• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 6: Final Destination confirmed for not fun

What? We barely even have a good look at the stage and you're calling it underwhelming already?

Only in these threads.

Considering I loathe rumble falls & the use of generic stage editor assets in official stages
this shot reminds me of one of my big issues with Brawl.

I know it might turn out better, but I'd rather not get my hopes up, because with Brawl's dojo anything that looked bad usually ended up even worse in the end.

georly

What? We barely even have a good look at the stage and you're calling it underwhelming already?

Only in these threads.

No, seriously. Compare it to any other smash 4 stage, and tell me it's not dull-looking, as far as environment detail goes. If you have to say 'Wait, i think that's a kid icarus stage... I think?', then it's not doing it's job.

I mean compare the detail in today's screenshot to this:

daily-2013-06-17-DE-16.jpg

Or even a close-up like this:

Compared to today's image

Which looks more like this

than any other stage we've seen.

It literally just looks like more of a stage builder stage with kid icarus 'theme' than a well-crafted stage based on an existing franchise.

Lunar15

For the love of god, please do not let this be a scrolling stage for Kid Icarus. I actually want to listen to Uprising music in matches. D:

DaBoss

Why are you even showing Battlefield? That isn't based off a game.

Play Kid Icarus Uprising and you'll see that the stage looks like that. Play Super Mario Galaxy and you'll see the stage looks like that as well. And you're using Super Mario Galaxy as an example to compare which is one of the most unique stages in the games along with the Pilotwings stage.

It's clear you don't like the colors or textures from the game's chapter that this stage is based off of.

And I was only referring to the stage itself, not how its colors or textures with my previous post.

We haven't even seen the whole thing yet you're judging some portion of the stage and saying it looks like it is from a stage builder? I can easily zoom up some shot of some other stages and they would easily look like it is made from a stage builder. That's what I'm saying.

We haven't even seen the whole thing yet you're judging some portion of the stage and saying it looks like it is from a stage builder? I can easily zoom up some shot of some other stages and they would easily look like it is made from a stage builder. That's what I'm saying.

Other stages don't have that ugly generic spring tho, bro.

Kouriozan

It literally just looks like more of a stage builder stage with kid icarus 'theme' than a well-crafted stage based on an existing franchise.

Maybe you can choose almost any available stage background for the stage editor this time.
Or you can customize them.

That spring is throwing me off. It's the only thing keeping me from saying it's for sure from KI. But if it is KI, then it's just empty because Palutena's dungeon is barren. And I think that spike ball is definitely Kirby.

Maybe you can choose almost any available stage background for the stage editor this time.
Or you can customize them.

Wouldn't that be dreamy.

I'm gonna assume stage editor is garbage until we have clear confirmation that it's not.

And even then I'll assume it's shit just to avoid being let down like with Brawl.

DaBoss

The way the stage is set up is unique to Smash too lol.

It isn't some flat platform with random stuff there.
That portion of the stage looks like it's from stage builder. That's what he's saying.
And I'm saying that is silly to say. Nearly any stage can look like it came from some stage builder zoomed up enough.

His gripe with the stage clearly stems from the fact of how it looks in the source game.
Other stages don't have that ugly generic spring tho, bro.
Well he was referring to the whole stage with the stage builder comment. Not just the spring.
That spring is throwing me off. It's the only thin keeping me from saying it's for sure from KI. But if it is KI, then it's just empty because Palutena's dungeon is barren. And I think that spike ball is definitely Kirby.
Oh lol, that definitely could be Kirby.

Galaxy stage has random platforms, but I feel you bra. This stage feels very cut and paste, and if it is a kidicarus stagethen there were so many other options to choose so it wouldn't look generic.

Those are actual galaxy platforms though, you can actually find the grates with coloured borders in galaxy games.

That spring? that's just a lazy SSE spring put in a place where you should have a pink glowing jump pad.

Donkey Kong's was definitely the strangest. Who even gives a shit about Donkey Konga? Why the hell was his final smash not just Snake's but with barrels instead of grenades while the arcade Donkey Kong music played?

Like the guy before me said: DK is not the OG Donkey Kong so it wouldn't be consistent but what I hope is that DK gets a Rambi final smash, since it just seems a little unlikely for Rambo crate to be an item, since we've never had ridable items or assists before.

Azure J

This is great, and I'm completely convinced it's Palutena's Temple. I'm liking all the comparisons!

Oh, and Smashboards reverting back to its theme from 12 years ago is awesome.

Wait, wha

*Goes to look*

This is incredible and makes me feel old as fuck at the same time. :lol

Yeah I really hope it's a picture of a stage builder stage or something similar. It looks really generic and... well, just bad when compared to your typical official stage.

Tomohawk

Those are actual galaxy platforms though, you can actually find the grates with coloured borders in galaxy games.

That spring? that's just a lazy SSE spring put in a place where you should have a pink glowing jump pad.

Ya but i kind of felt they clashed with the stage. the kid icarus stage is worse though.

georly

Why are you even showing Battlefield? That isn't based off a game.
Play Kid Icarus Uprising and you'll see that the stage looks like that. Play Super Mario Galaxy and you'll see the stage looks like that as well. And you're using Super Mario Galaxy as an example to compare which is one of the most unique stages in the games along with the Pilotwings stage.
We haven't even seen the whole thing yet you're judging some portion of the stage and saying it looks like it is from a stage builder? I can easily zoom up some shot of some other stages and they would easily look like it is made from a stage builder.

And I'm saying that is silly to say. Nearly any stage can look like it came from some stage builder zoomed up enough.

The point of my previous post is that battlefield and mario galaxy can in no-way looks like they came from a stage editor, no matter how close you zoom in. I'm trying to see if any stage from smash 4 looks like they could have been done with some 'stage editor' and honestly, none of them do. I mean, look: http://smashbros-miiverse.com/stages - MAYBE the sonic stage, because it has a windmill? But that's pushing it. MAAAAAAAAAAAAAYBE arena ferox?

Today's picture looks like it could have been made with some generic stage editing tools rather than something that was lovingly crafted by a group of talented artists. It really has nothing to do about the game it is inspired by, as this one is clearly inspired by kid icarus.

I mean, look at the red circle below:

That just looks like a platform block placed above an existing platform, rather than something that transitions seamlessly. It literally just looks like one block in an editor placed above another platform in an editor.

I mean, look at the palutena statue on the KI:U stage on Wii U

The platform with columns are recessed into the background a bit, and dont look like a block placed on top of another block with some editor tool. Compare the overall differences in detail (Colosseum in the background, different symbols and patterns in the inlaid work on the platform above the columns, etc), and tell me which one of the two could be made with some simple level editing tools and which one had to be hand-crafted.

That's really the overall point i'm making. Today's picture looks like it was made using a toolset for a stage editor, whereas every stage we've seen prior to today looks like it took artists and programmers weeks and weeks to create. My argument is that it is far more likely today's stage is a stage created by some 'stage builder' than part of the kid icarus stage.

Disclaimer: I could be very wrong, but if I am, this makes me a bit disappointed in the KI stage on Wii U.

I mean, the spring has an Uprising analogue, but instead they used a generic stage builder spring. That's either a custom stage or lazy stage design.

Tyeforce

I don't understand the hate of Donkey Kong's Final Smash. I think it's one of the more appropriate Final Smashes. Bongos have become an important aspect of the Donkey Kong franchise. The GameCube era was all about the DK Bongos, and Donkey Kong used bongos in Donkey Kong 64, too. I can't really think of anything better to replace his Final Smash with. Throwing barrels is technically a Cranky Kong thing, as it's been mentioned, and not really representative of modern Donkey Kong at all. I suppose Rambi is an option, but that doesn't really feel as appropriate as a Final Smash to me.

Ryce

I'm 99% sure the pic of the day is just the interior of the Kid Icarus stage. "One of the stages" isn't the kind of language you'd use to refer to a custom stage. Sure, Sakurai likes to have fun, but he's never "lied" in the pic of the day descriptions like that.

I also think the Kid Icarus stage will be a vertical platformer referencing the gameplay of the original NES game. It'll be this game's Icicle Mountain/Rumble Falls.

I don't have to tools to do this with a visual aid right now, but I'm pretty sure the stage in the pic opens up at the top. At the top of the pic, to the right and up from Villager's head, there's a corner that makes it look like the stage opens up and there's more room to fight up above.

Can someone who sees what I'm talking about circle it or something?

I'm 99% sure the pic of the day is just the interior of the Kid Icarus stage. "One of the stages" isn't the kind of language you'd use to refer to a custom stage. Sure, Sakurai likes to have fun, but he's never "lied" in the pic of the day descriptions like that.

I also think the Kid Icarus stage will be a vertical platformer referencing the gameplay of the original NES game. It'll be this game's Icicle Mountain/Rumble Falls.

I really like this idea as an homage to the OG Kid Icarus mixed with Uprising aesthetics if done better than rumble falls, BUT the thing that makes me think it is just a really huge stage is that Sakurai randomly namedropped a "shrine" stage using it as an example of what the differences between the specific platform versions would be like, stating that "the huge shrine stage could never work on 3DS because of the small screen and zoomed out camera", so the 3DS stages are smaller and more focused and some of the Wii U stages can be huge and expansive. Wish I could provide a source link but gotta go to work. Will try later if you can't find.

Anyway: I think we may be looking at the new Hyrule temple like stage, fellas. HYPE

The fact that the Kid Icarus stage might seem lesser in quality compared to the other stages probably has to do with 3DS geometry being reused for the Wii U version.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I really like this idea as an homage to the OG Kid Icarus mixed with Uprising aesthetics if done better than rumble falls, BUT the thing that makes me think it is just a really huge stage is that Sakurai randomly namedropped a "shrine" stage using it as an example of what the differences between the specific platform versions would be like, stating that "the huge shrine stage could never work on 3DS because of the small screen and zoomed out camera", so the 3DS stages are smaller and more focused and some of the Wii U stages can be huge and expansive. Wish I could provide a source link but gotta go to work. Will try later if you can't find.

Anyway: I think we may be looking at the new Hyrule temple like stage, fellas. HYPE

I remembered that article, and I agreed with you that it's more likely to be Palutena's Temple. Here's a link

I still think that Palutena's Temple have potential to be one of huge stages in Super Smash Bros 4. Also I don't mind to see this stage being vertical scrolling stage as well. Either way, it would work for me. I'm pretty hyped about Palutena's Temple.

I still hope that The Hyrule Temple is coming back as well.

DaBoss

I think they should have just changed up the design of the jump pad to make it look more like a spring or something.

The generic spring is bad.
So your problem comes from the fact the stages' colors and textures aren't nice and that the stage could recreated in a stage builder if all of those assets were there? You have to realize how silly that sounds. That can apply to many stages.

If the main platform asset for Battlefield was in, I could definitely make it in a stage builder.

Then there is the fact the stage actually has a pretty unique platform structure compared to any other stage, but because it could be made in a stage builder (like many other stages), you're writing it off?

I really can't say much more than that lol.

EDIT: You know the fact that the background fully connects with the stage means it can't be a custom stage.

The textures have some details that come from the walls of Kid Icarus Uprising's temple which would be more detail than needed for some stage builder.

Buy my intent was never to prove that the stage is indeed a real stage.

EDIT2: I think I see what you're saying regarding the columns. You're saying the base doesn't have a square or rectangular shape to hold it?

Pillars don't need to have that.

RomanceDawn

Where do people get the idea that Donkey Kong does not throw barrels anymore?

Right?! Hahaha!

I think it would be a perfect final smash that pays homage to all Donkey Kongs.

I'd love for this Palutena stage to be the new Hyrule Temple, but as long as it isn't the new New Pork City it doesn't matter what it is.

Ryce

BUT the thing that makes me think it is just a really huge stage is that Sakurai randomly namedropped a "shrine" stage using it as an example of what the differences between the specific platform versions would be like, stating that "the huge shrine stage could never work on 3DS because of the small screen and zoomed out camera", so the 3DS stages are smaller and more focused and some of the Wii U stages can be huge and expansive.
"Shrine" is what the Temple stage is called in Japan. The Japanese word translates both ways. Sakurai was just saying that stages like the Hyrule Temple wouldn't work on the 3DS -- he wasn't hinting at a new stage.

"Shrine" is what the Temple stage is called in Japan. The Japanese word translates both ways. Sakurai was just saying that stages like the Hyrule Temple wouldn't work on the 3DS -- he wasn't hinting at a new stage.

OOOOOOH. I trust that what you say is true. It would kind of make sense for the next Hyrule temple like stage to be Palutena's temple though, huh?

BELIEVE!

god, you twerps have me saying things like that now. Lol

georly

All I'm trying to say is that I hope this is representation of the new fancy stage builder, rather than a part of the kid icarus stage. I think a few bits of the level, the spring, the spike ball, the way the platforms look like they're placed there haphazardly, make it seem like a fancy stage builder level, and not something that was sculpted and created to be a unique level in smash. The geometry is very square and rudimentary, the tiles repeat very uniformly, nothing about this stage is very impressive, visually or aesthetically.

The fact that anyone is even mentioning that this could possibly be a part of the new stage builder (where that comment has not been uttered before in any other stage reveal) means it's that if it's *NOT* a stage-builder level, then it's pretty underwhelming. At the very least, it could be part of the new adventure mode.

In fact, today's screenshot somewhat reminds me of the adventure mode screenshot we got. Pretty background. Lackluster, foreground.

EDIT: You know the fact that the background fully connects with the stage means it can't be a custom stage.

The only part that connects to the ACTUAL foreground is the ceiling, so I do not deny the possibility that this is, in-fact, part of a bigger level, and not actually a level-editor. That said, it's not too far fetched to assume it could be some crazy improvement made to the level editor.

I think I see what you're saying regarding the columns. You're saying the base doesn't have a square or rectangular shape to hold it?

I just meant it felt like it was a 'block' with 'column designs' placed on top of the existing platform below it (which extends through the edge of the screen). Compare today's shot with something like Hyrule Temple where the columns feel connected to the stage, and not like they're part of a tileset placed on top of another tileset.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
This is great, and I'm completely convinced it's Palutena's Temple. I'm liking all the comparisons!

Oh, and Smashboards reverting back to its theme from 12 years ago is awesome.

So this is what smashboards looked like in the beginning

We've already seen pictures of the same stages with differing platform layouts. Is it possible that the new Stage Builder lets you customize existing stages, or at least use them as a base? Just speculating.

Pociask

The point of my previous post is that battlefield and mario galaxy can in no-way looks like they came from a stage editor, no matter how close you zoom in. I'm trying to see if any stage from smash 4 looks like they could have been done with some 'stage editor' and honestly, none of them do. I mean, look: http://smashbros-miiverse.com/stages - MAYBE the sonic stage, because it has a windmill? But that's pushing it. MAAAAAAAAAAAAAYBE arena ferox?

Today's picture looks like it could have been made with some generic stage editing tools rather than something that was lovingly crafted by a group of talented artists. It really has nothing to do about the game it is inspired by, as this one is clearly inspired by kid icarus.

I mean, look at the red circle below:

That just looks like a platform block placed above an existing platform, rather than something that transitions seamlessly. It literally just looks like one block in an editor placed above another platform in an editor.

I mean, look at the palutena statue on the KI:U stage on Wii U

The platform with columns are recessed into the background a bit, and dont look like a block placed on top of another block with some editor tool. Compare the overall differences in detail (Colosseum in the background, different symbols and patterns in the inlaid work on the platform above the columns, etc), and tell me which one of the two could be made with some simple level editing tools and which one had to be hand-crafted.

That's really the overall point i'm making. Today's picture looks like it was made using a toolset for a stage editor, whereas every stage we've seen prior to today looks like it took artists and programmers weeks and weeks to create. My argument is that it is far more likely today's stage is a stage created by some 'stage builder' than part of the kid icarus stage.

Disclaimer: I could be very wrong, but if I am, this makes me a bit disappointed in the KI stage on Wii U.

I see where you're coming from on this, but I feel like the spike ball and spring (both of which could be items?) are throwing this off. We do see that long corridor from an angle where we can't see down it - and there appear to be some kind of row of statutes. Perhaps some kind of hazard will periodically erupt from there?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
We've already seen pictures of the same stages with differing platform layouts. Is it possible that the new Stage Builder lets you customize existing stages, or at least use them as a base? Just speculating.

Well, I speculated same thing long time ago in old thread. If I recalled correctly, here is a summary of what I speculated in old thread.

1. It's possible that Sakurai created two different layouts per stage where we could choose based on our preference
2. It's possible that we would able to load the original stage or customized stage that we modified.

georly

I see where you're coming from on this, but I feel like the spike ball and spring (both of which could be items?) are throwing this off. We do see that long corridor from an angle where we can't see down it - and there appear to be some kind of row of statutes. Perhaps some kind of hazard will periodically erupt from there?

Who knows. This very well could be a real part of the KI stage for all I know :) I'm fine if that's the case, I guess. Today is just the first time i've looked at a screen for a stage and said 'Wait, is that a kid icarus stage, or is that the new stage builder?'

If that is actually from the Kid Icarus stage then that is disappointing as heck because that is the blandest looking stage shown so far by a landslide.

Top Bottom