• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Mother 1 a lot, but if you are playing the english prototype emulated I suggest using a fast forward feature because there is some grinding and the random encounters are numerous. That makes it more bearable.

I also suggest using the "Easy Ring" patch that doubles EXP and money gain. Makes the game a lot less tedious to play.

Kangi

Mother 1's pretty underrated, but I feel that's due to EarthBound kind of invalidating it. I can't really think of anything it does that EarthBound doesn't do better. They also share a lot of the same themes. The story's nice, though.

It's solid and very good in its own right, but I can see why it's often the forgotten one.

Pompadour

There is no possible way he wasn't saying this without attempting to be sarcastic. I just can't.

It seems like such a minor, somewhat boring feature. It would seem gamebreaking if for every 100% percent you got a damage, speed, and knock back boost like it was a stripped down X-Factor. This seems barely noticeable.

On the flip side, It rewards players for surviving longer too especially heavies.

Surviving means keeping your stock in the first place and getting an opportunity to further a lead on top of that. Besides, why reward that in a game where it's not even a feat? You got in that situation by getting damaged anyway.
There's no sign of it being gamebreaking, but the best case scenario for it is pretty much it being unnecessary.

Bleep

>>Smash community complains that Fighting Game Community doesn't take them seriously
>>Smash community bitches anyway when a comeback mechanic is implemented

ehl oh ehl

In 2015 the Smash community and the fighting game community will finally unite after finding common ground in despising comeback mechanics.

ffdgh

Just not an appropriate thing to insult someone over.
Agreed.

Surviving means keeping your stock in the first place and getting an opportunity to further a lead on top of that. Besides, why reward that in a game where it's not even a feat? You got in that situation by getting damaged anyway.
There's no sign of it being gamebreaking, but the best case scenario for it is pretty much it being unnecessary.

I see it as a new and interesting twist for the series honestly. Like you said, it doesn't look broken so I have no problems with it so far.

Next

Doesn't reward not getting killed if you're really dominating, see above.

I don't understand what you're trying to say in that post honestly.

The way it looks to me is, if you get the first stock you are in a bigger advantage with rage, since now your oponent has a harder time killing you than he did before he got himself killed. Giving you more of a chance of racking up damage before you die.

emb

I don't understand what you're trying to say in that post honestly.

The way it looks to me is, if you get the first stock you are in a bigger advantage with rage, since now your oponent has a harder time killing you than he did before he got himself killed.
Yeah, I think it rewards the player that is ahead more than anything else, really. Or at least the player that is better at recovery/VI/being heavy.

Early kills seem pretty rare in this game, so even if you take a stock without getting hit, rage still probably gives you an advantage. That means you still have rage on the way while being a stock ahead.

(Not that rage even matters really, based on that first video. Looks like a really small effect.)

Lord Phol

Everyone is entitled to an opinion ofc, but I can hardly see how rage would even be close to as bad as tripping. Not even sure it's a bad thing at all.

emb

Wait, what's the rage mechanic?
The knockback on your attacks scales with your percent.

So you send people a little further when you have high damage. (Dubbed rage because of the steam/smoke effect you get with high percent, but it seems to be a gradual effect, showing up before the steam does.)

emb

I like the way someone (here, I think?) put it before: "Everyone is Lucario, and Lucario is super Lucario."

I wonder if Lucario does get the extra bonus from rage, or if his aura just overrides the overall system mechanic. Or does Lucario's aura normally only add to percent dealt and projectile size?

Forkball

For the sake of diversity, I have decided to play every character online in 1v1 For Glory mode all against different people. I will just go in order. Will I go 0-48? Stay tuned.

FORKSMASH (I'm the first character listed)

Mario vs. Little Mac

Mario is much improved compared to previous iterations. Sadly, I am not. I've never lost to a Little Mac in 1v1, so my dignity is on the line. He was more cautious than others I've face off against, and did a great job not whiffing his attacks while I whiffed nearly all my smashes. I JUST KEEP MISSING WHY MARIO WHERE'S YOUR TORNADO? Winner: Little Mac

Luigi vs. Sheik

Luigi was my main in Brawl and I've used him a lot in SSB4 so I can't choke here. Sheik is a fierce opponent though, mostly used by the tryhardest of tryhards who have a poster of M2K somewhere in their room. The match started with some projectile spam as I inch closer to get in some real offense. Sheik completely whiffed her down special and went flying off the map. I chased to get a kick or two in and manage to get a KO early in the match when I'm only about 7%. When she respawned, we poked at each other until she realized that life is futile and then jumped off the map. Winner: Luigi

Peach vs. Mario

The match started off him deflecting my turnip back at me. Awesome. I actually manage to rack up a pseudo-combo and get him up to 40% pretty quickly. He continued to deflect my turnips. How about my side special? YOU CAN'T DEFLECT MY ASS. Apparently you can and I almost died from it. I almost take a life until he fucking WALLJUMPS to save his life. He kills me after doing his stupid sliding kick a thousand times. It's ok, he's about 120%. I proceed to let him wallop me until he murders me with a meteor smash before I can even have a chance to say "well at least I killed him once." Winner: Mario

Bowser vs. Yoshi

Battle of the butt slams. Bowser is someone who everyone says is incredible in this game, but I'm awful with him. Surprise, he did his egg roll move right at the start. If Bowser can just get a hit in, it's worth three Yoshi strikes. We also traded butt slams with varying success. We both get up to 100% and I KO him with an up tilt. That's right an UP TILT. Bowser can just lazily slap his claw at you and it's over. I bamboozle my advantage and he kills me with 0%. So it's another even stock battle. The butt barrage continues near the edge, but I managed to get a quick attack in and it messed up his positioning and he butt slamed off the stage and to his death. What's with people hurling themselves off the map? Winner: Bowser

Yoshi vs. Bowser

MIRROR MATCH. He went butt slam crazy and while he got in a few good ones, I decided to just punish each one with Yoshi's powerful running kick. When facing Bowser, you need to get in so many attacks just to make up for ONE of his. He managed to eventually KO me with a down air. He skirted around, trying not to throw away his advantage, but I swallowed him up and taunted as my egg fell of the stage. Eerily like the last match, we faced off with one stock and 0% each. I did okay, but each attack from Bowser was punishing and he anticlimatically killed me with a random air strike. BOWSER NERF PLS. Winner: Bowser

Rosalina vs. Mario

Fuck you Rosalina. Winner: Mario

Bowser Jr. vs. Kirby

Finally, an adorable match. And yes, I picked Bowser Jr. and not those wannabe Koopalings. Both fighters are very versatile, but Kirby doesn't have the projectile advantage. I tried to set up a trap where i sent one of the robots out, and then charge my cannon. Obviously he would just wait to try to dodge the cannon or rush me to get me to prematurely fire it, but the robot would sneak up on him eventually and help set up my attacks. I managed to get the first KO after dropping my clown car on him and then hitting him with a down aerial. Did you know Bowser Jr. is crazy powerful in the air without his car? Well, he is. Kirby evened it up, but I had Kirby on the ropes and finish him off with a classic side Smash. Winner: Bowser Jr.

Wario vs. Donkey Kong

I don't think I've ever seen a DK online 1v1. Little did I know a feature length battle awaited. I tried to spam my bike, which worked at the beginning, but DK wised up and had some good counters to it. He was also trying to desperately set up a meteor smash. It's a bit scary to be off the stage when the dong is expanding. He manages to slap the shit out of me for the KO, and then takes me up to 60% before I kill him with a fart. He pummeled me a bit more, and I was at about 130% when he was at 30%. I had to play cautiously as pretty much any attack would seal the victory for DK. I actually staged a bit of a comeback and got him up to 90%. All fell to ruin as I tried my bike again. How do I get off this thing again? STOP TAUNTING WARIO. I screw up my position badly and he pounds me into the ground and slaps me off for the win. Winner: Donkey Kong

Mr. Game and Watch vs. Peach

Surely I can collect Peach's turnips, thus nullfiying one of her major moves? No, no I cannot. This Peach was good. Damn good. She knew exactly when I was going to initiate my running attack and dodged my smashes and aerials with ease. Where was this shit when I was playing Peach? She toyed with me like a dog with a bone and mercifully finishes me off. I pray to god I can just get a Smash attack in and even it up... when I am at 145%. HERE COMES THE COMEBACK. Or not. At least I made her get me up to 197% before my soul was crushed. Winner: Peach

Forksmash record: 3-6. Some frustrating matches, but the Wario and Bowser Jr. ones were quite fun and even. Next up, the Zelda row.

Auskeek

M2k is saying on Zero stream that the Rage mechanics are worse than tripping.

Reading this made me freak the hell out, so I looked at a video. Doesn't look bad at all, nowhere near as bad as tripping. I'm pretty neutral towards this "rage effect", could even consider it a good thing. And I'm guessing that is a SamSho reference?

Would anyone care to comment on Sheik? I used to be a beast with him in Melee but with Brawl I used to hate how floaty his second jump was. Are his moves more tightened up in 4 or is he generally the same as in Brawl? Thanks!

Reading this made me freak the hell out, so I looked at a video. Doesn't look bad at all, nowhere near as bad as tripping. I'm pretty neutral towards this "rage effect", could even consider it a good thing. And I'm guessing that is a SamSho reference?
I don't know what SamSho is, but Tekken has a rage mechanic, so if I had to guess I'd say it's probably a reference to that.

georly

I would rather not push you since it will happen eventually, and I'm in no hurry, but I guess my most known is my Pika

Serebii joe did all the pokemon custom moves already. They're on his site.

FYI, for those that missed it, here are my ganondorf and DK custom moves:

Ganondorf: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=131415338&postcount=18051

DK: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=131406623&postcount=18001

I don't know what SamSho is, but Tekken has a rage mechanic, so if I had to guess I'd say it's probably a reference to that.

Has tekken always had that? If it was introduced later, did the tekken community have a meltdown about it?

Honestly, if anything, I think the rage mechanic makes for really exciting comebacks. Competitive play is all about what the AUDIENCE finds fun, above all else.

If the audience thinks it's fun to watch, there will be more people watching. If there are more people watching, there will be more sponsors. If there are more sponsors, there will be more money. If there is more money, you'll have more people willing to play it competitively. etc etc.

Forkball

Just press the jump button to get off Wario's bike lol

I was pressing it man. I was pressing the SHIT out of it. DK was defying the laws of the game.

It should be fun to go through online with every character though. Free victories for random Japanese people, hooray. I'm curious to see who I encounter the most out of these 48 battles. Mario is in the lead right now with two. If someone picks Mario online, they are probably pretty good from my experience. People got too damn good from that two day demo!

Revven

Would anyone care to comment on Sheik? I used to be a beast with him in Melee but with Brawl I used to hate how floaty his second jump was. Are his moves more tightened up in 4 or is he generally the same as in Brawl? Thanks!

The game is still slightly floaty from what I can tell but Sheik is actually a much better character this time around -- there's tons of footage you can find of competitive players using her and succeeding in this early meta with her. She's much closer to how she plays in Melee than how she did in Brawl fwiw. Between the way she edgeguards to how she can shift from being an aggro character to a more patient one with her needles.

She's overall much better than she was in Brawl. The only similarity she shares with her Brawl incarnation is her relatively weak Fair but the Fair is really good for edgeguarding and carrying people offstage -- it's got similar utility to her Melee Fair except it doesn't KO as early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom