• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super "NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread" II TURBO

Chinbo37

Hi all, Im looking to get my first stick. Its to play USFIV on the PC as well as pick up SFV on the PC when it comes out.

So I guess 360 sticks would be a good option for me given the compatibility right?

Anyways, I want a standard kind of stick with Sanwa buttons and parts and a square hit box. The main requirement I have is that I dont like it when the stick and the buttons are too close together. At least for me when I play sitting, it causes some pain in my wrists and feels a bit unnatural. Can anyone recommend a stick that meets the above recommendations for me?

Thanks!

Edzi

Hi all, Im looking to get my first stick. Its to play USFIV on the PC as well as pick up SFV on the PC when it comes out.

So I guess 360 sticks would be a good option for me given the compatibility right?

Anyways, I want a standard kind of stick with Sanwa buttons and parts and a square hit box. The main requirement I have is that I dont like it when the stick and the buttons are too close together. At least for me when I play sitting, it causes some pain in my wrists and feels a bit unnatural. Can anyone recommend a stick that meets the above recommendations for me?

Thanks!

A PS3/PS4 stick would also have PC compatibility, and the Hori RAP4 Kai has more spacing between the stick and the buttons. I've got one and I love it, but you should know that it comes with Kuro buttons and not Sanwa, though you can probably swap those out easily if you want from what I hear.

braves01

Banned

Thanks!

You could find a Madcatz TE for 360/PS3 for <$100, but if you'd be open to non-Sanwa buttons or having to put in Sanwas, I think the Hori Fighting Edges are the most comfortable and could probably be had for $20-30 more.

Chinbo37

Thanks both!

Wow the Fighting Edge looks fucking awesome. I love the all white with the colored buttons. Im not married to Sanwa buttons its just that is what I am used to as my friend has quite a few sticks. What is more important to me is the spacing between the stick and the buttons. Also I would like to try to switch in a bat top stick.

Thanks again, this is giving me some ideas but that Fighting Edge really looks nice.

Dineren

Banned
A PS3/PS4 stick would also have PC compatibility, and the Hori RAP4 Kai has more spacing between the stick and the buttons. I've got one and I love it, but you should know that it comes with Kuro buttons and not Sanwa, though you can probably swap those out easily if you want from what I hear.

Out of curiosity, are there any weird requirements for the Hori RAP4 Kai on PC? I have a Madcatz te fighting stick for ps3 that apparently can only be used on PC if it has an intel usb controller. I've been looking for a PC stick for awhile and would like to get one that works on PS4 as well, but I don't have any slots open to install another usb controller.

Out of curiosity, are there any weird requirements for the Hori RAP4 Kai on PC? I have a Madcatz te fighting stick for ps3 that apparently can only be used on PC if it has an intel usb controller. I've been looking for a PC stick for awhile and would like to get one that works on PS4 as well, but I don't have any slots open to install another usb controller.

Nope. They just work when you plug them in. The TE also had that issue fixed a while back with revisions to the board, though there's no way to update to a newer board without buying a newer stick or swapping out the board itself.

colinp

Banned
One thing to think about re 360 or PS3/4 sticks on PC is that with a 360 stick usually the proper 360 equivalent buttons will pop up on all games, while with a PS3/4 stick you get generic 'button #' instead and it isn't always obvious which button is what without some practice or trial and error.

Not a huge deal, but I do find it annoying since I switched.

got my ps4 stick. thanks for bringing some out markman. Was wondering if it was possible to mod it for 360 support or not. Doesnt really seem like it based on how the pcb is shielded

Rigbaby

Neo Member
Just finished up a stick
Build features:
Curly Maple case stained black
Crown Joystick w/ Seimitsu face buttons
PS360+ PCB

slaycruz2.png

slaycruz5.png

Hassun

Neo Member
Crown Joystick w/ Seimitsu face buttons
That joystick looks like a vanilla ice cream. Very nice.

Also question for everyone. I spotted a PS3 HORI Fighting Edge for about €130. This seems like a nice price for one of these. But the downside is that it's a PS3 stick of course so I wonder if it's worth buying.
Could I get some use out of it in this post-PS3 era? Are they easy to mod?

Skilletor

That joystick looks like a vanilla ice cream. Very nice.

Also question for everyone. I spotted a PS3 HORI Fighting Edge for about €130. This seems like a nice price for one of these. But the downside is that it's a PS3 stick of course so I wonder if it's worth buying.
Could I get some use out of it in this post-PS3 era? Are they easy to mod?

Really difficult to mod because of the touchpad. You can play USF4, Skullgirls, and MKX on PS4 with it, though.

Also, it looks awesome. You could also use it to stare at for awhile.

Chinbo37

Are ps3 sticks plug and play on pc? Or do you need some crazy drivers like motion in joy or whatever the newer drivers are ?

Suplexer

I'm looking for something really cheap that I can use on my PS4. I have only used a fight stick once or twice, and remember liking it, but I don't want to drop $100+ on something I may not use very much (I'm more of a Smash guy, but I do enjoy SF). Either way, it would be nice to have one around, since I have a ton of friends who are into the the FGC.

Any suggestions?

Houndi101

Where do Eurofriends usually buy their
MadCatz
sticks?
It's ok when they happen to have them on Amazon but other than that it's a pain in the ass to find any sticks in Europe.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Wait. That layout seems retarded. Is Square, Triangle, Circle the G, P, K default layout of VF5?

Yes, if you boot the game up for the first time and don't change the control settings, this effectively adapts the default pad settings to a stick.

Luckily, it's really easy to change the wiring internally. In fact, it seems Lambtron already did that for me.

MadCatz
sticks?
It's ok when they happen to have them on Amazon but other than that it's a pain in the ass to find any sticks in Europe.

I don't think MadCatz have released any PS4 sticks in EU. PS3 ones I think are just old shipments some people still selling.

Ebay or Amazon (usually a marketplace seller) are really only places I can see, outside of a local independant lottery ticket.

oRuin

Does the Venom stick have touchpad support?

Sadly it does not. Not sure how much this is going to be an issue in the future, guess I'll find out at some point. This won't be my only ps4 stick, just something I wanted to put together for the time being. It's a solid base, quite weighty, and feels good on the lap.

Hassun

Neo Member
MadCatz
sticks?
General gaming/electronics stores sometimes sell them, especially if they have an online shop as well. Other than that it's mostly the big online retailers.

Speaking of which, while my Amazon.co.uk HRAP4 Kai is still eternally "Temporarily out of stock." I have found another store which has both the PS4 and Xone versions in stock. The only problem is they are selling them at €149 while the one I ordered at Amazon was £87.54 (€122).

Wondering if I should bite.

wingedkraby

Neo Member
I am in the process of modding my old Q1 Quanba and was wondering if anyone knew a place I could order a clear plexiglass for the art on top. I remember focus attack selling it , but it seems like they stopped sometime recently.

Houndi101

So what are the odds the Madcatz USFIV PS3/PS4 stick is gonna be the best money can buy (in reasonable price range) when SFV releases?
To my understanding it is at the moment?

Edzi

So I'm finally considering modding my stick and replacing the buttons. I've never actually done something like this before though, so hopefully all goes well. I've seen a couple videos of people swapping buttons and it seems relatively easy, though it's a bummer that I'll have to void the warranty on my Kai before I gain access to its guts. Any common mistakes or tips I should be aware of before I go for it? Also, is Focusattack a good site to buy buttons from? These are the ones I'm looking at atm (30mm is the right size, right?).

So what are the odds the Madcatz USFIV PS3/PS4 stick is gonna be the best money can buy (in reasonable price range) when SFV releases?
To my understanding it is at the moment?

The Hori Kai stick is good too (and cheaper), especially considering it actually has a touch pad.

DasRaven

Any common mistakes or tips I should be aware of before I go for it? Also, is Focusattack a good site to buy buttons from?

Go slow and use proper sized tools to avoid screw stripping if your changing levers.
Don't ever force anything. For buttons, remember the grip tabs are plastic and while flexible, they will break if you are rough with them.

Focusattack, arcadeshock, and paradise arcade are all great shops.
You may also find a deal in shoryuken.com's trading forum and definitely review the fans in the tech talk forum. I'm has pretty much all been done before and just about nothing is fatal.

Actions (Abxy or square tri cross circle) are 30mm, start/select/options are usually 24mm.
So you're right on track.

MRORANGE

Hello, I've decided to have a go at making an arcade cabinet using a raspberry pi, something like this I guess:

6TARRAr.jpg

before I can do that I need to make the arcade stick first and see if it's a success before building the whole thing.

I'm a fan of concave buttons and may go with these

4YveFR4.jpg

I've based the design on a X-Arcade, this was the first design mock-up

7cxJxBa.png

I then tried to make it illustrator but forgot to take into consideration that the concave rims would touch each other as they are too close:

w20BxAa.jpg

Grey square lines are the base.

My Questions
1. Is there anything wrong with my design mock-up I should be aware of? anything I am missing?
2. can I rotate the metal joystick moust so it's vertical rather horizontal? I really don't want it any wider than 30cm
2. How deep does the screw to bolt the concave buttons usually go? I'm going with 2m perspex and 5mm mdf. is that too thin for the screws to mount?

Top Bottom