• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKGaming

Banned
Does anyone else feel like Lucario in Brawl and Smash 4 shouldn't talk? Unless I'm mistaken, the only Lucario that could talk was the one in that movie. I've never seen any other Lucario talk. So is this Lucario in Smash the same one from the movie...?

Cody_D165

Banned
9s and 10s generally is what I recall.

I'm sure our good friends at GameSpot will give Smash 3DS a nice 8/10. :>

Tbh, I'm expecting more 7s and 8s than usual simply because when you compare it to past Smash iterations a lot of stuff is missing. The term "barebones" is being tossed around a lot when people describe Smash 3DS. The reviewers are bound to point out the lack of adventure mode and whatnot, and stuff like the lack of the item frequency option. Hell there's even no introductory cutscene.

Not that any of this stuff matters in the long run, but there's bound to be some reviews that knock it down a couple of points by comparing it to past games.

Wii U will likely fare better in terms of reviews.

Jawmuncher

So has anyone lost hype for a character after watching some gameplay?
I know for me I have sort of lost interest in Robin. Have watched plenty of vids and it just doesn't seem like a character I would enjoy.

Kangi

I know for me I have sort of lost interest in Robin. Have watched plenty of vids and it just doesn't seem like a character I would enjoy.

Went from "potential secondary" to "thoroughly disinterested" on Shulk. Occasional pick, at best.

Went from "potential secondary" to "thoroughly disinterested" on Shulk. Occasional pick, at best.
*shrugs* It was the opposite for me. I was originally not interested in Shulk, but now I am after seeing gameplay footage of him.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

The fact that people actually expect, no, the fact that people actually WANT Bandanna Dee to be playable is just downright laughable. I'd rather have Goombario and Koopa the Quick.

Bandana Waddle Dee, despite his somewhat generic name, is a re-occurring Kirby character with his own personality. Probably going forward, he'll be pushed just as hard as Dedede, Metaknight and Kirby himself.

He'd also have a really unique moveset with his spear and be way different than the three Kirby characters with their multi-jumps and what not.

ffdgh

Nah. It's rather rewarding learning an unusual moveset.

WarAdept

EbVsaI7.gif

...Toon Link for main confirmed.

Revven

Tbh, I'm expecting more 7s and 8s than usual simply because when you compare it to past Smash iterations a lot of stuff is missing. The term "barebones" is being tossed around a lot when people describe Smash 3DS. The reviewers are bound to point out the lack of adventure mode and whatnot, and stuff like the lack of the item frequency option. Hell there's even no introductory cutscene.

Not that any of this stuff matters in the long run, but there's bound to be some reviews that knock it down a couple of points by comparing it to past games.

Wii U will likely fare better in terms of reviews.

I mean, that's possible but reviewers get so caught up in a game's marketing hype that they can easily gloss over missing content or underdelivering on content. If they feel the single player is "good enough", it's easy to gloss over and not mark off as a negative.

We only have to look at games like TitanFall as examples of that, really.

Sponge

Banned
Clearly it's Sakurai Bias™ and he doesn't want to include a Kirby character he didn't make

I'm kidding, please no one take me seriously

I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere down the line they retcon bandana waddle dee as the waddle dee from Kirby 64, who "lost his bandana that morning" or something and play it off as another appearance by the character.

Kangi

I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere down the line they retcon bandana waddle dee as the waddle dee from Kirby 64, who "lost his bandana that morning" or something and play it off as another appearance by the character.

And this will be done in the Kirby 64 HD remake.

Believe.

Bandana Dee alt costume:

Sailor_DeeKSSU.png

Because Kirby is just dripping with detailed personality and lore, right

Bandanna Dee is literally just a generic Waddle Dee with a bandanna and a spear who was created because they needed a fourth playable character in Return to Dream Land. He's the Waluigi of the Kirby universe, except he's appeared in like three games as opposed to fifty. King Dedede is carried in by four Waddle Dees as he enters the battlefield. King Dedede is accompanied by a lone Waddle Dee during one of his victory poses. It would be like making Chrom playable even though he already shows up in Robin's Final Smash. A weapon does not give a character personality, I'm afraid.

Sakurai did create Bandana Dee.

"Hey uh... remember that generic bandanna-wearing Waddle Dee that appears as a cameo in Megaton Punch in Kirby Super Star? Totally the same one from Return to Dream Land."

You shouldn't have to legitimize a character by fabricating a list of game appearances. His history should speak for itself. This is even worse than the K. Rool fans who think he appeared as a rock formation in Tropical Freeze.
Like me.

My own personal canon for Kirby (shut up) involves two Waddle Dees: Kirby's friend from Kirby Super Star/Kirby 64 and Bandana Waddle Dee.

Sadly, it seems the former has been all but phased out.

Gleethor

You shouldn't have to legitimize a character by fabricating a list of game appearances. His history should speak for itself. This is even worse than the K. Rool fans who think he appeared as a rock formation in Tropical Freeze.
Like me.

Lol. It's good that you're least self aware.

Sponge

Banned
"Hey uh... remember that generic bandanna-wearing Waddle Dee that appears as a cameo in Megaton Punch in Kirby Super Star? Totally the same one from Return to Dream Land."

It's definitely based off of him, but it makes me wonder how Sakurai feels about a Waddle Dee being a playable character in Kirby games now.

Wait what am I talking about? I almost forgot it happened before.

Kirby64_box.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom