• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT2| Nintendo All-Stars Battle Quarter Pounder

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
na5daysgoykr.gif

Yeah, 5 more days! :)

JoeInky

I think JoeInky was adamant about it.

I haven't been able to watch these matches that everyone is gushing over, but I think he's way too limited when playing against better players.

Unless there's something I don't know about, his only standout moves are dash attack, Fair and Bthrow. His Dash Attack and Fair are also pretty unsafe, even when spaced correctly.

His Dthrow isn't good any more now that we know about VI because it isn't a combo starter at any percent, his PK Fire is way too slow to be useful against better, faster characters, even if you do a retreating pivot cancel with it and PKT/PKT2 only works against bad players (and leffen).

Maybe it's just because I choke a lot against ZeRo and Vex and get a lot of input lag so I end up assuming that they're the only truly good players I've faced and that the stuff with Ness only works against bad players.

I do have an over 70% win rate with him in for glory, but I don't feel that's a particularly accurate measure of the character in competitive play.

I'm mostly trying to ignore that though and look at him from a mechanical perspective and I just don't feel like he's versatile enough to be as good as people are suggesting based on early footage, he just doesn't have the tools imo.

He is insanely good against projectile characters though, I feel like they've increased the length of the reflect hitbox on his FSmash because I find it much easier to reflect projectiles, even online and without the use of a CStick (which has caused me to die quite a few times, pivot cancelled smash attacks are hard for me without a cstick).

JoeInky

I guess my main problem with Ness is that PK Fire has way too much endlag and that the yo-yo no longer has a hitbox during the charging, it just feels wrong and I end up using those moves a lot more than I should do, considering how bad they are in Smash 4.

Like, I'll use the yo-yo a lot to tech chase or just punish a bad roll, but it just does not work in Smash 4 without the hitbox, and I'll still do it just because I'm used to project M (Like how I still try to L-Cancel DK and Ganon's aerials 80% of the time)

I'd also prefer a weaker PK Flash that moves faster like in PM as well as the insta-dair... I'd prefer a lot of things from PM Ness honestly, the double-jump cancels, the yo-yo, the insta-dair, PK Flash, PSI Magnet damage and cancels. He's just so much fun to play in that game compared to Smash 4.

And not because he's a better character or whatever because he's still pretty low, he's just more enjoyable to play because of the options you have and the fact that you can actually use a lot of his moves instead of basically being stuck with half or less of his moveset like in Smash 4.

Forkball

Time for FORKSMASH VOL. 3. I'm playing every character online in 1v1 For Glory mode against different people. Agony awaits, but at least I'm not playing Sheik over and over again you damn tryhards. I'm the first character listed.

Vol. 1
Vol. 2

Pit vs. Little Mac

How do you play Pit again? He's not Link, and not Meta Knight. Mac was good at positioning himself and he nailed almost all of his running strikes. Why can't I do that? I eventually got humiliated with a KO punch. When did people get good with Little Mac? He was fodder the first week of release. FODDER. Winner: Little Mac

Palutena vs. Ike

Holy shit Palutena stop talking and do your attack. This may have been the first time I've actually landed Smash attacks with Palutena. Up AND side, it was a new era. Ike still gets the first KO because you know, he's Ike. Also I kept screwing up my dodges so he had so many free side B shots. I tied it up, but Pally was at 40%. CAN I COME BACK? I actually manage to thanks to me actually doing something for the first time: dodging attacks and not choking. Winner: Palutena

Marth vs. Little Mac

MINNA MITEITE KURE. Another Little Mac battle, this time with wireframe! He was certainly not as good as the Mac in my Pit battle, but really as long as you can land some good smashes in and don't fuck up horribly you can squeeze out a win. I wasn't going to fall for those running attacks this time, and I got pretty close to him and poked him whenever I could. His counter game was better than mine though, STOP JUST STANDING THERE MARTH. I landed more big hits than he did though and won the bout. My Little Mac losing streak has come to an end! Winner: Marth

Ike vs. Jigglypuff

Oh shit, Jigglypuff. This guy was either really good or really terrible. Fortunately it was the latter. He kept trying to hit Rest on me. IKE DON'T PLAY. Not much to say, it was basically just me swinging my sword around. I cannot confirm if this battle was for my friends or not. Winner: Ike

Robin vs. King Dedede

Dedede has been someone I've been trying more since Smash 4, so I kind of know what to do against him. Protip: El Fire is a crappy counter to the gordo. He did the classic down throw into forward air several times and takes my first stock. I went completely mind games on him at the edge and he killed himself. Dedede looked so happy plummeting to his death. The second stock was very close, but Dedede's aerials are better than Robin's. Or maybe I'm just not good with him. Why doesn't Robin carry TWO Levin swords? For a tactician he's not very smart. Winner: King Dedede

Kirby vs. Mega Man

S+++ tier Mega Man strategy: Spam metal blade followed by running attack and then use that stupid air tornado. You are zoning with skill, congratulations. At least Mega Man won at something. Winner: Mega Man

King Dedede vs. Greninja

I swear most of the time I play Dedede online it's against Greninja. That can't be a coincidence! His shurikens are very good at deflecting gordos so I tried not to use them a whole lot. Greninja actually got to 160% before I killed him, dem blast boxes. He managed to kill me after I did a lot of damage to him and was staging a bit of a comeback, but nah son THE KING IS HERE. He did the log counter on my gordo and I managed to smash the shit out of him halfway through his counter animation, I didn't even know you could do that. Winner: King Dedede

Meta Knight vs. Marth

The nerf brothers. Seconds into the battle, I flew off the stage with my side B. Welps, shit happens. To my surprise, Marth purposefully jumped off the stage so it could be one stock each. A MAN WITH HONOR. This is how you Smash, people. He was quite good at Marth and while I got some good shots in, he easily finished me off. I can't be mad to fight such a chivalrous fellow. He even had white Marth, the same one I use. Winner: Marth

Little Mac vs. Zero Suit Samus

Arms vs. Legs, which appendage is best? After fighting so many ZSS's I knew she would just spam the shit out of that stupid whip and I was right. I just put up my counter anytime I saw that animation and punished her for it. Same with her stupid running knee. I get some clean smashes in and take the first stock. I didn't get in as much damage as I wanted to before I was KO'd, but a few smashes (and whiffed KO punches) later I claimed victory. PS: Little Mac has the coolest down smash in the game. Winner: Little Mac

Forksmash Record: 11-16. I did much better this row than the others but I still get clowned on repeatedly. Next up, a bunch of goobers who were lucky to get into the game.

I've gotta say, I really love Zelda's white/pink costume with blonde hair.

It just looks soooo good, and the blonde hair suits her so much better.

Will be one of my mains for sure <3

Masked Man

I said wow
I never understood how the brown Dog is a Banjo-Kazooie reference, it's not even the same color.

Not the same but similar color scheme, playstyle similar to how many envisioned B-K to play in Smash, high demand among longtime fans for the duo's appearance in Smash, I guess? It's a little bit of projection, but I don't think it's wholly unfounded. :D

Violet_0

Banned
Am I the only one that didn't care for playing any of the demo characters?

nah, it's the same for me. Link is okay since I mained Young Link/Toon Link, but the characters I'm really interested in (Bowser Jr., Rosalina, Greninja) are unfortunately not in the demo

Still have seen very little of some of my favorite characters in Brawl (Kirby, Wario, Donkey Kong, etc). Think at this point I'm willing to wait until launch to find out myself.

ffdgh

C'mon it's only 5 more days. Besides, things are going to get more painful the closer we get with people getting early copies . :D

Violet_0

Banned
I just pre-ordered this from amazon, estimated delivery date Oct 7-9 after I placed the order

preorder chanceled, digital download it is

Little Mac looks so hype. I just bought the first Punch-out on the 3DS VC. Never played a punch-out game before but I liked the boxing sections in the Wonderful 101.

So how is Wario in SSB 3DS compared to Wario in SSBB?
I don't have the game so this is all from watching videos and reading other impressions. Not a whole lot of dedicated Wario players out there now so this is the best that I could get.
-New Forward Smash and Up Smash. Forward Smash is an enlarged backfist. A lot more range and power than his old FSmash, but has a really slow start up and doesn't have armor. New USmash is way better since DACUS is out. It's a headbutt that functions like Mario's USmash.
-His tilts in general are faster. FTilt has more knockback it seems, same for UTilt.
-Jab is faster, especially the second hit
-Down Smash is WAY better. He doesn't spin for like 5 years anymore. Way faster and more knockback
-Dash attack doesn't have as much endlag as in Brawl, and the tip of it actually trips. (Though following up with an attack seems pretty difficulty. Mostly good for tech chases I'm assuming)
-His fthrow (wild swing a ding) and bthrow (butt slam) in Brawl switched places now. Butt slam has a lot more knockback and can kill, whereas wild swing a ding isn't a kill throw anymore apparently.
-NAir has a new animation. Seems like it still functions the same though
-FAir has more range
-DAir is affected by gravity unfortunately. Short hop DAir doesn't auto cancel anymore? Still solid though
-BAir got more knockback now. Kills really early.
-UAir, on the other, has less knockback. Doesn't kill as early as in Brawl. Still seems like a good KO move though.
-Bite doesn't have insane priority anymore, but it eats pretty much most projectiles now. It's insane. Heard that eating projectiles can charge the waft faster too like eating items, but not really sure on that one.
-Corkscrew covers WAY more distance, and seems like a solid attack move now. Otherwise, nothing to write home about.
-Waft seems like it has a smaller hitbox, but still as good otherwise.

As for the bike...
The bike got both buffed and nerfed. It's less of a defensive move now though and more of a solid approach option and even a kill option.
-A lot faster in general, especially in the air. More knockback when it hits as well
-Is still a really good recovery move, if not even better because of the faster air speed
-Doing a wheelie doesn't slow you down anymore, and dropping the wheelie actually kills very early now if you hit with it.
-The bike has a hitbox even if you get off it.
-Wario moves a lot faster when holding the bike. Throws it faster too
-Can't grab wheels anymore when the bike breaks, though. But can eat the broken part for a whooping 1% health. lol
-Can't be dismounted instantly anymore.

-Much smoother animations
-A lot more expressive
-Taunts and victory animations (also the victory jingle) are the same
-HEAVILY NERFED IN TERMS COLORS ;__;
Wario_Palette_%28SSB4%29.png

Basically, he still seems like a very solid character with a lot of neat buffs across the board and a few, albeit hurtful, nerfs. A lot more well rounded since his ground options got buffed, but he still looks like he's the king of the air.
Can't wait to get my hands on the new Wario.

SuperSah

Banned
I just pre-ordered this from amazon, estimated delivery date Oct 7-9 after I placed the order

preorder chanceled, digital download it is

Damn.

Mine's estimated to arrive day one. I assume because I got first class delivery, and did preorder it back in March.

Any idea when they'll begin to process orders? That's when the legit hype kicks in.

Pyrokai

THANK YOU for the Wario description. I've been widbweing about him for a while now.

Why are they hiding him in secret character status???? -_____-

Makai

Updating my tier list speculation. I'm sorry it's such a small list. I play all of the characters regularly, but I'm very unsure how most of the cast fare.

A: Sheik, ZSS
B: Villager, Robin, Bowser Jr
C: Mario, Fox
D: Little Mac, Captain Falcon, Falco
bY1UuH8.png
: Mega Man

Can't believe we'll finally all be playing Smash in less than a week. I should check if I have the weekend off. Luckily Curtain Call is actually tiding me over a bit and has replaced the Smash Demo for now.

Makai

Funny, but I will still defend Megaman in that people are unwilling to learn how he plays. I would gladly take him over Pikachu.
I have been trying my hardest. The best I can do is to play super lame with P Blaster and Metal Blade. He really sucks and the only thing that can save him is a downloadable update.

Time for FORKSMASH VOL. 3. I'm playing every character online in 1v1 For Glory mode against different people. Agony awaits, but at least I'm not playing Sheik over and over again you damn tryhards. I'm the first character listed.

Vol. 1
Vol. 2

I want to let you know I'm enjoying these online escapades, makes me want to give the concept a whirl at some point when the game releases over here.

-HEAVILY NERFED IN TERMS COLORS ;__;

I'm absolutely gutted that my two favourite overall colours were dropped, so long chocolate fudge and classy sailor Wario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom