• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Alright, GAF. I have a couple of hours to kill. Quote me and include a code for ONE (1) of your levels if you want feedback + a star. Feedback will be given in the form of three positives and three negatives.

(Don't get too excited, though. I'm just a regular gamer and not particularly skilled. What I consider a 'negative' could very well be a positive to you.)

braves01

Banned
Alright, GAF. I have a couple of hours to kill. Quote me and include a code for ONE (1) of your levels if you want feedback + a star. Feedback will be given in the form of three positives and three negatives.

(Don't get too excited, though. I'm just a regular gamer and not particularly skilled. What I consider a 'negative' could very well be a positive to you.)

C452-0000-0067-71F7

My new pretty basic SMB 3 level. A couple questions related to stars, too. (1) How many stars are needed to unlock more uploads? (2) If I delete levels I have with stars, do I lose those stars for the purpose of unlocking more uploads?

WVW69iayn1sE75WhfJ

jholmes

Poor Nohar. I feel pretty bad that the common critique for his level is "You didn't shake the platforms to make the pretty colors enough."

Probably because his level is really quite good and people feel they have to be constructive and point out something as a negative, I should think.

Play Bounce on Big Bob-omb! and marvel at how much your life has improved.

WVW69iagrr0dDRz2WY

76F3-0000-0061-F95A

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

I wouldn't mind getting some feedback on this one:

The rest of my levels are just straight forward platforming, and I kinda know what to expect from them.

Here's my only real level I made so far. Tell me what you think.

WVW69iY5KR8llvklW2

Junior's Funhouse (888F-0000-003B-7DBE)

EDIT: FYI there's like 2 secret rooms in this level. If you can manage to find both let me know how rewarding it was to find them and how worth while it would be if you playing an actual Mario game.

Gsnap

Here you go. Raiding Rocky's Air Ride. Not that challenging, but there's enough stuff in there to keep the player engaged in jumping and exploring hopefully.

9391-0000-0046-3111

Core Zero

Still waiting any feedback on my 4 levels. It has a very experimental secret, I want to know if it works.

It my first world in my own Mario game called Super Vader World. These levels have something that I assume no one has attempted in this game. One of the best parts of Mario games are the secrets and secret worlds. So how do you have secrets in a game that doesn't allow any cohesion between levels? Well this is what I came up with.

Play the levels in order! And good luck discovering the secrets. This being world 1 it's pretty simple. I will only link to stage 1, find the rest on my profile in the game. Remember do it in order.

These were a lot of fun to play through, and the idea for a secret works pretty well if you can make use of it. I wish I had specific feedback but the levels are all fairly sprawling and have a lot going on, I feel like I missed pieces of all of them just because of how much there is to do. They're fun levels, and work well together without being overly hard are tedious. The progress through each level feels pretty organic which is nice as well. I don't have much feedback except to continue the series.

These were a lot of fun to play through, and the idea for a secret works pretty well if you can make use of it. I wish I had specific feedback but the levels are all fairly sprawling and have a lot going on, I feel like I missed pieces of all of them just because of how much there is to do. They're fun levels, and work well together without being overly hard are tedious. The progress through each level feels pretty organic which is nice as well. I don't have much feedback except to continue the series.

Did you try the secret level? And thank you!

Endy MacK

Does anyone know if it's normal for the game to suffer minor framerate issues on the TV, but not the game pad? That's the issue I'm seeing now.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag

C6CA-0000-005A-B5AD

It's called Flappy Mario and so there is the flappy way to clear the stage and there's a non-flappy way. To access the secret:
Please take a look at inconsistency in one of the pipes to access the secret area !

Feedback appreciated and thank you :)

Here is mine, C95F-0000-0063-D76B

It works best as all four though.

C452-0000-0067-71F7

+ Very nice SMB3-style level! It really does have that classic SMB3 feel (at least early on) I wish I encountered levels like these more often
+ Challenging, but fair for the most part
+ I loved that it gave me a chance to use troopa shells often (one of my favorite Mario mechanics)

- skipped most of the level using the cloud on my last try (I went under the pipes when I encountered the wall... was that intentional?)
-The levels does get a little too difficult near the end, at least compared to the rest of the level
-The boss at the goal felt a little out of place if you were going for that authentic SMB3 feel, but that's just me

Gave you a star and left a comment.

kiryogi

Banned

Woo, well here's a hard one! Don't listen to the arrows!

Escape Boo's Haunted Lab.!

(D914-0000-0064-2FBD)

NetMapel

Woo, well here's a hard one! Don't listen to the arrows!

Escape Boo's Haunted Lab.!

(D914-0000-0064-2FBD)

lol is this the latest iteration of the stage ? I saw sixfortyfive recorded play today, I believe. Definitely much more improved and more manageable. Still have no idea how you were able to beat it in its original design, hahaha

braves01

Banned
+ Very nice SMB3-style level! It really does have that classic SMB3 feel (at least early on) I wish I encountered levels like these more often
+ Challenging, but fair for the most part
+ I loved that it gave me a chance to use troopa shells often (one of my favorite Mario mechanics)

- skipped most of the level using the cloud on my last try (I went under the pipes when I encountered the wall... was that intentional?)
-The levels does get a little too difficult near the end, at least compared to the rest of the level
-The boss at the goal felt a little out of place if you were going for that authentic SMB3 feel, but that's just me

Gave you a star and left a comment.

Thanks. I didn't even think about the possibility someone would try to go under the pipes. I wanted to funnel people into the pipes. So I guess you broke my level? lol. I'll have to add to blocks and re-upload eventually, though I suspect most people won't do what you did. I might tone down the end a bit too and make it more consistent with SMB 3, but the temptation to go nuts with all the tools is pretty strong..

kiryogi

Banned
lol is this the latest iteration of the stage ? I saw sixfortyfive recorded play today, I believe. Definitely much more improved and more manageable. Still have no idea how you were able to beat it in its original design, hahaha

It is! 5th revision! Are you able to clear it now? lol. It's helped that I've gotten more feedback since the last time you tried it.

qko

I made a gimmick level a little while ago as a sort of proof-of-concept. No one's cleared it as of yet. I may have gone too far.

The Masher
E974-0000-0049-07EC

The beginning's the hardest part.

Beginning was the easiest part, TBH. Steal a trampoline and jump on a turtle to bypass the marching turtles. Going down the pipe was hard, had to jimmy the blocks falling down by tossing a trampoline up at the right time.

Probably because his level is really quite good and people feel they have to be constructive and point out something as a negative, I should think.

Play Bounce on Big Bob-omb! and marvel at how much your life has improved.

WVW69iagrr0dDRz2WY

76F3-0000-0061-F95A

+ Woah, that was a blast. I think I died once or twice and I loved it
+ You chose the right speed for this level. Lots of people don't. Thumbs up!
+ Bob-ombs are in my top 3 Mario enemies ever. Winged Bob-ombs? Sign me up

- I was sad when I realized I had missed the "secret" pipe. I wish I could've had a better chance to access it on my first try :( very minor complaint, tho, since most people will play it more than once (and I have to move on to other maps, unfortunately)
- This is more of a personal preference, but the "Ground" theme felt a little too 'placid' for the action in this level. This theme's music doesn't really get dat adrenaline flowing
- I felt myself jumping a little ahead a couple of times. Maybe space some of the jumps a little better (very minor complaint, really)

Star and a comment for you.

vikki

An odd note, people really like the "kick a koopa shell for a 1up" mechanic for 1-1 levels (I did this in my level as well), but unless one of the NSMB games does it, as far as I know, the earliest level that actually has a section like that is 1-2 of SMW, not 1-1. I guess it's just too satisfying not to have.

Technically level 2, but it can be the first level played in SMW. It is also a fairly short level, but introduces a lot of mechanics. Everything to do with Yoshi, moles, multi-enemy kill extra life, moles, football players?

jholmes

BTW guise, I promised you 3 positives and 3 negatives and that's what you get. You'll get those even if really really REALLY loved or really really REALLY hated your level, so if you feel that I'm reaching a little with some of my criticism or praise... then it's probably because I am :p (gotta meet that quota)

Let me tell you how pissed I am that SMB3's athletic theme isn't available. This stage absolutely needs to have music like this original SMB3 level.

So yeah, fair point, if there was something I could do about that, believe me, I would. I really wanted to!
I know :( that is my favorite Mario theme of all time.

OF ALL TIME

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

OF ALL TIME

It might be the piece of NES SMB music that gets on my nerves the most. I think it's the worst one when it comes to sound effects interfering with the instruments, but that may be selective memory at play.

Neki

Still waiting any feedback on my 4 levels. It has a very experimental secret, I want to know if it works.

It my first world in my own Mario game called Super Vader World. These levels have something that I assume no one has attempted in this game. One of the best parts of Mario games are the secrets and secret worlds. So how do you have secrets in a game that doesn't allow any cohesion between levels? Well this is what I came up with.

Play the levels in order! And good luck discovering the secrets. This being world 1 it's pretty simple. I will only link to stage 1, find the rest on my profile in the game. Remember do it in order.

Grass Land 1-1 (SVW)

(C95F-0000-0063-D76B)

WVW69ian9vAK5zMPLG

WVW69ian-NYZEIcIEh

WVW69iayGVcMLbHF4V

It was a good experience, all the levels flowrd and the difficulty ramped up with each iteration, not sure what the secret levels theme was all about, didn't really fit the rest of it, its a bit tedious to do all that work though lol

BooJoh

An odd note, people really like the "kick a koopa shell for a 1up" mechanic for 1-1 levels (I did this in my level as well), but unless one of the NSMB games does it, as far as I know, the earliest level that actually has a section like that is 1-2 of SMW, not 1-1. I guess it's just too satisfying not to have.
I don't know what the average player's experience was like, but when I first got SMW, and pretty much every playthrough after, I played 1-2 first, so it feels more like SMW's 1-1 to me. The actual 1-1 (Yoshi's Island 1) of SMW has always just felt like a level guarding the switch palace to me.

NetMapel

You can now claim levels that were submitted manually. If you are logged into the website you should see a "Claim this level" at the top right of this levels page.

Thank you! Also looks like the picture is fixed; I'm not sure if that's your doing or something else.

It was a good experience, all the levels flowrd and the difficulty ramped up with each iteration, not sure what the secret levels theme was all about, didn't really fit the rest of it, its a bit tedious to do all that work though lol

It's going to be like my star world, it will be a side thing that is Zelda themed cause I love Zelda and want to make Zelda levels too. Thanks for playing.

My thinking with this whole thing is that I don't like this single level focus, Mario games are about progression and secrets that connect levels to one another. I wanted my levels to feel like that , to feel like you go from one to another and that you can discover a real secret that leads to a whole different world.

Going forward though I can't be hiding my levels, it's a pain in the ass making a different account and having to unlock items again just to create a hidden level.

I wouldn't mind getting some feedback on this one:

The rest of my levels are just straight forward platforming, and I kinda know what to expect from them.

+ The level felt polished in terms of terrain and enemy placement
+ Interesting use of ice blocks
+ The level layout I thought was a clever way to get around the height limitation

- Some of the obstacles felt a little unfair. I kept hit fire bars and fire jets that I just couldn't see
- The jumps and obstacles are difficult enough that Bowser fire just isn't necessary
- I admit that I didn't really make it THAT far, but I would've liked to see other power-ups other than mushrooms early on

Didn't beat the level since I need to move on. Comment and star left.

NetMapel

You can now claim levels that were submitted manually. If you are logged into the website you should see a "Claim this level" at the top right of this levels page.

There will be a button to submit a level for deletion tomorrow or tonight. For now I have gone ahead and deleted it for you.

So I'm still scratching my head on how the Miiverse URL works. Which URL are we talking about ? I have a Play Journal URL for a level I made but that doesn't work when I try to upload using it.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkdlS82Og

What am I doing wrong ?

B_Bech

Aperture Science
(249C-0000-0067-A2D3)
WVW69ia0UDEfq5B3Rc

My next puzzle level is short but sweet. It's story driven so make sure you leave Miiverse commentary on. There is only one enemy in the whole stage: glaDOS. This level isn't hard, but Portal fans may recognize a few things. Check it out!

KeRaSh

You can now edit course descriptions and tags on MarioMakerHub by confirming your Miiverse account! All your levels added to the website will be found under the "My Levels" section of your dashboard.

We have also almost hit 1,000 levels on the website - http://www.mariomakerhub.com/levels

We also have more planned upcoming features. Note not all for these features may be implemented as some are merely ideas we are discussing.

• Add a spoiler section to your level allowing you to list tips or hidden secrets.
  • Add YouTube videos to your level page and more than one image.
  • Follow a creator and be notified when they upload new levels.
  • Creator sorting (Find famous game developers or personalities that created levels)
  • Worlds Section - Playlists for levels. Allowing you to share a group of levels following a theme you created or just any list of levels really.
  • Report button for deleted levels or inappropriate content.

Please submit ideas and feedback!

Awesome! Linked my account. It would be cool to sort your levels so when someone visits your profile they can see your levels in the order you created them or in reverse order.

Let me tell you how pissed I am that SMB3's athletic theme isn't available. This stage absolutely needs to have music like this original SMB3 level.

So yeah, fair point, if there was something I could do about that, believe me, I would. I really wanted to!

I absolutely love the regular SMB3 level theme. It might even be my favorite one. The athletic theme on the other hand can suck it. Not because I think it's bad but because I associate it with hard autoscrolling levels. It brings back memories... O_O

Is it too late? If not please try this: Trials of Osiris
4BC9-0000-0062-5935

ohNOitsRO

Guys I just spent I don't know how long designing this water stage.. It's really nothing crazy in terms of gameplay, it's just a find the 100 coins challenge but I placed it in what I think are nicely designed water caverns!

So yeah it's a water level that if you rush through it isn't really all that exciting but trying to finish the course with all 100 coins is! Again I feel like it might be too easy but idk. Any feedback at all is greatly appreciated

'100 Coin' Caverns
ID: B9FE-0000-0067-D6CC

Thanks homies I'm still getting around to playing a bunch of gaf levels, I have a nice list going

Here's my only real level I made so far. Tell me what you think.

WVW69iY5KR8llvklW2

Junior's Funhouse (888F-0000-003B-7DBE)

EDIT: FYI there's like 2 secret rooms in this level. If you can manage to find both let me know how rewarding it was to find them and how worth while it would be if you playing an actual Mario game.

+ Challenging, but also rewarding! I liked your enemy placement (Thwomp taking out a dry-bones as it breaks the floor and plunges into the lava. That felt NICE)
+ I think I found one of two secret rooms (I'm pretty sure the invisible block at the end of a section was one of them). But overall, I enjoyed how I was given little rewards like coin rooms and power ups fairly often. I made me want to keep going!
+ I liked the balance between trickly platforming sections and relatively easy "morale boosters" sections

- I beat the boss on my first try simply by hovering above it while his fire lighted the bob-ombs. These would explode on their own and hurt it. Felt way too easy compared to the rest of the level, not sure if that was intentional (might want to fix?)
- I know that timing these can be difficult (based on my own experience), but the buzz saws and lava bubbles section felt a little unfair sometimes. I didn't really die here, but it always felt more like luck due to having the cape (it takes 3 hits to get you)
- I hate dry-bones. Ayyyy how I hate them :p

Star and comment for you, sir!

It might be the piece of NES SMB music that gets on my nerves the most. I think it's the worst one when it comes to sound effects interfering with the instruments, but that may be selective memory at play.

Yet another reason why the All-Stars Version is superior. I prefer all of its tunes over the original NES version except maybe Bowser's battle theme.

Just listen to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjgJ2Kb9YUA&list=PL643E0FF0F3E1E1EA&index=56

So good.

Neki

It is! 5th revision! Are you able to clear it now? lol. It's helped that I've gotten more feedback since the last time you tried it.
Dude I can't imagine what your level was like before this, all the wrong ways and turns makes you feel so bad. I was also right beside the end several times but I couldn't figure out what to do. I think the stage is way too much trial and error, but the platforming is fair. I was basically speed running to the last area every time, so that's good level design, but all the dead ends really put a toll. A checkpoint would have helped too. Starred though, beat it after twenty tries lol.

It's going to be like my star world, it will be a side thing that is Zelda themed cause I love Zelda and want to make Zelda levels too. Thanks for playing.

My thinking with this whole thing is that I don't like this single level focus, Mario games are about progression and secrets that connect levels to one another. I wanted my levels to feel like that , to feel like you go from one to another and that you can discover a real secret that leads to a whole different world.

Going forward though I can't be hiding my levels, it's a pain in the ass making a different account and having to unlock items again just to create a hidden level.

Yeah unfortunate that you can't hide levels

B_Bech

BTW guise, I promised you 3 positives and 3 negatives and that's what you get. You'll get those even if really really REALLY loved or really really REALLY hated your level, so if you feel that I'm reaching a little with some of my criticism or praise... then it's probably because I am :p (gotta meet that quota)

OF ALL TIME

Steampunk Frantic Finale

8007-0000-005E-7D90

If you're still doing this!

kiryogi

Banned
Dude I can't imagine what your level was like before this, all the wrong ways and turns makes you feel so bad. I was also right beside the end several times but I couldn't figure out what to do. I think the stage is way too much trial and error, but the platforming is fair. I was basically speed running to the last area every time, so that's good level design, but all the dead ends really put a toll. A checkpoint would have helped too. Starred though, beat it after twenty tries lol.

In an ideal Mario Maker. There would be a checkpoint before the two puzzle rooms. Who knows. I might try and incorporate that with the code contraption someone made.

And yeah, I spent a lot of time getting the platforming down. You can go through this level in a variety of ways once you know the layout and approach. I don't recall. didn't I tell you the warning to not follow the arrows? I intentionally made every arrow point the wrong way to hammer that into the player and then when you reach the two puzzle rooms in the 2nd half, the arrows are all jumbled up, so I'd hope the player figures it out at that point.

If you are awfully curious, just check the levels I've uploaded and try the !!!! version XD

I'm gonna start off by admitting that I saw the way that trees were crafted in a level featured on Kyzon's stream, and I liked the way it looked so I decided to make my own level based entirely around a forest theme.

Featuring... The Forest Owlventure

awXwvPx.jpg

Something is amiss coming from across the lake! Noises prevent our nocturnal hero from getting a good rest and it seems everyone is startled by it as well, guide our owl friend through the forest and across the lake to get to the source of the trouble.

Forest Owlventure : (9F97-0000-0067-DB26)

Previous levels:
49A8-0000-005A-4E4C (easy version: 044F-0000-0066-F959) - Long Neglected Mining Cavern, underground level filled with Buzzy Beetles and Moles and collapsed bridges (warning, extremely low completion rate)
4E90-0000-003F-918E - Moving Parts May Be Present, moving platform and conveyer belt puzzle level (warning, low completion rate)
039D-0000-0035-25F7 - Balcony, ghost mansion level (not a door maze)
0150-0000-0030-7F09 - Misty Docks, undead themed level
2B71-0000-0027-A12F - "Into the Heart", level where you descend into a Bowser castle
0415-0000-0021-2DBA - Cheep Cheep spam level
2D77-0000-0019-BF96 - Piranha Plants on bounce springs level

Boba2007

This is one of the best levels I've made so far, maybe even the best. It's a desert level where you go inside a pyramid!

RDMpiZZ.jpg

Also I reached 300 stars today and got my 4th medal!

Here you go. Raiding Rocky's Air Ride. Not that challenging, but there's enough stuff in there to keep the player engaged in jumping and exploring hopefully.

9391-0000-0046-3111

+ Breezey and fun level. Looks great, plays well. Great combination.
+ I only played through it twice, and went through it fairly quickly, but I also feel like there was more to do and more to see (in a good way)
+ I liked the numbered mushroom rooms. Idk why, but it made me want to look for more of them :D

- It could definitely use some more challenge
- Personal preference waring: I was totally expecting a boss fight, but I didn't get one D:
- The other comment in your level is right. Make more, please!

Comment? Yes. Star? Yes!

Svafnir

So I'm still scratching my head on how the Miiverse URL works. Which URL are we talking about ? I have a Play Journal URL for a level I made but that doesn't work when I try to upload using it.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkdlS82Og

What am I doing wrong ?

You need to paste the actual in-game Miiverse posting. You can tell the difference because they are tagged on the top right with "In-Game" For the level you are posting it is:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkdk6YdMA

They are found under your posts section. (https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/NetMapel/posts)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Or it could be Youtube's 240p, which would be my fault for linking.

At least, the SNES version was actually in stereo and didn't get interrupted every five seconds by every sound effect .

Don't mind me. I'm just being unusually negative.

But I'm generally not fond of the SNES sound, particularly for games that were originally intended for a different platform. They usually sound like they're being played through a primitive MIDI synthesizer, and All-Stars is no exception.

RaidenZR

Made a new level tonight. I feel a little wishy-washy about it, though. Would love some constructive criticism if anyone feels like giving it a try. Thanks!

Subterranean Shroomin'
4932 - 0000 - 0067 - D8C3

WVW69ia0TpEyiPwdMb

Top Bottom