• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 7: How Can My Smash Brother Be This Cut

Thorakai

I'm going to come back tomorrow after everyone stops repeatedly mentioning that this is a new thread, so that we can get back to the really important topics, like what color Sakurai's shirt will be when he announces that Ridley will be a stage hazard.

why would he have a shirt on.

GamerJM

Banned
So here's a fun question to kill some time tonight, looking back on the past Smash Bros games specifically new comers. In each version of Smash Bros including the upcoming Smash 4, what new comers were you most excited to play that you ended up not liking, and which newcomers did you not care at all about and ended up really enjoying?

Personally for me

Smash 64: Excited for Link and Samus didn't like playing as them, no interest in Jigglypuff and Falcon loved playing as them

Melee: Excited for Bowser didn't like playing as him, no interest in Ice Climbers and ended up loving to play as them

Brawl: Excited for Meta Knight and Pit didn't like playing as them, no interest in Rob and ended up loving to play as him

Currently for Smash 4: Excited for Greninja and Mega Man, no interest in WFT

Smash 64: Before release I was mainly excited for Pikachu because I was in full Pokemon-crazy mode, didn't really give a shit about the other characters. I ended up liking Ness and Captain Falcon a lot though. I went back to 64 after a while and found I also like Kirby a lot in that game.

Melee: I was mostly excited for Ice Climbers and Bowser, I thought their playstyles looked interested from what I had seen in magazines (I didn't have an easy way to access the internet pre-release). Ice Climbers being in was always the most wtf to me, I remember reading about them in a magazine and thinking they were from like, Bomberman or something. I went through most of the Melee cast before settling with the Fire Emblem characters mostly, with Fox, Falco, and Link as my back-up characters.

Brawl: This is kind of weird, the initial trailer was hype as hell but the only characters I was really interested in were Snake and Meta Knight. I wasn't really thinking about what characters I wanted in or what characters I wanted to play, I spent a lot of the time pre-release lurking and reading what other people said about the game because I was mostly indifferent despite being a huge Smash fan. I was a huge fan of Ike when he got revealed and he did end up being my main. After a few years of playing on-and-off between other games I sort of got bored with him and went to just random for a while and found I really liked Game and Watch, Marth, and Toon Link.

Currently excited for: Little Mac, Villager, and Rosalina. I also think it's awesome that WFT is in the game.

If Smash 4 does have both WFT and Chrous Guy from Rhythm Heaven I'm honestly not sure where Sakurai can even go from there to one up his "WTF" picks

Off the top of my head;
-Monita
-Captain Rainbow
-Yoshi's Island Stork
-Duck Hunt Dog
-Fossil Fighters T-Rex
-Style Savvy Model
-Freaky Forms Deluxe Creature
-Pixel Mario
-Metal Mario

Sciz

New title is excellent.

If Smash 4 does have both WFT and Chrous Guy from Rhythm Heaven I'm honestly not sure where Sakurai can even go from there to one up his "WTF" picks

He'll have a few years for Nintendo to make something else way out in left field.

edit: Or he'll finally crack and dredge up Sukapon.

rawktapus

I always want to tell the GameXplain people how much I love their work, but I really don't want to post in YouTube comments. Although the comments for their videos seem better than most.
I think they got a Twitter account. Might be a good venue that's not YouTube comments.

Neiteio

why would he have a shirt on.
*Sakurai walks out onstage. Everyone puzzles over why he's shirtless.*

Sakurai: "I am pleased to announce that Ridley, the arch-nemesis of Samus Aran, is playable in the new Super Smash Bros.! To celebrate, I have tattooed him on my body."

Reporter: "Sakurai-san -- we don't see any tattoos on your chest or back."

Sakurai: "Oh Yankee, that's because I tattooed him on the biggest part of my body."

*Sakurai drops his pants and the first five rows of reporters in the Kodak Theatre are flattened by what flops out*

Sakurai: "I am pleased to announce that Ridley, the arch-nemesis of Samus Aran, is playable in the new Super Smash Bros.! To celebrate, I have tattooed him on my body."

Sakurai: "Oh Yankee, that's because I tattooed him on the biggest part of my body."

*Sakurai drops his pants and the first five rows of reporters in the Kodak Theatre are flattened by what flops out*

/dead

So do you think we'll ever see a Smash game not directed by Sakurai or will he always be attached to the series during our life time?

(5 rows worth of mesmerized reporters)/10

Loco4Coco

No wonder his wrist be acting up.

Nia

Personally, I would like the Wii U version to have a single player mode like the Adventure Mode in Melee, with the same amount of enemy variety as seen in Smash Run.

you mean that mode everyone is going to play once during launch week then never again?

wow

Ummm... I'm definitely playing lots of Smash run, don't know watchu talkin' about there. =/

Clearly you've never played City Trial in Kirby's Air-Ride.

City trials was glorious. Although I personally preferred it in free-run (or whatever the no-time alternative was called), that game existed to me only in the form of that city. I think I barely touched the main game modes =P

GamerJM

Banned
you mean that mode everyone is going to play once during launch week then never again?

wow

More like the mode people will play leading up to the release of the Wii U version and then never again. It looks like it has more staying power than most extra modes, but not something that I'll spend that much time with compared to the actual meat of the game.

Enforced

Really love kirby air ride city trails, played countless hours with my brother. I really like the meteors event. I'm really excited for smash run.

City trials was glorious. Although I personally preferred it in free-run (or whatever the no-time alternative was called), that game existed to me only in the form of that city. I think I barely touched the main game modes =P

I couldn't get my brother to do that, so we just quit and restarted again usually.

The best part about that game, I liked the races and all, but City Trial was where the fun was really at
MY DRAGOON! YOU STAY AWAY FROM THAT LAST PIECE!

Yes, I know the feeling. I loved the gameplay of the racing, but City Trial was godly.

City Trial only got so much play compared to the other modes because the other modes sucked.

They definitely didn't suck, in my opinion.

Thread 7 already, huh?

Hasn't even been a full month since the last one.

And yeah, I prefer the Ridley/Palutena one.

wow

lol

IThey definitely didn't suck, in my opinion.

The Air Ride mode had some pretty big issues (very unbalanced vehicles and some of them were just plain impossible to control without City Trial's upgrades), but I loved the Time Trials so it was worth it for me. Top Ride was good fun.

Controlling that game feels so, so good. <3

Six 20K threads later, and this game barely shows signs of any hype.

Fuckin' Nintendo.

fry-can-t-tell-meme-generator-can-t-tell-if-sarcastic-or-just-stupid-d042b1.jpg

Not

Banned
I like the title, but it made me think Ivysaur was officially confirmed not to be in or something in the last day

So after that Smashboarder's analysis video posted last thread, I am pretty sold on hit stun not being cancelable and ending only after the white smoke trails dissipate. Especially considering how quickly we see characters air dodging when thrown or hit with weak attacks. (no smoke then)

This hypes me beyond belief if true. The amount of moveset tweaks and outright changes snuck into the smash direct is crazy and awesome too. Thanks again, DaBoss for your expert analysis. I haven't added the Bowser stuff yet, but I shall.

Top Bottom