• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U: new update available, 15 additional 8-player stages

Converse

Banned
I bet you've never played Hyrule Warriors then. So much confusion in the OT whenever new DLC launches.

I love me some Hyrule Warriors, and have the season pass. Maybe I just always happen to start it from the regular 'ol menu when there's an update?

yes they do

Well, that is odd because I most certainly started Smash Bros. from the Quick Start menu after the update was available; the game didn't install an update before booting, and none of the new stages had been added. I then went to "Online," knowing that you have to have the update to play online. And Smash Bros. most certainly told me I needed to quit the game and restart it from the Wii U menu to install the most recent update. Which I did, and it updated. So are you calling Smash Bros. a liar?

Regular
Mario Circuit - lacks shyguys
Luigi's Mansion - Can't be destroyed
Pyrosphere - lacks ridley
Norfair - no lava at all
Lylat Cruise - no ships flying around
Pokémon Stadium 2 - lacks stage transitions
Town and City - All background characters removed
Smashville - All background characters removed (cept petey, he stayed at a slow framerate)
Studio Wii Fit - no mirror background

Thanks for this rundown. Nice optimizations. Now there's a healthy normal stage selection with almost half the stages supported. That's great.

Cool, I didn't expect them to do this kind of stuff.

LimpHarmlessIrukandjijellyfish.gif

I love your Ridley gifs even if they make me cry inside.

jariw

If phrosphere is without Ridley, you could start with 8 players then have 6 commit suicide to have a 1v1! Which is ridiculous... But without a boss toggle, it's what things have come to

It's ridiculous, since 5 players is all that's required for this approach.

This update would have been perfect timing for last week when I played with five of my friends and questioned the stage choices for 8-Player Smash. Good update, though.

Well, that is odd because I most certainly started Smash Bros. from the Quick Start menu after the update was available; the game didn't install an update before booting, and none of the new stages had been added. I then went to "Online," knowing that you have to have the update to play online. And Smash Bros. most certainly told me I needed to quit the game and restart it from the Wii U menu to install the most recent update. Which I did, and it updated. So are you calling Smash Bros. a liar?

I'm saying you're uninformed. I launched Smash from Quick Start, and never got a prompt to download (even after choosing Online Mode). It was already loaded, and I haven't turned my Wii on in at least 24 hours.

EhoaVash

8 player mode is garbage especially when dealing with classic mode higher dicficulty and the game forces you to go to that FE stage

Javier

Oh, nice update. My brother will love this since he mostly plays 8-Player Smash.

I'm guessing the intention is to eventually make every stage available in 8-Player?

woopWOOP

Woahh, that's awesome! This fixes one of my bigger complaints with 8-player mode, the way smaller selection of maps.

Now they just need to add the total KO counter at the character select screen somewhere.

This is awesome and I know some of these changes were necessary to make them usable in 8 Player but no background characters in the Animal Crossing stages and Pokemon Stadium 2 with no transformations is kinda just lame. It's basically omega form with platforms, which is still nice, but when there are 8 players I'm not sure how much of a difference this platforms make.

Either way, cool update. Looking forward to seeing the changelog.

Converse

Banned
I'm saying you're uninformed. I launched Smash from Quick Start, and never got a prompt to download (even after choosing Online Mode). It was already loaded, and I haven't turned my Wii on in at least 24 hours.

Haha, alright. Reporting my personal experience that the game failed to update when launched from the Quick Start menu makes me "uniformed?" Sure, buddy. Maybe it was a fluke, but that is what happened.

I don't see what your Wii has to to with your Wii U updating, but maybe I'm uninformed.

Also, what the other dude said is kind of correct.

The fact that they had to trim those level features back to nearly 3DS levels of optimization makes me seriously wonder if Ice Climbers would have even worked in 8 man

Are these new 8 player levels brand new stage or are they just old levels adapted to the 8 player mode (like bigger landscape, less interactive stuff), either way, it's a nice news. Either way, kudos to Nintendo for supporting the game like that.

Axass

+ out of nowhere patch is welcome.
+ more options for 8 players Smash.
+ replays still working.

- why no boss toggle if they take out bosses for this? Give us the option, damn.

Are these new 8 player levels brand new stage or are they just old levels adapted to the 8 player mode (like bigger landscape, less interactive stuff), either way, it's a nice news. Either way, kudos to Nintendo for supporting the game like that.

Notice how the stage list is full of existing stages?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Regular
Norfair - no lava at all
Smashville - All background characters removed (cept petey, he stayed at a slow framerate)
Studio Wii Fit - no mirror background
Some of those stages just became tournament legal.

HOLY FUCK

impact

Banned
Using LAN or WiFi? I'm on LAN and usually have no issues.

Would be nice if Nintendo included a fucking LAN adapter then!

I can't play online either and my Wii U is right next to my router. And before you tell me my internet sucks, you're wrong. Wifi is just absolute trash for gaming.

4099014100.png

Cmon mintendo, let me play that dk level in 8 player smash, that level is too big IMO for only 4 players. I was so confused when my bro and I did 8 player smash for the first time and that dk level wasn't playable.

Would be nice if Nintendo included a fucking LAN adapter then!

I can't play online either and my Wii U is right next to my router. And before you tell me my internet sucks, you're wrong. Wifi is just absolute trash for gaming.

4099014100.png

Establish a DMZ in your router. Wifi is fine. Heck i play Dota with 33ms delay over wifi going through 2 rooms.

Dryk

Best versions of the Metroid stages only for 8-player <.<

Also can I just say that I hate that there's so much 8-player in the single player modes when the stage selection is clearly just "what runs in 8-player". Some of those stages are god awful with that many people on them.

Establish a DMZ in your router. Wifi is fine. Heck i play Dota with 33ms delay over wifi going through 2 rooms.
I have my Wii U in a DMZ and Mario Kart can't even make it half a lap without dropping out. I can download stuff from the eShop just fine but Nintendo's systems (and only Nintendo's systems) always give me trouble

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Regular
Norfair - no lava at all
I like that. Keep it simple.

This update is awesome, should have been available in the first place.

JediLink

Some of those stages just became tournament legal.

HOLY FUCK
Eh... not really. Only Pokemon Stadium 2. Maybe Pyrosphere and Norfair for doubles and beyond. I doubt it'd be worth the effort overall.

EDIT: Lol, the Facebook page edited their comment about the safe zone. They also made a point about this update being "free of charge". Of course it's free of charge, it's just a tiny patch. That's like advertising water as being gluten free. They're taking advantage of people's emotions here.

impact

Banned

Already did that. Have no issues with my PC or PS4 because they actually have ethernet ports, but the Wii U takes literally forever to download anything and online play is laggy as shit.

Because of that I only play Smash once a month or so. Wish I could play more but single player is just not fun whatsoever.

Javier

Already did that. Have no issues with my PC or PS4 because they actually have ethernet ports, but the Wii U takes literally forever to download anything and online play is laggy as shit.

Because of that I only play Smash once a month or so. Wish I could play more but single player is just not fun whatsoever.
Why not just buy a LAN adapter then? They're like, 10 bucks on Amazon.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Why is the Miiverse stage taking so long. The music is in the game, the stage graphics are in the game (as the online practise room) and the layout is extremely basic. It's going to feel so mundane when we finally get it.

Forkball

Well the extra players can SD until 2 players are left. Troublesome, but at least there's an option.

This sounds like a set up for a pro Smasher heel turn.

"The battle will begin when Hungrybox SDs... WAIT A MINUTE HE JUST ATTACKED MEW2KING HE'S NOT EVEN IN THE MATCH BAH GAWD."

Why is the Miiverse stage taking so long. The music is in the game, the stage graphics are in the game (as the online practise room) and the layout is extremely basic. It's going to feel so mundane when we finally get it.

They are probably going to push it out with a bigger update (tourneys, maybe Mewtwo) to get more attention.

Son Of D

I'm honestly expecting the Mewtwo patch to also include Miiverse, sharing and tournaments together.

Cmon mintendo, let me play that dk level in 8 player smash, that level is too big IMO for only 4 players. I was so confused when my bro and I did 8 player smash for the first time and that dk level wasn't playable.

This stage almost seems like it was made for 8 players in mind and yet it remains unplayable in 8 player, which is a shame since it would work great

So would Sector Z... but that's for another update I guess :(

Do the new stages show up in classic? I hope so, because the same 3-4 levels in classic is boring (especially when the likes of Great Cave Offensive and Palutena's Temple don't even show up in classic, further limiting stages)

This patch adds nothing for me but I'm still glad to see Nintendo updating the game. Hopefully we see more of this even if it's DLC, the more content the better.

Hello.

Banned

Don't worry, you're not the only one. For some reason, the Wii U is just absolute shit when it comes to router/modem compatibility. I couldn't play online in some games even though I could connect just fine with other consoles running.

Top Bottom