• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to me that getting the game early doesn't count for much if it's only two or three days early. If it's a month early, even a week early, sure - but a couple days? By that point, the wait until the official release is negligible anyway.

Growlie19

Turns out my Gamestop is doing a midnight release! It's a shame I have classes on Friday.
Not like I'm getting any sleep, though. Hype is like caffeine to me.

Jawmuncher

It seems to me that getting the game early doesn't count for much if it's only two or three days early. If it's a month early, even a week early, sure - but a couple days? By that point, the wait until the official release is negligible anyway.

Still if someone asked you
Do you want the game right now or later, and there were no repercussions for you either way. You're going to want it now.

Still if someone asked you
Do you want the game right now or later, and there were no repercussions for you either way. You're going to want it now.

Oh for sure, if someone just walked up and offered it to me early, I'd probably take it. But I wouldn't go out of my way to get it early by calling stores or something like that. That's more trouble than it's worth to me.

Jawmuncher

Oh for sure, if someone just walked up and offered it to me early, I'd probably take it. But I wouldn't go out of my way to get it early by calling stores or something like that. That's more trouble than it's worth to me.

Agreed on that front then.
If I see it while i'm out it'll be nice. But yeah putting in that much work for only a chance isn't something i'd do.

georly

Agreed on that front then.
If I see it while i'm out it'll be nice. But yeah putting in that much work for only a chance isn't something i'd do.

It totally depends on the game for me. 99% of games I couldn't care less. But then you have your smash games, your zelda games, etc, and It's worth it to me to at least swing by a k-mart or sears and see if it's available early, on the off-chance that I can play it a bit sooner.

emb

Turns out my Gamestop is doing a midnight release! It's a shame I have classes on Friday.
Not like I'm getting any sleep, though. Hype is like caffeine to me.
Classes you say? Unless there's a test or something, I think I'd probably get 'sick' on a day like that.
Go to class.

I already approved a vacation day at work though. Ready to be hyped.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
You guys suck, my gamestop is having a midnight release but I work the next day and used up my sick days for a extra long vacation. I guess I'll just play during my lunch break...

georly

YES SIR, thanks so much, as soon as you let me know i'll be calling around everywhere and hope my magic works again ;) xD

I find it's better to just show up, because maybe, MAYBE if you call, they do some research and find out it's not for sale :p It's usually best to just spring it on them. But if you have luck w/ calling, let me know! I think Target/Gamestop/Wal-Mart are the big 3 whose computers won't even let you buy it. I tried buying the Zelda 3DS XL from wal-mart who had it out a week early and they wouldn't sell it to me, even after complaining that if it was on the sales floor that I should be able to buy it.
Wouldn't it just make more sense to suicide instead of using items?

Yeah, BUT, there are a few challenges that require versus wins with certain characters, so you may as well knock them out while you're doing it:

Win with Ness 3 Times in vs.
Win with Luigi 3 Times in vs.
Win with Zelda 2 Times in vs.
Win with Marth 3 Times in vs.
Win With Captain Falcon 3 Times in vs.
Win with Samus 10 Times in vs.
Use Meta Knight 5 Times in vs.
Use Villager 3 Times in vs.

jorgejjvr

Wouldn't it just make more sense to suicide instead of using items?

I was thinking about that too....but its going to appear on my records (or so I think) that i lost '120' times, so if there is an option to play with high percentage, and have the cpu at lvl 1 and just kill them fast, ill go for that

I'm sure its been answered a million times, but I have a question about digital downloading the game:

Does the game download at 12am Eastern Time across the U.S.? I love my physical copies, but I can't play at all next friday and to be able to play Thursday night (9pm) with my fiance would be worth going digital on this game for me.

Also: I'm getting a *new* 3DS next year, is transfering data and digital games on 3DS as simple as just putting the SD card into the new 3DS?

And the race to get it early begins...

someone out there will be clueless and break the street date

I think typically you have to know someone who'll let you have it in an unofficial capacity. Either that, or some mom and pop shop that doesn't set up this kind of data in their POS system (Point of Sale). Even going back to 2004 at a crappy place like Circuit City, if merch made it onto the store early by accident, we still couldn't sell it. The computer would prompt you that the item wasn't available for sale until X date and prevent it from being scanned for sale.

jorgejjvr

I find it's better to just show up, because maybe, MAYBE if you call, they do some research and find out it's not for sale :p It's usually best to just spring it on them. But if you have luck w/ calling, let me know! I think Target/Gamestop/Wal-Mart are the big 3 whose computers won't even let you buy it. I tried buying the Zelda 3DS XL from wal-mart who had it out a week early and they wouldn't sell it to me, even after complaining that if it was on the sales floor that I should be able to buy it.

Its just that i'll be guessing...and driving a lot. For example, I live in miami, and the person on sears that told me they had mk8 was a store in Hialeah, which if you lived here you'll know its not close. I think it was about over 20 miles away and like a 45 min drive on the highway. So idk. The only store close to me is gamestop, I can even walk there (and i do), and they for sure wont sell it early

georly

Its just that i'll be guessing...and driving a lot. For example, I live in miami, and the person on sears that told me they had mk8 was a store in Hialeah, which if you lived here you'll know its not close. I think it was about over 20 miles away and like a 45 min drive on the highway. So idk. The only store close to me is gamestop, I can even walk there (and i do)

Good point, you're more dedicated than I! Good luck on your quest!

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Yep, just decided, there's no way I can't hold out for a midnight release when I can just download it at 9pm Pacific.

9pm. Thursday night. October 2nd.

I'M. SO. CLOSE.

Mistle

I don't mean to be disrespectful, I love the GC controller as much as the next guy, but going to that effort instead of just learning a new control scheme seems crazy..

Took me 10 matches at most for it to start feeling second nature.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
I don't mean to be disrespectful, I love the GC controller as much as the next guy, but going to that effort instead of just learning a new control scheme seems crazy..

I think it's more for the feel of a real joystick, more comfortable buttons and the hope of c-stick for attacks. If the game allowed c-stick to work like that I'd actually look into it.

If I wasn't east coast I would most assuredly do the same thing.

*hugs los angeles*

SmithnCo

Yeah, the controls are totally fine as is.

Miutsu

My only problem with the 3DS controls is that you can't input aerial movement and attacks separately without the help of the C-stick, but that's one problem the WiiU version won't have.

zruben

Banned
for the people who has the game already...

is it "worthy" to use my 3DS play coins (you know, the ones they give you by walking with the 3DS in your pocket) to buy trophies?

I have a lot, and I'm using them for Theatrhythm, but I don't know if I should save them for Smash.

Using a GCN controller on 3DS seems like it would be really uncomfortable. The 3DS, obviously, is designed to be held in your hands, but, if you're using a GCN controller, your hands will be full. That means you'll have to set the 3DS down in front of you and then lean in real close because the screen is too small to see properly at any distance greater than arms-length. It'll be like trying to play the Virtual Boy.

It just seems like a really impractical solution to something that isn't much of a problem to begin with. I know we all love the GCN controller, but the 3DS controls aren't that bad. It didn't take me more than a couple matches to get used to them.

My only problem with the 3DS controls is that you can't input aerial movement and attacks separately without the help of the C-stick, but that's one problem the WiiU version won't have.
Yeah this is actually is a big disadvantage for Jigglypuff and Wario since they can't do retreating bairs in the 3DS game.

Also no auto-cancel DAir for Ganondorf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom