• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBoss

I'm trying to help out people in the Hyrule Warriors OT with their avatars.
I made the images transparent and they work when put in a post.
But when added as a avatar they add the white background.

How can I fix this?
Since were always messing with avatars and it's nintendo related figured I'd ask here.
Tell them to save it and then upload it directly from the computer.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Amazing LOL, invulnerability in some taunts or what?
Sonic was to fast so he dodged it the Flash style..

Also yeees! fan art!

I think Mac was just too far. You have to be pretty close in my experience.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I'm really hoping it's because the taunt has some invincibility frames and not because of the KO punch possibly having a janky hitbox or something like that.

Someone test that out.

Well it's his K.O. move where he uppercuts you in the chin. If you just graze the chin then they won't get knocked out. Haven't you watched Hajime no Ippo.

AdaWong

There are three types of animators for Smash 3DS:

Type 1: Animates so beautifully, check how Plautena's hair moves. It's so smooth looking. Almost hard to believe it is all animated and it doesn't have hair physiques. Link's hat is great-looking too.

Type 2: Animates mediocrely, this type of animator gave up on the job halfway through. Look at Marth's cape, in some moves it looks polished and some other moves it looks like a piece of cardboard. Check Zelda's dress and hair where it moves when she's walking but literally doesn't flinch when she does anything else.

Type 3: Doesn't even bother. Look at Peach and Rosalina's hair, even a piece of concrete flows more.

Thankfully, the Wii U version has physiques for all things mentioned above.

I've heard next to nothing about custom equipment since the game came out. Has anyone gotten the chance to try it out? What sort of stuff have you unlocked? Does it make a dramatic change in how a character feels, or are the differences only minor?

Nope, he still does the animation as if he's pulled it off lol.

hhh-blooper-o.gif

The whole "Down DI" thing D1 & a few others have been talking about the past few days is explained by Strong Bad here: http://smashboards.com/threads/vectoring-the-replacement-to-directional-influence-in-smash-4.368780/

Note: It's not DI anymore, it's a completely new mechanic at work here.

Was just looking at it. The fact that it is sounding like it is going to turn the game back into "you only get one hit on your opponent, reset to neutral" like Brawl greatly hurts my interest in the game.

DaBoss

The whole "Down DI" thing D1 & a few others have been talking about the past few days is explained by Strong Bad here: http://smashboards.com/threads/vectoring-the-replacement-to-directional-influence-in-smash-4.368780/

This will be much easier to do than DI.

This is an interesting change, but it does mean now people will be able to survive longer now that we know how to do it. I wonder how big of a difference it will make.

I guess we'll see in the coming days.

JoeInky

That doesn't sound too good if you can basically increase your knockback, any characters that had combos that were pretty tight won't be able to do them if people do this properly.

I guess that means goodbye to Ness' DThrow into Fair, that's already a pretty tight window and if someone can just hold away to not get hit by the Fair...

....the amount that you can do that better be pretty tiny, or it's going to be really crummy when even a fully fresh up-smash is treated like a double-stale one

Cody_D165

Banned

Note: It's not DI, it's a completely new mechanic at work here.

Interesting. Not sure I like the term "vectoring." Someone suggested "Knockback Influence," I think I'd prefer if it were called that. Of course the name isn't really important, though.

I think 2-stock will become the future, so this will likely lend itself as evidence toward moving to that ruleset.

DaBoss

I believe this vector's strength is a percentage of the knockback you're suffering, so it's less powerful at low percents/when hit by weak attacks and more powerful at higher percents/when hit by powerful attacks.
Hope this can be confirmed.

It would mean combos at low percents should be somewhat safe even with this knowledge.
Interesting. Not sure I like the term "vectoring." Someone suggested "Knockback Influence," I think I'd prefer if it were called that. Of course the name isn't really important, though.

I think 2-stock will become the future, so this will likely lend itself as evidence toward moving to that ruleset.
KBI would be much more inline with previous terms and has a better acronym.

But Vectors is a very good term for this cause that's what it basically is.

Let me know if I understand this correctly:

1. I'f I'm hit with a move that has a hypothetical upward knockback value of 100, and I hold down with a hypothetical vector value of 20, the total upward knockback would be 80 (100-20).

2. If I suffer a horizontal knockback of 100 straight to the right, and I hold straight left with a vector of 20, the knockback would also be 80.

3. Inputting diagonals will vector equally in two directions.

Is that correct?

StayDead

Well either get rid of it or halve the blast zone sizes. Matches don't need to be extended any further.

When two good players play each other the matches are honestly not that long. It's just where you spend 50% of your time on 1 stock in 2 stock they don''t chase off stage as it can throw the game away.

DaBoss

1. I'f I'm hit with a move that has a hypothetical upward knockback value of 100, and I hold down with a hypothetical vector value of 20, the total upward knockback would be 80 (100-20).

2. If I suffer a horizontal knockback of 100 straight to the right, and I hold straight left with a vector of 20, the knockback would also be 80.

Is that correct?
Yes.

Ahnez

Is that correct?
Yes, but I think inputting diagonally adds up the same 20 vector, so it would add 10* 2^0.5 diagonally and horizontally

man, can't we go one game without having one intentional feature that causes people to laugh you out of the conversation when you mention that game is your favorite in the series?
goddamn, Smash 4 is gonna be my favorite in the series either way, but I'd like to be able to talk about it while not having the recipients respect for me drop 100%

Yes, but I think inputting diagonally adds up the same 20 vector, so it would add 10* 2^0.5 diagonally and horizontally

Thanks.

So what i'm getting is that DI in previous games influences the angle of launch, but not knockback, and Vectoring influences knockback (by increasing or reducing it), but not the angle of launch. That in mind, is it fair to say that, 1. when escaping combos in Smash 4, the player should vector in the direction of the knockback, and 2. when avoiding death, the player should always vector in the opposite direction of the knockback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom