• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive: “no plans for a PC version right now,” says developer

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I've said this before:

I think the only reason Insomniac went to Microsoft in the first place is because I believe they've hit a point where they want to be a greater part of the gaming community. Steam (and PC in general) is a part of that. They want the long-term sales from the PC platform. They want to self-publish on Steam. They want to be a developer that the community engages with.

Ten years from now I think we'll have a bunch of Insomniac games on Steam, including Sunset Overdrive. That's their goal. They want to invest more into their IPs. They want a larger community than what Sony and the console space can offer. They also want to work with a publisher that's willing to take a risk. Microsoft is in that position where they desperatly need original content for its box, and with all their studios only producing sequels they have turned to 2nd/3rd party for that originality.

Microsoft has no real interest keeping this exclusive to Xbox. They just don't want the developer to act as if it is exclusive for all eternity for 6 months.

There's no doubt the value proposition of the Xbox One's game library visibly decreases with each 'exclusive' that eventually comes to the PC, but I'd still be happy for PC owners to be able to enjoy these games. Cheers.

Nzyme32

It's not that they don't want us PC players in particular to be happy, it's just them not wanting their console to become obsolete:

I suppose that is just it though - console gaming is so reliant on exclusive titles, or at least in the eyes of many gaffers. While this is true on the PC, it happens naturally due to those games only working well on the platform or there are services that make it possible/feesable etc. I don't think there is ever any complaints about a PC game spreading to consoles, unless it caused a dilution of the core game itself

Game is utterly skippable from the looks of it.

Get out!

aU5AwHx.gif

Don't do it MS/Insomniac.

They don't deserve it.

You too!

iURva6PqBPCoY.gif

lately it seems a majority expect xbox exclusives to go on PC which I can see why almost everything they released so far has gone to PC, if I had just bought a xbox i would wonder what i spent my money for if i can get all the games on the PC - they need something

There is no need to be so defensive, i was asking because i didn't know.

Sorry, now I feel like a dick. I believe Fuse had a PC version, but the Resistance and Ratchet games are Sony's (who never publish on PC outside of SOE), and the Spyro franchise was Universal (later Vivendi Universal and now Activision), but funded by Sony as PS1 exclusives. Prior to that their only game I know of is Disruptor, but I don't know who owns that, and it was shit anyway.

Why does there always have to be a PC version of an Xbox One exclusive? Let the system have games that can't be found on other platforms. I never see anyone on here say things like "I'm holding out on Bloodborne in case there is a PC version." When that was announced for PS4, sure there were questions on whether or not it was coming to PC, but the general vibe was that it's a straight up PS4 exclusive. Why can't it be like that for QB, SO, etc?

bombshell

If I was an Xbox One owner I'd be so upset right now. Seems like almost all the AAA Xbox One exclusives so far (Titanfall, Dead Rising 3, Ryse) have come to PC. I get that Microsoft is invested in the PC market, obviously, but that wouldn't instill confidence for Xbox One fans.

Keep this game an exclusive, whatever that means these days anymore.

All 3 of those also happens to be moneyhatted third party exclusives, same as SO is, so it will not be surprising if a PC port happens later.

Zalman

I think it's inevitable. They just won't talk about it before the game's out. The franchise will probably end up somewhere else at some point considering Insomniac owns the IP.

daman824

But if you don't have a PC then surely they are still exclusive?
I have a pc that can play these games. I bought an xb1 because I thought they would remain exclusive. If the apparent trend of xb1 exclusives being ported to pc continues, I'm selling my xb1. Free multiplayer, cheaper games, better effects/framerates.

And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Why does there always have to be a PC version of an Xbox One exclusive? Let the system have games that can't be found on other platforms. I never see anyone on here say things like "I'm holding out on Bloodborne in case there is a PC version." When that was announced for PS4, sure there were questions on whether or not it was coming to PC, but the general vibe was that it's a straight up PS4 exclusive. Why can't it be like that for QB, SO, etc?

It's pretty obvious. Sony and Nintendo are real console companies that do it for the love of console gaming, and have been around forever, while MS is just the new guy that's in it for the money (which is why they don't own any 1st party studios), so they must prove their hardcore credentials to us by porting games to the superior platform they have control over, the PC!

lol

lately it seems a majority expect xbox exclusives to go on PC which I can see why almost everything they released so far has gone to PC, if I had just bought a xbox i would wonder what i spent my money for if i can get all the games on the PC - they need something

I would think it's a little easier to go out and buy a $400 ready to play console than it is to get a decent $400 gaming pc. It's just easier I would think, not to mention consoles are mostly related to a tv experience (which most everyone has and uses) on a daily basis.

I'm still wondering why this question doesn't come out for Sony exclusives as much as Xbox exclusives.

vg260

So there shouldn't be ANY exclusives on any platform? Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, Halo 5, Quantum Break, etc should all come to PC?

Hmmm

Those are all from studios owned by the console manufacturers. so those would be ones where the console manufacturers would have a reason to keep them exclusive to sell their company's consoles. Such is not the case for this, Ryse, DR3, etc.

viveks86

Something tells me they really don't have plans for a PC version. May be because they've never released a PC game so far. Also, they own the IP, so I don't see MS giving this to some other dev to port it

keit4

Banned
Sorry, now I feel like a dick. I believe Fuse had a PC version, but the Resistance and Ratchet games are Sony's (who never publish on PC outside of SOE), and the Spyro franchise was Universal (later Vivendi Universal and now Activision), but funded by Sony as PS1 exclusives. Prior to that their only game I know of is Disruptor, but I don't know who owns that, and it was shit anyway.

No problem :)

In what way is Sunset a money hatted title?

In the same way as Bloodborne is.

BPoole

It looks interesting but I don't feel like I am missing much by never playing it. Insomniac has not been making good games the past several years

Those are all from studios owned by the console manufacturers. so those would be ones where the console manufacturers would have a reason to keep them exclusive to sell their company's consoles. Such is not the case for this, Ryse, DR3, etc.

From Studio (Bloodborne) and Remedy (Quantum Break) aren't owned by Sony/MS.

Warewolf

Of course there aren't. I'm sure part of the (limited?) exclusivity contract mean they can't talk about other versions.

Or maybe they'll hold out, Dead Rising and Ryse stayed exclusiv. . . . . . Oh wait a second

I-hate-u

But then whats the point of owning your IP? I am sure MS has restrictions on the Sony and Nintendo (yeah right) platforms, but not PC.

Anion

I'm honestly in the belief that Microsoft is locking down these exclusives with the added caveat that the game can come to pc later. Something Sony would never do. Dead rising. Ryse.... Master chief collection maybe. Titanfall. It all makes sense imo
Hmm. I could see this

Top Bottom