• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread XVIII: Today, we are all Mewtwos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say Bomberman is as iconic as Mega Man, both are currently in equaly as dead franchises and both had an equal amount of games pumped out rapid fire for like 20 years. I think you're greatly underestimating Bomberman and probably over estimating Mega Man, this coming from another user who names his user name after the MM franchise for the past 12 years. Bomberman's franchise being an easy to pick up and play party game might even mean more people have played Bomberman even if his games haven't sold as well as the other 4.

Maybe I'm underestimating Bomberman, but I don't think I'm overestimating Mega Man. I even said in my post far fewer non-gamers would recognize him than Sonic, making him the least recognizable of the Elite Four overall to the average person.

Still, I do think even fewer people still would recognize Bomberman. He was definitely popular in his heyday, but he was never quite as prolific and as far-reaching as Mega Man IMO. He's also not considered a classic gaming icon like Mega Man is; I'd put him more in the Simon Belmont/Bub & Bob/Master Higgins tier.

So I take it that there are no "odd no. of players" Smash?

There is. 8-Player Smash covers them all; you can use that mode to play 5-player, 6-player, and 7-player matches.

SapphireZora

Neo Member
If you want another iconic third party how about we bring back Snake?

:(

I'll second this. I loved Snake in Brawl. If it wasn't for him being in Smash, I never would have played the MGS games. The current roster is fantastic, but part of me is crushed he's not part of it.

Also, If I could add another 3rd party character to the series, it would have to be Sora.
(please be gentle...)
His moveset potential is huge and he's already a 'crossover' character of sorts. He may not have the legend status of Sonic and Pac-Man, but I think he'd fit in fairly well.

And while I'm at it, if Nintendo's doing more games with partners (like Hyrule Warriors and such), the idea of a Kingdom Hearts game with Nintendo-themed worlds would be amazing. A pipe dream, sure, but a nice one.
Again, this is all my opinion. I don't know how often the love of both Smash and Kingdom Hearts converge, so please don't eat me alive. :)

Doczu

So i pre-ordered the game with the gamecube adapter (sadly there are no bundles with the gamecube pad), and now i have to wait till release :(

I saw that the special pads for Smash have a extra ZL button. I have the classic gamecube pads, without it. Will it hinder my gameplay? And are the R and L buttons analog or digital? They look somewhat odd...

I'll second this. I loved Snake in Brawl. If it wasn't for him being in Smash, I never would have played the MGS games. The current roster is fantastic, but part of me is crushed he's not part of it.

Also, If I could add another 3rd party character to the series, it would have to be Sora.
(please be gentle...)
His moveset potential is huge and he's already a 'crossover' character of sorts. He may not have the legend status of Sonic and Pac-Man, but I think he'd fit in fairly well.

And while I'm at it, if Nintendo's doing more games with partners (like Hyrule Warriors and such), the idea of a Kingdom Hearts game with Nintendo-themed worlds would be amazing. A pipe dream, sure, but a nice one.
Again, this is all my opinion. I don't know how often the love of both Smash and Kingdom Hearts converge, so please don't eat me alive. :)

Oh man, I would love to see Sora in Smash. It'd never happen, but I'd be so hyped for him.

I'd want to see Crono just a little more, though, just because his history really is completely Nintendo-centric (unlike Sora's) and he's from my favorite game of all time.

I bring it up a lot when people discuss third party characters, and I don't seem to find many who share the feeling.

But I think Simon Belmont is one of the most deserving and fitting third parties. His franchise, like Mega Man, found its popularity on the NES. It was a really popular series too. He represents classic Nintendo well and has potential for a varied and unique moveset.

As a point to the above posts, I love Kingdom Hearts and would enjoy Sora. However I'd rather see a character with a deeper root in Nintendo's history.

JediLink

(please be gentle...)
180px-WHY.jpg

The problem with Sora is that he's not just third party, but basically double third party with both Squeenix and Disney. Also he'd be redundant with Shulk in the game already. Also Geno and Crono deserve top priority. Also Sora sucks.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
There is. 8-Player Smash covers them all; you can use that mode to play 5-player, 6-player, and 7-player matches.

Ahh and the stage limits also consider 5 and 7 right? I only see people talk about 6 and 8 players.

Ah right, you guys gonna do all victory poses in Wii U?

I bring it up a lot when people discuss third party characters, and I don't seem to find many who share the feeling.

But I think Simon Belmont is one of the most deserving and fitting third parties. His franchise, like Mega Man, found its popularity on the NES. It was a really popular series too. He represents classic Nintendo well and has potential for a varied and unique moveset.

I'm all for a CV rep, I just don't see it happening with Snake as Konami's Golden Boy, there was a slight glimmer of hope that Snake's removal here may open the door for Belmont to jump in his place assuming Konami were still up for a third party character but of course we have no idea what the situation was about Snake in the end.
Put simply I consider him one of the best possible third party reps for the same reasons you do but not that likely.

Question for those of you who don't think we're getting any DLC at all (like you, right IntelliHeath?): why? Wasn't the (eventual) existence of a DLC "shop" like in Mario Kart 8 basically confirmed through datamining of the 3DS version? What room is there for doubt at this point?

All right, tested all of this out for you.

Amazingly, Bowserciding does not result in Sudden Death but in the person who attempted to Bowsercide losing. Even though the other player technically hits the blast zone first, the person Bowserciding loses their stock instead. I love this! Thanks for asking me to test it out. :p Tested against Zero Suit Samus, Yoshi, and another Bowser on Pilotwings, Town and City, Battlefield, and Final Destination for good measure.

You can assign multiple buttons to shield, no problem there.

As for Bowser's short hop > air dodge > landing lag cancel w/ Whirling Fortress, yep, he can still do it!
Bowser went from always winning a Bowsercide to always losing? Damn, that is huge. At least, can Bowser now always control it? I would accept that tradeoff.

woopWOOP

Simon Belmont and/or Chocobo would be my most wanted picks for next third party guest characters.
After that probably Bomberman and Bubble Bobble, but that'd be third party overkill (and I don't want to lose the three we have now!).

So anyway, custom stages. Are these playable in 8-player mode? Please let these be playable in 8-player mode.

Sora would be so hype.

B would be Fire, which would be the KH2 variety where it circles around him.

Side B would be Blizzard which well, shoots ice forwards.

Down B would the Thunder which would be like Pikachu's, but appearing from a bit in front of him rather than directly above.

Up B can be Aero which for some reason makes the wind throw him upwards as a recovery.

Final Smash can be Final Form and he'd fly around with Oathkeeper and Oblivion and wreck shit up.

Then all his other attacks, smashes etc use the Keyblade.

And they can recreate his A-A-A combo to be exactly like his standard attack combo from KH1, and recreate his jump animations perfectly, and he'd be so amazing.

But it'll never happen :'(

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Question for those of you who don't think we're getting any DLC at all (like you, right IntelliHeath?): why? Wasn't the (eventual) existence of a DLC "shop" like in Mario Kart 8 basically confirmed through datamining of the 3DS version? What room is there for doubt at this point?

It's just me playing it safe with my expectation.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh yeah, why is it that the NSMB2 stage weird in the 3DS? It scrolls in All Star Mode but not in Smash.

Forkball

If the OT rule wasn't changed, it could go up today...

Not sure which Amiibo to get. I was dead set on Link but that yellow stand is so UGLY. I might pick up Yoshi.

Son Of D

Mario Kart 8 has got me thinking about Smash Bros. DLC again. What does everyone’s updated wish list look like? Here’s my top five after Mewtwo (no Assist Trophies, Poké Balls, or stage hazards):

RrmvvCM.png
sr7sSz2.png
mFCYkbN.png
GsWekKf.png
88zEBjb.png

Any single one of those would make me happy.

I'd go with your characters, but remove Inkling and put in either Snake, Wonder Red or Impa instead.

I don't dislike Splatoon or anything, but I think the game should have some time to find it's audience first. Plus it would feel too promotional if Inkling was a DLC character just before or just after Splatoon launches.

Mariolee

I'd go with your characters, but remove Inkling and put in either Snake, Wonder Red or Impa instead.

I don't dislike Splatoon or anything, but I think the game should have some time to find it's audience first. Plus it would feel too promotional if Inkling was a DLC character just before or just after Splatoon launches.

Like Roy?

emb

Like Roy?
I wasn't informed enough to know it way back then, but yeah. Roy is the perfect example of jumping the gun and including a character purely for advertising while they don't really bring anything meaningful to the table.

Unless you meant Roy Koopa.

Mario Kart 8 has got me thinking about Smash Bros. DLC again. What does everyone’s updated wish list look like? Here’s my top five after Mewtwo (no Assist Trophies, Poké Balls, or stage hazards):

RrmvvCM.png
sr7sSz2.png
mFCYkbN.png
GsWekKf.png
88zEBjb.png

Any single one of those would make me happy.

Characters:

Captain Toad
Chorus Kids
Dixie Kong
Wolf
Lucas

Stages - Wii U:

Mute City
Magicant
Grassland Groove
Rhythm Heaven
Skytown Elysia or Sanctuary Fortress

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Bowser went from always winning a Bowsercide to always losing? Damn, that is huge. At least, can Bowser now always control it? I would accept that tradeoff.

I don't like this nerf especially if the opponent can still control it. Could possibly let them cheese Bowser instead of vice versa. And if this is true for Bowser would it also be true for say Ganondorf?

That's one less tool we Bowser players have.

BigFwoosh

I don't like this nerf especially if the opponent can still control it. Could possibly let them cheese Bowser instead of vice versa. And if this is true for Bowser would it also be true for say Ganondorf?

That's one less tool we Bowser players have.

If anything, it should be a double KO. Bowser (or Dorf) always winning seems unfair, but it should at least be an option in a pinch.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
If anything, it should be a double KO. Bowser (or Dorf) always winning seems unfair, but it should at least be an option in a pinch.

But as I stated much earlier nothing has really changed. As Bowser you basically have to earn your Bowsercide by having one more stock then your opponent. Which by that time you won't be needing to use his Command Grab outside of a punish option.

So with the info gathered we have on last stock suicides we have:

Player vs. CPU = Forced Sudden Death

Player 1 vs Player 2 = Player 2 wins

Masked Man

I said wow
I'd want to see Crono just a little more, though, just because his history really is completely Nintendo-centric (unlike Sora's) and he's from my favorite game of all time.

I only played Chrono Trigger for the first time at the beginning of this year at my ex's recommendation, and I absolutely loved it. The music is simply incredible!

Characters:

Captain Toad
Chorus Kids
Dixie Kong
Wolf
Lucas

Stages - Wii U:

Mute City
Magicant
Grassland Groove
Rhythm Heaven
Skytown Elysia or Sanctuary Fortress

Wow, this is actually perfect. I would be super-excited to see this DLC come to fruition, and I'd say it's pretty realistic, too!

georly

YESS just one more week :)

the sad thing is that i am still grinding for Headgear... still 2 to go....

I'm still grinding for smash run powers. :( I've done 15 in a row now with no new powers (average 5 drops per run). Still have a few characters missing customs, but not many.

How many mii hats are there? I think I got a notice saying I got 40.

Can one train Falcon Amiibos to taunt in time to the Melee Fire Emblem theme?

Stop stealing my ideas. It'll be the first thing I try with mine.

Bomberman should have been in smash.

He is as iconic as Mario , Sonic , Pacman and Megaman but not as hyped up by a fan base or expected.He is easily as recognizable to a good amount of people.

He fought Wario in a crossover that is better than the other Nintendo crossovers outside of smash.

Thought that Nintendo could pour one drink down for Hudson that had closest relationship to them out of any third party company.Hudson could have been working on your favorite Nintendo games and you don't even know.

Please don't bring him up, it hurts too much. :'(

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
If the OT rule wasn't changed, it could go up today...

Not sure which Amiibo to get. I was dead set on Link but that yellow stand is so UGLY. I might pick up Yoshi.

Good thing the rule changed because I doubt that we will ever get it ready by today. :p I hope that we will get it ready by 6 hours before the release date.

Neiteio

They won't do this, but I'd love Konami DLC. I'm talking:

- Bomberman
- Goemon
- Simon Belmont
- SNAKE

I never really thought of myself as a "Konami fan," but man, when I think about series I love that are missing in action, I think Bomberman and Ganbare Goemon (Mystical Ninja, in the West), and when I think of "fan service" third-party characters, I think of Simon Belmont, since he'd go perfectly with Mega Man and Pit for a Captain N trio.

And of course, Snake was awesome. I'd love to have him back.

And can you even imagine Bomberman 64 or Ganbare Goemon/Mystical Ninja music in Smash? *swoon* (Oh, and Castlevania music, of course!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom