• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 7: How Can My Smash Brother Be This Cut

Jagsrock

Banned
64 Yoshi is baaaad

Super%20Smash%20Bros_Oct21%2021_42_42.jpg

Bad to the bone

I've always preferred his more dinosaur-like appearance. Looks too much like Mario in a frog-suit nowadays. His hands are too big. =/

It's because of all the eggs he's been chucking, of course.

Back when I played Brawl competitively, those things would be on the screen constantly.

Neiteio

RE: Uprising controls:

Use your pinkies to balance the system. I play without the stand, and with 3D on full blast. I'm using an XL. It works fine.

Be sure to dial up the turning and aiming speed, and max out the stopping for each. This way you have super-precise control with quick flicks/taps of the touchscreen. We're talking like KBM levels of twitch-action here. Along with the "tap Circle Pad to dash/dodge/charge shot" function, the control scheme comes together so beautifully...

Except for scrolling through a list of bit-sized icons for the (optional) special powers. That feature is clumsy no matter how you approach it.

Also, UPRISING IS SO GOOD. Sakurai's masterwork. Play it!

So here's a fun question to kill some time tonight, looking back on the past Smash Bros games specifically new comers. In each version of Smash Bros including the upcoming Smash 4, what new comers were you most excited to play that you ended up not liking, and which newcomers did you not care at all about and ended up really enjoying?

Personally for me

Smash 64: Excited for Link and Samus didn't like playing as them, no interest in Jigglypuff and Falcon loved playing as them

Melee: Excited for Bowser didn't like playing as him, no interest in Ice Climbers and ended up loving to play as them

Brawl: Excited for Meta Knight and Pit didn't like playing as them, no interest in Rob and ended up loving to play as him

Currently for Smash 4: Excited for Greninja and Mega Man, no interest in WFT

Neiteio

Is Kid Icarus Uprising playstyle just like super training in pokemon XY?
Come to think of it, they do have some similarities, but in Uprising you're moving a character through dungeon-like levels, of course. You move forward and backward with the Circle Pad, you turn with the stylus, you strafe left and right with the Circle Pad, and tapping in any direction makes you dash in that direction, which also allows you to phase through incoming attacks unharmed. And if combined with a shot (the L trigger), dashing results in a special power shot, with each of the hundreds of weapons having unique shots for forward, backwards and side shots. Also, turning with the stylus is comparable to a trackball, or spinning a globe -- quick flick to the left sends the camera spinning leftward; tap again to stop it in place. Very twitchy, and allows for an amazing degree of control comparable to playing a FPS on a PC with a keyboard and mouse. It's a brilliant control scheme, but it strains the hands a bit as you acclimate to it.

Is Kid Icarus Uprising playstyle just like super training in pokemon XY?

Hand position wise I wouldsay it's very similar, but you have to be aware of a few more buttons and camera is like spinning a globe

RE: Uprising controls:

Use your pinkies to balance the system. I play without the stand, and with 3D on full blast. I'm using an XL. It works fine.

Be sure to dial up the turning and aiming speed, and max out the stopping for each. This way you have super-precise control with quick flicks/taps of the touchscreen. We're talking like KBM levels of twitch-action here. Along with the "tap Circle Pad to dash/dodge/charge shot" function, the control scheme comes together so beautifully...

Except for scrolling through a list of bit-sized icons for the (optional) special powers. That feature is clumsy no matter how you approach it.

Also, UPRISING IS SO GOOD. Sakurai's masterwork. Play it!

I don't use my pinkies personally, but the point is your right hand shouldn't be separated from the system. It should help support the system in some way. Oh and yes to all of the reccomended stopping speeds and sensitivity

So here's a fun question to kill some time tonight, looking back on the past Smash Bros games specifically new comers. In each version of Smash Bros including the upcoming Smash 4, what new comers were you most excited to play that you ended up not liking, and which newcomers did you not care at all about and ended up really enjoying?

Personally for me

Smash 64: Excited for Link and Samus didn't like playing as them, no interest in Jigglypuff and Falcon loved playing as them

Melee: Excited for Bowser didn't like playing as him, no interest in Ice Climbers and ended up loving to play as them

Brawl: Excited for Meta Knight and Pit didn't like playing as them, no interest in Rob and ended up loving to play as him

Do we have to limit it to newcomers? For me, I had no interest in Yoshi coming into Brawl and he ended up as my main.

I still don't like playing as him in 64 and Melee, by the way.

Do we have to limit it to newcomers? For me, I had no interest in Yoshi coming into Brawl and he ended up as my main.

The idea is that with vets you have an idea of how they've played before, obviously with new physics and tweaks a main can become someone you don't play or someone you don't play can become a main but that's a different question that takes a bit more time to answer.

Understand your point exactly how I felt with Mr G&W going from melee to brawl

Personally for me

Ditto on the MetaKnight and Pit part! The first time I used Pit and realized how spammy he was I thought "No, this is not ok." When I saw that Wolf was in the game, I had a lukewarm reaction. But then I played him, and it clicked perfectly for me
except for that side-B

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I'm tired of that Alfonzo thing. :x
You seem stressed. Maybe you need someone to "take over" your duty as a poster.

I'm going to come back tomorrow after everyone stops repeatedly mentioning that this is a new thread, so that we can get back to the really important topics, like what color Sakurai's shirt will be when he announces that Ridley will be a stage hazard.

You seem stressed. Maybe you need someone to "take over" your duty as a poster.

I'm going to come back tomorrow after everyone stops repeatedly mentioning that this is a new thread, so that we can get back to the really important topics, like what color Sakurai's shirt will be when he announces that Ridley will be a stage hazard.
You could just rewatch the direct

Use your pinkies to balance the system. I play without the stand, and with 3D on full blast.

This is how I play with my pinkies, minus the XL and minus the 3D.

It took me a while to get used to the controls, but the game is so worth it. Amazing gameplay and very clever dialogue.

Neiteio

Squirtle and Ivysaur will return as an Ice Climbers-style duo...

...with a buddy cop motif where Squirtle is voiced by Chris Tucker

It's bad I've rewatched that direct like 4 times, plus I've watched all of the Game Explain analysis stuff, some of it twice. I haven't even checked out any other video analysis

Personally for me

Palyed Melee at friend's house after release, but I was a pokemon fan and was excited for MEwtwo. Didn't really care for him afterwards

Loved yoshi, link, G&M, and coming back to it these days, Ness.

Indifferent when I played Lucario despite previously being hyped for him
Meh with Sonic before release, but there was a good deal of time afterwards where I mained him
Same deal with ROB

Loco4Coco

Much more precise and involved (particularly for ground segments), but at a basic level yes.

Come to think of it, they do have some similarities, but in Uprising you're moving a character through dungeon-like levels, of course. You move forward and backward with the Circle Pad, you turn with the stylus, you strafe left and right with the Circle Pad, and tapping in any direction makes you dash in that direction, which also allows you to phase through incoming attacks unharmed. And if combined with a shot (the L trigger), dashing results in a special power shot, with each of the hundreds of weapons having unique shots for forward, backwards and side shots. Also, turning with the stylus is comparable to a trackball, or spinning a globe -- quick flick to the left sends the camera spinning leftward; tap again to stop it in place. Very twitchy, and allows for an amazing degree of control comparable to playing a FPS on a PC with a keyboard and mouse. It's a brilliant control scheme, but it strains the hands a bit as you acclimate to it.

Hand position wise I wouldsay it's very similar, but you have to be aware of a few more buttons and camera is like spinning a globe

Hmm, I always wanted to get the game but something always comes up. I'll make sure to get the game for reals.

Neiteio

Hmm, I always wanted to get the game but something always comes up. I'll make sure to get the game for reals.
You'll be blown away by how good it is. You'll also be astounded by what Sakurai can do and how creative he can be. He wrote the script and the pacing, the characters, the humor, the twists and turns, the themes -- all impeccable. It makes the decision to outsource the Subspace Emissary to the FFVII writer seem like such a waste when Sakurai could've done something a trillion times better himself.

Ye. Now THAT'S a dinosaur.

Yoshi's alt:

Fangy.png

That's silly. With Sakurai's style, his shirt is going to be ALL of the colors, except for purple. He knows what purple means to the fans

Even as a left-handed player I've never had a problem with KIU's controls, to be honest. The only game I've ever really struggled with being left-handed in is Dillion's Rolling Western and even then, I thought myself to play around it. Speaking of (repeating myself), although probably a sticker, Dillion as an AT would be pretty dope in my opinion.

It's better then the old one by a country mile

It's actually worse.

Even as a left-handed player I've never had a problem with KIU's controls, to be honest. The only game I've ever really struggled with being left-handed in is Dillion's Rolling Western and even then, I thought myself to play around it. Speaking of (repeating myself), although probably a sticker, Dillion as an AT would be pretty dope in my opinion.

It's actually worse.

A good pokemon one might've been
"HEY IT'S MEWT..."

If Smash 4 does have both WFT and Chrous Guy from Rhythm Heaven I'm honestly not sure where Sakurai can even go from there to one up his "WTF" picks

Top Bottom