• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm back watching anime after a hospital trip. Really love reading this thread and your impressions on animes.

Days and Cheer Boys I dropped pretty early on, watched an additional episode from each and it just confirmed my dislike for both shows. Annoying things were characters, voice acting and animation in Days, void of personality and background music in Cheer Boys. Just not my cup of tea even if I'm a huge sports anime fan.

Mob Psycho 100 on the other hand I went through all the 12 episodes easily. Was a nice ride, something different from the usual shonen stuff. I'll give it a 8/10, liked OPM somewhat more though.

Shows currently on watch: Saiki, Battery and JoJo Stardust Crusaders 2nd Season

Edit: oh no, top of the page

Szadek

Heartcatch Precure - Ep. 46
Fantastic episode, especially the fight scenes.
I'm going to miss Cobraja and Kumojacky, but at least the went out on a high note.

jgminto

I'm back watching anime after a hospital trip. Really love reading this thread and your impressions on animes.

Days and Cheer Boys I dropped pretty early on, watched an additional episode from each and it just confirmed my dislike for both shows. Annoying things were characters, voice acting and animation in Days, void of personality and background music in Cheer Boys. Just not my cup of tea even if I'm a huge sports anime fan.
Days is the worst sports anime I have watched so far. I'll take the excessively slow pacing of Ace of Diamond or the terrible CG crowds in Baby Steps over another episode of that garbage pile.

Jarmel

Banned
As someone who never watched SAC and just the two movies, I basically had the same feeling about Arise. It's "fine" and I don't undestand why everyone hates it.

That said, there's no way Psycho-Pass is better, unless something happens after episode 5 that changed it into something amazing. lol

Oh I fully understand why someone would hate Arise. The character designs I'm sure are a big sticking point. The narrative is more politics than philosophy so it's like SAC but bad. It doesn't satisfy any party and is a prequel that somewhat shits on a number of the characters.

Szadek

Heartcatch Precure - Ep. 47
The long awaited rematch between Cure Moonlight and Dark Precure is finally here and it's every bit as awesome as I was hoping for.
The twist was terribly hard to predict, but it still worked.

Heartcatch Precure - Ep. 48-49

These last 2 episodes had pretty much everything I wanted.
Tragedy, amazing fight scenes and a very satisfying ending.
I couldn't ask for a better ending.

Before I start a somehting new I will probably watch the movie as a last farwell to the series.

After that I will probably continue Nanoha or Cardcaptor Sakura.
I'm not sure which Precure I should watch next, maybe Smile or the first series.

blurr

Yep, I was amazed at the details I missed out on and of course it more or less acknowledges it as an accurate portrayal of general female hygiene problems.

Twin star exorcist 25

A good episode, and THE opening's Kegare showed up in full CG goodness. Wonder if he'll pop up again, would be cool!
With less CG if possible.

Puzzle and Dragon X 11 dub

Really liking this every week! The monster of the week works well and each episode goes deeper in each of the characters backstory. I had to use some of my PxD knowledge for that fight though, since it talked about in-game mechanics a lot. Hope they don't do that too often and they probably won't too since it's actually the first time they did it like more.

Hoping we see Ace opening's armor soon, since it looks much cooler then his current one.

Tamazo u da best!

Cheer Boys 8 dub

Another great episode, that finally close the the chapter between Hisashi and Brocoli-head. The characters dynamic here are so good, since they bounce of each other well.

If it weren't for the low production values, this would be like one my favorite show this season!

Just imagining Cheer boys done by KyoAni and man...Heh oh well I'm enjoying what I have!

I really liked reading these, and appreciate all the hard work you put into writing them.

(Are there any gourmands in this thread that can do these for Food Wars...?)
Technically doesn't the manga already do this in a way since the dishes are chef verified things you can make?

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Bless you Thoraxes. Great write up as always!

I really liked reading these, and appreciate all the hard work you put into writing them.

(Are there any gourmands in this thread that can do these for Food Wars...?)

This got me thinking if there's any michelin chef who would do a review for Food Wars. It's gonna be hilarious

phaze

Sölf;218322125 said:
But why do you not want other people to watch a good show?
0198594uk1o.jpg

Witch themed Gaf-chan?!

Need more info?

Do I need to watch Strike Witches to sink into tge dephts of hell and watch Brave w/ y'all?

I doubt it, the cast is new from what I understand it and it's not like the plot makes any sense in this series in the first place,

The question is whether you want to subject yourself to a show that is in all likelihood worse than SAO by a mile.

I'm gonna be honest with you all.

I didn't think Strike Witches was all that bad.

Yeah, it's fanservice to the max, but aside from that, I found myself enjoying the interactions between the girls. Like...it wasn't fantastic, but for what it was it could have been a lot worse.

phaze

Strike Witches has a deep lore, okay?

That's not lore. That's WW2 tidbits woven into the story with the subtlety and logical prowess of an infant.
I'm gonna be honest with you all.

I didn't think Strike Witches was all that bad.

Yeah, it's fanservice to the max, but aside from that, I found myself enjoying the interactions between the girls. Like...it wasn't fantastic, but for what it was it could have been a lot worse.

To be honest with oneself is a great step towards happiness prison.

Cornbread78

Twin Star Exorcists ep.25
This was pretty much a rinse and repeat "Basara of the day" kind of episode, but it still manages to be very entertaining and fun to watch. Lots of good special moves and intros to the 12 Guardians.. good stuff!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh I fully understand why someone would hate Arise. The character designs I'm sure are a big sticking point. The narrative is more politics than philosophy so it's like SAC but bad. It doesn't satisfy any party and is a prequel that somewhat shits on a number of the characters.
When I watched it, I saw it as okay cyberpunk - which is something that doesn't really exist now. Yeah, Psycho-Pass, but come on...

Then again, I don't know if I had any real connection to GitS before hand, so I guess I didn't really see Arise as necessarily ruining anything either. Probably the worst thing to come out of Arise is that silly Microsoft Surface tie-in that they did.

Girl's High is basically in the same vein, although it's a bit grosser and pushes things further in terms of purposefully shitting on the whole idea of the fantasy of the all-girl's school.

I really like that show a lot.
Noooooooot yet. I'll have to bug a friend to let me use their Prime to go through it.

It's on my list, believe it or not!
Season 3 coming this December!

shes way more cat then crab but not as good as either

not even the best detective named kyoko
I dunno, having 2 in 1 is pretty good.

Exalted

Do you need to have watched Strike Witches to watch Brave Witches? Didn't know they were related shows, thought Brave Witches was original.

Edit Ups, didn't notice that the same question has already been asked and answered on this page.

Do you need to have watched Strike Witches to watch Brave Witches? Didn't know they were related shows, thought Brave Witches was original.

I'm pretty sure you're fine if you didn't watch the original Strike Witches. It just takes place in the same universe with different characters.

Cornbread78

Speaking of OT’s, I’ll make a few more again for the fall season, but I need input into which shows you guys think should get one:

Already done:
- Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku ("Magical Girl Raising Project") <10/2>
- Occultic;Nine <10/8>

Which of these do you think people would use?

Drifters <10/7>
3-gatsu no Lion (March Comes in Like a Lion) <10/8>
Shuumatsu no Izetta (Izetta, The Last Witch) <10/1>
Flip Flappers <10/6>

I can probably do two more. Anyone else want to make one or two of them as well?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Since I only watched 2 shows this season, I figure I have no real excuse not to review the other one if I already did Sunshine. lol

Amanchu

So in many ways this show is my dream show, reuniting the writing of Kozue Amano and the directing of Junichi Sato to create yet another healing/mono no aware anime. Between Amanchu and the special Aria OVAs this year, this is probably the final time that the two will ever collaborate, so this show probably means more to me than it otherwise would for someone without an attachment to these two particular creators.

The fact that the anime exists in itself is a bit of a miracle - when Amano had her child and decided to switch to a quarter schedule for the manga, I essentially assumed the property was dead. Certainly I did not expect an anime adaptation to happen, simply because there wouldn't be enough material for someone to adapt. It's why I have to imagine that in some part, the anime is a passion project that Sato pushed for and brought to the small screen, because by all measures it really has no right to exist.

But what is Amanchu? Superficially, you could call it a spiritual Aria "clone" inasmuch as it covers the same subject matter - you have a girl thrust into a new, alien world where she learns to grow into a better person and everyone comes together and learns lessons about the meaning of life and experience joie de vivre. There's even a cat mascot, who just hangs around and does cat mascot-like things and interject himself into the story. And admittedly, Amano didn't stray too far out of her comfort zone so the comparisons between Amanchu and Aria are fairly apt.

Perhaps the biggest difference between the two is that the main character, Futaba, is a shy and lonely girl who is struggling to connect with the people around her. The super genki, gregarious, and extroverted character, Hikari, serves as Futaba's foil. So if Aria is about an excited girl exploring the wondrous world of Neo Venezia, Amanchu turns the tables by having a shy character be the main point of view into the town of Shizuoka. It's an important distinction, because many times Futaba is gloomy and depressed, or at least feeling tremendous pain because she is unable to cope with her isolation as the new girl in school, but both Futaba and Aria's Akari experience the world through the same sense of joy and wonder:

And of course, that wonder that comes from exploring a whole new world - in this case, the ocean depths, also serves as a life lesson. In this case, Futaba's struggles to be certified as a diver pays off not only in being able to experience a world that she cannot penetrate from above the surface, but it also allows her to make lifelong connections with the people in the diving club.

It's nothing new, of course. As someone who has watched anime for the past few years, the combination of girls + hobby + self-actualization is pretty much old hat now. Heck, I've been watching anime long enough for people to start actively parodying it in shows like Gakkou Gurashi. But even after all this time, starting with my first experience watching Aria and K-On!! 6 or 7 years ago, it's a genre of anime that I don't think I'll ever really get tired of. Certainly it's something that feels so particular and unique to the medium that isn't replicated anywhere else.

I will say that Amanchu didn't hit me as hard as Aria did. Maybe it's age and experience, or maybe it's just the subject matter simply can't help but be less impressive (diving vs being a gondolier on Mars), but even though I appreciated what the show was doing, it didn't have quite the same emotional impact on me that I thought it given the pedigree behind the show.

But as I said in my preamble, it's almost miraculous that the show exists and I'm certainly happy that I got to see it made. It's sad to think about, but Amanchu really does close a chapter on my life in terms of being a consumer of anime since there is no longer a "mythical" anime adaptation that I have to look forward to. But like Amano's characters, I'm happy to have been on this journey and look forward to what anime has in store for me, particularly as I turn into a much more casual observer of the art form.

Exalted

Strike Witches ep1

So i got curios and gave it a quick look. Was expecting witches in WW2 setting and was really surprised when there were suddenly aliens in the first few minutes. Also the air fights were much more 'flashy' than i expected... Do they have a pants shortage ?

phaze

Strike Witches ep1

So i got curios and gave it a quick look. Was expecting witches in WW2 setting and was really surprised when there were suddenly aliens in the first few minutes. Also the air fights were much more 'flashy' than i expected... Do they have a pants shortage ?

The Battle of Atlantic is not yet won and so indeed, the shortages of clothing items are rife. Wow such historical accuracy.

Tatami Galaxy 06

Johnny is on some truly Texhnolyze levels of suffering. This remains one of my favourite episode of the series. Yuasa's imaginative touches - lines of english shooting out of character mouths during the lessons, the storyboarding during the drinking game, or the entire sexual annuendo during the decisive scenes, add so much flavour to the show.

Strike Witches ep1

What are you talking about? They are wearing pants.

Tatami Galaxy 06

John is on some truly Texhnolyze levels of suffering. This remains one of my favourite episode of the series. Yuasa's imaginative touches - lines of english shooting out of character mouths during the lessons, the storyboarding during the drinking game, or the entire sexual annuendo during the decisive scenes, add so much flavour to the show.

Loved that episode, too.

Kemono no Souja Erin - 25

What's better than an episode dedicated to the two doofuses I hate so much?

latest

duckroll

Trails of Cold Steel - Final Chapter - First 10 minutes

Oh, this sounds like a narrative recap of some content they cut out from the game because they couldn't finish it....

*goes read the Drama CD transcript on XSEED's site*

Okay, this is DEFINITELY content they cut out of the game because they couldn't finish it, lol. It even has a boss fight!

Trails of Cold Steel - Final Chapter - Hours 1-2

Fuck yeah preparing for the School Festival is the best! This is just like that subquest event in TitS FC! Except bigger and better! And this time I don't have to help put up decorations! It's sooooo cool! Oh look, more Crossbell saga references I don't get, sneaked into optional quests! Oh look, another dating event! This game is uguu~!!!

HOLY CRAP! Actual School Festival! OMG! Actual minigames! Actual food stands! OMG DATING EVENTS!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH THIS IS THE BESTEST! OMG OMG OMG!

*cycles through all Millium emotes*

(>_<) THIS IS THE BEST, GUYS! TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trails of Cold Steel - Final Chapter - Hours 3-4

Whoa this Final Dungeon reminds me of a diet SMT game! It's totally weird but it's cool! I don't even know what's really going on! If this is the final episode of an anime it would totally be called "Save The School Festival!" Roflmao. Oh look, the final boss. Wait this is Unlimited Blade Works. I remember this from an animu! What's even going on! Whatever, the game will be over soon, I just want to see the concert!

Trails of Cold Steel - Final Chapter - Hours 5-6

Finally, the ending! Well, this game hasn't been about much, but it makes sense that it ends with Class VII coming together to literally "perform" for everyone. Thematically this all makes sense. I'm really surprised the concert was so cheap though. They couldn't even afford real vocals? What's going on Falcom? And why is this song so famous that everyone is singing along. Am I missing about Crossbell saga reference?! Whatever... FINAL DATE time. Uguutastic~ Towa-sempai pls uguu with me!

*waits for credits to roll with next game teaser*

*waits some more*

Trails of Cold Steel - Final Chapter - Hours 7-8

WHAT

THE

FUCK.

It's like the TV series ended and they just rolled right into a 2 hour anime movie where all the REAL SHIT happens.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

HEY I REMEMBER THESE MECHS FROM CODE GEASS!

WAIT WHY ARE THE LORDS OF ELEMENTAL FROM SRW HERE?!

HOLD ON WAIT THERE IS STILL MORE ACTUAL GAME?!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH DROWNING IN OUROBOROS MEMBERS EVERYWHERE!

Trails of Cold Steel - Final Chapter - Actual Final Battle and Ending

Whoa whoa whoa. This is a fucking BORING "mecha" battle. Zzzzzzzz. Oh okay there's another one. Shit it's just bori-.... Oh I see what they're doing here. There'll probably be a cutscene after this and a cliffhanger ending. Haha. Well played.

WAIT.

WHAT.

I AM IN A MECH FIGHTING WITH UNARMED KUNG FU AND MY CO-PILOT IS A TALKING CAT.

WHERE DID IT ALL GO WRONG RIGHT?!

Wow, there's a whole different tweaked battle system for mechs. This Xenoawesome! Haha take that! Tutorial battle win!!!!

There is.... MORE?!

WOW THIS BATTLE ROCKS. It's really tightly balanced and I need to actually pay attention to win, and there are lots of new skills to play with and it's awesome! OMG!

YESSSSSSS! I WIN! So... where's this cliffhanger I keep hearing about? Looks like I kicked their asses and they're going to retreat.

Wait...

what...

errrrrr

*credits roll*

This should be illegal...

duckroll

I really wish someone would have told me that there's FOUR HOURS of game left after the final dungeon. I would have saved it for tomorrow tbh. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom