• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V October Halloween Update

Spman2099

But why couldn't Capcom go the AE/Ultra route with content updates via DLC and still maintain a unified userbase by having the balance patches and new features remain free for all?

Personally, I prefer the new system. I agree that the costumes are overpriced, and I think they need to adjust that, but I still think it is better that the characters be earnable.

MrCarter

vg260

Well apart from NetherRealm fucking over thier PC fan base you mean lol. I get where you're coming from in terms of the DLC pricing but I'm having a hard time agreeing with you about the Fight Money system. Yes, they could give us more FM via playing online and offline matches but other than that I think it's actually well implemented.

I get the sentiment about their treatment of the MKX PC fan base, so I'm not disagreeing it sucked being kept in the dark, but they eventually made it right.

Fwiw, they said on stream today they wanted to say something about the PC version, but could not say anything for some time. Also, they are making the PC XL upgrade half price for a limited time.

If you can forgive and forget all of Capcom's missteps, including deploying malware on users' PCs, surely you can't hold the PC thing over NetherRealm's head when they eventually makes things right, wouldn't you say?

But why couldn't Capcom go the AE/Ultra route with content updates via DLC and still maintain a unified userbase by having the balance patches and new features remain free for all?

But AE to Ultra did split the userbase; you couldn't play against AE or Super SFIV players unless you deleted the Ultra DLC (AE players could play against Super owners but the game's balance reverted to SSFIV. Vanilla Street Fighter IV players were left in a pool of their own).

I don't think anything about SFIV's DLC method was better than SFV's handling of it. The only criticism I have is the pricing of the costumes/lack of bundles. The Street Fighter V model will ensure all players are playing the same version of the game and won't force players to purchase characters they do not want just to play as just to access the one they do want.

MrCarter

I get the sentiment about their treatment of the MKX PC fan base, so I'm not disagreeing it sucked being kept in the dark, but they eventually made it right.

Fwiw, they said on stream today they wanted to say something about the PC version, but could not say anything for some time. Also, they are making the PC XL upgrade half price for a limited time.

If you can forgive and forget all of Capcom's missteps, including deploying malware on users' PCs, surely you can't hold the PC thing over NetherRealm's head when they eventually makes things right, wouldn't you say?

Many PC people felt they were robbed with MKXL because console players got everything while they were left with an unplayable version of an older game with no way to upgrade for a whole year - and I doubt even a half price upgrade will bring back a lot of players, but you are right it's good they are trying. By the way, in no way have I forgotten how Capcom messed up for the launch of SFV but like NetherRealm they have taken steps to fix the game but at a much faster rate.

Pompadour

That's what this is with the option of earning characters and stages for free. The primary difference is the prices are higher than they were in 4.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
That's not what Ultra did. You had to pay to play the current version.

*walks into a sfv thread* fanboys justifying their purchase and haters attacking fanboys/capcom. Another typical day in the life of sfv threads.

As for topic: cool costumes but terrible pricing. Should have sold them in a bundle like sfiv. Sfiv did dlc / iteration update right. They should have followed NRS MKX model on how to update your game with new content.

HotHamBoy

No, I know that's not what SFIV did, I'm saying why can't that be what SFV does?

Anyway.

That's good about the CPT split. Really should have provided that info when they first announced it, though.

vg260

Many PC people felt they were robbed with MKXL because console players got everything while they were left with an unplayable version of an older game with no way to upgrade for a whole year - and I doubt even a half price upgrade will bring back a lot of players, but you are right it's good they are trying. By the way, in no way have I forgotten how Capcom messed up for the launch of SFV but like NetherRealm they have taken steps to fix the game but at a much faster rate.

I guess it's debatable which is worse. The malware was a much more serious matter to me than dropping support. Both companies had their issues, so I don't think either is above criticism.

Regardless, back on point, in general the model for MKX works just fine with no one left behind, which was what I meant. People will always complain about buying a la carte and then a bundled edition coming later. If SF does that, it will happen with it.

I guess we just disagree that SF would have been better with a model like MKX or KI.

Neoxon

*walks into a sfv thread* fanboys justifying their purchase and haters attacking fanboys/capcom. Another typical day in the life of sfv threads.

As for topic: cool costumes but terrible pricing. Should have sold them in a bundle like sfiv. Sfiv did dlc / iteration update right. They should have followed NRS MKX model on how to update your game with new content.
I wouldn't say SFIV did it completely right since balance updates were locked behind new versions, thus fragmenting the player-base.

Spman2099

No, I know that's not what SFIV did, I'm saying why can't that be what SFV does?

Anyway.

That's good about the CPT split. Really should have provided that info when they first announced it, though.

That has been the story of Capcom's communication with SFV. Never even close to good enough...

HardRojo

I hardly feel the need to ignore people on NeoGAF, but today it felt completely necessary.

On topic: I hope the limited content is made available later, it'd be a shame to not be able to get it at a later date :(

I wouldn't say SFIV did it completely right since balance updates were locked behind new versions, thus fragmenting the player-base.
NRS dlc model imo is the best dlc system for modern fighting game. Capcoms dlc model just screams cash grab. Sfiv costumes were each very unique and sold at a much lesser price. I get it this game didn't do very good financially and capcom trying to cover losses. I bet the dlcs would have much cheaper if the game sold well.

1 day or no, the seriousness of the issue and the... well strait up greedy malicious intent to the degree in which the root kit was found to be rooted in actual malware... is something I think is worth remembering.

Do I think its worth shit posting, nah. I don't think you are going to get any honest discussion out of that. Like strait up, I think there needed to be a much larger conversation about that, here isn't the place
On the contrary, any time Capcom announces anything about giving them more money for Street Fighter 5 is the perfect place to remind people they're a bunch of jackasses who wrecked a bunch of computers (making vulnerable all the data on them) so they could continue to easily sell lazy DLC stages just like this one.

And as a season pass owner I can easily state no, we don't have tons of Fight Money saved up because the game sucks it up for all sorts of side content. I still can't even afford Alex's story mode costume.

That nobody should be giving these insulting criminal shits any more money is a perfectly valid and subject-appropriate point.

Spman2099

NRS dlc model imo is the best dlc system for modern fighting game. Capcoms dlc model just screams cash grab. Sfiv costumes were each very unique and sold at a much lesser price. I get it this game didn't do very good financially and capcom trying to cover losses. I bet the dlcs would have much cheaper if the game sold well.

I don't love their model, but they have been pretty good with costumes.

MrCarter

On the contrary, any time Capcom announces anything about giving them more money for Street Fighter 5 is the perfect place to remind people they're a bunch of jackasses who wrecked a bunch of computers (making vulnerable all the data on them) so they could continue to easily sell lazy DLC stages just like this one.

And as a season pass owner I can easily state no, we don't have tons of Fight Money saved up because the game sucks it up for all sorts of side content. I still can't even afford Alex's story mode costume.

That nobody should be giving these insulting criminal shits any more money is a perfectly valid and subject-appropriate point.

I wondered when you would show up. I give you at least a 3/10 for effort.

MrCarter

Well, for starters thier PC fan base were completely neglected for over a year while console players got everything - so I'm not sure if it was the best to be fair. In SFV you are still able to earn characters and stages for free if you want to at a decent pace and now that they have daily/weekly challenges it will be easier.

The way Capcom is handling dlc is disappointing. Each costume cost as much as the dlc pack in Sf4 which contained 5 costumes and there are only 7 of them.

JayEH

curious how the game sucks FM from you. Were you forced to buy side content when you launched the game?

lupinko

I think I'll be able to get that Halloween stage via fight money soon since with weeklies I'm nearing 40k. I was in the process of grinding for 85k for the starting cast's story color pack but that could wait since Capcom is doing BS seasonal releases like what Namco did during vanilla Tekken 7 or Blizzard with Overwatch during the Rio Olympics.

Cammy looks meh. Hopefully Mika and Laura get something with some sex appeal. Like a Morrigan costume etc.
Samurai-Ryu looks good. I'd probably buy that.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
the fact these are limited sucks. Why would you do that capcom?

a bundle would have been nice too

spoiler: they aren't going to do that

they invested in their creation, they're going to sell them as long as they make a profit. they're playing the scarcity card so people jump on them but they will be available at some later point even if they really do stop selling them in November or whenever.

HotHamBoy

SF4 didn't give you any free alt costumes. SF5 does.

Technically. But if you are spending FM on costumes then you sure as hell aren't going to have enough for DLC characters.

spoiler: they aren't going to do that

they invested in their creation, they're going to sell them as long as they make a profit. they're playing the scarcity card so people jump on them but they will be available at some later point even if they really do stop selling them in November or whenever.

It's a scummy move to take advantage of people with Fear Of Missing Out. It's something a lot of publishers are angling towards these days. Go after those whales and get them to buy something sooner than they would because it's "special" and "limited" and there's no bundle or sale to wait for.

Remember last gen when we thought the SFIV skins were overpriced? When everyone was revulsed by this whole "DLC" thing?

Edit: To be clear, I'm fine with post-release content DLC. That's good for the community. And cosmetics aren't a big deal. But companies keep pushing the boundries as far as they can. I highly doubt the SFV alts are more expensive to make than the the SFIV ones. Skins are already a luxury item, this is luxury pricing. A lot of people would enjoy alts for their characters but can't justify $4 a skin. It feels greedy, like they are just sucking the life out of their most dedicated and affluent fans.

vg260

Well, for starters thier PC fan base were completely neglected for over a year while console players got everything - so I'm not sure if it was the best to be fair. In SFV you are still able to earn characters and stages for free if you want to at a decent pace and now that they have daily/weekly challenges it will be easier.

We already covered this. The MKX PC support has nothing to do with the underlying model itself.

curious how the game sucks FM from you. Were you forced to buy side content when you launched the game?
You're being disingenuous (always a problem in SF5 threads). You don't need to buy anything in Street Fighter 5, including characters. I wanted extra costumes, extra stages, and various colors the game shipped with. I don't own all of these, I haven't gone nuts or anything, but even with a lot of survival mode crap and buying the season pass I can't afford everything I want. (I can probably get Urien's story costume after a couple more weeks of 'daily' challenges.) It's a good thing I don't care about titles, it's amazing how many of those the game asks you to pay for...

This idea put forth that season pass owners are drowning in Fight Money is false, that's the point I was making. (True for my friends too, this isn't just me.) Street Fighter 5 has a lot of extra little things to spend it on. This was clearly by design, of course.

I wondered when you would show up. I give you at least a 3/10 for effort.
Thanks. Obviously nobody is ever going to give you that low of a score for your insufferable, fawning, fanboy bootlicking. You work super hard for those Capcriminals.

they're a bunch of jackasses who wrecked a bunch of computers (making vulnerable all the data on them) so they could continue to easily sell lazy DLC stages just like this one.

WHOA... I must have missed that headline. People are reporting capcom.sys wrecked their computer?

... but... why would they wreck your computer to try to sell you more DLC? If your computer is wrecked... how will you run that DLC?

Even if we ignore other fighters, the pricing of SFV's DLCs are still way too high. Buying 3 of those costumes will cost you $12.

Now for the same price you can buy Pirate Warriors 3's Season Pass which will include all of these costumes:
6Geo3BP.jpg

as well as these quests/gameplay modes:
All's Quiet on East Blue!
The Decent and Dutiful World Government
Whitebeard vs. the Sun Pirates
Heroes of the Coliseum
The Surgeon of Life or Death
World Government Mega-Showdown
Pirate Mega-Showdown
Sky Island Treasure Hunt Survival

Now that's a great value. One that I will definitely show my support and appreciation for.

I don't expect Capcom to do the same and give away 28 costumes for 12 bucks, mind you. But asking $4 for each costume is really ridiculous.

Though as I've said before, as long as the game stays account locked the pricing really don't matter cause I for one can't even buy anything.

Lothars

Yup a typical day in an SFV thread with you complaining about SFV.

I have no doubt they will eventually have a bundle because yeah pricing isn't great especially if anyone wants them all, it's not really worth it otherwise but the costumes do look fantastic.

I'm one of the people here that actually like SF5, but these costumes seem kind of expensive or is it me? I think SF5 could go down as one of the most expensive games of all time.

MrCarter

Even if we ignore other fighters, the pricing of SFV's DLCs are still way too high. Buying 3 of those costumes will cost you $12.

Now for the same price you can buy Pirate Warriors 3's Season Pass which will include all of these costumes:

as well as these quests/gameplay modes:

Now that's a great value. One that I will definitely show my support and appreciation for.

I don't expect Capcom to do the same and give away 28 costumes for 12 bucks, mind you. But asking $4 for each costume is really ridiculous.

Though as I've said before, as long as the game stays account locked the pricing really don't matter cause I for one can't even buy anything.

I tried the demo of this game and the presentation is fantastic. However, these musou type games do get very, very repetitive after a while. Also, if you haven't tried One piece: Burning Blood yet I suggest you give it a go.

Top Bottom