• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 7: How Can My Smash Brother Be This Cut

I don't know how people realistically think Mega Evolutions are anything other than a Final Smash. They're a powerup that can be toggled on, and even toggled off in-game, albeit there's usually not a reason to. The gameplay purists that think it'd be against canon for them to be temporary Final Smashes seem to be forgetting that Mega Evolutions need to be activated by Trainers in the first place. Maybe their Final Smash variants are initiated by the Pokemon themselves, and as a result can only be sustained for a short time?

OK SmashGAF, let's play a game. Create a roster for a demo version that:

1. You'd play the fuck out of.
2. You think hits enough notes to sell the game as it is mechanically but keeps enough content out for the proper release.

I'd pick Mario, Luigi, Link, Samus, Kirby, Fox, Pit, Donkey Kong, Pikachu, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Megaman, & Rosalina.

1) Mega man (projectile based)
2)Charizard (slow and heavy)
3)Mario (all-around)
4)Sonic (fast and light)

Covers most of the bases of character types while using some of the absolute most iconic characters in gaming. And keeps a very large portion of the roster a tantalizing mystery until release.

I don't know how people realistically think Mega Evolutions are anything other than a Final Smash. They're a powerup that can be toggled on, and even toggled off in-game, albeit there's usually not a reason to. The gameplay purists that think it'd be against canon for them to be temporary Final Smashes seem to be forgetting that Mega Evolutions need to be activated by Trainers in the first place. Maybe their Final Smash variants are initiated by the Pokemon themselves, and as a result can only be sustained for a short time?

I'm skeptical that they're final smashes for two reasons:

1) Sakurai never referred to mega evolutions as final smashes in the direct, although he clearly stated the final smashes for Rosalina, Little Mac, Samus, Kirby, Pit and Mega Man.

2) Little Mac's one-hit KO mechanic kind of opened Pandora's box in regard to characters having unique attributes aside from their normal attacks and final smashes. Although he said Little Mac is the only character with that particular mechanic, a mega evolution is different from a one-hit KO punch.

edit- sorry for double post :/

We know that each stage of the 3DS version has 2 songs, and the Wii U version has a music selector. Do you guys think there'll be tracks from the 3DS version that overlap into the Wii U version, aside from the main theme and menu music?

georly

We know that each stage of the 3DS version has 2 songs, and the Wii U version has a music selector. Do you guys think there'll be tracks from the 3DS version that overlap into the Wii U version, aside from the main theme and menu music?

No reason not to include them, if they are appropriate, but who knows. If I had to guess, they'll be entirely different minus the battlefield/Final destination themes.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
All Pokémon in Smash come from Pokéballs in their introductions. If you wanna be that anal about canonicity you can argue that an off-screen trainer is the one that initiates Mega Evolutions.

Berordn

With exceptions for any song that's intrinsically tied to stages and thusly not represented well in the Wii U version (like Tortimer Island's minigame theme, or anything from Nintendogs), I'd actually be really surprised if they didn't find a way to sneak most of the tracks in. Almost every Melee track made its way into Brawl, so...

So excited for E3. I really want this next month and a half to zip by. As has been said before on here, guess it shows Smash definitely seems confirmed for 2014 now, we shouldn't be seeing it any later if they're ready to demo it. Around E3 we should have a good idea how a lot of stuff works like when they demoed Brawl and got a chunk of information and footage.

Gutted since I'm sure they won't do anything like this in Europe. I might see if I can express my interest to see if they're planning on touring the UK or anything. Maybe set up a petition.

Neiteio

How hype would this be?

- NEWCOMER: Palutena -- A hovering staff-and-shield user who fires rays of light, zips around on grind-rails and conjures up Centurions.
- Chaos Kin is the boss hazard for Palutena's Temple on WiiU, possessing players and fleeing when in trouble.
- Lightning Battle is the second Kid Icarus stage on WiiU, with Phosphora and Thanatos stage hazards, and running commentary from the gods.
- Medusa's Castle is the second Kid Icarus stage on 3DS, complementing Palutena's Temple on WiiU. It features the Underworld Gatekeeper as the boss hazard.
- Cragalanche is the boss hazard for the Reset Bomb Forest on 3DS, his weak spot located on his bottom.
- NEWCOMER: Medusa -- Wields a staff and fires magic with petrifying properties. For her Final Smash, her head flies around in monster form.
- Sakurai strongly hints that there may be one more newcomer from Kid Icarus, with clues that all but confirm Hades.
- Assist Trophies are also shown, including Magnus & Gaol, a two-in-one AT where Gaol fires magic from afar and Magnus fights with his club up close.
- Another Assist Trophy is the Eggplant Wizard, who turns players into walking eggplants who can't fight and must run.
- A variant of the above AT is the Tempura Wizard, who turns players into fried shrimp and then chases them down for a OHKO.
- Yet another Assist Trophy is the sun god, Pyrrhon, who flies around the stage torching players while cracking one-liners.

The above is all unveiled in a two-in-one newcomer trailer during Nintendo's E3 Digital Event.

Other newcomers receive their own trailers during the E3 Digital Event:

- Shulk, from Xenoblade
- Ridley, from Metroid
- Pac-Man, from Pac-Man

After the E3 Digital Event, but before the tournament, a sixth newcomer is shown: Mii! You can play as any Mii on your 3DS or WiiU.

A number of veterans are also confirmed:

- Wario
- Ice Climbers
- Captain Falcon
- Ness
- R.O.B.
- Mr. Game & Watch
- Mewtwo
- Snake

All of the above characters are available in the tournament, alongside the characters previously announced. More newcomers and veterans are promised.

Caladrius

Or a demo...That woud easily last me.

But then you would be burnt out on Smash before the game came out.

How hype would this be?

- NEWCOMER: Palutena -- A hovering staff-and-shield user who fires rays of light, zips around on grind-rails and conjures up Centurions.
- Chaos Kin is the boss hazard for Palutena's Temple on WiiU, possessing players and fleeing when in trouble.
- Lightning Battle is the second Kid Icarus stage on WiiU, with Phosphora and Thanatos stage hazards, and running commentary from the gods.
- Medusa's Castle is the second Kid Icarus stage on 3DS, complementing Palutena's Temple on WiiU. It features the Underworld Gatekeeper as the boss hazard.
- Cragalanche is the boss hazard for the Reset Bomb Forest on 3DS, his weak spot located on his bottom.
- NEWCOMER: Medusa -- Wields a staff and fires magic with petrifying properties. For her Final Smash, her head flies around in monster form.
- Sakurai strongly hints that there may be one more newcomer from Kid Icarus, with clues that all but confirm Hades.
- Assist Trophies are also shown, including Magnus & Gaol, a two-in-one AT where Gaol fires magic from afar and Magnus fights with his club up close.
- Another Assist Trophy is the Eggplant Wizard, who turns players into walking eggplants who can't fight and must run.
- A variant of the above AT is the Tempura Wizard, who turns players into fried shrimp and then chases them down for a OHKO.
- Yet another Assist Trophy is the sun god, Pyrrhon, who flies around the stage torching players while cracking one-liners.

The above is all unveiled in a two-in-one newcomer trailer during Nintendo's E3 Digital Event.

- Shulk, from Xenoblade
- Ridley, from Metroid
- Pac-Man, from Pac-Man

After the E3 Digital Event, but before the tournament, a sixth newcomer is shown: Mii! You can play as any Mii on your 3DS or WiiU.

- Wario
- Ice Climbers
- Captain Falcon
- Ness
- R.O.B.
- Mr. Game & Watch
- Mewtwo
- Snake

All of the above characters are available in the tournament, alongside the characters previously announced. More newcomers and veterans are promised.

This is fantastic.

Which is why it won't happen.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
i4w7LI7ba0OHC.gif

I hear the metroid power up jingle

Neiteio

The best way to reveal Ridley now would be for Sakurai to face the winner of the tournament... and Sakurai uses Ridley, who wasn't on the character select screen previously.

He then annihilates his challenger, complete with taunts like, "Come on, my hit box is huuuge, why can't you hit me?"

GamerJM

Banned
The best way to reveal Ridley now would be for Sakurai to face the winner of the tournament... and Sakurai uses Ridley, who wasn't on the character select screen previously.

He then annihilates his challenger, complete with taunts like, "Come on, my hit box is huuuge, why can't you hit me?"

What about this?

Sakurai vs. M2K

Sakurai uses
Mewtwo

Here's one:

What if the "Summer 2014" date was so vague yet so relatively close (that is, they could have given a month if it's as close as Summer) due to a planned secret release following the conclusion of one of the E3 Directs, like a cross between Nintendo's surprise post-Direct digital game releases and the Sega Saturn surprise E3 launch? E3 takes place during the summer, after all, and it seems right about far enough away to not warrant a specified month, or the month of the release might give it away too much.

This is mostly baseless hype speculation, but I'm posting it here for posterity in case I somehow manage to be accurate....

How hype would this be?

- Shulk, from Xenoblade
- Ridley, from Metroid
- Pac-Man, from Pac-Man

- Wario
- Ice Climbers
- Captain Falcon
- Ness
- R.O.B.
- Mr. Game & Watch
- Mewtwo
- Snake

I NEED this to happen despite some of those being super unlikely. Looking forward to hearing people's impressions. I remember something similar happening for Brawl and we got word in Meta Knight's badass voice and victory theme.

The funny thing is, I had a dream the other night where I was able to get into some kind of public beta test and Sakurai was there and he revealed the new stage builder on Wii U, it was so much more detailed and I remember being able to stretch and resize stage pieces. I woke up feeling excited.

Kinsei

Banned
Here's one:

What if the "Summer 2014" date was so vague yet so relatively close (that is, they could have given a month if it's as close as Summer) due to a planned secret release following the conclusion of one of the E3 Directs, like a cross between Nintendo's surprise post-Direct digital game releases and the Sega Saturn surprise E3 launch? E3 takes place during the summer, after all, and it seems right about far enough away to not warrant a specified month, or the month of the release might give it away too much.

This is mostly baseless hype speculation, but I'm posting it here for posterity in case I somehow manage to be accurate....

There's no way they could pull that off with a physical game without it being leaked. The second the release date pops up in a stores database, an employee will post it online.

Tusk

I made this gif a while ago but I forgot to post it

When this trophy popped up, I nearly fell out of my chair. Forgot that evil version existed, and was barely paying attention to the screen at that moment, then suddenly right in my face that turns around. :b

How hype would this be?

- Shulk, from Xenoblade
- Ridley, from Metroid
- Pac-Man, from Pac-Man

- Wario
- Ice Climbers
- Captain Falcon
- Ness
- R.O.B.
- Mr. Game & Watch
- Mewtwo
- Snake

This is what I'd want. We don't need all of that Uprising shit though, get that outta here.

Top Bottom