• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie (Arise Continuity) -
x9xDrud.jpg
Hotdiggetydamn. Well this was vastly better than the OVAs and Architecture episodes. Just from the getgo, the audience can tell how much of a jump this is in quality. For example the flashback at the beginning of the movie has a surreal effect due to the blooming lights and long shots that give the scenes a dreamlike effect. This is important because it establishes Motoko's perspective as a child, which comes back in the climax for emotional effect. Afterwards the opening introduces both the protagonist and antagonist through mirror shots and scenarios.
By showing off both sides of the story so early on, and in such a fashion, it highlights the difference in opinions between Motoko and Kurutsu. One of the major themes in the movie is about the state vs private corporations and this opening sets that up wonderfully. It's economical and effective use of storyboarding as a way of visually telling the themes in the work, as well as the positions of the characters in relation to each other. Not to mention it establishes a visual motif pertaining to touching someone else's hand and establishing physical contact, which is somewhat noteworthy in the show due to the proliferation of wireless technology. There's nothing in the Arise OVAs that demonstrated that level of ingenuity and directorial skill. This might be due to the use of Kazuya Nomura, the director of Joker Game, as a storyboarder and director for the film. In addition the other storyboarder of the movie, Naoki Arakawa, storyboarded the fourth OVA which was the most interesting of the series from a visual side.
jaVwmkH.jpg
qL7du9C.jpg

While the UI work may not be up to Takashi Aoki's standards, they do represent a noticeable jump compared to the OVA series.
The movie segues into a big action set-piece, of which there are three in the film, that definitely make the movie feel like a bigger event than anything in the OVAs. The action is better storyboarded and animated, the sound design is noticeably improved, the UI work is better, the scenario and twists in the mission itself are compelling, and there's a good flow to the mission. I just want to briefly elaborate on the sound design improvements as those were striking. In the scene I linked above, the soldier has a knife built into his body and it looks visually heavy. The sound design work, as great sound design should, amplifies the visual elements so when his knife arm hits the ground, there is a reverberation and a clang to it that sells how heavy the knife is. It's really the minor things that make the difference in cases like this. Other examples would be the gunfire of some of the heavy artillery later in the movie where there's good bass or 'zippiness' that exhibits the speed of a weapon.
The segment after the initial raid is probably the worst part of the film as Ubukata's dialogue is still clunky and so the film gets lost a bit in the explanations. Ubukata's writing for this series hasn't been good and it continues into the film. Things are either over or underexplained which makes it hard to parse out particular themes or follow exactly what is happening in the investigation. For example there is a plot point involving Motoko's parents but for the life of me I couldn't figure out what that had to do with the prime minister's assassination. I'm not even sure a rewatch would help with my understanding as opposed to someone just typing out a plot summary. It's a solid twenty to twenty five minutes of detective work that just fell flat for me. It did introduce though an interesting philosophical point about the notion of dead ends with cyborg bodies. When people in real life talk about going full cyborg, this point about being literally outdated is never really brought up. What happens when your manufacturer stops producing parts for your body or charges an obscene amount for maintenance? That's an actual concern that I had never seen articulated before, especially when this year has shown how greedy private medical companies can be. Bodies would become similar to smartphones in that there might be planned obsolescence dates. Something I really enjoyed though were the quieter moments shown between the team. It helped make Motoko more into a human, which is important due to how robotic she can appear most of the time, as well as making the core characters actually feel like a team instead of someone just saying it.
After the second setpiece, there's another period of downtime but it's not as long. Not to mention the art team, as shown above, really get to stretch their wings. The background art was primarily outsourced to Studio Bamboo, although it seems Studio Lagrass and Studio Suu helped. I thought there might be a new art team working on this compared to the Arise OVAs as the OVAs didn't look anywhere near this good, but it does seem to comprise mostly of the same team. I guess the extra production time let the background artists really go to town. It's not just the quality but also the diversity in the art direction and background work. The visuals aren't the only improvement as the OST is much better than previous entries, especially in the second half. While it might not be up to Kanno/Kawai's level, the tracks in the second half are decent. I guess Cornelius had some juice in the tank.
U2UCXCr.jpg
7oKoWeD.jpg

Wow this actually looks close to the quality of the Iso character designs.
So the climax happens, twists occur and the usual long standing grudges are resolved. It's kind of low key compared to the other set-pieces as there aren't any serious tension points but the action is storyboarded and animated well enough for the most part.
I do think the fight between the Major and Kurutsu could have been better storyboarded though as the long distance in the camera didn't reflect the personal involvement between the characters and so the fight came off as somewhat passionless
. I did find the scene between the
real Kurutsu and Motoko at the end
to be nice but I wish Ubukata had expanded on their relationship earlier in the OVAs. Anyway the film then closes with a PG-13 lead-in into the original Ghost in the Shell film. I liked the idea until I went back and looked at the original. Oops, I shouldn't have done that. Still though it's a good way of tying everything up and the scene with the team under the cherry blossoms was a good way of paying homage to the original manga. All in all, I obviously liked the movie despite the flaws and thought it was a better movie than what the Solid State Society movie turned out to be.

Jarmel

Banned
So was watching the OVAs necessary to enjoy the movie? Or can we just skip to the movie?

You could probably skip straight to the movie. It might be worth watching Alternative Architecture 9 & 10 just so you're somewhat familiar with the Firestarter case but it really doesn't matter. It's mostly its own entity.

Cornbread78

I've been watching anime with you guys for almost 2 years now and this is the first season that only 1 thread was used.. ya'll need to watch more anime next season!

At least Working.com and the Future Diary x Madoka show kick things off this weekend!

Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie (Arise Continuity) -

Yeah, what makes this movie work is the strength of the action direction. It's some of the clearest and slickest depiction of large-scale setpieces I've ever seen. As you point out, the writing can get a bit dodgy, but it works well enough to provide justification for the action. I like this movie not only more than Solid State Society, which had little going for it beyond Kanno's usual excellent music, but also more than Innocence, where Oshii's penchant for philosophical babbling really rubbed me the wrong way despite some interesting ideas.

Mailbox

I've been watching anime with you guys for almost 2 years now and this is the first season that only 1 thread was used.. ya'll need to watch more anime next season!

At least Working.com and the Future Diary x Madoka show kick things off this weekend!

._o

shit that's THIS weekend?!
fuck! This semester has been a huge fucking mess with quizzes and dumb assignments every other day. I don't even have an avatar ready for the season transition D:

Whatever, fuck it! Time to buckle down and get shit done!

zulux21

Watch the two Oshii movies. Stop. Not hard at all.

meh. Stand alone complex is better than either of the movies in pretty much every way but background design (and likely animation as it's movie vs tv series but isn't something I paid serious attention too. the movies just have very pretty backgrounds especially the second).
better story
better character design
better character building
better music

the movies are great as works of art... but not so great as actual interesting movies >.>;
meanwhile both stand alone complex are series I really enjoy.

jonjonaug

I too have always wanted to check out Ghost in the Shell, but there's just so much stuff out that I get overwhelmed.

Manga, original two films, Stand Alone Complex, and Arise are all seperate continuities.

Level of quality goes SAC>original film 1=early manga>original film 2>Arise>late manga if you're main concern is the quality of the writing with SAC being far and away the standout champ, but there's no denying that the Oshii films are freaking beautiful to look at.

So basically, just watch Stand Alone Complex if you want good post-cyberpunk stories, watch the films if you want to see some cool looking stuff. I wouldn't bother with the manga or Arise.

Clov

Yeah, what makes this movie work is the strength of the action direction. It's some of the clearest and slickest depiction of large-scale setpieces I've ever seen. As you point out, the writing can get a bit dodgy, but it works well enough to provide justification for the action. I like this movie not only more than Solid State Society, which had little going for it beyond Kanno's usual excellent music, but also more than Innocence, where Oshii's penchant for philosophical babbling really rubbed me the wrong way despite some interesting ideas.

While Innocence goes a little crazy with its quotations, I still love the movie. Not as much as the 1995 original, but it's still fantastic overall. While the new film has some great action scenes, I feel like the atmosphere just doesn't compare to the two Oshii films. I can definitely agree that the new movie is better than SSS though, which honestly was completely forgettable.

Jarmel

Banned

It's a shame that the writing wasn't trimmed down or edited a bit more. There are some interesting ideas presented here, unlike in the OVAs, where another couple of editing passes could have let those themes shine a bit more. It really makes me wonder why it's only Fafner where Ubukata can put out good stuff.

I also just rewatched the opening assault and the direction is great even with how the OST is used. There's a lull where the music is playing and the audience is wondering what is going to go wrong and bit by bit there's a feeling of abnormality leading to the explosion at the prime minister's location.

Watch the two Oshii movies. Stop. Not hard at all.
meh. Stand alone complex is better than either of the movies in pretty much every way but background design (and likely animation as it's movie vs tv series but isn't something I paid serious attention too. the movies just have very pretty backgrounds especially the second).
better story
better character design
better character building
better music

the movies are great as works of art... but not so great as actual interesting movies >.>;
meanwhile both stand alone complex are series I really enjoy.
Manga, original two films, Stand Alone Complex, and Arise are all seperate continuities.
Level of quality goes SAC>original film 1=early manga>original film 2>Arise>late manga if you're main concern is the quality of the writing with SAC being far and away the standout champ, but there's no denying that the Oshii films are freaking beautiful to look at.
So basically, just watch Stand Alone Complex if you want good post-cyberpunk stories, watch the films if you want to see some cool looking stuff. I wouldn't bother with the manga or Arise.
While Innocence goes a little crazy with its quotations, I still love the movie. Not as much as the 1995 original, but it's still fantastic overall. While the new film has some great action scenes, I feel like the atmosphere just doesn't compare to the two Oshii films. I can definitely agree that the new movie is better than SSS though, which honestly was completely forgettable.
And this is why I said it's overwhelming lol. Jonjonaug's post did help with sorting everything out.

I'll most likely just watch everything from the get go tbh, whenever I have a large gap of free time. Maybe during the cold Canadian Winter, since I will be in co-op again, which means no quizzes, or labs/assignments/readings past 5PM.

And this is why I said it's overwhelming lol. Jonjonaug's post did help with sorting everything out.

I'll most likely just watch everything from the get go tbh, whenever I have a large gap of free time. Maybe during the cold Canadian Winter, since I will be in co-op again, which means no quizzes, or labs/assignments/readings past 5PM.

Finish TTGL first plz. :(

Finish TTGL first plz. :(
I'm still at 27hrs with CSII. Since school started I'm struggling to keep up with everything happening in my life lol. Co-op job hunting, interviews, readings, assignments, midterms, new pet in the household, etc, etc, etc. And in typical fashion, I keep piling more stuff to do for no good reason, other than because I can.

I asked about GiTS so I could jot it the down so I can add them to my MAL. But it just seems like I'll start at the very beginning and go from there.when this will happen, no clue.

zulux21

I'm still at 27hrs with CSII. Since school started I'm struggling to keep up with everything happening in my life lol. Co-op job hunting, interviews, readings, assignments, midterms, new pet in the household, etc, etc, etc. And in typical fashion, I keep piling more stuff to do for no good reason, other than because I can.

I asked about GiTS so I could jot it the down so I can add them to my MAL. But it just seems like I'll start at the very beginning and go from there.when this will happen, no clue.

well as someone else said, the beginning is kind of weird.
as there are multiple universes of the show.
and the second ghost in the shell movie that is a sequel to the first chronologically came out after the TV series in a different universe and has nothing to do with SAC so would be better to watch right after the first movie instead of chronological of release ect :p

I mean I suppose it can be overwhelming but the simple solution.
treat them as multiple series.

You have Ghost in the shell
You have Stand Alone Complex
and you have Arise.
doesn't really matter to much what order you watch them in as they aren't connected to each other.

basically if you only have a little time give Ghost in the shell a watch. the first is worth watching as merely a classic, and the second movie is worth watching for the art.

if you have a lot of time then do stand alone complex as that one is like 50 episodes and a movie

and then if you want more watch arise... I can't comment on it much though as I have only watched like the first episode of it.

Darkangel

So I started watching Attack on Titan and was really enjoying it up until around episode 8 when
Eren transformed into a titan.
I honestly don't even feel like watching it anymore. The whole super secret power up thing is such a terrible anime cliche.

For the record I'm going into this series completely blind. I have no idea what direction they'll end up taking it, but right now it feels like a major shark jumping moment.

I understand. I often find myself doing the same thing as well. I'm trying to finish Penguindrum and Doremi before I start watching any other backlog shows however. Trying to keep things in control, haha.

It was a show that was decent because the characters had enjoyable dialogue and personalities, but I don't know if I'd praise it above that.

No way, man. The show was great not just because of the good dialogue with the characters and their personalities, but also because of just how consistent and sincere the writing was, how fluent and slick the CG dimension fights were, and overall doing more than just being an average kids show meant to sell a product.

jgminto

You missed the days of four threads a season, good times. Basically all the big posters from then have been banned though.

well as someone else said, the beginning is kind of weird.
as there are multiple universes of the show.
and the second ghost in the shell movie that is a sequel to the first chronologically came out after the TV series in a different universe and has nothing to do with SAC so would be better to watch right after the first movie instead of chronological of release ect :p

I mean I suppose it can be overwhelming but the simple solution.
treat them as multiple series.

You have Ghost in the shell
You have Stand Alone Complex
and you have Arise.
doesn't really matter to much what order you watch them in as they aren't connected to each other.

basically if you only have a little time give Ghost in the shell a watch. the first is worth watching as merely a classic, and the second movie is worth watching for the art.

if you have a lot of time then do stand alone complex as that one is like 50 episodes and a movie

and then if you want more watch arise... I can't comment on it much though as I have only watched like the first episode of it.
This is the most comprehensive way of putting it, and certainly made it easy enough to understand. Good stuff, thanks for this!

just cajun mostly, a lot of people just stopped posting
Yeah it's mainly folks stopped posting. I think one to two threads at a time is better though I don't have to go through 20 pages at a time as I try to catch up and I can now be part of multiple communities on gaf while keeping up to date.

#rlmgafbestgaf

Part of me hopes that a mod takes pity on cajun and unbans him as his positive energy mixed with kiritobreads would bring a lot of life to this thread

zulux21

Yeah it's mainly folks stopped posting. I think one to two threads at a time is better though I don't have to go through 20 pages at a time as I try to catch up and I can now be part of multiple communities on gaf while keeping up to date.

#rlmgafbestgaf

Part of me hopes that a mod takes pity on cajun and unbans him as his positive energy mixed with kiritobreads would bring a lot of life to this thread

I've been posting more :(
mostly because the threads don't move as fast anymore so I can post without feeling like I will just be 20 posts behind by the time I finish a post.

jonjonaug

Anyone want Overlord s2?
...nah it's Madhouse show, so please enjoy movie.
Oh wait, it's recap movie.
kCT6pY3.jpg

Only if they spend the first three episodes on volume four and the remaining nine or ten on volumes five and six.

But really a "good" season of Overlord would be volumes seven and onward, where the series starts to become a little self-aware about its trashiness and turns various factors up to eleven (volumes 9 and 10 are actually legitimately good instead of just funny/ironic reads IMO). And seeing as season 2 is doubtful, I doubt we'd get a season 3.

EDIT: Really I just wanna see everyone's reactions to the Best Princess Ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom