• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

You could try to find some smallcap stocks but those are risky as well...

Take a look at NVAX...it's between $5-6 a share. I think it will double in 2014, but don't take my word for it. You need to do research and then reach your own conclusion.

You could buy 15-20 shares as a start and see what happens.

The penny stocks I was looking at are medical marijuana stocks, specifically.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
What a shit day. People are trading on reading stock price charts.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Am I the only happy person today? Up almost 7% on NVAX and 75% on MSTX if you count after hours.

Given that basically all index funds went down today: yes, yes you are. :p

The only thing on my watchlist (not owned) that went up in any kind of noticeable way was GIL.TO

Piecake

Given that basically all index funds went down today: yes, yes you are. :p

The only thing on my watchlist (not owned) that went up in any kind of noticeable way was GIL.TO

You gotta cultivate a long term view of Index funds since stress free investing (or at least a lot less) is definitely one of the benefits to index fund investing. Mine dropped like everyone elses and I couldnt care less. Not like I plan on selling them any time soon

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
You gotta cultivate a long term view of Index funds since stress free investing (or at least a lot less) is definitely one of the benefits to index fund investing. Mine dropped like everyone elses and I couldnt care less. Not like I plan on selling them any time soon

Oh yeah of course, I was mostly joking. My index funds DID go down, but I don't really care, it's not like i'm planning on selling them anytime soon, like you said. As long as I'm up overall, I'm happy.

Ah to be fair I'm down 3% today on OLED and that's my largest holding.

Dat selective reporting. :p I'm way too worried about penny stocks like MSTX. You either make a ton or lose everything, i can't do that.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oh yeah of course, I was mostly joking. My index funds DID go down, but I don't really care, it's not like i'm planning on selling them anytime soon, like you said. As long as I'm up overall, I'm happy.

Dat selective reporting. :p I'm way too worried about penny stocks like MSTX. You either make a ton or lose everything, i can't do that.

It'll probably be over a dollar tomorrow. Hehe. I think they're a legit company with a potential good drug. Just need a partnership announced to bring it to the next level. No debt. So far there are sound company fundamentals. Time will tell tho.

percephone

Neo Member
Am I the only happy person today? Up almost 7% on NVAX and 75% on MSTX if you count after hours.

I closed a position for 1800$ profit. Surprisingly, all my other stocks stayed in the green even with the market been down. +28.75$ on 51k portofolio, what's not to like lol

Gamestop down over 10% pre-market after earnings. There was a 5-10% drop recently too. I believe next-gen consoles will remain largely physical sales for awhile, so this seems like an overreaction, considering buying it.

CrankyJay

Banned
Gamestop down over 10% pre-market after earnings. There was a 5-10% drop recently too. I believe next-gen consoles will remain largely physical sales for awhile, so this seems like an overreaction, considering buying it.

I shorted this in my paper account...vindication.

CrankyJay

Banned
Where are you getting this info? I'm seeing that it's at .78 and plummeting.

Haha it was...check the chart. Still holding.

At what price?

Shorted GME in my paper acct (not real money) at $48...I think eventually the company will go under.

What else is in your portfolio? You're making some mad dough. :p

Right now it's just NVAX, MSTX, and OLED...I dumped out of STXS for 20% gain and bailed on SPPI at like 40% loss =(

Karak

lol nice, what did you buy at?

I have been moving between FITX, GNRH and ERBB. I have bounced a couple good day trades with CBIS and MJNA but usually have been keeping to the above 3.

FITX was a massive gainer last week and again this week which felt good to get in on.
ERBB was fairly big for me yesterday as well. GNRH I hit right at the bump and got lucky but I stepped out pretty quickly.
I may do MJNA and PHOT again but haven't decided if they have a trend I like and feel comfortable with.

The penny stocks I was looking at are medical marijuana stocks, specifically.
They are great. But just divorce yourself from what you put in basically. I normally don't do that but with Penny's I do. It can help. Also if you have something like ERBB which has insane volume(for a MJ stock) you can throw around small amounts of shares very quickly(remember the day trader limit) and see a small increase in your portfolio.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
SSYS noooo:|

Would be more, but can't right now. Still in the green on that one at least. And good thing I'm split half-half with DDD.

edit: WTF why did Tesla jump 4% like crazy all of a sudden in like 5 minutes?

CrankyJay

Banned
SSYS noooo:|

Would be more, but can't right now. Still in the green on that one at least. And good thing I'm split half-half with DDD.

edit: WTF why did Tesla jump 4% like crazy all of a sudden in like 5 minutes?

ddd makes me sick....was looking at that last year at $35...before the split, as well as ssys at $66....i didn't understand the tech at the time. i suck.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ddd makes me sick....was looking at that last year at $35...before the split, as well as ssys at $66....i didn't understand the tech at the time. i suck.

I'm 51% up on DDD, 7.6% up on SSYS, got in both at the same time.

Just bought a bit more of SSYS since it is falling a lot. I sold all my AAPL shares for a small profit. Google's recent actions make me tired of holding AAPL stocks, they're moving at snails' pace. If Google ever drops like they did a few months ago I'll get in. They'll be a trillion dollar market cap company eventually (of course not without hitting a bunch of anti-monopoly walls).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Anyone in Canada investing in US stocks? The CAD sucks so much:(

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Well you make less money, you're basically buying USD with CAD, so right now it's costing more. You make more money on the way back if things remain the same, but if you buy now and sell at the same price after the CAD goes back up, you lose money. That's why I moved money to a USD account before.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Bought some more NKE today after selling AAPL yesterday.

Looking at ADS, what's the difference between ADS ETR and ADS FRA?

GhaleonEB

So. Potentially dumb question here. Be kind.

My wife and I decided mid last year to cap the number of company stock shares we own. After not selling any for several years in a row they've accumulated to a decent share of our portfolio, so we're limiting our exposure and pouring the excess into our retirement accounts (which is how we maxed last year).

We get stock through two programs. The first are restricted stock (RSU's) granted as part of my annual performance review, which vest over a few years. The second is an employee stock purchase program, where we contribute deductions from our paycheck and then twice annually it's put toward a purchase of shares, at a significant discount. The discount means even though we're limiting our exposure to company stock, we're still maxing in the program since it's a guaranteed substantial minimum return.

So, even though we're capping the shares we own, we still get stock flowing in three times a year. So, we gotta sell that same number of shares each year.

My question is, how to prioritize selling the blocks of shares as they come in? My thinking is, since we're capping it to a set number, each share is basically fungible as they are all worth the exact same at any given moment. So I'm selling the shares that get us hit with the least taxes on sale. That means looking at shares held over 12 months so they're taxed as capital gains, and then selling the shares that have the smallest tax implications from that pool.

The flip side to that is I'm selling the shares that have made the smallest return, which is on the face, like, dumb.

I've mentally tied myself into a pretzel between those two lines of reasoning. How would you guys approach this?

percephone

Neo Member
I've mentally tied myself into a pretzel between those two lines of reasoning. How would you guys approach this?

For tax purpose, you have to calculate your adjusted cost base of the same type of securities as you buy/sell those.

ex. Bought 100 @ 40$
Bought 100 @ 50$ , ACB is 200 @ 45 for 9000$
Sold 100 @ 60 for 6000$ , Gain is 1500$, ACB is 100 @ 45 for 4500$

Someone just hit the reset on that stock, wiping out the last 8-9 months of gains that it made. Ouch. Bad holiday sales it seems?

They put out an excuse ridden statement or PR as to why their holiday sales were down. Aggressive pricing from competitors, low supply of big sellers, lack of foot traffic, etc, etc. I don't get reasoning like this. Yeah that may be the reason your sales are down but guess what? If you want to survive, you have to deal with it and find a way around it.

CrankyJay

Banned
I'm almost certain you'll want to try to sell the shares that you've held for >12 months as a priority. I'm not sure how you go about determining which shares are which, but if there is a way, yeah, go for the older ones first.

you don't tell which shares are which, you just sell a number of shares that you know are greater than >12 and claim them as long

CrankyJay

Banned
I see, that makes more sense. Thanks. I've never sold only part of my holding in a company and thus never encountered that issue yet.

You can report them however you want to be honest...there are different tax strategies you can employ such as First In First Out (FIFO), or Last In First Out (LIFO)...I guess most people would want FIFO so they can sell shares when they are long so they are taxed less.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Elon Musk! I mean SCTY! Up 10% today. I'm up 76% on this one.

Top Bottom