• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryce

I assume it's due to the seemingly out of place, single Wario Land reference in a Wario Ware-based Wario. It's... honestly pretty understandable. Would've preferred for it to be kept, though.
But the replacement isn't from WarioWare either. There just wasn't any reason to change it.

georly

Noted! Maybe I'm just bad at arrows, lol.

Arrows take time to learn, but having played link nonstop every smash, I'm a beast at timing arrows/bombs/boomerangs. Definitely takes time to learn them properly, but once you get them, they're great at keeping people away and off stage.

The game's barely been out, so first impressions of any character could be completely off. Zelda has 100% been buffed though, through her up special now being a great KO and approach move, as well as the new ledge mechanics.

The new ledge mechanics make characters with slower, predictable recoveries more viable than ever. It previously was the primary reason a lot of characters used to be bad. I'm so glad it's better now.

FSLink

Banned
He'd be a lot better if the dodge roll wasn't insanely spammable and REALLY safe. The air dodge being spammable sucks too, but you can catch them on landing lag sometimes.

Yeah, it's why I think the metal blade/crash bomb mindgames are useful, making people shield roll at the wrong time or get afraid of their shield breaking, then go in for the approach. They're not the greatest special moves, but I use them a lot in neutral to set them up for fair/bair.

Kriken

Noted! Maybe I'm just bad at arrows, lol.

Like I said, arrows are a timing thing, and outside of that instance, I only use them in purely zoning situations (As in "STAY AWAY FROM ME, I DON'T WANT TO FIGHT"). I've also found a few fun instances where I can use the boomerang as a setup for F-Smash, but I haven't gotten it often

Magicant is so cool.

I saw Maximillion play a bit and that stage came up with a few scenes from Mother 1 and 2, I loved seeing that

I assume it's due to the seemingly out of place, single Wario Land reference in a Wario Ware-based Wario. It's... honestly pretty understandable. Would've preferred for it to be kept, though.
The Wario Ware games reference the Land series all the time though; I really don't see why the character can't have moves that reference both sides of his franchise.

They didn't take out Prime references because Other M ignores that trilogy or arcade references when it's the DKC DK, so it seems all the weirder how selective Wario's representation is.

So what I'm reading is some of you haven't played Mother 3. You should fix that as soon as possible. You've got time before October 3rd.
Is there anyway I can get a Japanese copy and hack the English patch into and play on a DS Lite or something? Don't know much about that sorta thing, but want to know because I want to get around to Mother 3 sometime. Don't want to have to play on a computer.

Moonlight

Banned
Man, these cape reads are gorgeous.

Arrows take time to learn, but having played link nonstop every smash, I'm a beast at timing arrows/bombs/boomerangs. Definitely takes time to learn them properly, but once you get them, they're great at keeping people away and off stage.
I've never seriously played an item-using character (like bombs or turnips), so bombs are like this whole new frontier I have no idea how to approach, haha.

clearly the shoulder bash is gone because wario land wario will be dlc

it was a really weird choice to remove it because his new side smash is functionally similar

Does anyone know how the Smash competitive scene currently handles stage legality in tournaments? Do they still do the whole Starter vs. Counterpick vs. Banned stages setup or do they just go with Legal vs. Not Legal now?

Kinsei

Banned
Is there anyway I can get a Japanese copy and hack the English patch into and play on a DS Lite or something? Don't know much about that sorta thing, but want to know because I want to get around to Mother 3 sometime. Don't want to have to play on a computer.

Yes. You'll need a Mather 3 cart, a flash cart, and a tri-wing screwdriver.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member

I think you can put the Mother 3 rom into a homebrew GBA cartrige, but modifying the Mother 3 Japanese one sounds almost impossible.

ijSsaTyWZ8kjX.gif

I just find it funny how PacMan crawls :lol

Tan

Would people prefer Wario to be based on primarily Wario Land or keep him as is?

He was more of a defined character in Wario Land and I prefer his money-bag persona to just being some lazy crazy guy who plays mini games. So yes, shoulder charges all day please.

Zubz

Banned
Would people prefer Wario to be based on primarily Wario Land or keep him as is?

Honestly? Wario Land Wario, and I like using his current moveset. Wario Land Wario'd have a cool moveset about he sustains otherwise-lethal damage to better his own abilities, as well as a lot of bashing, punching, and maybe the hats from Wario Land 1. The Wario we have only has one move and a Final Smash based on WarioWare; everything else is "Hey, look at how gross this guy is!" Any awkward, disgusting man of Wario's stature could be in that slot and no one'd notice. Honestly, it's a bigger problem than Ganondorf being a Sentai hero instead of a sword-wielding wizard, and that's a pretty big problem! Especially because his moveset should be given to Black Shadow.

ijSsaTyWZ8kjX.gif

I just find it funny how PacMan crawls :lol

I love everything about his animations.

Tenck

I would like to hear some more impressions on samus. Almost no one is playing her on the streams =( Does her f-air have long landing lag and how is her new neutral air?

It's been years since I last played brawl unfortunately so I can't compare right now. But she's really good right now. My win percentage went up 3 percent right now lol.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Most of my fondest Wario memories is WarioWare, so I'm fine as he is. I'd actually love to see that Wario appear more in the Mario spin-offs, atleast Kart.

Although to be fair Wario was probably added to WW in the first place for brand recognition to help sell such a quirky game. So it's not surprise his character is different from classic Wario.

PKrockin

Man. I don't know if you guys are watching this tournament but Smash 4 is hype. Way more fun to watch than Brawl.

twitch.tv/clashtournaments

That set was amazing. Sad that Mario didn't advance, but Chibo's ROB looked amazing. Those were some vicious edgeguards.

That was easily the best set of matches I've seen from Smash 4 yet. Constant offense and those goddamn laser reflections. Custom moves are looking so good at the moment.

Does anyone know how the Smash competitive scene currently handles stage legality in tournaments? Do they still do the whole Starter vs. Counterpick vs. Banned stages setup or do they just go with Legal vs. Not Legal now?

It seems like they're just doing Battlefield, Final Destination, and Yoshi's Island for now.

Gleethor

Battlefield
-SSB4 Main Theme (New)
-SSBM Menu Theme (Brawl)

Final Destination
-SSB4 Theme Arrangement 1 (New)
-FUCKING INCREDIBLE MELEE THEME (NEW)

3D Land
-3D Land Main Theme/Beach Theme (New)
-SMB3 Medley (New)

Rainbow Road
-Rainbow Road Handheld Medley (New)
-Rainbow Road MK7 (Original)

Golden Plains
-NSMB Athletic Theme (New)
-SMB Medley (New)

Paper Mario
-Try Try Again (New)
-Paper Mario Medley (New)

Mushroomy Kingdom (Brawl)
-SMB Ground Theme (Brawl)
-SMB Underground Theme (Brawl)

Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
-Obstacle Course (Brawl)
-Yoshi's Story Ending (Brawl)

Jungle Japes (Melee)
-Kongo Jungle (Smash 64)
-Gear Getaway (New)

Gameboy Dreamland
-Kirby's Dreamland Medley (Original*)
-Green Greens Ver. 2 (New)

Magicant
-Eight Melodies (New)
-Smiles and Tears (New)

Mute City
-Mute City Theme (New)
-Mute City Theme SNES (Original)

Corneria (Melee)
-Corneria (Melee)
-Star Wolf/Sector Z (New)

Brinstar (Melee)
-Brinstar (Melee)
-Brinstar Depths (Melee)

Prism Tower
-X&Y Trainer Battle (New)
-Lumiose City (Original)

Unova Pokemon League
-N's Castle (New)
-Vs Reshiram/Zekrom (New)

Gerudo Valley
-Gerudo Valley Theme (New)
-Ocarina of Time Medley (Brawl)

Spirit Train
-Full Steam Ahead (New)
-LoZ Medley (New)

Arena Ferox
-Id/Purpose (Original)
-Together We Ride (Melee)

Flat Zone 2 (Brawl)
-Flat Zone 2 (Brawl)
-Flat Zone (Melee)

Reset Bomb Forest
-Wrath of The Reset Bomb (New)
-Dark Pit's Theme (Original)

Distant Planet (Brawl)
-Pikmin Title Theme (Original)
-World Map Theme (New)

Warioware Inc. (Brawl)
-Warioware Inc. (Brawl)
-Ashley's Theme (Brawl)

Green Hill Zone (Brawl)
-Green Hill Zone (Original)
-Live and Learn (Original)

Tortimer Island
-Island Day/Minigame Theme (New)
-Kapp'n Song (New)

Wily Castle
-Mega Man 2 Medley (New)
-Mega Man 2 Stage Medley (Original*)

Boxing Ring
-Running/Countdown Medley (New)
-Punch Out! Wii Minor Circuit (Original)

Pac-Maze
-Pac-Man Club Mix (New)
-Pac-Man Medley (New)

Gaur Plain
-And You Will Know Our Names (Original)
-Gaur Plain Theme (Original)

Pictochat 2
-Pictochat (Brawl)
-Dr. Mario Fever (Melee)

Find Mii
-Find Mii Final Boss (New)
-Find Mii 2: Save The World Heroes! (New)

Living Room
-Bath Time Theme Vocal Mix (New)
-Bath Time Theme Non-Vocal Mix (New)

Balloon Fight
-Balloon Fight Theme (New)
-Balloon Trip Theme (New)

Tomodachi Life
-Tomodachi Life (New)
-Mii Channel (New)

BONUS SONGS!
-8 Bit Main Theme (New)
-Area 6/Missile Slipstream (New)
-Mysterious Castle Murasame Medley (New)
-Air Man (New)
-Spark Man (New)
-Link to The Past Dark World/Dark Palace (New)
-Skyward Sword Ballad of The Goddess/Ghirahim Theme (New)
-Pac-Man Park (New)
-Inside The Space-Pirate Ship (New)
-Rainbow Cruise (Melee)
-Wrath of The Reset Bomb (Original)
[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaFOMa00bCg&list=UU4hEVD_KqNx8ZeAMV1PsHVg"]-Dark Pit (Original)

-KI Uprising Boss Battle 1 (Original)
[/URL]-With Mila's Divine Protection (Brawl)
-The Legendary Air Ride Machine (Brawl)
-Bramble Blast (Brawl)
-Temple (Melee)
-Tetris Type A (Brawl)
-Mechanical Rhythm (Original)

(Nearly) complete list of music w/ links.

Kinsei

Banned
Is there a secret to using Mega Man's down smash? As far as I can tell it's completely useless.

That's the one move of his that I haven't found a use for. I thought it might block projectiles, but that doesn't seem to be the case (Unless I got the timing wrong)..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom