• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive: “no plans for a PC version right now,” says developer

If I was an Xbox One owner I'd be so upset right now. Seems like almost all the AAA Xbox One exclusives so far (Titanfall, Dead Rising 3, Ryse) have come to PC. I get that Microsoft is invested in the PC market, obviously, but that wouldn't instill confidence for Xbox One fans.

Keep this game an exclusive, whatever that means these days anymore.

Microsoft aren't making these decisions. Capcom/Crytek are. Why would you be pissed anyway? You can still play that game on your platform of choice? How does a PC release affect you at all? It's just extremely selfish to want a game to stay exclusive. You don't get any benefit out of it, only MS does.

hawk2025

I ain't waiting!

But I'll gladly double dip eventually if the game lives up to my lofty expectations and if they ever decide to make a PC version. From the wording, it seems like the contract allows them do so at some point in the future.

While we're at it, Insomniac, yes I would buy Fuse if it was ported to PC!

Tagyhag

I didn't even think about Sunset becoming a multiplat, but it could be a possibility down the line.

So there shouldn't be ANY exclusives on any platform? Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, Halo 5, Quantum Break, etc should all come to PC?

Hmmm

Dude that'd be sweet. Then you could play those games at their best.

The whole reason Insomniac did a deal with Xbox in the first place was so that they could branch out the IP to new platforms.

This was never intended as a new exclusive franchise. Ever.

Which is why they signed a deal with a console maker knowing it would exclude certain platforms?

If MS want the game on PC, then presumably Insomniac will be happy to make that happen, as it is, its an Xbox One exclusive and I suspect it'll stay that way for subsequent sequels if its successful enough that MS/Insomniac want to keep the relationship going.

I wonder how much overlap there is between X1 and PC crowds?
Apparently not enough that Microsoft/publishers/developers felt they couldn't make extra money by making PC ports of Dead Rising 3, Ryse, and formerly exclusive indie games (at least enough to recoup the cost of a port I assume.).

Granted, that could be because it was early on in the XB1 lifecycle, so maybe they did that for those games to get a quick bump in sales. It's possible that now more XB1s have been sold there may be less of a need for Microsoft/pubs/devs to release their games on PC as well.

Hopefully not though! The more PC games the better for me.

If I was an Xbox One owner I'd be so upset right now. Seems like almost all the AAA Xbox One exclusives so far (Titanfall, Dead Rising 3, Ryse) have come to PC. I get that Microsoft is invested in the PC market, obviously, but that wouldn't instill confidence for Xbox One fans.

Xbox fans get to a) play the games and b) play the games first and with a larger player pool. Why would they be upset about games being multiplat with PC? If anything, allowing their exclusives to eventually come to PC encourages more devs to enter into 'exclusive' publishing deals with MS.

legacyzero

Banned
image.php

Hahahah

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Would be a terrible decision. The game looks awesome, and would make a great X1 exclusive franchise going forward.

I just don't get this logic.

"This game looks great, I hope only the people who bought this proprietary hardware get to experience it because that would be good for massive corporation X"

Orayn

Well, glad to hear it's still on the tablet at least. I probably won't get an Xbox One for quite a while, but I'd welcome a PC version with open arms if/when it happens.

Insomniac owns the IP if I'm not mistaken, so a multiplat Sunset Overdrive 2 is also a possibility, right?

It's not like the game is being taken away from XB1 owners if it comes out for PC. No reason to be upset.

ClearData

It sounds like the door's open for a PC version in the future. The developer didn't say no, just that he didn't know.

The real question seems to be how many "eexclusives" will the X1 have for those that own a gaming PC. Dead Rising and Ryse have / are making the jump. What about this game or Quantum Break? I wonder how many people would wait for an enhanced PC port of said titles. I'm tempted to.

Krakn3Dfx

so you mean the answer wasn't "This is a life-time exclusive to Xbox One."

Pretty telling IMO.

Yeah, unlike Capcom who said "Dead Rising 3 is never coming anywhere else, not to the PS4, not to the PC! Read my lips! Bank on it!" instead of "No plans currently to..." which would have been more than sufficient.

As if it wasn't hard enough to believe anything Capcom said before that, now they're just known as bald face liars. At least Insomniac is hedging their bets for the future, and good on them for that.

Wish companies would just say no and move on. Don't make any grey statements. It isn't like if something changes, people would be less likely to buy it. If anything, what happens is people don't buy the game, hoping that it will come out for their platform and by the time it does, they have lost interest.

Nzyme32

Would be a terrible decision. The game looks awesome, and would make a great X1 exclusive franchise going forward.

But wasn't the point of going with Xbox so that they could keep the rights themselves? Doesn't sound like they want it to be an exclusive anything for very long

timlot

Banned
I think every developer, including Sony and Nintendo should "eventually" release some games on PC. Would love to see a games like Tlou, Bloodborn, Mario, MK8, etc. in 4k with the highest fidelity possible. Every game is a compromise on console.

daman824

It is a bad decision because it provides less ammo for fanboy list wars.
Or it's a bad decision because it gives me and many others less of a reason to keep their xb1s while buying games at full $60 and paying $60 a year to play online.

Seriously, if this and the mcc come to pc I'm probably going to sell my xb1. That would be 2 years in a row where the big system exclusives get ported to pc (which I already have). I have a ps4 for multiplats. The xb1 is an exclusive machine. And without exclusives, I'm getting rid of it.

hawk2025

Well, glad to hear it's still on the tablet at least. I probably won't get an Xbox One for quite a while, but I'd welcome a PC version with open arms if/when it happens.

Insomniac owns the IP if I'm not mistaken, so a multiplat Sunset Overdrive 2 is also a possibility, right?

We don't know the details of the contract, but Microsoft may have rights of first refusal on a sequel.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
It sounds like the door's open for a PC version in the future. The developer didn't say no, just that he didn't know.

The real question seems to be how many "eexclusives" will the X1 have for those that own a gaming PC. Dead Rising and Ryse have / are making the jump. What about this game or Quantum Break? I wonder how many people would wait for an enhanced PC port of said titles. I'm tempted to.

Quantum Break is the one xbone exclusive I'm fairly sure will come to PC. Remedy loves the PC platform and begged for MS to let them release Alan Wake on Steam. If it doesn't happen, it won't be for lack of trying.

I'd actually be curious to see any statistics about the actual amount of Xbox vs. PC gamers.

I know in theory, the idea is that "why would anyone then get an Xbox for those games if they have a good PC?" but surely there are some people that just inherently prefer a console environment over a PC, even with all the recent strides towards being more living-room friendly. I'm not sure what's the size of those markets though.

Maybe it's possible that MS can crunch the numbers and say "sure, put it on PC, it wouldn't actually cut into console sales as much as people think it is". And MS has obviously adopted a more cross-platform strategy in other aspects over the past year or so, so philosophically they're more ok with it nowadays.

fantomena

But wasn't the point of going with Xbox so that they could keep the rights themselves? Doesn't sound like they want it to be an exclusive anything for very long

Yes. Insomniac owns the Sunset Overdrive IP so they can do whatever they want with it. Make a PC version, iOS version, Ouya version, sell the IP to Putin as far as I know. Correct me if wrong.

NickFire

No plans right now + don't know what the future holds = 100% of course there is going to be a PC version but they are not supposed to tell you that right now per the rules of MS.

That said, I really don't give much weight to the whole "if its also on PC its not really an exclusive" argument. Sure, technically that is a correct argument 100% of the time. But IMO, the majority of people trying to decide between MS and Sony machines aren't factoring in whether a specific game is on PC.

Flarin

Microsoft aren't making these decisions. Capcom/Crytek are. Why would you be pissed anyway? You can still play that game on your platform of choice? How does a PC release affect you at all? It's just extremely selfish to want a game to stay exclusive. You don't get any benefit out of it, only MS does.

It's not like the game is being taken away from XB1 owners if it comes out for PC. No reason to be upset.

I feel like the whole reason to own a console anymore these days is to play the exclusive games. 3rd party titles come out on everything and the ability to play your PC games on your big TV is easier than ever. If I bought an Xbox One just to play Ryse or whatever and then I found out it was coming out on something else later I'd be pretty upset.

I get that it still offers a unique experience compared to other systems or even PC, but that still would be pretty disappointing to me.

Xbox fans get to a) play the games and b) play the games first and with a larger player pool. Why would they be upset about games being multiplat with PC? If anything, allowing their exclusives to eventually come to PC encourages more devs to enter into 'exclusive' publishing deals with MS.

I'm fine with letting everyone play everything, but don't tell me I need to pay $400-$500 for your console as the only way to play certain games, then release it on something else later. It's like why buy the system in the first place?

Wish companies would just say no and move on. Don't make any grey statements. It isn't like if something changes, people would be less likely to buy it. If anything, what happens is people don't buy the game, hoping that it will come out for their platform and by the time it does, they have lost interest.

I can't speak for everyone but I don't ever lose interest in games that get late PC ports. I got hype when FFIV and FFXIII were announced. I can easily just skip the game and wait if there's a chance of a PC port later down the line.

I feel like the whole reason to own a console anymore these days is to play the exclusive games. 3rd party titles come out on everything and the ability to play your PC games on your big TV is easier than ever. If I bought an Xbox One just to play Ryse or whatever and then I found out it was coming out on something else later I'd be pretty upset.

I get that it still offers a unique experience compared to other systems or even PC, but that still would be pretty disappointing to me.

If that is literally the only reason to own a console, then maybe the console manufacturers need to try a bit harder to pull customers in.

Man, console players really don't want PC players to be happy. Why guys? What did we do wrong?

It's not that they don't want us PC players in particular to be happy, it's just them not wanting their console to become obsolete:

Part of me hopes it doesn't because I need reasons to justify an Xbone purchase and if the console keeps losing exclusives there is no reason to buy one anymore, but the other part wants to play it at higher than 900p.

It's this stuff that makes me want to say "Too bad!"

Fuse on 2 platforms sold less than main Ratchet games on PS3. Same is true for the other dev who went multiplat: Ninja Theory.

Good point actually. But the general consensus in those cases is that the games were worse, right?
Or it's a bad decision because it gives me and many others less of a reason to keep their xb1s while buying games at full $60 and paying $60 a year to play online.

Seriously, if this and the mcc come to pc I'm probably going to sell my xb1. That would be 2 years in a row where the big system exclusives get ported to pc (which I already have). I have a ps4 for multiplats. The xb1 is an exclusive machine. And without exclusives, I'm getting rid of it.

Usually people lump the xbox as not being known for its heavy exclusive content. I like halo quite a bit too (1, 2, and reach) but buying a whole system for that was a pretty hard sell.

But to get to your point, maybe you are just perhaps seeing the light at the end of the tunnel? Exclusives just being exclusives because microsoft fit a bill, and not because the hardware makes the game better somehow, just shows how false exclusivity is. In fact, it could be a better thing for you overall to sell the xb1 if that happens. You would save money on online and 60 dollar purches then.

Obviously that sucks for you having gotten the system in the first place. Right now the game on xb1 which is by far the best gameplay-wise is KI. KI could have perhaps been a system seller for the fighting community if their was like an x1 arcade edition with a puny harddrive.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned

I'm honestly in the belief that Microsoft is locking down these exclusives with the added caveat that the game can come to pc later. Something Sony would never do. Dead rising. Ryse.... Master chief collection maybe. Titanfall. It all makes sense imo

But if you don't have a PC then surely they are still exclusive?

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
It's not that they don't want us PC players in particular to be happy, it's just them not wanting their console to become obsolete:

It's this stuff that makes me want to say "Too bad!"
I'm an Xbox One fan and a pc gamer. My friends have xbox ones. We do our multilayer gaming on it for stuff like dead rising 3.id never play a game like dead rising 3 in Co op on pc with my mates. It just feels alien to me, but giving pc gamers an excellent port sometime after is amazing for those peeps that happily would. I like ms allowing this kind of thing.

Top Bottom