• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Free! 01

mtYOINgl.jpg

What a god damn tease.

So, nothing really more to really say. It was enjoyable, it was silly, it was UPPER BODY, what's more to really say.

OLDCODEX is no GRANRODEO, so OP was pretty bland. The ED was silly.

And of course:

Brown > Black = Red >>>> Yellow

Taruranto

Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Ru-

wait, wrong series.

Gankutsuou #18

Eh, kinda saw it coming. He raised all the Death Flags of this world.

On MAL forum i read how things go in the book, and i have to say i prefer it very much. The count comes out as a dick rather than a rightful avenger (if there is such a thing).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[怪盗グルーのミニオン危機一発]

It was fun, but I didn't like it as much as the first one. The protagonist's tsundere traits are gone in this iteration, and to be honest that was the appeal of watching this type of movie. Why was this made, anyway? This is one of those sequels that just needed not to exist, even if there are some good jokes here and there. Some of the 3D effects were obnoxious, too. :/

I did enjoy the mascot characters. Oh, and the love interest is totally moé. It's just a disappointment after the charming first movie.

/XX/

I love reading stuff like this, thank you! :3
My pleasure!

I'm not yet convinced it'll reach my levels of "quality" so until then I'll just simply ignore it!
Only the highest standards of QUALITY in the business! :-D

That'd be pretty hard, that scene was animated by pretty much the best Japanese animator ever.
Can you imagine, after all the rumors of returns this past year, that he actually comes back for Free!? And I mean not him working 'for free' but for Free!

Madness would spread among certain image-board goers...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 98: An Endless Requiem

~ He really was the most disgusting lot. ~

Dreamboat till the end.

A tremendous episode for a tremendous character. RIP Oskar von Reuental. An honorable warrior till the end. I am so glad he decided to finally clean up Job Truniht's intolerable existence as a last duty towards his lord. And to entrust his son towards Mittermeyer, who is unable to conceive with his wife. Great stuff. It's so sad he didn't get to have one last drink with his friend. It would have been a beautiful little moment.
I feel so bad for Bergengrun. To devote yourself to two High Admirals, and to lose them both. He must have felt horrible. His death was sadder than von Reuental's.
this episode got me worse than Yang and Kircheis' deaths :(

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Awesome idle sprite animations that would be perfect for the Precure fighting game you're never, ever going to get:

More here (character spoilers for Suite and Heartcatch, if you're sensitive to that kind of thing).

Holy shit those are awesome. Nao with Jam's stance is so ballin'.

zeroshiki

Free! - 01

I woke up at 2:44 AM to watch this >_>

I thought, for a first episode, it was pretty serviceable. There was alot of setup to the main plot and some seriously dumb contrivances but nothing that's too difficult to swallow assuming you've already bought into the premise. Still dumb as shit though.

There certainly was alot of upperbody in this. Like, seriously wtf at all those taking off the shirt animations. The water sakuga was legit as well. I have to say though, I wasn't as impressed with the animation in this as I was in Hyouka. Maybe because they were using similar lighting but I couldn't help but look at some scenes and think, "hmm... that would have looked nicer if this were in Hyouka." The art is pretty good, the characters are long and spindly unlike the squashed look in most KyoAni work and the music is very (rock? techno? sorry I don't know music genres well enough) but there were some parts that reminded me of that godawful Dear Boys anime music-wise.

All in all, I'd probably watch a 2nd episode just for the quality but this is not something I am particularly excited about following.

Shergal

Can you imagine, after all the rumors of returns this past year, that he actually comes back for Free!? And I mean not him working 'for free' but for Free!

Madness would spread among certain image-board goers...

I've always wondered if veteran animators can apply for Kyoani and be hired just like that. Every one of their workers seems to be either a former Shin-Ei employee or entirely new, possibly raised in their animation school.

Iso retiring to Kyoto and starting to work for Kyoani would be the funniest shit ever.

cajunator

Banned
Back to Free!

I'll return to Chiho later.

Do what you want jgminto. I was just kidding.

New Sailor Moon series in production, to debut between November and January.

Is it still short episode format?

Awesome idle sprite animations that would be perfect for the Precure fighting game you're never, ever going to get:

More here (character spoilers for Suite and Heartcatch, if you're sensitive to that kind of thing).

I would play this!!

This looks amazing. What is this?

Dude. DROP EVERYTHING YOU ARE DOING AND GO WATCH GOLDENBOY.

Metrotab

Banned
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 99: The Approach Run Toward The Future

~ You mustn't die. ~

Mittermeyer's wife is such a source of positive feeling in this series. Much needed.
And now, two of the four table comrades remain. I really hope this is the end of it. I've had enough of admirals dying. Will the tragedy never end?
I feel bad for Erwin Josef II. Starvation... I really don't wanna know how that ended up happening.
Excited to see Reinhard and Hildegard's wedding. That's gonna be an impressive display of Baroque festivities.

Date a Live 9

Oh, Kurumi's so amazingly EVIL! She'll even use an alternate self to kill herself if shi do gets close to making her fall for him just so she can stay a spirit and kill more people! And her psychotic smile is a thing of beauty.
And another see the light of greatness !

Yaaaaaaaaaay! I don't mind if you change to a Free avatar, but this one does feel more...right.

Futari wa Precure Splash Star 42

Loooooooool Princess Filia is inside the cat.

Yaaaaaaaaay
Michiru and Kaoru are back
!

Also yay Kintoresuki is back too.
nobody cares about Dorodoron or Mizu Shitatare
You're not even ready yet for the BEST FINALE EVER in precure
( except heartcatch )

Ok the second best finale ever in the precure franchise.
Yes i'm hyping it like crazy but you won't be disapointed .

I like that , remind me of the sprites for the nintendo ds game.

I hope Free!'s swimming can match up to the greatest swimming anime scene of all time.

1194323293161u4skj.gif

I'm still laughing after more than 10 years ...

That's how great this scene was.

BroCon 01

myYOcQLl.jpg

It's an UPPER BODY kind of day.

I also like how she just lingers right here.

So, otome lead with no personality. Hell, the bad mascot feels more likely to hook up one of the guys than she will.

And rankings cause why the hell not?

Basketball > Twins > Red tsundere > Doctor > The other guy in white > Singer > Everyone else > Shota

Ezalc

Free 1 retry
Alright, so after I skipped the godawful flashback in the beginning I sat through the rest of this. It was pretty dull overall. Water looked nice and I didn't care for the pretty boys. Too many uninteresting characters, Makoto is probably the most likable but even then he's still a horrible anime cliche who isn't at all interesting. The soundtrack was pretty weird as well, OP is rock and not a very good one, then we get a bit of rap somewhere in the middle, then we get some dubstep in the end and finish things off with another boring rock song. It's doubtful that I'll continue this.

In summary, I'm sure it'll always be DTL's favorite anime. Forever.

CorvoSol

Ive had Utena and G Gundam on the brain all day. I should point out it takes a good show to leave this kind of after taste.
kinda wish i knew ifcAnthy ever found Utena.
but like Zeta, my opinion has improved with distance.

Kino's Journey 9

Whoa. This was an incredibly intricate episode.
It was like story-ception! I liked how it tackled the whole Censorship vs Free Speech argument, with the critics isolated in their ivory tower, passing judgement that cannot be deemed wrong in the eyes of the citizens. When in actuality, the critics in charge of censorship they hold in such high regard are the actually the free thinkers protesting the censorship. And on Kino's side of the narrative, perspective is changed many times in order to touch on the ideas of egocentrism and solipsism. I'm still not entirely sure what I want to believe is the truth after watching the bedridden Kino put on the virtual reality device. And it was even more convincing when she started to question what was real herself. But the show has placed Kino in other roles other than the protagonist. Nimya was the protagonist in episode 8, and Kino was less of a central character and more of an audience surrogate in episode 3. Still, it was a really engaging episode and I liked how it went full-circle in the final scene.

Valvrave the Liberator - 02

Whadddaaaaaaaaafucccckkkkkk.

Vampire body snatching robot tactical action?

This is not what I signed up for.

... I'm ok with that.

cajunator

Banned
Kino's Journey 9

Whoa. This was an incredibly intricate episode.
It was like story-ception! I liked how it tackled the whole Censorship vs Free Speech argument, with the critics isolated in their ivory tower, passing judgement that cannot be deemed wrong in the eyes of the citizens. When in actuality, the critics in charge of censorship they hold in such high regard are the actually the free thinkers protesting the censorship. And on Kino's side of the narrative, perspective is changed many times in order to touch on the ideas of egocentrism and solipsism. I'm still not entirely sure what I want to believe is the truth after watching the bedridden Kino put on the virtual reality device. And it was even more convincing when she started to question what was real herself. But the show has placed Kino in other roles other than the protagonist. Nimya was the protagonist in episode 8, and Kino was less of a central character and more of an audience surrogate in episode 3. Still, it was a really engaging episode and I liked how it went full-circle in the final scene.

This another of my favorite episodes. It gave off a very Fahrenheit 451/1984 vibe. This show doesnt crowd the viewer with preaching or try to shove values down their throat. It just explores a theme and runs with it. Its a show that can br rewatched many times yet still deliver a fun experience.
the best part is you have three more excellent episodes to go!

Its a show that can br rewatched many times yet still deliver a fun experience.
Definitely! This episode in particular practically begs for multiple views because it's got so many things going on at once. Even just going back with a different mindset could make it a whole new experience.

You know, every time I see a Valvrave impression I see less descriptions of the actual plot and more screaming about what the hell is going on.

I'm tempted, but I'm scared.

Man, this thread stopped dead in its tracks.

Here's something to wail about. The Noitamina twitter account has confirmed that the Announcement event on Friday 7/5 of the 2013 Noitamina lineup will include PYSCHO PASS.

This probably means a Season 2 so yay duckroll?

https://twitter.com/noitamina2010/status/352370263767265281

It's a announcement about Psychopass in addition to the announcements of the 2 original anime to be aired on noitaminA in the fall. So it probably does not mean a Season 2. Maybe a movie.

Man, this thread stopped dead in its tracks.

Here's something to wail about. The Noitamina twitter account has confirmed that the Announcement event on Friday 7/5 of the 2013 Noitamina lineup will include PYSCHO PASS.

This probably means a Season 2 so yay duckroll?

https://twitter.com/noitamina2010/status/352370263767265281

Why do we go season 2 always, what if its like magi...and is instead a movie announcement, I think psycho pass could birth a really good one (though Id like a season 2...with Kagari...). Or maybe a novel too.

zeroshiki

It's a announcement about Psychopass in addition to the announcements of the 2 original anime to be aired on noitaminA in the fall. So it probably does not mean a Season 2. Maybe a movie.

The tweet doesn't really say anything about "in addition." It literally says "PSYCHO PASS will be joining the 2013 Noitamina Lineup Announcement event" so it could mean a movie but it could very well also mean there will be a season 2 in the Fall.

Narag

Free! 1

I can't bring myself to choose between all these husbandos so I'll simply claim all of them.
El Cantare bless Crunchyroll for getting this made.

Defuser

Free! ep 1

Dudeblob the anime. Its pretty disturbing to see Kyoani's use of their cute antics and gestures to be applied on muscular pretty guys. DTL must be in heaven.

Oh and that dubstep. WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB!

The Ariabian nights ED > Magi.

The tweet doesn't really say anything about "in addition." It literally says "PSYCHO PASS will be joining the 2013 Noitamina Lineup Announcement event" so it could mean a movie but it could very well also mean there will be a season 2 in the Fall.

If you look at the actual lineup announcement page, you'll see that it lists the Psychopass announcement separately from the 2 fall shows:

10月タイトル上下段オリジナル2作品
7月タイトル上下段2作品の情報など
「PSYCHO-PASS サイコパス」新情報発表予定

cajunator

Banned
Definitely! This episode in particular practically begs for multiple views because it's got so many things going on at once. Even just going back with a different mindset could make it a whole new experience.

There is quite a lot to take from Kinos Journey. Its very rewatchable. There are still a few very thought provoking episodes to go which you will enjoy as well. This series was just so well written. its smart without being pretentious.

Articalys

Well, whatever the Psycho-Pass announcement is, here's one of those automatic countdown clocks for the noitaminA event -- I think I got the time zones right.

t1373020200z4.png

edit: wow, that doesn't look good with the official gaf dark theme at all.

Not in any rush until glasses appears.

I have no idea who the green one is (much less anyone else).

But that stance would make me want to main her if she had turned out to be a fighter like Jam or Juri.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom