• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Street Fighter V is a PS4 console exclusive" (PlayStation Blog)

Gurrry

If Capcom really couldn't afford to make the game, it doesn't suck for anyone. PS4 owners get the game, PC owners get the game, XBO owners get the game to exist, and the potential to buy a platform with it on.

Everybody wins.

Dude theres just no way. If Capcom didnt have the money to make their biggest/best selling franchise, they shouldnt be making any more games at all.

I can assure you that Capcom was making this game without anyones financial backing.

Reset

People with shit PC trying to run it with ULTRA GFX@15FPS will ruin PS4 users experience, can't wait for all the crossplay rage.

I'm sure they'll give you an option to face PS4 players or PC players only.
On the StreetFighter x Tekken, you had a choice if you wanted to face Vita owners,PS3 owners, or both.

StuBurns

Banned
Dude theres just no way. If Capcom didnt have the money to make their biggest/best selling franchise, they shouldnt be making any more games at all.

I can assure you that Capcom was making this game without anyones financial backing.

It's not their biggest, it's at least third behind Resident Evil and Monster Hunter, and your assurance doesn't mean much. Evidence would, so if you have some, I'm happy to read it.

Endo Punk

Ono made it clear at PSX that they approaced Sony for partnership. It sucks that it is only one console platform but on the bright something good came out of it with cross play. Capcom is hurting for money so I doubt this will be their last partnership with console makers.

Skilletor

Wouldn't their biggest franchise be resident evil?

Gurrry

It's not their biggest, it's at least third behind Resident Evil and Monster Hunter, and your assurance doesn't mean much. Evidence would, so if you have some, I'm happy to read it.

And you have evidence saying that this game was never going to be made without the help of Sony?

If so, id be happy to read it.

Salex_

The worst business practice going on right now other than day 1 dlc. Anyone suggesting this game wouldnt have been made without the help of Sony might need to check themselves into a psych ward. This is Capcoms biggest franchise (atleast in America), this game was always going to be made.
It's not their biggest franchise in America or the world.

If you're talking about being the most recognizable? Yeah, it probably is.

N30RYU

Maybe in two or three years capcom could have done the game (now looks like with all the other games in development doesn't have the resources)... but if sony put money to have it in the making early good for sony, the same way was good for MS putting money in Dead Rising 3.

gngf123

It's not even close to their biggest franchise. That would be Monster Hunter.

From the other thread, I remember reading that they have quite a low budget to spend on console games now ($46m I think? Will look). It is not surprising that they would look to external funding if that is the case.

Gurrry

It's not their biggest franchise in America or the world.

Ok, then I stand corrected on that.

Regardless, Street Fighter is a historic franchise. I think more people in America know about SF than RE, but thats not really the point. Everyone is saying that the game was never going to be made without Sony help, and I find that extremely hard to believe.

Capcom would have made the game regardless.

N30RYU

Regardless, Street Fighter is a historic franchise. I think more people in America know about SF than RE, but thats not really the point. Everyone is saying that the game was never going to be made without Sony help, and I find that extremely hard to believe.

The same way capcom could have made Dead Rising 3 regardless MS money at any point in the future...

It was probably going to be made regardless yeah, but it likely would have been way lower budget and would have come out way later. A Capcom executive straight up said not to expect it until 2018 at one point. Given all that we know about how Capcom operates in regards to getting games greenlit and sales projections, it's pretty obvious that they were hesitant about going about it on their own.

And I'm pretty sure RE is Capcom's biggest franchise, Not SF. Capcom seemed perfectly content leaving the series dead after Third Strike and probably would have left it that way had Ono not begged for them to take a chance on SFIV.

N30RYU

That article is talking about a port of USF4 to next gen, not SFV.

"I'd like to try to Next-Gen for FG... However we dont have resorce..."

FG, aka Fighting game, pretty much includes any fighting game USF4 or SF5... and in the end both are coming to PS4.

8ifOEaN.png

uBPDljA.jpg

EvB

The same way capcom could have made Dead Rising 3 regardless MS money at any point in the future...

For reference Street Fighter 4 sold more than 4x what Dead Rising 2 did. It was somewhat of an expensive mistake for capcom

cackhyena

This soon? No.

StuBurns

Banned
"I'd like to try to Next-Gen for FG... However we dont have resorce..."

FG, aka Fighting game, pretty much includes any fighting game USF4 or SF5... and in the end both are coming to PS4.
I actually think USF4 is a more interesting case. Sony are porting it, no? But it's only timed exclusive, does that mean Capcom are going to pay for an XBO port themselves after the exclusive window, or is it actually exclusive, but they just called it an exclusive debut because it's not contracted?

I don't even understand how they can not have the budget to port SSF4. It's already x86 and runs on anything. It seriously seems like it'd be dirt cheap to port.

Gurrry

This soon? No.

Yeah, maybe not as soon.

But all I said was that they were going to make the game regardless. And it would have been made, maybe not as quick with the help of Sony, but youre never going to convince me that after 15 iterations of SF4, each selling nearly a million, that they were going throw the franchise in the trash and never make a next-gen SF game.

N30RYU

For reference Street Fighter 4 sold more than 4x what Dead Rising 2 did. It was somewhat of an expensive mistake for capcom

DR2, and DR2: Off the record (PS3,360,PC) ~3,000,000 units solds
SFIV (PS3, 360, PC, 3DS) ~8,000,000

JP

I don't think there's been any suggestion that the Street Fighter V wouldn't have existed at some point, what seems to have been suggested by Capcom/Ono over the past few months was that they were a long way from being able to work on the game because it isn't like releasing FIFA where you're almost guaranteed crazy sales. Although I hate the word, Street Fighter is far more hardcore and although there is a dedicated fan-base it isn't isn't big enough for them to be able to throw out new Street Fighters every year if they wanted to do that.

Street Fighter IV is five years (6?) old now and although they're still able to make sales on each interaction of SFIV there are without a doubt diminishing returns with each iteration. There was over ten years between the launches of III & IV and the number of sales that IV had means there was nothing to suggest that we wouldn't have been waiting another five years for SFV.

What's been suggested is that Sony were proactive about the PS4 versions of these two games and there are people in Sony actually taking part in building the games in some way or another.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Resident Evil doesn't even get anymore funding for large budgets what with the remakes of remakes and bottom of the barrel episodic slices of content. Especially after DmC failing to light the charts on fire, Lost planet a failure and the 1000 person developed RE6 underperforming both critically and commercially..SFXT its own brand of failure...they've lost more than half their shares in the past few years alone....

I'm just wondering what world some people are coming from where Capcom is this rich player who wants to throw money at console oriented big projects from any dev in their company who comes asking for funding, just because its legacy content or attached to a name brand. They've milked SF4 for 6 years on last gen for a reason. Without safety nets, and probably even with safety nets, they are going mobile and handheld only before too long. The fate of all these large conglomerates.

Thanks Sony for giving Ono a hand in the mean time though.

Having a PC option here with cross-play prevents me from having to buy a new stick.

I am satisfied, though I'm disappointed that I won't be able to play with my brother who only has a One.

Why does Ryu have gloves?? isnt his point to hurt the opponent? I don't get it...
Gloves are to protect your hands, not your opponents face.

JimiNutz

Banned
That Ryu art looks amazing.

Really?
I remember Gears of War constantly getting shit about its characters being roided up meat heads (despite the fact that it made sense from a design perspective since they were sliders fighting a physical war against hulking monsters).

But Ryu, who is a martial artist, is roided up to high haven to the point where his fucking forearms are probably bigger than the average Gaffers thighs and everyone is cool with it?

The art style in this game is fucking ridiculous.

People with shit PC trying to run it with ULTRA GFX@15FPS will ruin PS4 users experience, can't wait for all the crossplay rage.

PC makes you run a Bench Mark before you go online, 98% of players i have played have the best rating, I average 198FPS, PC doesn't have bad match up because of shitty PC, PC have bad match up because CAPCOM fucked over PC and made one of the worst netcodes ever..

You shouldn't be worried about PC performance you should pray Capcom makes a good netcode..

N30RYU

The fact that he remembered that old tweet and actually replied now indicates that fanboys truly go off the deep end most of the time. Seriously who does stuff like this?
Good for him if he remembered, to be sorry for Yusuf as an XBone owner

StuBurns

Banned
Resident Evil doesn't even get anymore funding for large budgets what with the remakes of remakes and bottom of the barrel episodic slices of content. Especially after DmC failing to light the charts on fire, Lost planet a failure and the 1000 person developed RE6 underperforming both critically and commercially..SFXT its own brand of failure...they've lost more than half their shares in the past few years alone....

I'm just wondering what world some people are coming from where Capcom is this rich player who wants to throw money at console oriented big projects from any dev in their company who comes asking for funding, just because its legacy content or attached to a name brand. They've milked SF4 for 6 years on current gen for a reason. Without safety nets, and probably even with safety nets, they are going mobile and handheld only before too long. The fate of all these large conglomerates.

Thanks Sony for giving Ono a hand in the mean time though.
And Dragon's Dogma, their biggest bomb.

They gave NT DMC so the DMC team could work on a new huge budget RPG franchise, it was their most expensive project until RE6, and damn, flatlined like a mar'fucker.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Really?
I remember Gears of War constantly getting shit about its characters being roided up meat heads (despite the fact that it made sense from a design perspective since they were sliders fighting a physical war against hulking monsters).

But Ryu, who is a martial artist, is roided up to high haven to the point where his fucking forearms are probably bigger than the average Gaffers thighs and everyone is cool with it?

The art style in this game is fucking ridiculous.

His arms are still thinner than Chunner's thighs.

Daingurse

Having a PC option here with cross-play prevents me from having to buy a new stick.

I am satisfied, though I'm disappointed that I won't be able to play with my brother who only has a One.

Yeah, I got a TE SFIV 360 stick, and it works great on PC. If I pick this up, it'll most definitely be on PC. Cross Platform play sealed the deal.

cackhyena

Yeah, maybe not as soon.

But all I said was that they were going to make the game regardless. And it would have been made, maybe not as quick with the help of Sony, but youre never going to convince me that after 15 iterations of SF4, each selling nearly a million, that they were going throw the franchise in the trash and never make a next-gen SF game.

Yeah, it would have eventually been made. As a super fan of the series, though, I can't help but be excited we're getting the next one so soon. If I only owned an X1, I'd be pissed, but owning all three consoles and a decent PC, I'm set. It is what it is, and there's no going back now. I'd prefer cross play with all consoles getting love, though.

Yeah, I got a TE SFIV 360 stick, and it works great on PC. If I pick this up, it'll most definitely be on PC. Cross Platform play sealed the deal.
Yep I have the same stick with a mod for PS3 compatibility that doesn't work on PS4. I'm not ready to be bothered with trying to make a new mod or a 3rd PCB work, and without a decent converter yet, this being on PC saves me some money for now.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Sweet cover. 'Only on PlayStation' is a lie tho. I guess they are pulling the same thing Microsoft did last gen with games that were on the 360 and PC only, claiming exclusivity.

PC is always considered to be another world altogether in these things to the point where some games receive a shy Steam logo at the end of the trailer and that's it.

Top Bottom