• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread XV: Kübler-Ross Edition

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting description of Pac-Man. I'd figure that the most effective way to handle his movement would be through his attacks (side-b/dash-attack).

Kyzon

Can someone please explain to me what a "ledge snap" is? Apparently that's a good thing!

In melee you know how you have to be falling more or less to grab a ledge and in brawl you magnetize to the ledge from a good distance?

Those are examples of ledge snap

Okay guys, I played competitive Melee but not Brawl. I don't remember any "ledge snap" in the community jargon back then. Someone get me up to speed please. What is it and why is it better for us competitively that it's been reduced/drawn back?
EDIT: By a split second.

Revven

Can someone please explain to me what a "ledge snap" is? Apparently that's a good thing!

Basically, I'm pretty sure he's talking about a character's ledge grab range. In Brawl, every character had an insane ledge grab range and people tended to call it "magnetic hands". Even though you looked to be far away from the ledge (to the point of not grabbing it) you actually would still grab it. It made recovering way too lenient and you can even see some examples of this happening in the E3 builds of Smash 4.

I'm a little skeptical its been reduced cast-wide to the amount of distance a character grabs the ledge in Melee, given the poster only had a short time to play the game, but it's at least a good thing to know it's been reduced at all and they didn't keep it as large as they had it in the E3 build.

I can't find a .gif example of the max range a character in Brawl could grab the ledge but the reason this is a good change is because now your recovery is going to require a little more precision rather than it always being so free to grab the ledge. You'll still sweetspot the same way in Brawl but how far away you grab it will be less compared to Brawl.

I hope that explains things pretty well.

Fireblend

Banned
Hopefully we'll get pics and footage soon (rules be damned, these are store units, they couldn't possibly enforce them everywhere).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I think this is all the confirmed ATs for the game. Any others that I'm missing?

1. Andross
  2. Ashley
  3. Chain Chomp
  4. Color TV Game 15
  5. Dark Samus
  6. Devil
  7. Dillon
  8. Dr. Kawashima
  9. Dr. Wright
  10. Elec Man
  11. Ghirahim
  12. Ghosts (Pac Man)
  13. Hammer Bros
  14. Isabelle
  15. Knuckle Joe
  16. Lakitu
  17. Lyn
  18. Magnus
  19. Metroid
  20. Midna
  21. Mother Brain
  22. Nightmare Wizard
  23. Nintendog
  24. Phosphora
  25. Prince Sable
  26. Riki
  27. Saki Amamiya
  28. Samurai Goroh
  29. Shadow
  30. Skull Kid
  31. Starfy
  32. Tingle
  33. Takamaru
  34. Waluigi

I added more.

emb

Okay guys, I played competitive Melee but not Brawl. I don't remember any "ledge snap" in the community jargon back then. Someone get me up to speed please. What is it and why is it better for us competitively that it's been reduced/drawn back?
EDIT: By a split second.
Take Marth's up B for example. (Most up B's work for it though).

In Melee if you fall to just below the edge and up B, you go past the edge and end up vulnerable. In Brawl you'll interrupt the move and grab the edge early.

Having it is a negative, because it makes recovering easier, simpler, and safer.

- Ike feels unchanged. I was never an Ike main so I don't know the specifics but his attacks were all the same general thing, nothing new I noticed.

- pacman. He feels slow, but his attacks felt like they had a good hitbox, because he's really fat and his legs stretch when he kicks. He just felt really interesting to play, but I ended up using his aerials the most because of their hit boxes.

- Peach's turnip pull speed is nerfed. She can still move in to float to do things like crown and nair. Her fsmash goes tennis club, golf club, and frying pan. I believe it's a set order now.

Frying Pan is back!

Ryce

Layton's situation is... interesting for Smash. His games are technically Nintendo games, but technically aren't either. He's sort of in this weird place where he's third party, but all his games are Nintendo published and I would hazard Nintendo owns the rights to him, given only a spin off of Layton has appeared on another system and it never featured layton or even mentioned him by name.
I'm pretty sure Level-5 publishes the Layton games in Japan. Nintendo definitely doesn't own the rights to the series.

Not sure if I buy it. The shadow does resemble the tip of Ridley's tail to me, and not pikachu. He's also implying that there's no possible way on earth that the ridley boss fight could EVER 'grab' you and then let go...

Like ridley has never grabbed anything before...

His point isn't that Ridley is grabbing Pikachu, the point is that it resembles a character grab animation which isn't followed by any additional input (i.e. breaking free afterwards). In all Ridley boss fights in the Metroid series, when Ridley grabbed onto Samus, he would do something. For example, he will claw or bite at Samus, or smash her into a wall and drag her along it.

Basically, why would a stage hazard/boss character grab a player character and then not do anything? Wouldn't it make more sense for that boss to actually perform a follow up attack upon successfully grabbing Pikachu? It would seem pretty odd that Ridley, of all possible boss characters, will just idly fly by, hold a character and then just let them break free.

I'm pretty sure Level-5 publishes the Layton games in Japan. Nintendo definitely doesn't own the rights to the series.
They should at least have a trophy for him. "Ubisoft pitched Rayman to Sakurai" rumors aside he's probably a trophy in Smash since Nintendo published Legends in Japan, so it seems fair Layton at least get a call out that way.

Also really hope Pac-Man isn't shit. Like Bowser Jr. my opinion on him completely reversed once I saw him in action.

Basically, I'm pretty sure he's talking about a character's ledge grab range. In Brawl, every character had an insane ledge grab range and people tended to call it "magnetic hands". Even though you looked to be far away from the ledge (to the point of not grabbing it) you actually would still grab it. It made recovering way too lenient and you can even see some examples of this happening in the E3 builds of Smash 4.

I'm a little skeptical its been reduced cast-wide to the amount of distance a character grabs the ledge in Melee, given the poster only had a short time to play the game, but it's at least a good thing to know it's been reduced at all and they didn't keep it as large as they had it in the E3 build.

I can't find a .gif example of the max range a character in Brawl could grab the ledge but the reason this is a good change is because now your recovery is going to require a little more precision rather than it always being so free to grab the ledge. You'll still sweetspot the same way in Brawl but how far away you grab it will be less compared to Brawl.

I hope that explains things pretty well.

Oh wow, couldn't it just be called ledge grab then? You competitive folk and your jargon!

Regardless, I'm happy this is good news for you guys. I even though it looked a little ridiculous in some of the E3 videos.

One argument I see a lot for Ridley support is that he was heavily requested since Melee, and I often see this as a source. Skip forward a bit and you'll see that the cheering is mostly for Metroid as a series, which hadn't seen a sequel since Super. Just wanted to point that out with all the Ridley hype that will inevitably end in disappointment one week from now.

random25

Sonic update:

- sonics forward b snaps to the ground, it is really fast now.

- his uair is like a scissor kick, has a way better hitbox than the twist kick thing.

Revven

Turnip pull nerf is sad, but set order forward smash is a good thing if they have different advantages, correct?

Set order is definitely a good thing. I doubt the Tennis racket, frying pan, and golf club were homogenized because of the set order -- they will probably all function differently like in the previous games. Now, instead of just using Fsmash to throw it out there as a GTFO move you can actually plan to use it more since it's not random. So, you could actually theoretically use the golf club to edgeguard for once (if you set it up to be the next one that comes out).

sn00zer

From Smashboards:
JUST PLAYED.

I will be more thorough later but right now.

- Ledge snap SEVERELY nerfed. I feels like Melee ledge grab.

- Meta knights up b is like Marth's up b. It hits people like once and sorta knocks them away and has an upward direction to it.

His tornado still has a lot of hits but you can DI it pretty easy because the hits are actually less frequent, I don't know yet about its priority.

- Pivot cancel is still in

- Pac Man is SLOW. Every single one of his aerials are kicks. His forward aerial is a double kick, his back air is like Mario. The thing that stood our about him is his utter sluggish-ness. His fall speed is like brawl. His run speed is slow. His forward b sends a pellet out in front of him, and then he turns in to classic pacman and boosts towards it. It's kind of like greninja'd shadow sneak thing except you can't time it.

- lucario is unchanged except his smash attacks feel MUCH faster.

- peach is unchanged except for her up aerial. It's now a rainbow thing, it has an arched hitbox over the top of her head, she draws it with her hand.

- Zelda has a white costume
YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

tumblr_m1i9xwnOv51r12end.gif

Personally, I'm most excited about Lucario. The guy felt waaaayyy too slow in Brawl but he's looked amazing so far. Can't wait to try him out again.

Durden77

Well put. Layton was my most hoped for 3rd party character and I'm bummed he's not in. Dude feels like part of the Nintendo family. Also, if you want a fuller breadth of Layton character, his games are mostly great, particularly Unwound Future. Some very great moments of character.

Thanks. I definitely wanna check out some more of his stories after this. Is it important to play them in order? Or are they more self-contained?

And yeah, I've always been ok with Layton in Smash. He seems like a character that Nintendo's almost missing and has filled a nice gap. But now that I know him a bit better, I actually WANT him in Smash.

Take Marth's up B for example. (Most up B's work for it though).

In Melee if you fall to just below the edge and up B, you go past the edge and end up vulnerable. In Brawl you'll interrupt the move and grab the edge early.

Having it is a negative, because it makes recovering easier, simpler, and safer.

Thank you!

Kyzon

Oh wow, couldn't it just be called ledge grab then? You competitive folk and your jargon!

Regardless, I'm happy this is good news for you guys. I even though it looked a little ridiculous in some of the E3 videos.

It's like literally a snap. No grabbing just a snapping teleport.

It's a pretty good AT list. If we get all past ATs for this game (sans ones like Little Mac and Gray Fox), we'll have at least

1. Andross
  2. Ashley
  3. Barbara
  4. Chain Chomp
  5. Color TV Game 15
  6. Dark Samus
  7. Devil
  8. Dillon
  9. Dr. Kawashima
  10. Dr. Wright
  11. Elec Man
  12. Excitebikes
  13. Ghirahim
  14. Ghosts (Pac Man)
  15. Hammer Bros
  16. Infantry & Tanks
  17. Isaac
  18. Isabelle
  19. Jeff
  20. Jill & Drill Dozer
  21. Kat & Ana
  22. Knuckle Joe
  23. Lakitu and Spinies
  24. Lyn
  25. Magnus
  26. Metroid
  27. Midna
  28. Mother Brain
  29. Mr. Resetti
  30. Nightmare Wizard
  31. Nintendog
  32. Phosphora
  33. Prince Sable
  34. Ray Mk III
  35. Riki
  36. Saki Amamiya
  37. Samurai Goroh
  38. Shadow
  39. Skull Kid
  40. Starfy
  41. Tingle
  42. Takamaru
  43. Waluigi

And we can only presume that we have at least a FEW ATs to look forward to!

One argument I see a lot for Ridley support is that he was heavily requested since Melee, and I often see this as a source. Skip forward a bit and you'll see that the cheering is mostly for Metroid as a series, which hadn't seen a sequel since Super. Just wanted to point that out with all the Ridley hype that will inevitably end in disappointment one week from now.
I never get support that surrounds around 'other people want this character!'. I want Ridley because I like the character, plus if implemented right he'd be fun as hell.

Top Bottom