• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

zruben

Banned
Damn, I hate all metal characters in classic mode, and WTF is metal R.O.B.? It's already made by metal!

no man, he is made of Nintendium.
195gjs656pbznjpg.jpg

so, metal ROB is a downgrade.

The easy way is that each character is unlocked after 10 multiplayer matches after the last.

For ganondorf I beat classic mode w/ Link FIRST, which gave me falco, not ganondorf. Once I beat it w/ zelda it gave me ganondorf. This could be because I met two requirements at once w/ beating it w/ link first, but who knows.
Apparently the battle with the secret character also counts as multiplayer match, but throwing the secret character match is probably no faster until all are unlocked is no faster. Though if you do that:

In Smash Bros when you hit multiple requirements usually the highest one has priority. Given the vs. matches I'd have thought Falco was low priority.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
And Dark Pit can use his staff as his final smash! Everyone wins.

Everyone loses. Since the staff is a dark cop out version of the Light Arrow. And Ganny's custom is still a awkward Warlock Punch that gives slight range for less damage.

Yeah, that should ease up the wait. This weekend will go by quickly, though I'm not sure if HW will have much replay value beyond that.

Adventure mode will take a while. Increase Adventure mode by x3 when all the DLC for it comes out.

Molemitts

Ganondorf never used his sword as a weapon in an actual Zelda game before Melee, but he does as the final boss in Twilight Princess (Which was a really awesome boss battle, btw) It makes sense for him to use it now.

I think Ganon would actually be an interesting character, not as a final smash transformation. Could be based off of ALTTP, instead of Twilight Princess'/Ocarina of Time's Ganon.

Golnei

Also his intro should involve him playing an organ on wheel being pushed by two Re-deads.

Actually, the organ would fit fairly well as a victory pose; especially if he were to get his own fanfare. Other characters pull out things ranging from bugs to Chrom and Doc Louis in their victory poses, so an organ shouldn't be that strange.

emb

Adventure mode will take a while. Increase Adventure mode by x3 when all the DLC for it comes out.
Not sure about the replay value, but it does seem like there's a lot of content as-is.
Nice to hear that there's a lot of stuff. For one, I just plain forgot about Adventure mode (that's the one with the LoZ1-looking grid map, right?). And I've just kinda assumed that the game will take 8-15 hours to go through the main campaign in co-op. I don't actually know a ton about it. I quit following it closely when it released in Japan, to avoid spoilers. The big gap has kinda dialed down the hype for me. Still really looking forward to it.

Durden77

Ganondorf's sword is still the best unusable weapon.

Lol I forgot the Melee challenger warning had him with a big ass sword. What the hell.

Sakurai's reasoning for DK, Diddy, Bowser and the like still sounding like animals is so sound. "It makes more sense."

Yet Bowser Jr. doesn't sound like an animal (I don't think, haven't heard him too clearly yet) and happens to be a new character too. Sakurai logic, how does it work?

Lol I forgot the Melee challenger warning had him with a big ass sword. What the hell.

Sakurai's reasoning for DK, Diddy, Bowser and the like still sounding like animals is so sound. "It makes more sense."

Yet Bowser Jr. doesn't sound like an animal (I don't think, haven't heard him too clearly yet) and happens to be a new character too. Sakurai logic, how does it work?

I don't remember Bowser Jr. ever sounding like an animal in any other game; he always sounded like a whiny kid, so it makes sense to keep him that way in Smash. Those other characters, by contrast, have all sounded like animals in at least some of their games.

Josephl64

Are most of you people who have the JP version living in Japan or have you imported because you simply cannot wait?

I'm only a casual Smash Bros. fan, but I'm pretty hyped for this game - I think I'm gonna get both versions.

In preparation, I've been playing Brawl and getting the Final Smash trophies. That, and this thread, has me pretty jazzed for Super Smash Bros. for 3DS / Wii U.

I imported, but I would have done so anyways as I only have JP 3DS'

LtOrange

How difficult is this game for someone who is not very good at fighting games? I have not played the series in a very long time and just mashed buttons when I did play. I don't have access to my 3DS and won't be able to try out the demo until after release.

Berordn

Yeah, Bowser's voice sounds pretty similar to his voice throughout the N64 era where it was mainly collections of growls and screeches, so those were the most recent games to draw from for Melee and it's just stuck with him ever since.

Bowser Jr.'s had the same voice since inception, so he gets that one instead.

emb

How difficult is this game for someone who is not very good at fighting games? I have not played the series in a very long time and just mashed buttons when I did play. I don't have access to my 3DS and won't be able to try out the demo until after release.
The great thing about this whole series is that the controls are very simple. For the most part, you use one of the two attack buttons + a direction to do different moves. There's a button to jump, a button to block, and a button to grab. I think it's pretty intuitive!

Like with anything though, it will be very difficult if you're playing against other people who know what they're doing. Many of the game's modes shift focus away from direct competition, so don't worry too much if normal fighting game style duels aren't your thing.

iirate

The weirdest thing to me is the robot noises Samus still makes.

Durden77

I don't remember Bowser Jr. ever sounding like an animal in any other game; he always sounded like a whiny kid, so it makes sense to keep him that way in Smash. Those other characters, by contrast, have all sounded like animals in at least some of their games.

Hmmm Bowser did sound that way for a while, but only during the N64 days. And DK only sounded kind of similar to an actual ape in MK64 if I'm remembering all this correctly.

I guess Bowser Jr. kind of gets a pass, but it still doesn't make more sense in the slightest. It might've made sense in Brawl, but considering this game's aesthetic and especially Bowser's changes, it's a weird contrast.

Zubz

Banned

It's been so long I thought that Challenger Approaching screen from Melee was fake for a second. That sword really is a huge tease. Glad it's a custom option, but functionally, it's still a Falcon Punch.

And yeah, that kinda bugs me. I was excited when I heard the now-false information that Bowser would have his normal guttural laughs and everything; Bowser's not an animal, he's a pompous king with a lot of power behind him. The voice he has now is perfect. And similarly, I liked DK's old Grant Kirkhope voice too, and the character's evolved now to the point that it seems wrong to not at least give him his Scooby Doo voice from the newer games. If we do end up getting Dixie, I wonder how she'll sound. Diddy doesn't sound too bad himself (His voice sounds like his in-game voice), so I feel Dixie'll sound right, too.

He also mentions Dedede, so I guess that means we'll never get to hear him yell about clobberin' dat dere Kirby.
Calling a "Sakurai Bias" claim now.

The thing that bugs me most from that Famitsu interview was that they can't port from Melee. They at least have the groundwork for Mewtwo already laid out from Melee, and we got Dr. Mario back, too; he may have been the easiest clone, sharing a model, but it shouldn't be that hard to bring back Pichu or Roy, and Mewtwo's still a crucial character. Just make Young Link a Toon Link alt and give us back the Brawl cuts (I'd say Lucas would be the most important out of bias, but I'm still pissed the Ice Climbers are not in either game despite the Wii U running them without incident. But the others are important, too, especially the non-Pokemon ones, coming from a guy who casually played Ivysaur).

http://metro.co.uk/2014/09/20/how-the-smash-bros-demo-put-me-off-nintendo-readers-feature-4875739/

A reader has a rather extreme reaction to the problems of obtaining an early download code for Super Smash Bros. on 3DS.

With the recent demo handout for Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo 3DS I wanted to write about how I felt in response to it.

I had walked into Target to see my friend working there. After greeting for a bit, he starts telling me about a demo code he got from a friend who was a Platinum Club Nintendo member for the 2013-2014 year. Suddenly, I was overjoyed, because I was a Platinum member for the 2013-2014 year as well. I rushed back to my house, ready to obtain my codes so my girlfriend, my younger brother, and I could all play the demo, ready to give the last one away on Miiverse to the user who inspired me to not give up drawing on Miiverse.

However, to my dismay, and like a fatal blow in the gut, no demo codes were in my Inbox – because I had not checked a box that allowed Nintendo to send marketing emails to my inbox. There was a moment of silence, followed by feelings of anxiety, sadness, anger, and regret. But in the midst, I noticed something that enlightened me… I felt vulnerable to the point that I wanted the game even more than I ever have, and that’s exactly what Nintendo wanted out of the whole thing.

Who here agrees with this person

Insaniac

Hey, how are the controller customization options? I liked the ability to change all the buttons in Brawl so hopefully this is in Sm4sh?

Berordn

Hey, how are the controller customization options? I liked the ability to change all the buttons in Brawl so hopefully this is in Sm4sh?

The 3DS version lets you swap the functions of the buttons so there's a 99.9% chance the Brawl control customization options are still there in the Wii U version.

Honestly picking Guile to differentiate the characters of Street Fighter just shows why I hate that game. You could've said Bison and it would've made more sense since he's nothing like Ken or Ryu, but fundamentally outside of the fact guile is a charge character is moves are all practically similar to the shotos.

Just because they're a fireball and an invincible anti-air doesn't make them similar. You can't just ignore the fact that he's a charge character when both his normals and his specials take that into account in their design either.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
OOT: Some people have been encouraged me to start playing XenoBlade, I would like to update on that notion. I just started playing the game and now I'm at Colony 9. Any pro-tips would be nice. I'm already aware of skill tree, arts, equipments and basic things.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
OOT: Some people have been encouraged me to start playing XenoBlade, I would like to update on that notion. I just started playing the game and now I'm at Colony 9. Any pro-tips would be nice. I'm already aware of skill tree, arts, equipments and basic things.

There's really no tips needed because Xenoblade is extremely easy. Except that if you care about 100% every sidequest, then look up a guide because there are a few point-of-no-returns. This is my only annoyance with Xenoblade, because it works against the rest of the game being so free and one of the few RPGs you don't need to have a guide attached to your hip to enjoy. But none of the side-quests are that rewarding so no biggie.

Just explore everywhere, and you'll easily level up. And there's no penalty in dying, so just play at your own pace.

Timeaisis

I hope you have a lot of free time. You are going to need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom