• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super "NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread" II TURBO

SmokeMaxX

So has anyone with a Fight Stick TE (like the original SFIV ones) re-painted the bezel surrounding the plexi? What did you use?

I did some searching on the topic, and it sounded like a lot of people said it didn't take paint very well. I'm wondering if I sanded it first with a specific grit, I would have better luck.

It's been a while since I've researched any of those kinds of mods for a stick, but I want to say people have been successful using Krylon Fusion.

gokieks

I tried Krylon Fusion. Maybe I just did it wrong, but it started peeling after a while and I eventually just completely removed the paint when I sold the stick.

hey guys, is there anyone here who has access to both the original Hori VLX and the Diamond Edition? I just wanted to know if they were basically 100% identical except for the color scheme. I guess the most important part to me is that the molds are the exactly same. The Diamond looks to be a more straight up stainless steel top panel whereas the original is more plastic. I also wanted to know if the sides could be removed for easier painting/dyeing, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

damn that was quick lol. Pictures would be much more definite. I'm guessing there will be a little difficulty in getting both of them pictured together due to their size. If you could take some snaps of them together from the top, side, and back that'd be great. Also please confirm that the material around the control panel for the original is either black plastic or metal. Could you also open them up and determine if the sides are removable? Possibly interchangeable? Thanks for your help.

Yes Boss!

damn that was quick lol. Pictures would be much more definite. I'm guessing there will be a little difficulty in getting both of them pictured together due to their size. If you could take some snaps of them together from the top, side, and back that'd be great. Also please confirm that the material around the control panel for the original is either black plastic or metal. Could you also open them up and determine if the sides are removable? Possibly interchangeable? Thanks for your help.

Here you go. Looking at both they are all identical...in every way. It is hard to see how the sides are attached in the black one but the screws and everything are in that same spot as the white. Just panel and parts are black metal in OG and Silver/White in DIA.

null_zpsac362ab1.jpg

null_zps691e00e1.jpg

null_zps4eefb0a5.jpg

null_zpsdf4bf6b9.jpg

null_zps00a8a546.jpg

null_zpsc4490eb4.jpg

null_zps0587c41e.jpg

null_zps51fe80e7.jpg

null_zps1ad717a1.jpg

null_zps177de6ea.jpg

wow I really could not have asked for better pictures. iPhone camera secret top tier? These just about answer all my questions. Thanks again for the info and providing some real eye candy for the thread. I gotta cop these!

malts

Just starting to play fighting games and thinking about getting my first stick. Any recommendations?

I've been leaning towards either the Hori FS V3 or the HRAP V3 SA Kai. Not really interested in modding a stick at all, and would prefer something without licensed art, unless maybe it's SF.

Yes Boss!

Any news on the white fighting edge?

I'm still waiting as well.

The last Hori newsletter only announced the new (japan-old) Blue version of the Mini stick for release shortly.

FInally got to play on the Fighting Edge a few weeks back (StarCreator's) and it was awesome. Incredible stick. Feels very class for the $200.

waiting for that White FE too... seems like HORI is prepping up a new wave of arcade sticks, if their recent displays at conventions is any indication. hopefully TGS finally gives us the details.

FInally got to play on the Fighting Edge a few weeks back (StarCreator's) and it was awesome. Incredible stick. Feels very class for the $200.

whhat!, a HORI stick you dont own? lol.

Yes Boss!

whhat!, a HORI stick you dont own? lol.

Sorry to disappoint. I have two of them (one PS3 and one 360)! They are just both in California. Was not gonna mail or carry them back to Germany knowing I was moving to Maryland a few months later. Plus I did not have a system to try them out on. So, they've been back there for over a year. I'll likely bring one back during Christmas when I go back...or just pick up a white one!

Shadow780

Hey guys apologize in advance if this is not the right place to ask but I ran into a problem with SFIV TE stick (360) on PC, it works fine on my desktop PC but shows up as driver not found/installed on my laptop (W7 64bit). I uninstalled the 360 controller software and reinstalled it and it still doesn't work.

The name for TE stick is "Madcatz Street Fighter IV Fightstick TE" and update the driver automatically doesn't work as well.

Anyway I can fix this?

My laptop is Sony Vaio Z 2011 model with AMD 6650M media dock.

Hey guys apologize in advance if this is not the right place to ask but I ran into a problem with SFIV TE stick (360) on PC, it works fine on my desktop PC but shows up as driver not found/installed on my laptop (W7 64bit). I uninstalled the 360 controller software and reinstalled it and it still doesn't work.

The name for TE stick is "Madcatz Street Fighter IV Fightstick TE" and update the driver automatically doesn't work as well.

Anyway I can fix this?

My laptop is Sony Vaio Z 2011 model with AMD 6650M media dock.

Is the controller at least getting recognized as plugged in by Windows or is it not even being acknowledged (as an unknown device or otherwise)? I'm sure you've already tried this but are you at least able to manually select drivers for the stick instead?

Shadow780

Is the controller at least getting recognized as plugged in by Windows or is it not even being acknowledged (as an unknown device or otherwise)? I'm sure you've already tried this but are you at least able to manually select drivers for the stick instead?

The name under device manager is "Madcatz Street Fighter IV Fightstick TE" and the driver's not installed. So I guess the PC knows what it is but just couldn't find the driver for it.

Which category should I look when manually select drivers?

The name under device manager is "Madcatz Street Fighter IV Fightstick TE" and the driver's not installed. So I guess the PC knows what it is but just couldn't find the driver for it.

Which category should I look when manually select drivers?

Right click "Computer" or "My Computer" (you can also go to the Control Panel and click "System and Security", followed by "System"). Click on "Device Manager" and locate you arcade stick (check Windows Common Controller for Window Class). Select "Update Driver Software", then select "Browse my computer for driver software". Browse for the drivers or the directory containing the drivers (can't remember which) and should be fairly smooth sailing from there.

Again, you may have already tried this so my apologies if this doesn't help you at all.

SmokeMaxX

Just starting to play fighting games and thinking about getting my first stick. Any recommendations?

I've been leaning towards either the Hori FS V3 or the HRAP V3 SA Kai. Not really interested in modding a stick at all, and would prefer something without licensed art, unless maybe it's SF.

The Kai is a lot better than the V3 (assuming you mean the small budget stick). Get the Kai.

Shadow780

Right click "Computer" or "My Computer" (you can also go to the Control Panel and click "System and Security", followed by "System"). Click on "Device Manager" and locate you arcade stick (check Windows Common Controller for Window Class). Select "Update Driver Software", then select "Browse my computer for driver software". Browse for the drivers or the directory containing the drivers (can't remember which) and should be fairly smooth sailing from there.

Again, you may have already tried this so my apologies if this doesn't help you at all.

omg this is the category I needed, thank you so much!

GeorgeC

Banned
I'm still waiting as well.

The last Hori newsletter only announced the new (japan-old) Blue version of the Mini stick for release shortly.

Hopefully, it doesn't turn out to be a phantom or prototype stick that was just cobbled with no intention of going into production.
I'd almost think they'd be better off holding off until next year and maybe something will actually be available on PS4 to make releasing a new stick worth it.
I have been skeptical about the new stick releases this year considering how close we are to new systems... but then I get reminded about how long the PS2 lasted and about the zillion fighters that hit the current-gen systems after SFIV arrived.

So how is the Fighting Edge with the new Hori parts? Does the new lever feel more like a Seimitsu model or the Sanwa? Seems like a remodelled nicer version of the HRAP V3 but I wonder if the LED really was worth it. $200 just seems high for a "regular" joystick. The HRAP VLX was worth the price Hori charged for it.

Yes Boss!

Well,

I'm a strong believer that PS360 has quite a few more years in it...especially in Japan where fighters (most) originate. Just my opinion. And I don't think arcade hardware is all of a sudden going to be based off PS4.

MarkMan seemed to insinuate back around E3 that the White Edge was coming. The original FEs recently had a reprint in JPN and they are constantly being pushed by Hori USA here in their email, website, facebook. So it is a product line Hori seems to be standing behind.

I mean, it is not like a ton of folks are rushing out to grab a $500 One and then drop a another $200 on a stick.

Fighting Edge was dope as shit. Way cooler and classier than expected. At that price point it can really only be compared to the Big Huge MC or the Qanbas. It s far better quality than those. I'm guessing the new TE for One will be similar with all the options and lighting and cool features. Stick on the FE felt like a cross between a Sanwa and Seimitsu...like right in the middle. A bit looser but nice and clicky.

Also, the WRAP is a pretty nice little stick. It is hard to convey the convenience of bluetooth. I know the scene does not like wireless but I love the option to have both in one stick. And it has dead-sexy looks with its deep black. Pictures don't show how the blue is designed to disappear as soon as you deviate from looking on 90 degrees. It is basically an all-black stick. Hopefully it gets a NA release.

bumpkin

I'm not sure if this has been answered in any detail earlier in the thread, but yeah, I'm a bit LTTP...

Anyways, I recently installed a PS360+ into my Xbox 360 Fightstick TE following a video tutorial linked from the product page on FocusAttack.com, but it seemed to have omitted a few things. Basically, anything and everything on the turbo panel on the upper left is unwired (LEDs, switches and the guide button). I don't care so much about the LEDs or switches, but the lack of a guide button is a bummer.

Bearing in mind that I'm a complete and utter newbie to stick modding, can anyone perhaps explain how I'd get that working again? I've been looking at the overview documents for the PCB, but I'm really just completely lost. :(

D3RANG3D

I got a brawlstick, and the jostick portion is a bit shit, I read on another forum that the gate is too small to register the diagonals and that is what the problem is so... do I just get a new gate or do I just replace the joystick altogether?

catabarez

I'm not sure if this has been answered in any detail earlier in the thread, but yeah, I'm a bit LTTP...

Anyways, I recently installed a PS360+ into my Xbox 360 Fightstick TE following a video tutorial linked from the product page on FocusAttack.com, but it seemed to have omitted a few things. Basically, anything and everything on the turbo panel on the upper left is unwired (LEDs, switches and the guide button). I don't care so much about the LEDs or switches, but the lack of a guide button is a bummer.

Bearing in mind that I'm a complete and utter newbie to stick modding, can anyone perhaps explain how I'd get that working again? I've been looking at the overview documents for the PCB, but I'm really just completely lost. :(

I researched this because I plan on installing. I believe some soldering may be required. I'll double check.

So I need some basic pricing advice. Bought a SF4 fightstick for 360 several years ago not long after they came out. Hardly ever used it. Been in the box the whole time.

What's it worth? Is a like new stick worth anything close to the $150 it cost new at that time? I know a ton have been sold in the last few years....

anyone here have experience with this stick?
15.jpg

I kinda wanna get one just for its pcb with wireless functions, i've heard bad things about the ps3 iteration, but not much on the 360 version. considering it's wireless sync and no dongle involved, i'm hoping its gonna be similar to wireless controllers for 360, which are decent enough.

and yeah i know it has sub-par hori parts, that's not really my concern, im more interested on the pcb itself if anything.

(and if anyone's willing to get rid of one haha :p)

GeorgeC

Banned
So I need some basic pricing advice. Bought a SF4 fightstick for 360 several years ago not long after they came out. Hardly ever used it. Been in the box the whole time.

What's it worth? Is a like new stick worth anything close to the $150 it cost new at that time? I know a ton have been sold in the last few years....

You won't get $150 when new sticks are sold for $99 or less.
Mad Catz has sales when there are tournaments which happens at least a dozen times a year. There's generally also a larger stock of Mad Catz joysticks out there than its competitors SO....!

anyone here have experience with this stick?
15.jpg

I kinda wanna get one just for its pcb with wireless functions, i've heard bad things about the ps3 iteration, but not much on the 360 version. considering it's wireless sync and no dongle involved, i'm hoping its gonna be similar to wireless controllers for 360, which are decent enough.

and yeah i know it has sub-par hori parts, that's not really my concern, im more interested on the pcb itself if anything.

(and if anyone's willing to get rid of one haha :p)

I have the Tekken 6 stick that came with the special edition of the game (other than the art, they look identical) and it's pretty good for a budget stick IMO.

The PCB itself is decent. I've had it for a few years now and haven't had any issues so far.

You won't get $150 when new sticks are sold for $99 or less.
Mad Catz has sales when there are tournaments which happens at least a dozen times a year. There's generally also a larger stock of Mad Catz joysticks out there than its competitors SO....!
Thanks. Want to put it on Craigslist and have no idea where to start pricing. I'm just going to go under $100 and lower from there if it doesn't move. Definitely one of those impulse purchases that was more cool than it was practical. I blame GAF! lol

Top Bottom