• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Street Fighter V is a PS4 console exclusive" (PlayStation Blog)

I think alot of people are being misinformed by youtube personalities. Just hearing Angry Joe is so maddening. Im sure there are others who are ignorant of the subject, believe Capcom makes a killing of SF and Sony basically paid off Capcom to not release SF5 on Xbone.

Sorry for bringing AJ into this. Like he is neutral. He was a 360 owner last gen and this one he bought a PS4. But seems like some of his bias or maybe the Tomb Raider Fiasco left a bad taste on his mouth and believes that Sony really just money hatted the game. I kept reading the reveal thread and people have posted links to their yearly income things and its apparent what you are saying is true.

Ono said himself that they had no resources to port USF4 for next gen and it took Sony's 3rd party relations team to port it over thus being only on PS4 but its nothing about money hatting shit. I wish like alot of gamers who are dismayed that both titles would be out on both platforms but seems Capcom just arent willing to put that investment in the franchise right now.

Pretty much. People keep saying that Capcom didn't need the money because SFV was an inevitability with or without Sony's help. Well, SFIV was also an inevitability but it still took a decade to materialise after the initial release of SFIII.

While Street Fighter is really popular, it's not as big a deal for Capcom as many seem to give it credit for. As I've mentioned elsewhere in the thread, Monster Hunter and Resident Evil are their breadwinners.

I honestly do believe Ono when he says that he didn't even have the resources to port Ultra to PS4/Xbox One, let alone fund a current gen only Street Fighter V from the ground up because all the evidence is plain to see.

stryke

I guess I could go look at Capcom' s financials but it's incredibly hard to believe we're in a world where SFV wouldn't exist without external involvement.

• Having MS out of the picture allows for cross-platorm play and a unified fan base.
  • Having Sony in the picture may have allowed the game to have been made at all.
  • Being made for fewer platforms means the game can better leverage the platforms in question, likely comes out sooner and with fewer bugs, and costs less to produce, increasing the chance of future support.

They're blocking your cock with their mouths, dude.

This might be my favorite post in the thread.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So yeah... I guess this is more of a Bayonetta 2 situation than a Rise of Tomb Raider situation.

Have a PS4...going PC because fuck the cockblocking of this game.

I don't think being a hero about this is going to change anything for them.

I don't even own a PS4 and I think this news is awesome. We need some spice added to this console cycle. SFV is probably one of the games that will cause me to buy a PS4 if I don't already have one by the time it comes out and I t'll be awesome to see what Capcom does to squeeze as much as they can out of the PS4 without considering the others.

• Having MS out of the picture allows for cross-platorm play and a unified fan base.
  • Having Sony in the picture may have allowed the game to have been made at all.
  • Being made for fewer platforms means the game can better leverage the platforms in question, likely comes out sooner and with fewer bugs, and costs less to produce, increasing the chance of future support.

The best thing about this is no console parity bullshit.

Because the intersection between people that want to buy/play Street Fighter V and people who own a PS4 or gaming PC is not 100%, this decision formally excludes Xbox One, Wii U, 3DS, and Vita? owners who may have purchased the title if it had been available to them.

I don't have a good breakdown for PC/PS3/360 sales of Street Fighter 4 and revisions, but I can point to 1.1 Million 3DS or n3DS sales that will not be happening this time around.
Have they said handhelds are included in this deal? Consoles, handhelds, and PCs are all considered different market segments, generally. If Sony had locked up handheld exclusivity too, I would've thought they'd mention something about a Vita version.

Portal 2 had cross-platform play(PS3/PC) and that was not exclusive, so I'm not buying that. Has Sony said otherwise?
Well, Ono said so in the OP, so sorry.

Anyway, MS hold devs to feature parity, which effectively allows them to veto features on other platforms if they're not available on XBox. As with launch parity, they grant exceptions on a case by case basis, but the only way to be certain you don't run afoul of forced parity is to avoid dealing with MS altogether.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
"I'll give a middle finger to Sony and Capcom's joint venture by giving money to Capcom!"

Sounds legitimate.

If people want to cry about joint ventures, do it in a situation where its reasonable to actually be indignant.

If MS were funding TR2, it would be the same situation.

Titanfall as well, would have been the same situation, if the deal had been that along with funding came exclusivity, and not sleazy going behind respawns back to EA at zero hour.

Clawww

lmfao

IzzyF3

It's not just money right? I'm hearing a lot of Sony lending a developing hand too. If it was co-developed with Sony, then why would anyone think it should come to Microsoft's console? If it really was just money, then complain away.

Nephtes

Amazing box cover
15774215657_dbc508b182_b.jpg

I just want to know... If I buy SFV for my PC because I already have arcade sticks compatible with it, does Sony make any money off me? I really don't want to buy a PS4 arcade stick...

Skilletor

I just want to know... If I buy SFV for my PC because I already have arcade sticks compatible with it, does Sony make any money off me? I really don't want to buy a PS4 arcade stick...

I don't understand how any of the things in this sentence correlate.

Why would you have to buy a ps4 arcade stick to play the game on PC?

Nephtes

I don't understand how any of the things in this sentence correlate.

Why would you have to buy a ps4 arcade stick to play the game on PC?

I have a PS4 and a PC as well as 2 Madcatz TE arcade sticks that work with the PC
I don't want to buy a PS4 arcade stick...so I'd get SFV for the PC.

Does Sony get any money from my PC purchase of SFV?

Not sure what's hard to follow about that...
Doesn't Sony deserve my money for making this game happen?

Skilletor

I have a PS4 and a PC as well as 2 Madcatz TE arcade sticks that work with the PC
I don't want to buy a PS4 arcade stick...so I'd get SFV for the PC.

Does Sony get any money from my PC purchase of SFV?

Not sure what's hard to follow about that...
Doesn't Sony deserve my money for making this game happen?

You want sony to get money from the transaction?

That's what's hard to follow. lol.

eso76

Yeah, I started suspecting as much as soon as I read "EXCLUSIVELY ON PS4 AND PC" in the teaser.
I figured they might be hinting at something there.

Salex_

It's their gamble to take. Will the co-production cost savings make up for the Millions of lost sales on other platforms? Capcom will find out. Best case scenario: It doesn't hurt the Franchise too bad; Worst case: The franchise goes into a fiery tailspin like the SoulCalibur franchise did with SoulCalibur 3.

The risk to the franchise is way more extreme than whatever costs they may save from a coproduction.

There's is no millions unless the genre rises like a phoenix (in sells) in 2016.
I guess I could go look at Capcom' s financials but it's incredibly hard to believe we're in a world where SFV wouldn't exist without external involvement.

I made a post speculating on that yesterday. It starts to make sense to me when I add everything up. Factor in the rising development cost and I don't see SFV being able to do as well as SF4 did back in 2009. I think I read their investments in mobile gaming failed as well? Not sure about that.
sf55xset.png

There's another tweet saying he didn't have the resources to port USF4 to current gen, which was true. Sony's 3rd party production team is porting it to PS4.

There isn't enough information to 100% confirm the SFV "wouldn't be made without Sony (or wouldn't come out anytime soon w/o them" right now.

Capcom's current/upcoming console/PC output it shows a common theme though. They needed MS to make Dead Rising 3, teaming up with Sony for Deep Down/Panta Rhei engine, and upcoming Resident Evil game is being split into parts. It really seems like they're struggling.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
It's their gamble to take. Will the co-production cost savings make up for the Millions of lost sales on other platforms? Capcom will find out. Best case scenario: It doesn't hurt the Franchise too bad; Worst case: The franchise goes into a fiery tailspin like the SoulCalibur franchise did with SoulCalibur 3.
Tailspin?

Last two SC's have sold in the 2million range. SCV outsold TTT2.

Squishy3

It's not that they didn't have the money perse, they just likely didn't have any budget left over to allocate towards putting SFV into full production. Hence why we have that one quote from a producer saying it would take until 2018.

With the Sony deal, that's no longer the case, and they can enter full production now.

KaYotiX

Banned
I really wanna see the net code before I say I'm gonna buy it. I have a bad feeling about cross play net code.

If I do get it, it will be on PC

crinale

Many major Japanese third party devs (Square Enix, Koei Techmo, Bandai Namco, Konami and such) have either some other source of revenue to fall back on, or moderate to good success on mobile gaming front, giving them to take some risk on console AAA titles. On the other hand Capcom has been doing extremely poorly on mobile gaming industry..
That may add one reason for them to agree with co-development and exclusivity deal.

Fmal

Banned
If it only being on one console means that I don't have to worry about the game's framerate getting all fuckey on particular stages I'm more than okay with exclusivity.

RibMan

The risk to the franchise is way more extreme than whatever costs they may save from a coproduction.

Personally, I wouldn't deprive myself of a favorite game because the company that develops it is trying to reduce some costs, but I'm not going to contribute to the company that's financing it from not appearing on other platforms. PC sounds like a great Compromise here.

I'm afraid you're terribly wrong on this one.

The Street Fighter franchise would have been at risk if the Xbox One was the market leader. It's common sense; if your software isn't on the hardware that sells the most, then your software has less of a guarantee of doing well in the market. Think about it like this - if a music artist isn't offering their music on iTunes, then the music artist has less of a guarantee of high album sales in the industry. Their risk is higher because they're not offering their product on the platform that can bring the most success to their product.

Another way to think about it is like this. When the Xbox 360 was the market leader, third-party PlayStation 3 exclusives were at risk of going through a "fiery tailspin" into oblivion. This is why franchises such as Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy, Virtua Fighter etc. made the jump to Xbox 360. Being exclusive to the PS3 meant that the franchises ran the risk of failure in the marketplace. The opposite wasn't true - being exclusive to the Xbox 360 did not mean that the titles had a high risk of failure. This is why games such as Bioshock, Mass Effect, Dead Rising, Braid etc. were console exclusive to the 360. The market leader is never the riskier option.

As it stands, the Xbox One is breathing in the US, gasping for air in Europe, and dead in Japan. The PS4 on the other hand is breathing in the US, breathing in Europe, and gasping for air in Japan. The reality is simple; Street Fighter 5 is a guaranteed multi-million seller on PS4. It is not a guaranteed multi-million seller on the Xbox One. This is the reason why Capcom are ok with not having Street Fighter 5 debut on the Xbox One - banking on the PS4 just isn't risky at all.

With all of that said, Capcom has a well-established history of releasing multiple versions of their Street Fighter games. I would be incredibly surprised if another version of SFV also happened to skip over the Xbox One.

ShinAmano

1 - I hear this a lot...is this only due to FF or is this something MS has come out and said no cross play period?

2 - It may have spread up the process, but only a crazy person would believe there would never be a street fighter 5

3 - maybe

Anyhow the news about SF5 is awesome and shit at the same time. SF is my all time favorite franchise and I can't wait for it. That said it sucks that the three people I like to play SF with have XB1. So my cock is too big for their mouth or something like that...

Renekton

If it only being on one console means that I don't have to worry about the game's framerate getting all fuckey on particular stages I'm more than okay with exclusivity.
on that note... I hope Sony could up the clock speed of PS4 Jaguar mildly with a patch someday

I'm afraid you're terribly wrong on this one.

The Street Fighter franchise would have been at risk if the Xbox One was the market leader. It's common sense; if your software isn't on the hardware that sells the most, then your software has less of a guarantee of doing well in the market. Think about it like this - if a music artist isn't offering their music on iTunes, then the music artist has less of a guarantee of high album sales in the industry. Their risk is higher because they're not offering their product on the platform that can bring the most success to their product.

Another way to think about it is like this. When the Xbox 360 was the market leader, third-party PlayStation 3 exclusives were at risk of going through a "fiery tailspin" into oblivion. This is why franchises such as Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy, Virtua Fighter etc. made the jump to Xbox 360. Being exclusive to the PS3 meant that the franchises ran the risk of failure in the marketplace. The opposite wasn't true - being exclusive to the Xbox 360 did not mean that the titles had a high risk of failure. This is why games such as Bioshock, Mass Effect, Dead Rising, Braid etc. were console exclusive to the 360. The market leader is never the riskier option.

As it stands, the Xbox One is breathing in the US, gasping for air in Europe, and dead in Japan. The PS4 on the other hand is breathing in the US, breathing in Europe, and gasping for air in Japan. The reality is simple; Street Fighter 5 is a guaranteed multi-million seller on PS4. It is not a guaranteed multi-million seller on the Xbox One. This is the reason why Capcom are ok with not having Street Fighter 5 debut on the Xbox One - banking on the PS4 just isn't risky at all.

With all of that said, Capcom has a well-established history of releasing multiple versions of their Street Fighter games. I would be incredibly surprised if another version of SFV also happened to skip over the Xbox One.
The 360 being the market leader wasn't the reason why Mass Effect was exclusive. Though you do make some good points overall.

1 - I hear this a lot...is this only due to FF or is this something MS has come out and said no cross play period?
The problem is, it's entirely at Microsoft's whim, and they can veto after the fact. It sounds like you basically give your PlayStation game to the MS rep, and if it has touchpad integration, hopefully he'll say, "Yeah, that's stupid; do whatever you want." The problem is, if it's Minority Report controls for your RTS, he may say, "This is amazing; you may never speak of it again." If he does, you can either disable the feature on PlayStation, or kiss all of the money you spent on XBox development goodbye. Totally your call there, obviously. No pressure either way; do what you think is best for you.

As to why MS limit cross-platform play at all, I think it goes back to when they were the only ones charging for multiplayer. They had their users convinced they were paying for something magically good, so if their users were able to play directly with other users, and see that their games in fact worked equally well, and for free, then Microsoft's users might start paying attention to the details, which is the last thing Microsoft need, obviously.

2 - It may have spread up the process, but only a crazy person would believe there would never be a street fighter 5
We don't know the financial details. We know Sony are assisting with development, and we know Ono had said multiple times in the past that Capcom didn't have the money to fund the project. They couldn't even afford to do a Gen8 port of Ultra; and in fact, Sony are doing the PS4 port entirely themselves.

3 - maybe
Almost assuredly, actually.

Anyhow the news about SF5 is awesome and shit at the same time. SF is my all time favorite franchise and I can't wait for it. That said it sucks that the three people I like to play SF with have XB1. So my cock is too big for their mouth or something like that...
It does suck for your friends, and if they don't want to get on board with PS4 or PC, I guess it sorta sucks for you too. But at the same time, everyone who is playing Street Fighter can face off against every other player in the world. Fighters without borders.

Also, it's still fairly early in the generation. There are millions of XBone owners in the wild, but that's really not all that many in the grand scheme of things. Hell, even though there are already way more PS4s, there really aren't that many PS4s in play either. The vast majority of the people buying this generation haven't even started thinking about buying yet. Since working on a single platform is better for the developer in every way, if there's already a clear market leader, and their hardware is more powerful and easier to code, then now is actually the perfect time to choose a side.

By choosing sides now, Ono sends a clear message to his fans about where they'll find his games this generation. Now you know. Sucks if you've already chosen the wrong side, but 90% of users haven't chosen yet, and of those who have, the vast majority have gone PlayStation, just like Ono. Now that Street Fighter fans know where the action is, some of them will say, "I'll buy the Turbo version with DLC in six months because fuck Sony, and I'll get it used* because fuck Ono. *
Thanks, Sony! <3!
" Others will say, "Perfect, it was gonna be better on PS4 anyway, and now it'll be exclusive-quality on top of that." I expect the latter group to be considerably larger than the former.

Again, it sucks for your friends, but those are the perils of being an early adopter in the tech wars. Sucked for Betamax and HD-DVD users too. Ono gave us a year to choose sides, and then he threw in with the winner. The fact that Sony happened to be the consumer choice works out particularly well, since they have way better hardware, and they pretty much let Ono do whatever he wants, like implement cross-platform play.

Top Bottom