• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V October Halloween Update

HotHamBoy

I don't understand this "guaranteed income" arguement. Isn't the game itself guaranteed income? They released it in an early access state, the sales should support the cost of finishing the game. I'm sure they still sell plenty of season passes, too, even with FM as an option. Do costumes really need to be $4 each to turn a nice profit? I some how doubt it.

MrCarter

That's completely disingenous, SF4 is 7 years old and the DLC for it became progressively cheaper as time went on, that Halloween pack was pretty much a last hurrah before everyone would switch to SF5 anyway.
It's also a complete false equivalence because the costumes in SF4 weren't the only source of guaranteed income

Exactly. I don't know why some people are comparing a 7 YEAR OLD game that was on it's last legs with a brand new entry. Ultra SFIV was the last entry that Capcom released (which I paid £20 for by the way) so to release some cheap cosmetic DLC was the least they could do.

I don't understand this "guaranteed income" arguement. Isn't the game itself guaranteed income? They released it in an early access state, the sales should support the cost of finishing the game. I'm sure they still sell plenty of season passes, too, even with FM as an option. Do costumes really need to be $4 each to turn a nice profit? I some how doubt it.

Yeah, the game itself is guaranteed income that is going to pay for 2+ seasons of characters, stages and costumes, because those don't require any labour at all.

vg260

And not everyone plays the game like you, this model doesn't support the people who feel they need everything.

Exactly. It only favors one extreme - those who want free characters at the expense of the rest. A better middle ground would serve more users better. I think they overcorrected.

One could ask this: Why do you need all the characters for free? How is asking to support the developers by paying for the hard work that goes into characters that are the meat of the game unreasonable? That's the hardest part of the game to develop. Aren't you being entitled by expecting that for free?

Not my argument exactly, but just an example of how their model can be divisive in terms of who it serves.

If you want the game to last as long as SF4 did with 7 years worth of updates and post release content, then yes, you definitely need additional sources of guaranteed income.

SF4 had 3 mandatory upgrade purchases over the years:
SSF4 - $40
AE- $15
Ultra- $15

SF5 will not have ANY of those. That's a lot of lost income to make up for while still providing the same consistent yearly support.

So, they decided to make up for it with higher-priced, cosmetic luxury items that are completely optional.

If you want the game to last as long as SF4 did with 7 years worth of updates and post release content, then yes, you definitely need additional sources of guaranteed income.

SSF4 - $40
AE- $15
Ultra- $15

SF5 will not have ANY of those. That's a lot of lost income to make up for while still providing the same consistent yearly support.

So, they decided to make up for it with higher-priced, cosmetic luxury items that are completely optional.

I get that, but I think they would get more folks to buy into this if they handled it differently.

Personally, I would buy a Halloween bundle Pack if it was reasonably priced, say $10.

However, as it stands I'm not buying any of it. Too over priced. No bundle. Limited time.

No thanks. Edit: I should add that I bought the season pass. I'm good with what I got for it and will continue to support the game if what is being offered is reasonable.

Cross post from the SFV OT:

Here's pics of all the alternate versions of the Halloween costumes alongside the standard versions...

1aoFLQF.jpg

PPsxNRa.jpg

gfWSPHo.jpg

bP4eClk.jpg

RR7s2o5.jpg

vyQhKRp.jpg

fY44jGV.jpg

DD4i0UX.jpg

See all the colors here.

A traditional arcade mode. Bonus stages. A traditional arcade mode.

Vanilla SF4 didn't have bonus stages either.

Vanilla SF3 didn't have bonus stages.

Super SF2 Turbo actually REMOVED the bonus stages, because they were a waste of time.

SF Alpha series didn't have bonus stages.

And, SF5 may be missing "traditional arcade mode"...but, it does have a cinematic story mode that no other SF game ever added. And, that cinematic story mode probably took about a million times more effort to create than "traditional arcade mode".

Anyways, people have recently data-mined SF5, and it looks like arcade mode is coming.

pizzacat

Banned
Same old arguments, same people arguing lol

I bought Alexs costume. I wish he had a toggle to take off the Bloodborne Hunter hat

Gren

Not interested in any of the costumes, but conflicted on the stage. Russia is pretty much the only BGM that I dislike, so I'd never pick it in Lounge.

Maybe I'll just use it as my main for Casuals, but I rarely even play that.

Moaradin

Not interested in any of the costumes, but conflicted on the stage. Russia is pretty much the only BGM that I dislike, so I'd never pick it in Lounge.

Maybe I'll just use it as my main for Casuals, but I rarely even play that.

The Halloween stage has new music

Gren

The Halloween stage has new music

Thanks for the heads up. It's already been uploaded on YT.

Could do without the vocals, but I like it more than vanilla Russia. Bought.

EDIT: Ugh, this doesn't sound like I thought it would during actual rounds (too much "Take this higher" per second). Into the Battle Settings you go.

Neoxon

I'm still a bit salty that Karin & Urien didn't get any Halloween costumes. It'd make it easier to give into the temptation of buying some of the costumes.

I'm heavily considering buying the Halloween costumes for almost everyone except Cammy, though. But at the same time, I'm setting cash aside for the Nostalgic Costumes for Alex & Ibuki.

lupinko

SSF4 - $40
AE- $15
Ultra- $15

There also isn't an arcade release for SFV, so that's extra lost revenue for Capcom.

Groof

Is there no way to buy these things other than the in game store? Really want the juri costume but I won't have access to my ps4 until December

Top Bottom