• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 7: How Can My Smash Brother Be This Cut

I think my first character will be Little Mac. Just looks so fun to use and seems like he'd be easy to dominate with among a group of people all playing for the first time. And the glory of potentially landing the one-hit KO is too much to pass up.

edit- I have 4 best buys within 20 minutes of me :) Living in the sprawling suburb that is LA has its perks.

georly

and I really doubt they will hand a in-develpment-game demo to best buy, that build has to be stable or else they'll will have a bunch of lined up people really mad... so, I don't see why they couldn't upload a demo with timed access, namco does that already... but if they did, nobody would show up at best buy... so that's why
What i mean by in-development-game demo is that SMASH is still in development, the demo isn't.

I'm sure it'll be as stable as nintendo can make it, but if anything *DOES* happen, like a crash, or something, a nintendo rep is there to handle the PR as well as resetting the demo unit. It's in a controlled environment.

If the demo is released to EVERY SINGLE WII U OWNER the chances of a bug/glitch/crash being found increase exponentially. The chances of the bug/crash/glitch being posted on the internet increase exponentially. Nintendo doesn't want to risk anything tarnishing their game. That's all i mean.

daripad

Guys, we'll finally know if the roster has unlockables or not. If t does, we won't know the final roster till release. If it doesn't we might have the whole roster at E3 :O

georly

Guys, we'll finally know if the roster has unlockables or not. If t does, we won't know the final roster till release. If it doesn't we might have the whole roster at E3 :O

We probably won't ACTUALLY know unless they outright confirm it verbally. Demo roster doesn't necessarily mean starting roster.

Anth0ny

In-development-game-demos will never be available for download by nintendo. They can't risk bugs/crashes being discovered and tarnishing the quality of their game before release. It's an image thing.

last year the logic was "get them into the stores, show them a bunch of awesome wii u games coming soon, and maybe they'll walk out with a wii u!"

wii u sold something like 42k in june 2013 lol

Unrelated to the E3 demo, but I noticed that Sakurai never referred to Lucario's Mega Evolution as his final smash. Perhaps it's a feature of the character (as well as Charizard) that is separate from their final smash move? I could see a system where every minute of combat racks up three seconds of a Mega Evolution that can be used by pressing their up-taunt or something.

The brawl demo had playable sonic IIRC yet in the final version he was locked

If Megaman is there I'm playing him, have to

Isotope

Unrelated to the E3 demo, but I noticed that Sakurai never referred to Lucario's Mega Evolution as his final smash. Perhaps it's a feature of the character (as well as Charizard) that is separate from their final smash move? I could see a system where every minute of combat racks up three seconds of a Mega Evolution that can be used by pressing their up-taunt or something.

IIRC, during the Smash Direct, the screen didn't darken when Lucario was in Mega Evolution, but it did darken during Charizard's. Maybe if Lucario gets hit enough, or uses enough Aura attacks, you'll be able to go Mega?

IIRC, during the Smash Direct, the screen didn't darken when Lucario was in Mega Evolution, but it did darken during Charizard's. Maybe if Lucario gets hit enough, or uses enough Aura attacks, you'll be able to go Mega?

I got the feeling Mega Charizard was on a dark map not that the screen dimmed for it. Part of me feels like it should be final smash it makes the most sense, but Sakurai specificed everything else that was a changed final smash. Will assume its just final smash until we know for sure

Kriken

last year the logic was "get them into the stores, show them a bunch of awesome wii u games coming soon, and maybe they'll walk out with a wii u!"

wii u sold something like 42k in june 2013 lol

I'm looking at the NPD thread for June last year, the Wii U lineup back then was garbage, I guarantee with MK8 spilling over into June, the Wii U sales will get closer, if not surpass 100k and Nintendo heads will pat themselves on the back thinking it was Smash Bros that did it

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Wow, I had a premonition last night. I dreamt that I was playing a demo of the game on my Wii U via a generic-looking disc. Well, that was the gist of it. The complete dream was really weird.

LaNaranja

In-development-game-demos will never be available for download by nintendo. They can't risk bugs/crashes being discovered and tarnishing the quality of their game before release. It's an image thing.

Yup. Remember what happened to PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale when the beta came out? Everything was leaked. People can't be trusted with these things.

Anyway, does this mean we will officially have all the characters announced before the smash tourney? And are they going to have a presence at Evo 2014 or is this there way of giving the community something to make up for not going to Vegas?

-Horizon-

Anyone think Final Smashes could be 'customizable' as well?
EVERYONE GETS A LANDMASTER!

i9oCYab6nuzME.gif

Yup. Remember what happened to PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale when the beta came out? Everything was leaked. People can't be trusted with these things.

Anyway, does this mean we will officially have all the characters announced before the smash tourney? And are they going to have a presence at Evo 2014 or is this there way of giving the community something to make up for not going to Vegas?

No the e3 tourney build will probably have a mix of confirmed vets and newcomers perhaps a few more then the best buy builds. No way they'll reveal the entire roster for an e3 invitational tournament

SkyOdin

We probably won't ACTUALLY know unless they outright confirm it verbally. Demo roster doesn't necessarily mean starting roster.

It depends on what kind of demo it is. I saw two different demos for Smash Bros. Brawl. One was the E for All demo, which had its selection of previously-announced characters, but no where near the final roster. However, when they were demoing the game at GDC closer to release, the build was pretty much the final release build. I know this because the people running the demo booth had to keep reseting the machines because enough matches were being played to unlock Ness. The "Here Comes a New Challenger!" screen would pop up and they would rush to reset the Wii.

So it entirely comes down to whether they are using a special demo build or just an early version of the game's release code. Considering how close the 3DS version of Smash is to release, it is entirely possible that a 3DS demo could be using near-final code, including full starting roster and unlockables (just hidden away from the E3 attendees). The Wii U version will more likely be using specially-made demo code.

Anth0ny

I wish they'd take the extra effort to polish the demo and actually sell it for $20 or $30 to the diehards who can't wait to play.

If Konami can get away with it...

Kriken

I wish they'd take the extra effort to polish the demo and actually sell it for $20 or $30 to the diehards who can't wait to play.

Nintendo will be putting out their first game with a season pass this Friday. Wait another 3 years for Super Smash Bros 6 demo for 4DS/Revolution

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm hoping the Smash Invitational Tournament is a sign that they are embracing the competitive community.

Smash Wii U/3DS @ EVO2K14!

-Horizon-

Sakurai is the hero we deserve but not the one we need right now, so we'll accept Kojima's antics for now.

SoldnerKei

well, instead of a demo I would be happy with an open beta, that way they don't have to compromise that much with the product if that was their biggest concern about releasing a digital demo

if they really have in mind to, finally, make smash competitive, they need balance testing, and break-game players are the best for that task, I am pretty sure we don't want another solo SS tier level character, so, an open beta or at least a patch from time to time is needed

Azure J

OK SmashGAF, let's play a game. Create a roster for a demo version that:

1. You'd play the fuck out of.
2. You think hits enough notes to sell the game as it is mechanically but keeps enough content out for the proper release.

I'd pick Mario, Luigi, Link, Samus, Kirby, Fox, Pit, Donkey Kong, Pikachu, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Megaman, & Rosalina.

EhoaVash

nice I hope the tourney as actual real good smash players ant not just treehouse/press folks.

also considering that last year the closest best buy to have the E3 demo was more than a hour away, totally NOT worth it imo

KHlover

Banned

2. You think hits enough notes to sell the game as it is mechanically but keeps enough content out for the proper release.

I'd pick Mario, Luigi, Link, Samus, Kirby, Fox, Pit, Donkey Kong, Pikachu, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Megaman, & Rosalina.

The eight original characters, Marth, Olimar, Rosalina&Luma, Little Mac

Kriken

All I need are the original 12, I can wait to mess around with the newcomers when the actual game comes out

Anth0ny

I'm hoping the Smash Invitational Tournament is a sign that they are embracing the competitive community.

Smash Wii U/3DS @ EVO2K14!

I already had a feeling it would happen, but now I have to imagine Smash 4 will also be playable at MLG and Evo thanks to today's news.

Only stage is Battlefield. Only mode is vs. mode. Time or Stock match only, item switch available.

Characters:

Mario
Link
Fox
Pikachu
Villager
Wii Fit Trainer
Rosalina
Greninja

I don't think you can give too many characters for an actual demo that would be playable at home. Also, Mega Man you gotta save for the real game.

I'm expecting the playable build at E3 to have all the stages/characters we've seen so far playable. Should be awesome.

DaBoss

Let's get this misconception out of the way. :p

Final Smashes that don't have the screen go dark are Wario Man and Giga Bowser. Now what does that mean for Mega Lucario? He will be freely controllable while Mega Charizard will probably be like Yoshi's or Diddy's.

Ryce

Let's get this misconception out of the way. :p

Final Smashes that don't have the screen go dark are Wario Man and Giga Bowser. Now what does that mean for Mega Lucario? He will be freely controllable while Mega Charizard will probably be like Yoshi's or Diddy's.
That doesn't really make any sense, though. Mega Evolutions all behave the same way in X/Y. If Charizard's was a Yoshi/Diddy-style Final Smash, then he would revert back to regular Charizard in a matter of seconds. That goes against the entire concept of Mega Evolving -- it's supposed to last for the duration of the battle.

For all we know, Mega Evolutions could be universally triggered like a Smash Taunt, and the reason Mega Charizard has a dark background is because he's using his Final Smash on top of having Mega Evolved.

justchris

That doesn't really make any sense, though. Mega Evolutions all behave the same way in X/Y. If Charizard's was a Yoshi/Diddy-style Final Smash, then he would revert back to regular Charizard in a matter of seconds. That goes against the entire concept of Mega Evolving -- it's supposed to last for the duration of the battle.

It's a good thing this is a Pokemon game where everything works like it does in Pokemon.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Mario Kart 7 style demo - back to the original eight:

Mario, Link, Pikachu, Kirby, DK, Samus, Yoshi, Fox

SmithnCo

For all we know, Mega Evolutions could be universally triggered like a Smash Taunt, and the reason Mega Charizard has a dark background is because he's using his Final Smash on top of having Mega Evolved.

I wouldn't be surprised if they bent the rules for the sake of gameplay.

Ryce

It's a good thing this is a Pokemon game where everything works like it does in Pokemon.
It doesn't have to work like it does in Pokémon, but it makes sense that a specific concept would function similarly between two characters. There's no reason to give Lucario a Mega Evolution that's faithful to the source material while giving Charizard an inaccurate temporary one. They're both reflective of the same game mechanic.

DaBoss

It doesn't have to work like it does in Pokémon, but it makes sense that a specific concept would function similarly between two characters. There's no reason to give Lucario a Mega Evolution that's faithful to the source material while giving Charizard an inaccurate temporary one. They're both reflective of the same game mechanic.
I think you misunderstood my post?

I'm saying Mega Lucario would be like Wario Man and Giga Bowser while Mega Charizard will be like Diddy's and Yoshi's. I don't see how making them control differently somehow becomes less faithful to the source material. It is not a Pokemon game and does not need to adhere to the rules of Pokemon games. It probably won't even do mega evolutions like the games, but instead be like Mewtwo in that Pokemon movie.

And a mid-game taunt/transformation that makes the character more powerful? No way that is happening unless it is a final smash. And then last the rest of the game/life? No way that is happening either.

Top Bottom