• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT2| Nintendo All-Stars Battle Quarter Pounder

Status
Not open for further replies.

emb

I was really excited for Robin, but personally I've found that he/she doesn't really fit my style. Definitely a slow and deliberate character. Lots of potential though, and a lot of it comes down to the levin sword smash attacks, particularly in the air. I think a lot of my issues come down to the fact that I don't really enjoy doing smash attacks with the 3DS pad.

In short, Robin has a ton of potential, but I don't think he/she's as powerful as I initially thought. People far better than me will surely find some cool stuff, though. I think Robin will remain competitively viable.
Deliberate seems like a good word for it. Even though they regenerate fast, spells & levin sword being limited means you can't just throw everything out constantly.

I can definitely see the aerial Smash inputs being annoying. Aerials in general are annoying to do in this game. It feels like I'm trapped, since I can't move completely independent of the attack. Not a big deal, just feels disorienting to me.

I wonder how Robin will work with the C-stick, now that it comes to mind...

Female Robin is best Robin.

Female Wii Fit Trainer > Male
Male Villager > Female
Male Marth = Female Marth

No Way, Male Robin is far superior and more likely to be the canon version judging by the build of the character in the in game movie scenes and not to mention is actually featured in smash artwork and newcomer video.

Male Robin>Female Robin
Female Wii-Fit Trainer>Male
Male Villager>Female Villager
Lucina>Marth

Undisputable facts.

emb

No Way, Male Robin is far superior and more likely to be the canon version judging by the build of the character in the in game movie scenes and not to mention is actually featured in smash artwork and newcomer video.
That's true, male Robin does seem to be the intended/preferred/default one. I even used him in FE:A for my first play through.

Robin in Smash just looks cooler as a girl though. And now that I think about it, I think the name Robin sounds better for a female too.

Lunar15

Deliberate seems like a good word for it. Even though they regenerate fast, spells & levin sword being limited means you can't just throw everything out constantly.

I can definitely see the aerial Smash inputs being annoying. Aerials in general are annoying to do in this game. It feels like I'm trapped, since I can't move completely independent of the attack. Not a big deal, just feels disorienting to me.

I wonder how Robin will work with the C-stick, now that it comes to mind...

Robin with c-stick seems really dangerous. I've already been thinking about this as well.

Also, all of Robin's sword attacks are kinda... floaty? I don't know the right word for it, but they aren't quick. They have wide angles and come out at a slower speed. This is what I mean by deliberate. It doesn't really feel like a "slash", but more like a magic spell, hard to explain.

In other news, I saw a video with Ike's custom moves. His second side b (quick draw) lacks a sword slash at the end and is more like a body check. It looks like you might be able to perform a move at the end of the attack. I need to get it for myself to see.

EDIT: Just tried it for myself. You can't perform another move out of it. It's a nice move though, I think I prefer it to regular quick draw. It's way faster, but does less damage. Better for approach and recovery. Man, Ike really sucks, though. :( The diagonal aether is kind of cool, but if you're facing away from the stage and you use it to recover, you're 100% dead.

Dr. Buni

This is a lie. The only reason Male Robin was featured in the video was because they didn't want to feature two female newcomers at the same time. :p

That's true, male Robin does seem to be the intended/preferred/default one. I even used him in FE:A for my first play through.

Robin in Smash just looks cooler as a girl though. And now that I think about it, I think the name Robin sounds better for a female too.

female Robin also has the superior Anna color :p

Azure J

Male Robin>Female Robin
Lucina>Marth

Undisputable facts.

I don't believe in none of that shit, your facts are backwards.

But seriously, both Robins are canon.
And OG Marth > flavor of the week Marth

emb

Robin with c-stick seems really dangerous. I've already been thinking about this as well.

Also, all of Robin's sword attacks are kinda... floaty? I don't know the right word for it, but they aren't quick. They have wide angles and come out at a slower speed. This is what I mean by deliberate. It doesn't really feel like a "slash", but more like a magic spell, hard to explain.
Interesting

That was the feeling I got from the initial reveal; I thought it looked like Robin's attacks were slow, but big, basically.

At this point I think slow is maybe a bit much... but I think I see what you mean. Different than Marth or something where he's quick enough to just swipe all over the place repeatedly.

This is a lie. The only reason Male Robin was featured in the video was because they didn't want to feature two female newcomers at the same time. :p

Then she would of been featured in the artwork :p.

131749118 said:
I don't believe in none of that shit, your facts are backwards.

But seriously, both Robins are canon.
Search deep down in your heart you know it to be true. Female Robin's design is far too close to the Tsundere archetype to be the better version.

Technically both can be considered canon just from being different universes ala the outrealm.

georly

That beetle hate lol

You can escape from beetle like 80% of the time as long as you aren't hit near the top of the screen. The bad one is the galaga bug which, although easier to evade, once it gets you, you're done unless someone hits you out of it.

Search deep down in your heart you know it to be true. Female Robin's design is far too close to the Tsundere archetype to be the better version.

Technically both can be considered canon just from being different universes ala the outrealm.

wat

Lunar15

Real talk: I've always hated Robin's design. Love the characters, but I hate the robe they wear. It just looks stupid to me.

Azure J

I've got nothing.

This is just too much.

Real talk: I've always hated Robin's design. Love the characters, but I hate the robe they wear. It just looks stupid to me.

I'm like the complete opposite with the condition that they should ALWAYS have an option to wear the hood at all times (should have been a taunt to put it up) and that the design looks better when the character isn't using a sword.

it's Robin's default faces that really get me they're awful

I mean seriously look at this fucking dude

I guess his goofy blank stare and dumb stupid face make sense for an amnesiac but still

Lunar15

I'm like the complete opposite with the caveat that they should ALWAYS have an option to wear the hood at all times (should have been a taunt to put it up) and that the design looks better when the character isn't using a sword.

I agree that it looks better with the hood and without a sword.

Have we come full circle on Ike again? D:

Yeah. I mean, I'm comfortable with him since I used him in brawl and he seems kinda faster, but really, Sakurai changed nothing. All of his flaws remain, there are no buffs here. Such a shame when so many other characters got necessary (and unnecessary) buffs.

He'll remain a monster in FFA, but he's not a 1v1 fighter.

-Horizon-

tumblr_inline_n6b0tijyzp1snqo8m.gif

Glad I used the sexy design female Robin without the twin tails then.

You can escape from beetle like 80% of the time as long as you aren't hit near the top of the screen. The bad one is the galaga bug which, although easier to evade, once it gets you, you're done unless someone hits you out of it.
That's good to know.

Zane

actually the beetle is the worst

Fellow Smash fans!
For the last couple of weeks, my team and I have worked on a small Smash bros inspired web based multiplayer game.

I just wanted to share this with you guys, so here's a gif -
1sxQF3p

jph139

My eShop is now preloaded with 40 bucks (well, it was 60, but I bought Shovel Knight)

Keep in mind that there might be sales tax - it might vary by region (not sure where you are), but for Animal Crossing: New Leaf, I thought I had enough in my wallet, but the sales tax made me go back and upload another $5 or whatever.

So you might want to put a few extra bucks on there just in case if you're as impatient as I'm gonna be.

Golnei

I quite like the regular Tactician coat, but the Grandmaster uniform is kind of awful, especially the female variant. The moulded boobplate, unnecessary bare thighs / ugly loincloth, high heels and giant ribbon ruin it for me.

Molemitts

When did review embargo lift? I didn't even realize. What are the best reviews so far?

Used to be the title for thread one but it was switched when people were confused why we got an OT for the game before it's even out in western territories.

I seem to remember it from one of the threads before the OT, can't remember what they where called.

Lunar15

This is sad.

As far as Robin goes, the robe does look dumb, but at least it looks dumb in a Fantasia sort of way.

Of all the characters I've tried, He's the most cut and paste from brawl. His new animations look stellar, but other than that, he's exaaaaaactly the same.

This Robin design hate. I can't y'all. I can't.

For a character that's supposed to be a brilliant, tactical, and organized mind, his outfit seems so incredibly haphazard. It's really sloppy looking.

emb

Of all the characters I've tried, He's the most cut and paste from brawl. His new animations look stellar, but other than that, he's exaaaaaactly the same.
They made it so Fox/Falco could do things after side B, but not Ike. :/

NeonZ

I think IS itself tried to keep the avatar as neutral as possible, with that mantle design used for the CG and even the odd set up of the avatar screen in game (the camera first approaches and shows the female avatar, before moving on to the male avatar which is where the cursor starts). Writing-wise, it feels very neutral or even favoring the female option at times (like when Chrom offers the carry the avatar if their feet are hurting), unlike some other games where the female version seems almost like an after thought.

All other related material though (like NoA's demo and localization marketing, and now Smash Bros) has no problems in pushing the male avatar as the main one though.

Male Robin>Female Robin
Lucina>Marth

Undisputable facts.
The poser better than the original? Yea right.

I'm the opposite I like the robes but hate whatever kind of pants that's supposed to be on them.

The best hairstyle for the male version wasn't included though I wish they had the short hair/brown variant for an alt so it would match my ingame avatar.

-Horizon-

For a character that's supposed to be a brilliant, tactical, and organized mind, his outfit seems so incredibly haphazard. It's really sloppy looking.
That's what bothers you? I've always considered him to be more magic based than sword based even if the tactician class is a combo of both so the robe design made sense to me.

dude looks like a stylish hobo
>.>
Well that's a new one.

SoldnerKei

well, s/he could be wearing a skimpy outfit because you know,
Plegia
is a hot place

Robin looks pretty cool imo, regardless of gender, but perhaps it's because I love hoodie outfits

Lunar15

I think it's just that every piece of clothing they wear is really baggy. Not to mention the fact that female Robin has this weird, low cut shirt under the hood in cloak. It's really strange. They both look goofy, not cool, in my opinion.

They were probably channeling this

http://haystack.csail.mit.edu/blog/...to-be-messy-or-neat-an-etiology-of-messiness/

I mean just look at Albert Einstein one of the smartest people in history but man that hair.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom