• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

deeTyrant

Kaban

Ice Climbers were my mains :( As much as I enjoy having a portable version of Smash, it really bothers me that it held back the overall roster

PKrockin

But that would have made one version possibly more appealing than the other to some people, and Sakurai didn't want that, obviously.
I'm guessing they didn't want to go through all the work of including the Ice Climbers if they could only be in one version of the game.

Cody_D165

Banned
So, Duck Hunt will have another installment soon!?

I know you're joking but I'm still absolutely fucking baffled at the fact that we went the entire lifespan of the Wii console without a Duck Hunt reboot. Back before the Wii was even released I was imagining the possibilities of playing VC Duck Hunt with the Wii Remote or anticipating a remake or something.

And all we got was a minigame in Wii Play.

i have to admit that if the ice climbers were fully functional in the wii u version but cut in the end because "think of the 3ds owners!" i'm gonna be salty for the first time over a smash roster

if it's physically impossible on the 3ds, having them on wii u is really no loss to 3ds owners. i can't think of a reason why they couldn't do this because it's not like there's crossplay or anything.

i'm aware that they could've decided it's not worth development time to work on a character only functional in one version, but i get the impression that decent headway was already made from that quote.

daydream

Banned
i have to admit that if the ice climbers were fully functional in the wii u version but cut in the end because "think of the 3ds owners!" i'm gonna be salty for the first time over a smash roster

if it's physically impossible on the 3ds, having them on wii u is really no loss to 3ds owners. i can't think of a reason why they couldn't do this because it's not like there's crossplay or anything.

Amiibos could be a reason, albeit not a good one.

georly

i'm aware that they could've decided it's not worth development time to work on a character only functional in one version, but i get the impression that decent headway was already made from that quote.

Yeah, i'm pretty upset that the 3DS is the only reason ice climbers aren't in. Ugh. Character parity isn't THAT important :/

Just make them Wii U DLC. :( :( :( :(

Amiibos could be a reason, albeit not a good one.

I wonder how early in development the amiibos were even a thing. No way it was at the very start, no? I bet ice climbers were cut before Amiibos were even considered, but who am I to guess? :/

Growlie19

Oof. I was never good with the Ice Climbers, but they were so much fun to play as. It's sad to see them go, but it was nice of Sakurai to officially tell us. RIP, Nana and Popo. May you continue to climb mountains until next time. ;_;

Axass

*RAGE*

With what he said he's basically completely ruling them out, even for DLC.

Screw roster parity, give us the Ice Climbers.

BTW the fact they were working on Wii U finally addresses the inclusion of the Polar Bears. Guess what else is in Smash Run? Freakin' Sneaky Spirits.

I'm beginning to fear Chorus Kids were developed and then cut due to the same roster parity reason. In fact they could've worked similarly to the IC.

Kinsei

Banned
But that would have made one version possibly more appealing than the other to some people, and Sakurai didn't want that, obviously.

Doesn't the price gap already do that? The 3DS version is more appealing to a lot of people because it's cheaper. Outside of being a hardcore Smash fan, what reason is there for buying the Wii U version?

daydream

Banned
uhhh

give them an ice climber hood mii accessory for their troubles

i just want my icies back :(

I just don't want to pronounce them dead for realsies. :( Sakurai needs to direct a new Ice Climber to make up for this bestiality.

I wonder how early in development the amiibos were even a thing. No way it was at the very start, no? I bet ice climbers were cut before Amiibos were even considered, but who am I to guess? :/

Yeah, I was just trying to make sense of the parity thing but I guess there's no understanding something that's potentially 100% idealist thinking.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I thought people were glad both versions had the same roster?

I distinctly remember a few days ago even when we were discussing exclusive Wii U characters that most people found that to be a dumb idea.

Mr. Fix

Wouldn't this mean that there has been some work done for the Ice Climbers? I mean they're probably just sitting there waiting to be DLC.

dat bramble blast in smash 3ds
cVNFCJV.png

only 2 DK tracks tho?
cb3tvt2.png

Wouldn't this mean that there has been some work done for the Ice Climbers? I mean they're probably just sitting there waiting to be DLC.

Probably. That's probably why they have two trophies and a Smash Run enemy. Something similar probably happened to the Chorus Kids

Game Guru

No. They're just an alt color in all stars. Everyone except bowser jr apparently. I played everyone as default color.

This is because Bowser Jr. doesn't have alt colors, just the Koopalings, who each have their own obtainable trophy if the leaks are any indication.

Off-topic spoilers about Mother 3 and EarthBound and Mother

Since Itoi feels that Flint being Ness is a valid interpretation, does this mean Hinawa is Paula? It makes a ton of sense, considering that she displays psychic powers. Further, Ness' Mom bears a resemblance to Ana from Mother 1, and Itoi has said that Ninten being Ness' Dad is a valid spoiler. Which means that every Mother game would be the next generation of heroes, fighting the same evils that their parents fought. Now Lucas just has to start dating Kumatora!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Wishie washie wishie.

I mean I'm getting both versions so I don't care either way, but when I saw people suggest the 3DS and Wii U Versions could have different rosters (when the games were first revealed and we knew nothing about it), a lot of people seemed to dislike that idea and said it wouldn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom