• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Systems Trailer and hands-on impressions

From what I understand Ryu enters his V-trigger mode (MP+MK) gains the ability to parry for a limited amount of time.
To me it seems like you press MP+MK to parry right there as opposed to a temporary mode.

V Skills sound like Drives from Blazblue. i fucking love it

Cade

From what I understand Ryu enters his V-trigger mode (MP+MK) gains the ability to parry for a limited amount of time.

No, his parry is his V-Skill and isn't limited. It charges V-Gauge for V-Trigger, according to PS Blog

Bleepey

I'll be the first to say it, but doesn't this:

V-Skill
V-Skills are unique skills per character that can be accessed at any time by pressing medium punch and medium kick together. These skills do not require use of the V-Gauge and have different uses per character (e.g. mobility, offensive, defensive). V-Skills are rather important in battle as they may help a character in an area they’re weak at or help to fill up the V-Gauge quicker. Learning how to properly and efficiently use each character’s V-Skill will be key in winning matches.

V-Trigger
V-Triggers are unique abilities per character that can only be activated once the V-Gauge is full, by pressing heavy punch and heavy kick together. V-Triggers, much like Ultras in Street Fighter IV, are a way for your character to turn the tide of battle. That, however, is where the similarities end. Activating the V-Trigger, which allows access to a character’s full potential, is merely step one. It is completely up to the player to properly utilize the benefits received from the V-Trigger to change the course of the match. As V-Triggers add quite a bit of depth to each character, mastering their use will be paramount to victory.

V-Reversals
V-Reversals take up one stock of V-Gauge, and allow a player to counter the attack of the opponent while blocking, thus creating some breathing room. They are similar to “Alpha counters” from the Street Fighter Alpha series, but this time not every counter results in a universal effect; some push the opponent back, some knock them down and some switch sides. Players should explore each character to see how their V-Reversals function.

Sound like a more refined version of Injustice's trait system?

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't expecting Chun to get motion-activated Legs again. I thought they just did it in SFxT because of Super Charges...

"Temporary" chip damage on normals seems interesting.

it looks even better in motion
UnsteadyDefiniteHorseshoebat.gif

Ooo. So nice!

Tapping F plus MK+MP for parries. I dunno, maybe I'll get used to it, but seems slightly excessive in inputs.

ezekial45

Banned
"From what I understand Ryu enters his V-trigger mode (MP+MK) gains the ability to parry for a limited amount of time."

From the SRK article it seems as though V-Trigger activation is HP+HK which gives the special properties like extra hits, teleport dash, etc. V-Reversals are alpha counters that use a stock of the V-meter. V-Skills (MP+MK) don't use the meter at all and can be done whenever?

Yes. V-Skills are free to use whenever without cost. You can Parry, deflect, command jump, etc with V-Skills at any time. Some of them even build meter.

jett

D-Member
Dunno how I feel about the V system yet, I can only hope it's thoroughly tested in arcades before its consumer release. The return of alpha counters sure is something, I guess it makes sense with the apparent increase in combo/juggle/OTG opportunities.

Ign compared it to sf alpha and sf3 having a baby. I love it. So much for the "just another sf4" crowd. Game looks great with awesome mechanics. Cant wait for it.

From IGN

Throws have a wiff animation - This means two things: One, failed throw attempts leave you open to attack. Two, there is no more option select crouch tech, it just results in a failed throw and a bad situation!

Backdashes don't have any hit invulnerability - They do have throw invulnerability though. Still, this makes wakeup backdash pretty much a non-option. Gone are the days where you can backdash to safety for free.

Crush Counters - This is a new mechanic. Some moves, when they hit on counterhit, will cause a unique stun state that will allow for normally impossible follow-ups, kinda like Fatals in BlazBlue and Persona 4 Arena.

There are no Ultra Combos - Critical Arts, which behave like supers from SF4 in every way, are the only flashy, high damage moves in the game. Ultras are completely gone, there is nothing remotely similar to them.

Normals deal chip damage - Normals deal temporary chip damage when blocked. If you take a hit before this temporary damage heals, it becomes permanent. This is not a game for turtles!

Stun Gauge is back - Stun has been in most Street Fighter games, but only Third Strike made stun progress visible. SF5 does too, encouraging offensive players to "ride their kill" when they see they're close to stunning.

Target combos are more prevalent - Like in Third Strike, Target Combos are more prevalent in Street Fighter 5. Links are still the primary combo method, but Target Combos seem good enough to be usable in some cases.

Higher overall damage - Not Tekken or Marvel vs. Capcom 3 high, but this is a more dangerous game than SF4. Eating a fierce Dragon Punch hurts enough that you won't want to jump too much, and loose hits add up fast.

Bigger discrepancies in walk speed - While Chun is about as spritely as you'd expect, Ryu is a step slower than usual, and Nash and Bison are plain mired in mud. This may lead to some characters dominating the footsie game.

No Focus mechanic - Focus is out. You'll have to deal with projectiles the old fashioned way, and strong, single-hit pokes can no longer be swept away with a universal mechanic. This places a premium on old-school Street Fighter fundamentals.

Hard knockdowns are rare - I didn't test this exhaustively, but a Capcom employee told me that only throws and Critical Arts cause hard knockdowns. Wakeup times are faster in general, so you'll have to adjust your okizemi game accordingly.

Chun not being a charge character again yessssssssssssssssssssss

Fuck SF4 Chun
Some uh quirky decisions there. Dunno how I feel about the V system yet, I can only hope it's thoroughly tested in arcades before it's consumer release.
There's no arcade version

JordanKZ

After these impressions, anyone who thinks SF5 isn't be dramatically different from 4 is nuts. The systems they have in place, and completely unique V-Triggers will make this game so character focused.

Hype!

"Crush Counters - This is a new mechanic. Some moves, when they hit on counterhit, will cause a unique stun state that will allow for normally impossible follow-ups, kinda like Fatals in BlazBlue and Persona 4 Arena."

This is also really common in 3D fighting games and was in SFxT. I also really love this.

So Nash and Bison's V-Skills are useless if they don't fight against fireball characters?

As per ign, bison takes forever to fill out gauge, but once he does they called him "omega bison". Its near limitless and his dashes become teleport everytime. Makes him ridiculously dangerous.

Man i am in love .
This is everything i wanted a new SF game to be .
The new systems really going to make the game interesting and nothing like SF4.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Cant wait to get my mits on it. The V-Trigger mechanic doesnt sound too bad but with it being a per character specific mechanic, balance is gonna have to be solid as a rock.

Thulius

Ooo. So nice!

Tapping F plus MK+MP for parries. I dunno, maybe I'll get used to it, but seems slightly excessive in inputs.

Ideally, an input like that means failed parries will actually have a whiff animation because with SF3 style parries he would instantly be the best character in the game.

Skilletor

"Crush Counters - This is a new mechanic. Some moves, when they hit on counterhit, will cause a unique stun state that will allow for normally impossible follow-ups, kinda like Fatals in BlazBlue and Persona 4 Arena."

This is also really common in 3D fighting games and was in SFxT. I also really love this.

Yup.

I love every single thing I've read about this game. Watching vids it looks faster as well.

Xpliskin

So SF V is to SF4 what alpha was to SF2.

Increases the chances for Karin/Mika.

Giving each character their individual traits is genius.

Kouichi

In the old footage, it was heavy attacks that caused it. I wonder if that still applies and what other moves will too.

Top Bottom