• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT2| Nintendo All-Stars Battle Quarter Pounder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Another tournament: www.twitch.tv/xfiregamingli

D1 on commentary, by the way!
I missed parts of the end, but it looked like it came down to Sheik winning, with Sonic second place?

I'd have to find the history of tournament victories, but it seems like that's 2-3 times for Sheik at least, and another fast character in second place. I'm wondering if slow characters will really have a chance against the Sheik/ZSS/Sonic players once those players get even more used to the game. I feel like there was one more fast tourney-winning character but I can't remember which one it was.

I missed parts of the end, but it looked like it came down to Sheik winning, with Sonic second place?

I'd have to find the history of tournament victories, but it seems like that's 2-3 times for Sheik at least, and another fast character in second place. I'm wondering if slow characters will really have a chance against the Sheik/ZSS/Sonic players once those players get even more used to the game. I feel like there was one more fast tourney-winning character but I can't remember which one it was.

Are you thinking of the Japanese one where a Greninja won?

Blizzard

Banned
Are you thinking of the Japanese one where a Greninja won?
Yep, that was it.

So tourney winners ZSS, Sheik, Greninja, Ness (the odd one out), Sheik. Sonic near the top this time which makes sense since he's also fast.

There have been other characters that made it NEAR the finals, such as R.O.B. or Duck Hunt Dog, but my guess (hopefully I'm wrong) is that they may get weeded out if people get really good at 3-5 fast characters.

Revven

Yep, that was it.

So tourney winners ZSS, Sheik, Greninja, Ness (the odd one out), Sheik. Sonic near the top this time which makes sense since he's also fast.

There have been other characters that made it NEAR the finals, such as R.O.B. or Duck Hunt Dog, but my guess (hopefully I'm wrong) is that they may get weeded out if people get really good at 3-5 fast characters.

Don't forget Pac-Man who was the second place winner at the Japanese tourney. He's also actually kinda slow compared to the other chars.

Anyway, FOW's Ness is on now on the Socalsmash tourney.

Blizzard

Banned
Don't forget Pac-Man who was the second place winner at the Japanese tourney. He's also actually kinda slow compared to the other chars.

Anyway, FOW's Ness is on now on the Socalsmash tourney.
Good point -- my hypothesis is that Pac-Man would be one of the weeded out ones if Sheik etc. are objectively superior. I'm hoping I'm wrong and there end up being some odd winners like Rosalina, Palutena, or Wii Fit Trainer.

Yep, that was it.

DHD has won before I think.

Also, please note that Dabuz's main is Rosalina, so it's not like he used Sheik the whole tourney or anything. It was more of a counterpick thing.

Blizzard

Banned
DHD has won before I think.

Also, please note that Dabuz's main is Rosalina, so it's not like he used Sheik the whole tourney or anything. It was more of a counterpick thing.
Oh, I didn't see any of the Rosalina games. I also don't remember any 3DS tourneys where DHD won (just getting 4th - 2nd place) but maybe I forgot one?

Lunar15

Man, watching Little Mac is so hype. He feels like an underdog in every matchup due to his gimped recovery and complete lack of aerial game, but he's a monster on the ground.

Hatchtag

Banned
Man, watching Little Mac is so hype. He feels like an underdog in every matchup due to his gimped recovery and complete lack of aerial game, but he's a monster on the ground.

Little Mac's my favorite to watch, but that might be because he's my main so I can usually tell when they're doing some impressive shit with him (or when they're completely misusing him, too).

The team really did an incredible job bringing these new characters to life. I love all the sound effects Megaman has.

Zubz

Banned
Huh...Male Robin says "let's tip the scales" instead of "time to tip the scales". Boo. He's also got Pit's "yer not ready yet!"

Also wtf, Sonic doesn't say "You're too slow!" anymore, now he says "Sonic Speed!"

I know, man. Roger Craig Smith had a legacy to live up to, and he failed it.

On the plus side, Shulk's the new king of taunts with his "I'M REALLY FEELING IT taunt; I honestly didn't think that line'd make it into the game, but it has all the fervor you could hope for! The fact that Pac-Man's winking animation went off when he said it in that video clinched it for me. Speaking of Pac-Man, I think they forgot the one where he turns into Classic Pac and goes back and forth for a second, but they got all the Namco Roulette ones, plus the new 2nd Best Taunt where he he dreamily thinks about the ghosts, so it's all cool.

So after playing about 50 hours of Smash 3DS, here's what my personal roster for this game (and, presumably, Smash Wii U) is shaping up like:

Screen_Shot_2014_09_27_at_8_42_28_PM.png

- Mega Man is very hard to learn but incredibly rewarding and sufficiently beastly once you do. I've been winning the vast majority of my online matches with him. The key to winning with him is constant space control and pressuring your opponent with a constant deluge of Metal Blades and Crash Bombers so that they have no choice but to leave themselves open to your many up-close options, like Top Spin -> Flame Sword, down throw -> Flame Sword, down throw -> Air Shooter, Mega Upper -> Flame Sword, Mega Upper -> Air Shooter, Slide -> Flame Sword, etc. Air Shooter is especially good because it can really disrupt people and KO off the top of the screen, and it's made even better by the fact that so few people pay attention to that move or even pay it any mind. I love it. Slash Claw is great for catching players at high % with a surprise KO thanks to its great launching power, though it can be pretty hard to land. I just wish his smashes had less cooldown; they're incredibly risky and easily punishable every single time you whiff. They're all super strong, though, so I guess that balances it out.
- Kirby, my Brawl main, feels like an improved version of his Brawl incarnation (other than short hop -> Hammer not really being viable anymore), and he was already vicious there, so I'm happy.
- Palutena is just fun to play and a badass and her smashes have crazy range. I love her Urien-like reflector wall and Auto-Reticle is great for disrupting players. I just wish her default down special wasn't a counter. Still trying to improve my game with her, but it's worth it.
- Toon Link, like Kirby, feels like he did in Brawl but improved. Still super fun to use for players like myself who like Link's playstyle but don't like adult Link's weightiness and slowness. (And players who just like playing as the cooler Link in general.)
- Robin is ridiculous, straight up. Her air smashes with the Levin Sword are ridiculously strong, Elwind is a great recovery, and both Arcfire and every level of Thunder are better than any one special move should be. She really doesn't have any glaring weaknesses and she's so fun to use that I want to keep playing her even though I'm not a Fire Emblem fan.
- While I still think it's silly that Dr. Mario came back as a separate character and not just alt specials for Mario, I can't deny that he feels great to play and has everything that I liked about him in Melee. I was pretty great with him in Melee, and that seems to have carried over here.
- I've never been a Captain Falcon player in the past, but something about how he plays in this game is really clicking with me. He's just fast, strong, and overall very well-rounded without any major weaknesses. I've been playing better with him than I have any right to, and I don't know why. I'm going to keep on using him and not question it, though!
- While I'm not super great with Ness, I'm a big fan of him and EarthBound, so I have to keep playing him. I'm actually doing better with him in Smash 3DS than I ever have in the past, if my local and online matches are anything to go by. I don't know why, but I do know PK Fire is as great as it's always been and landing a fully-charged forward smash and hearing that crack of the bat is as satisfying as ever.
Ludwig - Bowser Jr. has an incredibly fun, creative moveset and Ludwig is my favorite Koopaling. There's no one else quite like Bowser Jr. in the roster, and his playstyle feels incredibly fresh and new even by Smash standards. His side B is like a more fun, less weird Wario Bike, and Mechakoops can be INCREDIBLY disruptive and damaging if you use them right. His back air is also really, really strong.
Jigglypuff - Jiggs is back, baby! She's still not quite as good as she was in Melee, but she's far better than she was in Brawl, and using her is fun again. Chasing people in the air or off-stage with repeated forward and back airs is so damn fun. Unfortunately, Rollout seems to have been nerfed a bit from Brawl and Rest, while better than in Brawl, still isn't worth the risk like it was in Melee. Still, I'm happy she's gotten most of her former glory back.
Peach - Never been a big Peach player, but I like her in this. Her side B comes out way faster than it ever did before, and she just feels slightly faster and zipper than before in general. I probably won't use her a great deal, but I have been revisiting her from time to time.
Pac-Man - He's just really fun to use and has maybe the coolest, most creative moveset in the whole roster. He feels weird and different, and I like that; he's slow, but he's got moves that can get him places quickly, and his up special is unique in that it's not initially very good, but it gets better each time you bounce on the trampoline. I suck with him right now, but I enjoy playing him.
Mario - Just like he was in Brawl, but better. F.LU.D.D. still sucks, but I'm happy to go to him when I don't feel like playing Doc but want to play a faster, lighter, (much) more combo-friendly Mario. He's still one of my better characters, just like he was in Brawl.
Lucina - Marth for people who suck with/don't like playing Marth, which is me. I'm still not good with her and I won't use her often, but she's certainly preferable to Marth for when I'm in the mood for his playstyle and want something a little different from my core mains.
Yoshi - So heavily buffed from every past game in the series it's not even funny, and I love it. Yoshi finally feels fun and viable again. I've never been good with him and that isn't likely to change with Smash 3DS, but he's more fun to play than he's ever been and he's my favorite Mario character, so yeah.
Sonic - I sucked with him in Brawl and I'm not much better with him here, but he has been buffed in general and chasing down opponents with him and generally being irritating is as fun as ever. I still wish he had better KO power, though, even if it is better than it was in Brawl. I'm a big fan of the character and series, though, so I gotta use him at least a little.

Questions people had for me about the final US version of Smash 3DS from the previous thread:

Cosmic Dreams:
Hey Ash, is there anything online that you might've already shown regarding the mii fighter outfits? I'm curious to see all the outfits we can put on them.

I don't think we've actually done a Mii Fighter outfit compilation yet, that's a good idea. The problem is that (like the custom special moves, hats, and equipment) they unlock almost completely randomly and that makes getting them all take a long time. Neither Andre nor I are anywhere close to having them all yet, but I'll keep that in mind for when we do! I'd list the ones I do have for you, but that won't do you much good without pictures and we're not allowed to post pictures or video from the US version yet.

SUPERJEM94:
There's one thing I've been wondering, and I haven't seen anyone try it before. Is there anyway for me and a friend to play together in team battles against other random players? All I know is that there is a team battle mode in For Glory mode. But you get paired up with random people for your partners.
Have you found anyway to unlock custom moveset quickly?
And what's your best control layout?

Sadly no, it doesn't appear that there is a way for you to play in online team battles with a friend. I'll keep looking into it, though, and let you know if I find otherwise.

Nope, custom specials just take forever to unlock because what you get is mostly random and you can (and often do) get repeats. The best way right now seems to be to use the roulette-rigging trick in Classic Mode to make sure you always get custom parts each round.

For the controls, I simply switched L and R so that L is dodge/shield and R is grab/throw items/grab items in midair and I was good to go. It's still not as ideal as using a GameCube controller, obviously, but it's the most comfortable I've been able to make the 3DS version's controls for myself.

Not going to bother responding to the people from the previous thread who were being rather rude about my opinions of that thread, because what's the point of keeping that conversation going? Better to keep things civil and on point to avoid killing the hype, especially as we're just on the cusp of the game being released for everyone to enjoy. :) It's almost time, everyone! Can't wait to play with some of you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom