• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Street Fighter V is a PS4 console exclusive" (PlayStation Blog)

JP

Not interested in the game myself but there does seem to have been confusion about what "exclusive" meant, Ono has now posted on the PlayStation Blog seemingly ro clarify any confusion.

Yoshinori Ono said:
Hey guys, big news: Street Fighter V is coming and will be console exclusive to the PlayStation 4. What’s even bigger news is that our partnership with Sony will result in SFV having cross-platform play, which will in turn unite our Street Fighter fans into one grand player base. That’s right; PS4 owners will now be able to lay the smack down against PC owners and vice-versa, a first for the Street Fighter series!

PlayStation Blog (7th December)

EDIT:
Just adding that the thread title I've used is the title that Ono gave to his post on the blog to clarify the exclusivity.

EDIT 2:
I know that it seemed obvious that it was an exclusive but in other threads not everybody was clear about that or wasn't clear about accepting that it was. The exclusivity shouldn't really be news to anybody but for whatever reason Ono still felt the need to post on the blog using the title that I've used here which emphasise that point.

It doesn't apply to everybody but it's an easily avoidable thread for people the people who don't need any clarification.
Amazing box cover
15774215657_dbc508b182_b.jpg

Some hi res pics from the blog

15337664694_a634bc6d6e_o.png

15772664490_204ceb36aa_o.png

Percy

Banned
I don't think there was much confusion as much as there was unwillingness to accept tbh.

Some upset is definitely understandable though, considering. No one likes to miss out.

Kayant

But the hype doesn’t stop there as Sony is also bringing USFIV to the PlayStation 4 brought to you by their Third Party Production Group! As you guys can see, the partnership has only just begun and it’s already a huge win for the community.

Well I guess that indeed sounds like they are co-developing it.

JP

It really wasnt confusing. Adam BOyes said on stage that the PS4 willb e the only console it comes to.
You're really quoting the wrong person, it's always seemed clear to me although according to some other people's posts they seemed to misunderstand what was meant by the announcement.

StuBurns

Banned
They don't exist yet, so cannot be clarified.
Right, but they will, and Sony/Capcom will already know if they're going to be exclusive or not.

There is no practical difference between a one year exclusivity window on a game and an eternal exclusivity on a game that will be replaced in one year.

Not clarified.

Is Super Street Fighter V or Street Fighter V Turbo also exclusive?

why it isnt wrong to expect them based on well previous games, I swear I saw a gaffer saying, someone said that SF5 would be the only release and it would get updates (I'm assuming dlc updates, instead of disc re release like super they will be dl only). Whether the person they were quoting or even the gaffer themselves was telling the truth only time will tell.

Wanchan

People with shit PC trying to run it with ULTRA GFX@15FPS will ruin PS4 users experience, can't wait for all the crossplay rage.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
People with shit PC trying to run it with ULTRA GFX@15FPS will ruin PS4 users experience, can't wait for all the crossplay rage.

...Or the game will display the players' system performance grades like SF4 does on PC and that won't matter. Probably a safe bet that you'll be able to use PS4, PC, and All filtering options when finding/creating matches, too. That's how cross-play works between PS3 and Vita with SFxTK and PS3/PS4 with Guilty Gear Xrd.

-PXG-

Yeah...I don't think there has been any confusion. I think everyone is on board with the fact this game is only on PS4 and PC.

MercuryLS

Banned
I'd be really surprised if a Super/Turbo version of this game isn't made available on XB1. Regardless I'll wait for this to be released on disc with all the future DLC content before I buy it. I never buy a Capcom game day 1 on consoles, there's almost always a better version coming in a year.

orioto

Good Art™
I think that was pretty clear when there was "exclusive to PC and PS4" displayed on the leaked trailer..

gngf123

The only thing that annoys me is the term "console exclusive".

I mean, I understand it and all. But I've got another term for things that come out on multiple platforms, "not exclusive". It's just marketing and it is silly.

That aside, I generally like what is going on here and am really looking forward to cross play from my PC.

I'd be really surprised if a Super/Turbo version of this game isn't made available on XB1. Regardless I'll wait for this to be released on disc with all the future DLC content before I buy it.

considering 4 is only getting that next year with its current gen release, i'd say you'll be waitiing 5-6 years for that, if it ever comes

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I didn't know there was confusion, they explained it pretty well on stage I thought. This is nothing like the whole Tomb Raider thing which was obviously worded very carefully at the time, and then they came out and said it was exclusive for a time but wouldn't say how long.

Just like titanfall on XB1?

There wasn't much confusion with that really, we all knew it was timed, the developers even hinted as much. That was before it was officially announced that MS had outright bought exclusivity for the first game a couple months before release, I haven't seen anyone mention it since. As far as anyone knows any future sequel will be multi-platform.

m@cross

Do you honestly think Capcom really cares that much about cross-platform play that they'll just ignore the Xbone? Really?

If it sells well on PC/PS4 and the cross platform play is popular, I do think they will consider ignoring XB1, especially if XB1 fails to close the gap with the PS4 in sales.

Nzyme32

Hey guys, big news: Street Fighter V is coming and will be console exclusive to the PlayStation 4. What’s even bigger news is that our partnership with Sony will result in SFV having cross-platform play, which will in turn unite our Street Fighter fans into one grand player base. That’s right; PS4 owners will now be able to lay the smack down against PC owners and vice-versa, a first for the Street Fighter series!

This is as I thought. With cross-play I've been thinking they want to create a more cohesive community for Street Fighter, and will likely try and push the esports and tournaments angle to keep it as alive as possible. This could work out to be fantastic

StuBurns

Banned
The only thing that annoys me is the term "console exclusive".

I mean, I understand it and all. But I've got another term for things that come out on multiple platforms, "not exclusive". It's just marketing and it is silly.

That aside, I generally like what is going on here and am really looking forward to cross play from my PC.
I don't know why people always say this.

Exclusive does not mean one. It means limited. An exclusive club has more than one member, exclusive items are produced in more than quantities of one, etc, etc.

However, I don't like the term 'console exclusive', because to me it should be referring to things like Vanquish and RDR, games that are multiplatform, but console exclusive.

Ysiadmihi

Banned

In SF4 PC, online play always forces the game into a "Fixed" framerate mode, which means if your PC can't handle 60fps it will skip frames rather than slowing the game down. I see no reason why this wouldn't be in SF5, especially since it has crossplay.

I didn't know there was confusion, they explained it pretty well on stage I thought. This is nothing like the whole Tomb Raider thing which was obviously worded very carefully at the time, and then they came out and said it was exclusive for a time but wouldn't say how long.

There wasn't much confusion with that really, we all knew it was timed, the developers even hinted as much. That was before it was officially announced that MS had outright bought exclusivity for the first game a couple months before release, I haven't seen anyone mention it since. As far as anyone knows any future sequel will be multi-platform.

well if that documentary is to be believed, and i'm giving Respawn the benefit of the doubt here now, then that game would have ceased to exist as they didn't have the funds to finish it and EA didn't want to put anymore in.

Curufinwe

Right, but they will, and Sony/Capcom will already know if they're going to be exclusive or not.

There is no practical difference between a one year exclusivity window on a game and an eternal exclusivity on a game that will be replaced in one year.

It's amazing you not only know that these games will be released, but when they will be released.

Tizoc

All things considered, Ryu fought against the following
Size and shape shifting mutant demi-god (Apolcaypse)
Whatever the fuck Onslaught is
A dinosaur/dragon hybrid (Hauzer)
A reality destroying entity that made of goo/fluid/lava (Abyss in MvC2)
Deep sea Submarine crushing strongman (Gouki/Akuma)
Giant ass robots (Sentinel, Jack-X)

So him looking swole/roided up would be the end result of having to deal with all that whackiness.

gngf123

I don't know why people always say this.

Exclusive does not mean one. It means limited. An exclusive club has more than one member, exclusive items are produced in more than quantities of one, etc, etc.

However, I don't like the term 'console exclusive', because to me it should be referring to things like Vanquish and RDR, games that are multiplatform, but console exclusive.

That too. I actually didn't mind it at all in the original leak, when they put it in plain terms: "Coming exclusively to PS4 and PC".

They changed that because they wanted to focus on the PS4 version, which is fair. I still don't like the term.

StuBurns

Banned
It's amazing you not only know that these games will be released, but when they will be released.
What difference does it make when they're released? If it's a year, or eighteen months, or two years, it's irrelevant. The point is there's no difference between windowed exclusivity and eternal exclusivity when the product is destined to be replaced.

And while I don't know for a fact there will be Street Fighter 5 iterations, as there has been for 2, Alpha, 3 and 4, and those 3D ones no one talks about, I feel pretty confident that there will be.

And even if there won't be, Sony/Capcom could just clarify that too. "SF5 will be the only release of the game. Breaking from the series tradition, no future iterations will be issued."

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Do you honestly think Capcom really cares that much about cross-platform play that they'll just ignore the Xbone? Really?

Sure. The only reason the 360 was played was cause the PS3 version was deficient, which would not be the case for the lead platform PS4 version of this game or the Ultra SF4 port by Sony's third party team.

Not only that, but they are getting cross platform play. Pretty sure they know where their boundaries are.

It seems people fail to understand that Sony really are co-developing, so it stands to reason that the same budgetary restrictions like having to re-release the game multiple times to make that money back would no longer apply

Josh5890

I suck horribly at fighting games but for some reason I still love Street Fighter. I'm sure I will pick this game up.
and probably play it for 4-5 hours before realizing I suck at it and can't win one game online and quit
:)

lol OP who gave you the idea that people were confused? where did you get the idea from? did you watch the trailer? watched the conference? as imo there were no confussion

Top Bottom