• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The twist is that PreCure has gotten such bad ratings that it's being canceled and replaced with Sailor Moon :p

I'd be fine with that at this point, although the article mentions that the first product line for the new series is going to target women in their 20s so I assume that it's going to be in a more adult-friendly timeslot.

zeroshiki

Unless it is TV Tokyo or a Sunrise show, it can only ever have an early morning timeslot or be in the middle of the night. I'm not sure how they can appeal to women that way.

Narag

Unless it is TV Tokyo or a Sunrise show, it can only ever have an early morning timeslot or be in the middle of the night. I'm not sure how they can appeal to women that way.

As someone who has no idea how this works, could you go into a little more detail why that is?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I maintain they are tricking us and it's actually gonna air in February as soon as Dokidoki! finishes.

Or maybe Dokidoki! is gonna be the shortest Precure yet.
I'm only concerned about the thread I will finally be able to make.

Oh yeah, if it starts in December, then Winter thread starts then and I better not be getting any grief from Duckroll about it!

cajunator

Banned
Guys, what is the most American anime I can watch tomorrow?

I'm thinking maybe one of the Marvel anime adaptions.

Well, one of my favorites is based in Chicago. Its really action packed and called g-

Gunsmith Cats.

Dammit! Yes this.

What a summer it has been for me, I just recently got back into anime after a near decade of not really watching any. Most of the series I have tried have been home runs with very few duds.
School Rumble (English dub) - Top notch comedy, tho I would have liked a happier ending
Ouran High School Host Club (English dub) - I love Tamaki
Steins;Gate (English dub) - The date episode was so much fun
Bakemonogatari - Senjogahara is by far my favorite character in Anime
Hyouka - Amazing music

Excellent choices!

I maintain they are tricking us and it's actually gonna air in February as soon as Dokidoki! finishes.

Or maybe Dokidoki! is gonna be the shortest Precure yet.

Unless they cut it short, it's going to be inline with the rest of the series.

Golden Boy 1

Kintaro is probably one of the greatest things to grace us. His actions gives this a rather over the top feeling for what could be considered mundane by normal standards and elevates this enter a masterful joy.

It is also quite lewd, with Ms Barely wearing anything while having detailed nipple imprints on my clothing President jiggling about and hitting people on bikes.

Kintaro certainly acts like an idiot, but it's merely his way of outsmarting everyone and then having them chase for the D.

Unrelated, I wouldn't mind Precure being put on hold. I just wish we didn't end on something like DokiDoki.

zeroshiki

As someone who has no idea how this works, could you go into a little more detail why that is?

Its actually very simple. Anime can't possibly get enough ratings on the legit channels to justify being put in prime time. Most of the time, broadcast slots are bought by the production committee for their shows and getting primetime slots would be prohibitively expensive.

There are however some channels, like TV Tokyo, that are minor enough that they can get away with showing anime in primetime but they only do it for major shows that get lotsa viewers (the Naruto/Bleach timeslot). TBS also has a 530pm anime timeslot on Sundays that it uses for Gundam. Other than that, you're left with the midnight anime and/or the early morning children's cartoon slots.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
There's already precedent for CG in Sailor Moon, and it was under the watch of IKUHARA of all people.

QwePEl.jpg
quJHfl.jpg

It will happen.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Unless they cut it short, it's going to be inline with the rest of the series.

Golden Boy 1

Kintaro is probably one of the greatest things to grace us. His actions gives this a rather over the top feeling for what could be considered mundane by normal standards and elevates this enter a masterful joy.

It is also quite lewd, with Ms Barely wearing anything while having detailed nipple imprints on my clothing President jiggling about and hitting people on bikes.

Kintaro certainly acts like an idiot, but it's merely his way of outsmarting everyone and then having them chase for the D.

Unrelated, I wouldn't mind Precure being put on hold. I just wish we didn't end on something like DokiDoki.

Told ya :3

He absolutely is. You better be watching the English Dub.

zeroshiki

I don't *think* Sailor Moon will replace PreCure. That would be stupid since Precure is a franchise on its own. Maybe it takes over the Saint Seiya Omega timeslot? (Sundays 630AM)

I checked and Sailor Moon is TV Asahi so any hope for a primetime slot is gone (unless they cancel Doraemon or Crayon Shin-Chan and takes those slots).

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Le Chevalier D'Eon 7

Okay so
that's what the Royal Psalms are. And Marie and Robin know what Poets are...but no one in our crew has ever called out Robin for his knowledge on them! ffs.

"War...has changed."
:lol Teillagory is Old Solid Snake confirmed. John Swasey is a good choice for a VA for him, but you should've just ponied up and got David Hayter.

oh that's cool
magic e-mail

man they took that "Paint me like one of your French girls" to heart :3 oh and if these
dogs are gargoyles too...man RE up in this shit. Oh lord they are! hahahahaha

Man talk about some pretty darn good "dynamic" action! But Robin you are still a useless shota (I don't care if that's not the right term for him).

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE CALL ROBIN OUT ON WHAT POETS ARE FFS.

Told ya :3

He absolutely is. You better be watching the English Dub.

Oh oh, NOW I have to watch the dub. Yeah okay. Give me a moment. I'll align myself for that.

I don't *think* Sailor Moon will replace PreCure. That would be stupid since Precure is a franchise on its own. Maybe it takes over the Saint Seiya Omega timeslot? (Sundays 630AM)

I checked and Sailor Moon is TV Asahi so any hope for a primetime slot is gone (unless they cancel Doraemon or Crayon Shin-Chan and takes those slots).

Well of course Precure is its own thing, but it is bombing, and they probably can't get anyone to make a super interesting Precure season again, so clearly Sailor Moon would fit the bill more.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Well of course Precure is its own thing, but it is bombing, and they probably can't get anyone to make a super interesting Precure season again, so clearly Sailor Moon would fit the bill more.

The fact that the franchise still exists in spite of the fact that the past four seasons have had average lower ratings than the supposed "franchise-killer" Splash Star indicates that there's no strict correlation between ratings and product sales. It'll continue so long as it's sufficiently profitable.

Its actually very simple. Anime can't possibly get enough ratings on the legit channels to justify being put in prime time. Most of the time, broadcast slots are bought by the production committee for their shows and getting primetime slots would be prohibitively expensive.

There are however some channels, like TV Tokyo, that are minor enough that they can get away with showing anime in primetime but they only do it for major shows that get lotsa viewers (the Naruto/Bleach timeslot). TBS also has a 530pm anime timeslot on Sundays that it uses for Gundam. Other than that, you're left with the midnight anime and/or the early morning children's cartoon slots.

There are a couple primetime anime slots on stations other than TV Tokyo, if only a couple. Off the top of my head, there's at least Space Bros/Conan 5-6 Saturdays on NTV and MBS' Nichigo slot 5:30 Sundays.

Of course Sailor Moon isn't going to replace Precure; the latter is for little girls, the former is for people who were little girls in the 90s. Different market.

With this long of a timespan, I really don't think the new Sailor Moon has to air on the same channel the original Sailor Moon aired on.

Sorry I should've told you sooner, that's my error. Kintaro's English VA (Doug Smith) fucking kills it though, so I sincerely think you'll love it.

Well 30 seconds into the 2nd episodes, his laugh gave me a Butthead vibe. It was hilarious.

The fact that the franchise still exists in spite of the fact that the past four seasons have had average lower ratings than the supposed "franchise-killer" Splash Star indicates that there's no strict correlation between ratings and product sales. It'll continue so long as it's sufficiently profitable.

Well as long as I keep my guilty pleasure anime then whatever.

EDIT: Can I get a link to DTLs thread on Free

Cheska

Figured it was only fair I start with Free! since it's what I was initially interested in anyways. Liked the first episode, but damn that end theme! It's so catchy :D

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I was under the impression that Heartcatch was the most successful Precure show yet. See post down below.

zeroshiki

There are a couple primetime anime slots on stations other than TV Tokyo, if only a couple. Off the top of my head, there's at least Space Bros/Conan 5-6 Saturdays on NTV and MBS' Nichigo slot 5:30 Sundays.

I mentioned the TBS/MBS Sunday 530 slot :p There is also a Sunday 10pm timeslot in Tokyo MX that used to be Hanasaku Iroha but had been doing repeats last time I checked.

With this long of a timespan, I really don't think the new Sailor Moon has to air on the same channel the original Sailor Moon aired on.

Unless they're also part of the production committee which I will admit I know nothing about.

Nudull

Banned
I actually ended up joining Crunchyroll today, too, not long after finishing Free. I'm thinking about checking out Attack on Titan, Kids on the Slope and SAO eventually, and Madoka Magica too (I've already seen the first two movies as my first exposure, but I want to see the series proper to enjoy the extra bits I may have missed). I may end up watching Toradora, too. :eek:

naryuko w 12

oh forgot about this. harem end get I guess?

Fun show anyhow. hope they get around with another season... but i guess that gotta wait until next Kamen Rider in a few months lol.

Crocodile

So we're finally getting info on the new Sailor Moon anime? Good! Sailor Moon was the very first anime I ever watched back in 7th grade. Though I've changed quite a bit since then, and haven't watch Sailor Moon in probably over a decade, I'm hoping the new show can be similarly enjoyable. That might be asking a lot though. We'll see :)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
So we're finally getting info on the new Sailor Moon anime? Good! Sailor Moon was the very first anime I ever watched back in 7th grade. Though I've changed quite a bit since then, and haven't watch Sailor Moon in probably over a decade, I'm hoping the new show can be similarly enjoyable. That might be asking a lot though. We'll see :)
If your only experience with Sailor Moon is the dub, then it would be worth trying out the actual show sometime.

I mentioned the TBS/MBS Sunday 530 slot :p

Yeah, I saw that afterwards. Though it's worth pointing out that it's not just a Gundam slot.

There is also a Sunday 10pm timeslot in Tokyo MX that used to be Hanasaku Iroha but had been doing repeats last time I checked.

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet aired 10 PM Sundays on Tokyo MX, and Uchoten Kazoku will be taking over that timeslot this Sunday. Every season there's a couple anime shows that air in the 10-11 PM range on Tokyo MX or elsewhere.

Unless they're also part of the production committee which I will admit I know nothing about.

The production committee hasn't been revealed.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Brothers Conflict 1:

This is insipid garbage of the lowest order and the few crumbs of Pablo goodness scattered here and there are far from enough to make it a tolerable experience. As if the premise wasn't bottom-of-the-barrel shoujo enough, the shamelessness with which the brothers--a dozen nearly-identical iterations of the same stock smooth-talking, sensitive bishounen--clamour to be the first to jam their dick into their innocent and trusting adoptive sibling is utterly grotesque. There is no enjoyment to be had here unless you are a fujoshi with numerous clothing fetishes and a love for simplistic reverse harem personality tropes.

Here's this week's disappointingly small dose of PABLO POWER:

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Well it has some red numbers so that's good right?

Fuck you Max Heart
The reds seem to highlight franchise tops. Looks like Heartcatch did very well in the DVD department --which might explain its enduring popularity outside the intended audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom