• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Direct - Oct 23(US) & Oct 24 (JP/EU)

FSLink

Banned
But Sonic already took the Sega slot for Smash. Unless Nintendo buys the Bayonetta IP from Sega, she isn't getting in.
lol "slots". I don't think she's getting in due to her niche status. But if they want her in, she'd be in, slots be damned.

Lucina's already in the game.

I'd love for Bayonetta to be in the game, but I sadly know she won't.

the chance is low I can see Nintendo not allowing Bayo to keep her related to the M rating future spin-offs or something

If she is in she could work like Kirby and use all her cosplay costumes to be sillier than the sexy side of things

Neoxon

I'll let this be known now. Do I think we'll learn of extra characters today, no. Do I think there will be DLC characters later on, hell yes.

I'd love to be proven wrong about the former, though.

They're not taking Sonic out, the backlash would be huge. Plus he was Nintendo's biggest rival in the 90's. He's much more important to Nintendo than Bayonetta.

I know, I wasn't serious, it's just something I'd like to happen for my own selfish reasons. ;-) Bayo is such a wonderful and unique character, she has so much potential for a great move list, and she's not a super serious character either, she'd fit right with the tone of the game.

A Castlevania rep would be interesting too but that series is so niche and dead, it won't happen.

Or Impa and Tingle from Zelda, but Zelda already has four slots, so I see why they didn't add any more characters from the series.

Who knows though, I think the Mario Kart DLCs show that there might be some Smash surprises in the future.

robotrock

Banned
If Sakurai really feels like Smash Bros 3DS is the fourth Smash Bros game and that Smash Bros Wii U is the fifth Smash Bros game, why is it called "Super Smash Bros. for Wii U" ?? Shouldn't it be "Super Smash Bros Five Wii U?" Maybe the name change is going to get announced today.

Hmm time for bed I think so I can get a full nights rest and still get up to watch this.

Enjoy the hype train while I sleep everyone ;)

Zalman

If Sakurai really feels like Smash Bros 3DS is the fourth Smash Bros game and that Smash Bros Wii U is the fifth Smash Bros game, why is it called "Super Smash Bros. for Wii U" ?? Shouldn't it be "Super Smash Bros Five Wii U?" Maybe the name change is going to get announced today.
lol

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

So people don't think it is for the Wii.

I don't get why they didn't just go with Super Smash Bros 3D(S) and Super Smash Bros U.

Kandinsky

This is from the Spanish facebook of Smash:

FWoPIyY.jpg

I wonder if that will be subtitled, hmm.

I'm excited to see some new retro levels.

Pirate Ship, Luigi's Mansion, Lylat Cruise and Island Delfino please

I also want Corneria, Brinstar and Distant Planet, but I doubt they'll be in because they're on the 3DS

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If this is coming to be between Sonic and Bayonetta, kill Sonic with fire, it has become an irrelevant character in today's gaming world. And it has been toxic for Wii U until now. Nintendo is funding and publishing Bayonetta 2 tonight, it would make so much sense to have Bayo in SSB 4 to help promote the game they spent money on. Any publisher would have been done that, but this is Nintendo who takes decision based on their own standards rather than economical sense.

And to say that a character that is normally running is better than a character that is normally fighting majestically for a game like SSB it's crazy.

I know, I wasn't serious, it's just something I'd like to happen for my own selfish reasons. ;-) Bayo is such a wonderful and unique character, she has so much potential for a great move list, and she's not a super serious character either, she'd fit right with the tone of the game.

A Castlevania rep would be interesting too but that series is so niche and dead, it won't happen.

Or Impa and Tingle from Zelda, but Zelda already has four slots, so I see why they didn't add any more characters from the series.

Who knows though, I think the Mario Kart DLCs show that there might be some Smash surprises in the future.

Lords of Shadow did very well and all of the GBA games have recently released on the Wii U VC, so I'd say it isn't anywhere near dead. Hell, much less dead than Pac-Man, Mega Man, Pikmin and a handful of other franchises represented in Smash.

If this is coming to be between Sonic and Bayonetta, kill Sonic with fire, it has become an irrelevant character in today's gaming world. And it has been toxic for Wii U until now. Nintendo is funding and publishing Bayonetta 2 tonight, it would make so much sense to have Bayo in SSB 4 to help promote the game they spent money on. Any publisher would have been done that, but this is Nintendo who takes decision based on their own standards rather than economical sense.

And to say that a character that is normally running is better than a character that is normally fighting majestically for a game like SSB it's crazy.

I thought Sonic games still sold well? I know they aren't exactly top of the line quality, but i figured they are still making them for a reason. The hype for Sonic in brawl was insane. He's a gaming icon and is largely recognized. Wouldn't really say he's irrelevant.

For past stages, I really just want Fountain of Dreams but considering how Sakurai said its much harder to bring back things that weren't in Brawl doesn't give me much hope.

How long will this be? I get out of work exactly at 6pm EST and I'm pretty sure I don't want to kill someone on my race to home today.

Neoxon

If this is coming to be between Sonic and Bayonetta, kill Sonic with fire, it has become an irrelevant character in today's gaming world. And it has been toxic for Wii U until now. Nintendo is funding and publishing Bayonetta 2 tonight, it would make so much sense to have Bayo in SSB 4 to help promote the game they spent money on. Any publisher would have been done that, but this is Nintendo who takes decision bcased on their own standards rather than economical sense.

But Sonic is still a bigger character than Bayonetta, as awesome as she is. Sonic is pretty much known as Mario's rival, & maintains quite a bit of popularity today. It isn't completely about advertising, it's also about legacy. Like I said, the backlash of Sonic's removal would be nuclear compared to Snake's.

emb

I'm actually really glad Nintendo considers legacy in about equal parts to advertising benefit. It was really obnoxious in PS All Stars to see characters just because they were current. Smash isn't free of it, but it's not blatant aside from maybe (FE) Roy.

Bayo might push the ESRB rating up which is a no go.

emb

Sorry to interrupt your hype but... I don't like this. I was seriously hoping for a big direct covering all games and not only one. :/
That's fair. I kinda wanted that too.

This will be cool and I'm excited for it... but it's not like they can reveal more characters. We already know everything meaningful about this game. Stages and single player modes aren't the most exciting things in the world.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Bayo might push the ESRB rating up which is a no go.

Could be a DLC.

And I don't want Sonic out, I don't think it should be between Sonic and Bayonetta 2, they could be both in it. I just find it strange to put Sonic on a pedestal.

Sonic was Mario's rival 20 years ago. We'll see next year or whenever a new Sonic game will be multiplat how popular he is. And not the racing one.

I'm even curious how many of those supporting Sonic here even bought Sonic Lost World or will buy Sonic Boom.

We don't know yet. It'll most likely be somewhere between 15-30mn. That's my guess anyway.

Ah, I figured as much. Thanks. Maybe I can leave work early, haha.

Could be a DLC.

And I don't want Sonic out, I don't think it should be between Sonic and Bayonetta 2, they could be both in it. I just find it strange to put Sonic on a pedestal.

Sonic was Mario's rival 20 years ago. We'll see next year or whenever a new Sonic game will be multiplat how popular he is. And not the racing one.

I'm even curious how many of those supporting Sonic here even bought Sonic Lost World or will buy Sonic Boom.

Sonic's pretty iconic, brother. I'm not sure if it's a case of putting Sonic on a pedestal than it is a clash of popular gaming heads in the past and who better to go against Mario than Sonic? I'm pretty sure that if you had told an eight year old me there would be an actual game where Sonic would go head to head with Mario, I would have lost my shit.

That's fair. I kinda wanted that too.

This will be cool and I'm excited for it... but it's not like they can reveal more characters. We already know everything meaningful about this game. Stages and single player modes aren't the most exciting things in the world.

Yeah I agree and besides of that,I'm not into Smash Bros so the direct has no meaning to me.

They've done game specific Directs for ages now.

Yup, that's why I really want a big direct really badly. The last one was in february if you don't count the E3.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Sonic's pretty iconic, brother. I'm not sure if it's a case of putting Sonic on a pedestal than it is a clash of popular gaming heads in the past and who better to go against Mario than Sonic? I'm pretty sure that if you had told an eight year old me there would be an actual game where Sonic would go head to head with Mario, I would have lost my shit.

Yeah. While you grew up they become friends and start competing in the olympics. But even that got old and people didn't want to pay anymore tickets to see Sonic race Mario. Sonic is not that fast anymore and his agent doesn't really know what to do with him., Mario is aging better though.

Edit: Both know how to race in a car/kart/plane/boat better than James Bond though.

emb

Yeah I agree and besides of that,I'm not into Smash Bros so the direct has no meaning to me.
Well I'm the opposite of you there. So at least for me, this Direct does focus on an exciting game.

That's often an issue with Nintendo lately. Like right now, if you don't care about Smash or Captain Toad, there are no Wii U games to look forward to this year. Next holiday if you don't care about Zelda or Xenoblade, there's probably going to be nothing exciting going on.

Jawmuncher

Dear Nintendo,

Please make this Nintendo Direct worthwhile since I will be watching it after a long day of work. I would like snake but if that's not possible at least something very surprising.

Sincerely, Jawmuncher

-------

Also I felt the backlash for snakes cut was pretty big. Yet here we are.

Heartfyre

Sorry to interrupt your hype but... I don't like this. I was seriously hoping for a big direct covering all games and not only one. :/

It's definitely been a while since there's been a normal Direct, but I guess Nintendo have had no new games to announce yet. I wouldn't worry about getting another DIrect eventually. Maybe before the year is out, since December is a popular announcements-month.

emb

Dear Nintendo,

Please make this Nintendo Direct worthwhile since I will be watching it after a long day of work. I would like snake but if that's not possible at least something very surprising.

Sincerely, Jawmuncher
Obviously Realllly from Nintendo said:
Hello Jawmuncher,

Thanks for contacting us! After reading your letter, we've decided to put Snake into Super Smash Bros. for Wii U as a playable character. Unfortunately, we are not able to control what information is in the Nintendo Direct. As a result, Snake will not be shown. We also have no official details to provide on your day at work.

Remember, you can keep up with the latest information on nintendo.com. Please feel free to respond with any additional questions.

Thanks,

Nintendo

BigFwoosh

Dear Nintendo,

Sincerely, Jawmuncher

-------

Also I felt the backlash for snakes cut was pretty big. Yet here we are.

It's cool, Snake will be announced in the Direct today.

It's good to have dreams =(

Lunar15

Guys, we're dealing with a team that thinks Duck Hunt is a spoiler at this point. You're not getting any new characters tonight.

Maybe they'll start entertaining the concept of DLC, but I kind of doubt that they'd begin that conversation at this stage.

Top Bottom