• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super "NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread" II TURBO

Edzi

Go slow and use proper sized tools to avoid screw stripping if your changing levers.
Don't ever force anything. For buttons, remember the grip tabs are plastic and while flexible, they will break if you are rough with them.

Focusattack, arcadeshock, and paradise arcade are all great shops.
You may also find a deal in shoryuken.com's trading forum and definitely review the fans in the tech talk forum. I'm has pretty much all been done before and just about nothing is fatal.

Actions (Abxy or square tri cross circle) are 30mm, start/select/options are usually 24mm.
So you're right on track.

Thanks. Would I need any other tools aside from a screwdriver? The button connections can be (dis)connected with your hands, right?

Ostinatto

So, the Mad Catz Arcade FightStick Tournament Edition 2 for PlayStation 4, is the ultimate till the end of the PS4 cicle?

I'm about to buy it, i just need GAF confirmation. :D

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
So, the Mad Catz Arcade FightStick Tournament Edition 2 for PlayStation 4, is the ultimate till the end of the PS4 cicle?

It's totally up to what you want out of an arcade stick experience. Currently there are these options:

HORI V4 / V at $150
Mad Catz TE2 at $200
HORI VLX at $300

Each of them have their own benefits/merits. Feel free to ask about them. You really can't go wrong with either of them, and if price isn't an issue, then go for the one that appeals to you the most.

chronosic

So if I were to get a TE2 for ps4 , would I be able to mod in a ps360+ pcb to let it run in my 360 as well? New to the whole fightstick thing and I'm researching and exploring my options.

IMO, VLX is...at the moment. Premium build, sleek design and color choice, comes with a touchpad. It feels very good to play on. I haven't regretted buying 2. This thing is built like a tank with the looks of a Rolls.

Khaz

My Questions
1. Is there anything wrong with my design mock-up I should be aware of? anything I am missing?
2. can I rotate the metal joystick moust so it's vertical rather horizontal? I really don't want it any wider than 30cm
2. How deep does the screw to bolt the concave buttons usually go? I'm going with 2m perspex and 5mm mdf. is that too thin for the screws to mount?

Why do you want eight buttons?

Houndi101

It's totally up to what you want out of an arcade stick experience. Currently there are these options:

HORI V4 / V at $150
Mad Catz TE2 at $200
HORI VLX at $300

Each of them have their own benefits/merits. Feel free to ask about them. You really can't go wrong with either of them, and if price isn't an issue, then go for the one that appeals to you the most.

Does the HORI VLX work on PC like MadCatz?

Hassun

Neo Member
Second question, how big of difference between the 150 dollar and 300 dollar ones?

Earlier in this thread there are pictures of the (new) VLX.
The HRAP4 kai is kind of like the little brother of the VLX. More plasticy, lighter and harder to access the insides. Both of them use the same buttons and joystick.
The TE2 and VLX have easily accessible insides.

Hori has an Xone HRAP called the Hayabusa. The buttons on the "Kai" sticks are farther away from the joystick than on the other ones.
There is currently no Xone version of the VLX.
There is currently no PS4 version of the TE2 outside of the USA.

HRAP4 Kai
TE2
VLX

Throwback Hori ad

tumblr_n7ihc9Ns9f1rcb09yo1_1280.jpg

Earlier in this thread there are pictures of the (new) VLX.
The HRAP4 kai is kind of like the little brother of the VLX. More plasticy, lighter and harder to access the insides. Both of them use the same buttons and joystick.
The TE2 and VLX have easily accessible insides

I would caution saying harder to access without some qualifier, since it's literally just removing a few screws. The VLX is easier to open, yes, but this is like saying component cables are harder to hook up than HDMI.

Goddard

I have the official schematics to the Arcade in a Box standard stick. Owner of the company gave them to me himself. I can give them to you if you want. You can rotate the joystick btw.

SUPARSTARX

How essential is the touchpad on PS4 sticks?
What kind of odds that the Madcatz PS4 SFV stick (that surely is coming?) is gonna have that?

E: Also where is the touchpad located on this? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SULMRI4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

On the VLX it's in the back next to the cable compartment. I'd imagine it's the same on these as well. It's like reaching back to push the start/select on the MadCatz TEs but you're just rubbing this instead. haha

braves01

Banned
Thanks, apparently the Horis have better sticks but worse buttons than Madcatz? Worth it to switch them around as a "casual"?

It's not hard to switch them or even that expensive, but I don't think a "casual" would really care about the difference. Both brands are perfectly playable with stock parts.

Houndi101

Alright, wonder how long do I dare to postpone the purchase, EVERYTHING will be sold out by SFV I assume

Btw why don't they advertise those sticks supporting PCs too?

myco666

Alright, wonder how long do I dare to postpone the purchase, EVERYTHING will be sold out by SFV I assume

Btw why don't they advertise those sticks supporting PCs too?

MadCatz will most likely have new sticks out when SFV hits. Everything that is now out will most likely be sold out but you should be able to get other sticks at that time. No way stick manufacturers are going to not have stock of sticks when new SF releases.

Probably because every controller should work with PC. They usually mention that they work on PC on the boxes.

How easy is it to turn a hayabusa with square gate into an octo-gate, there are no gates can buy and swap like with Sanwa sticks are there?

MRORANGE

Goddard

I have all the dimensions in a facebook chat with the creator, I'll draw it up some time this week. I have all the pieces cut but I haven't put it together yet, been sitting here for 2 years, so this serves my interest as well. It's pretty straight forward though.

Hassun

Neo Member
I would caution saying harder to access without some qualifier, since it's literally just removing a few screws. The VLX is easier to open, yes, but this is like saying component cables are harder to hook up than HDMI.
Sure it's not exactly difficult but I'd say there is a definite difference between that and the TE2/VLX style. It voids the warranty as well.

Gears

Anyone know how the new vewlix is? I'm getting back into fighters with some friends, and it would be cool to buy the premium one. Just not too well versed in the parts and such

DasRaven

Anyone know how the new vewlix is? I'm getting back into fighters with some friends, and it would be cool to buy the premium one. Just not too well versed in the parts and such

As with all things, it depends. The Hayabusa lever is the equal of the jlf/ls32. The Kuro buttons are pretty good, and the VLX gets the best ones of the factory, but most still prefer the OBS line.
The case, construction, etc are all excellent as the previous models.

It is worth noting that the Kai has the same lever and buttons and a standard plastic case for half the price.

Goddard

Swapped out the Kuro buttons with some Sanwa silent buttons. Added a JLF and a red bubbletop.

http://i.imgur.com/2UZVFBxl.jpg[/QUOTE]

I feel like it's complete sacrilege putting silent buttons in a Vewlix stick, I mean you are supposed to be emulating the arcade experience man.

Gears

As with all things, it depends. The Hayabusa lever is the equal of the jlf/ls32. The Kuro buttons are pretty good, and the VLX gets the best ones of the factory, but most still prefer the OBS line.
The case, construction, etc are all excellent as the previous models.

It is worth noting that the Kai has the same lever and buttons and a standard plastic case for half the price.
Hmm, now I'm wondering if style+better case is worth 2x the price to me haha. I know its also limited which effects the price, but I'm basically just looking for a stick that looks stylish and has decent enough parts that I wouldn't have to swap out just yet.

Skilletor

I feel like it's complete sacrilege putting silent buttons in a Vewlix stick, I mean you are supposed to be emulating the arcade experience man.

Unless you're japanese, the arcade experience is happ stick and competition buttons. :p Best part of buying a stick is making it your own.

Also, that's not a VLX.

Yes Boss!

Hmm, now I'm wondering if style+better case is worth 2x the price to me haha. I know its also limited which effects the price, but I'm basically just looking for a stick that looks stylish and has decent enough parts that I wouldn't have to swap out just yet.

To be honest stick is twice the price but the quality difference is far greater than twice as much.

Also, the Vewlix sticks are very, very big...not something you just throw around and be comfy with. You definitely need to have a big space and slightly more dedicated space as you won't be moving it nearly as much.

Gears

I've got room for it for the most part, I think I'll be ordering one in the next day or two. Is it easy to change in some art on the front? I've never looked into it before but with fallout hype I could use some pipboy going on haha

DasRaven

Is it easy to change in some art on the front?

No, not yet anyway. The stock art is a thick lami-label stuck to the metal base panel.
So far, I haven't seen anyone producing custom plexi for the VLX Kuro and most of the older vendors have closed up.

I'd love to find someone making custom panels and plexi for my own VLX Kuro.

Anyone here have experience with the game finger buttons?

Over the last few months, these buttons have become my absolute favorite.

I'm still not really a fan of the octagonal rims but the actual performance and feel of the buttons have won me over. I've been hitting the lab pretty hard in sfiv ultra and my execution is so much better when I use my stick with the gamerfingers. The stock red switches are really good so you most likely won't need to switch to any of the other switches. Paradise arcade has a really good sale price on them btw.

Also as a point of reference to see if my preference might align with yours. Gamerfinger>Seimitsu PS-14g>Sanwa. Sanwas are too sensitive to me and the PS-14g is my favorite but I execute consistently and easier on gamer fingers.

No, not yet anyway. The stock art is a thick lami-label stuck to the metal base panel.
So far, I haven't seen anyone producing custom plexi for the VLX Kuro and most of the older vendors have closed up.

Yeah, things will be interesting once people start modding their VLX's. The only thing I want to mess with is the hollowness and how it amplifies the button presses. It's so loud using a vlx!

Gears

Ah alright, thanks. Is there a confirmed-ish release date for the new ken stick? im so torn on it as ken is my main, but i feel like i would just prefer something subtle, instead of just "YO ITS KEN" on the front

Top Bottom