• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread XVIII: Today, we are all Mewtwos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could anyone with access to the game set up an 8-Bowser match on small Battlefield? Preferably with at least 1 human? Yes, I'm aware it would be ridiculous. And hilarious.

I only played Chrono Trigger for the first time at the beginning of this year at my ex's recommendation, and I absolutely loved it. The music is simply incredible!

Wow, this is actually perfect. I would be super-excited to see this DLC come to fruition, and I'd say it's pretty realistic, too!
I have to know why you would leave a woman that goes around recommending Chrono Trigger to people.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
8-Player Captain Falcon smash is a thing of beauty. I just sat there, watching this.

Also, at a certain point, the CPU's just start jumping off the edge for seemingly no reason. I guess all those knees scared 'em off.

The cause of the "great ledge migration" seems to be due to one of the Falcons trying to recover from the ledge, then everyone and their uncle tried to stop him, but because everyone is each other's enemies, they kept wailing as they fall.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I only played Chrono Trigger for the first time at the beginning of this year at my ex's recommendation, and I absolutely loved it. The music is simply incredible!

Wow, this is actually perfect. I would be super-excited to see this DLC come to fruition, and I'd say it's pretty realistic, too!

Oh man, if Crono got in as playable character. Best thing about it is that we are getting 3D Model of all characters for trophies!

rekameohs

Banned
The cause of the "great ledge migration" seems to be due to one of the Falcons trying to recover from the ledge, then everyone and their uncle tried to stop him, but because everyone is each other's enemies, they kept wailing as they fall.

CPU's pretty much 100% footstool jump when they're on top of an enemy, so when one jumped down, the others followed, and the footstool jumps just killed everyone, since you fall for a set bit before you can use your recovery when footstooled, and Falcon's recovery isn't very good.

But as I stated much earlier nothing has really changed. As Bowser you basically have to earn your Bowsercide by having one more stock then your opponent. Which by that time you won't be needing to use his Command Grab outside of a punish option.

So with the info gathered we have on last stock suicides we have:

Player vs. CPU = Forced Sudden Death

Player 1 vs Player 2 = Player 2 wins

Have you tried jumping as Bowser as soon as you hit the blast zone?

Mario Kart 8 has got me thinking about Smash Bros. DLC again. What does everyone’s updated wish list look like? Here’s my top five after Mewtwo (no Assist Trophies, Poké Balls, or stage hazards):

RrmvvCM.png
sr7sSz2.png
mFCYkbN.png
GsWekKf.png
88zEBjb.png

Any single one of those would make me happy.

Out of those five. Would like Splatoon Inkling the most.
Seems the most original but still with enough moves to make a move set.
Would also be good to promote a new IP.
Dixie would be good too.
Chorus kids... Don't know what they would do. Wolf and Lucas.... okay but they don't have to return for me.

Less than a week till Smash U.

Anyone else excited?

I'm hosting a huge get together with all my friends where we'll be playing Pokemon ORAS and Smash Bros. with beverages and snacks. This will probably be the biggest gaming shindig I've ever experienced.

Not expecting any of my fellow SmashGaffers to be nearby, but it you happen to be in my area you are most certainly invited.

georly

I'm hosting a huge get together with all my friends where we'll be playing Pokemon ORAS and Smash Bros. with beverages and snacks. This will probably be the biggest gaming shindig I've ever experienced.

Not expecting any of my fellow SmashGaffers to be nearby, but it you happen to be in my area you are most certainly invited.

Yup, i'll be throwing 2 parties. One for when I hopefully get the game early, the other one on actual release with 8 player smashhhhhhhhhhhhh.

AdanVC

Less than a week till Smash U.

Anyone else excited?

Here! I took the difficult decision to skip the 3DS version (too many life/money issues atm) so the hype is stronger here. We're going me and my cousin next friday to pick the game (bundle version yay), and stay the entire afternoon and even past midnight playing the damn thing. I need to practice a little in Brawl though. I haven't played Smash in a while!

Neiteio

I'm planning a party once I unlock everyone. My current group of friends haven't played Smash Bros. before -- they're portable and PlayStation people -- so I'm hoping to have some over beforehand to show them the ropes. Easy to learn, but deep to master.

I think Wario will be a good character to showcase, since all of his specials (and movements in general) are so distinct and memorable. I expect some laughs when I whip out the motorcycle or rocket into space with a fart. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing them discover the game. It'll be a way to vicariously relive the joy I experienced back in middle school, trying a Falcon Punch or spamming Thunder. :)

BKSmash

So what? We know all the stages now?

I don't really understand.. who has the game, and are they allowed to show everything?

Exile20

I'm planning a party once I unlock everyone. My current group of friends haven't played Smash Bros. before -- they're portable and PlayStation people -- so I'm hoping to have some over beforehand to show them the ropes. Easy to learn, but deep to master.

I think Wario will be a good character to showcase, since all of his specials (and movements in general) are so distinct and memorable. I expect some laughs when I whip out the motorcycle or rocket into space with a fart. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing them discover the game. It'll be a way to vicariously relive the joy I experienced back in middle school, trying a Falcon Punch or spamming Thunder. :)

Same here, hopefully it just takes a week to unlock everyone, then I will invite my friends over.

Neiteio

cat ran away. i've been going full on rambo on the weekends looking for her. donno if i will find her in time for smash. due to scheduling and time zones i'll be able to play ORAS, though.
Oh man, I'm a huge animal lover. I hope you find her. :-(

My cats have always been indoors, but in general cats usually don't wander farther than five houses from where they live. So check your neighborhood first and foremost, but also make a point to visit every shelter and rescue in the area on a daily basis.

Is the cat microchipped, by any chance?

Neiteio

I don't really understand.. who has the game, and are they allowed to show everything?
Ash knows everything but said something like "I hate you guys so I'm not going to tell you all the amazing secrets I know." He then flipped a table and spilled drinks everywhere before giving us the middle finger and storming out the front door. He kicked over a lawn flamingo, as well.

Or maybe it was something about embargoes. Hmm.

Honestly, I don't anticipate any amazing surprises beyond what we know. I suspect that there aren't many unlockable stages beyond Pac-Land, Kongo Jungle 64, Duck Hunt, Smashville, Pokemon Stadium 2, Flat Zone 2, etc.

Hmmm... I've not thrown a game launch party since Super Street Fighter 4. My living space isn't as ridiculously huge as it was back then but I should probably invite a whole bunch of people over and see if we can get an 8 player going XD

cat ran away. i've been going full on rambo on the weekends looking for her. donno if i will find her in time for smash. due to scheduling and time zones i'll be able to play ORAS, though.
Oh my! I hope you find her. I know how worrying it is when cats go AWOL :s

Good luck! I hope it goes well :3

Games Journalists plus a few key people from the smash community (aka event organisers) have been given copies early but they're bound by an embargo so they can't show/tell us about everything :p

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Hatchtag, good luck with finding your cat.

Ash knows everything but said something like "I hate you guys so I'm not going to tell you all the amazing secrets I know." He then flipped a table and spilled drinks everywhere before giving us the middle finger and storming out the front door. He kicked over a lawn flamingo, as well.

Or maybe it was something about embargoes. Hmm.

Honestly, I don't anticipate any amazing surprises beyond what we know. I suspect that there aren't many unlockable stages beyond Pac-Land, Kongo Jungle 64, Duck Hunt, Smashville, Pokemon Stadium 2, Flat Zone 2, etc.

Just set your expectation with those 6 stages being unlockable then you would be okay.

Hatchtag

Banned
Oh man, I'm a huge animal lover. I hope you find her. :-(

My cats have always been indoors, but in general cats usually don't wander farther than five houses from where they live. So check your neighborhood first and foremost, but also make a point to visit every shelter and rescue in the area on a daily basis.

Is the cat microchipped, by any chance?

She is not. She's an indoor cat, though we occasionally let her on the porch, which is how she got out. I've seen her literally right outside the door to my house, but she's sanic fast. The neighborhood's really aware of it, and we've gotten several calls from people spotting her. Planning on placing some humane traps this weekend, because I don't think we'll be able to get her otherwise. She's just too fast and there's no way to corner her.

Oh my! I hope you find her. I know how worrying it is when cats go AWOL :s

Thanks! It seems like someone new spots her every other day, so I'm fairly certain she's safe. It's just a matter of getting her to come home at this point.

Neiteio

In terms of amazing secrets, definitely do not get your hopes up.
So what you're saying is, don't expect an eight-player Crocodile Isle stage that travels from Gangplank Galleon to Crocodile Cauldron to Krem Quay to Krazy Kremland to Gloomy Gulchy to K. Rool's Keep to the Flying Kroc and then to the Lost World before looping again, with each stage being the size of Palutena's Temple and featuring the entire DKC2 OST rearranged by Wise himself with the backing of a full orchestra?

Lunar15

...but in terms of incredible secrets?

Fair game. Who knows, maybe there's some weird requirement like playing the Wii U version for 4000 hours that unlocks the secret Moonside and Venus Lighthouse levels that I don't know about.

So what you're saying is, don't expect an eight-player Crocodile Isle stage that travels from Gangplank Galleon to Crocodile Cauldron to Krem Quay to Krazy Kremland to Gloomy Gulchy to K. Rool's Keep to the Flying Kroc and then to the Lost World before looping again, with each stage being the size of Palutena's Temple and featuring the entire DKC2 OST rearranged by Wise himself with the backing of a full orchestra?

Whoa buddy, you're getting way too close to the embargoed fact that David Wise himself is an unlockable chara- oh shit, I've said too much.

Neiteio

She is not. She's an indoor cat, though we occasionally let her on the porch, which is how she got out. I've seen her literally right outside the door to my house, but she's sanic fast. The neighborhood's really aware of it, and we've gotten several calls from people spotting her. Planning on placing some humane traps this weekend, because I don't think we'll be able to get her otherwise. She's just too fast and there's no way to corner her.

Thanks! It seems like someone new spots her every other day, so I'm fairly certain she's safe. It's just a matter of getting her to come home at this point.
My indoor cats were really timid the few times they were out there (under our close supervision), so I'd doubt your cat has gone far. She's probably just jumping when you approach because she's already frazzled by the stimulus overload that is outside. Humane traps would probably be a good idea.

Hatchtag

Banned
Apparently the overworld theme from Golden Sun Dark Dawn is a unlockable music track for the Palutena's Temple stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc8iwMcxPZ4

So yay Golden Sun.

Meanwhile, look at how much love Custom Robo's been getting:

Honestly starting to feel that Isaac will be DLC. Would explain him losing Assist and Trophy statuses; they wouldn't want to have him be an Assist if he'd later be DLC, and they wouldn't want to show off an updated model as to give it away. Though they could just use Brawl's trophy, but eh. I donno.

Ah! That's comforting. General rule of cats is never to approach but let them come to you :3
We used to call ours in by shaking a box of cat biscuits :p

Neiteio

Whoa buddy, you're getting way too close to the embargoed fact that David Wise himself is an unlockable chara- oh shit, I've said too much.
Can you imagine how quickly they'd release a balance patch to nerf Dave Wise?

Kotaku: "SAX TOO STRONG, SAKURAI RESPONDS WITH PATCH"

efTeIVT.png

emb

THE WRONG SON DIED

I mean, yay

EDIT: goddammit Lunar, antagonizing me with the suggestion of a Moonside stage
The Moonside suggestion hurts. :(

Hopefully that's just mentioned to throw us off the trail. We're onto your game, Lunar.

I just went through Moonside for the first time last night though. Definitely a high point of Earthbound so far. Another highlight:
getting teleport and seeing Ness run really fast like he does in the Melee intro
. :D

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It definitely does scroll in Smash, you sure you've played it enough?

maybe it appears only on a timed game? I never turn on time even on stock

CPU's pretty much 100% footstool jump when they're on top of an enemy, so when one jumped down, the others followed, and the footstool jumps just killed everyone, since you fall for a set bit before you can use your recovery when footstooled, and Falcon's recovery isn't very good.

Yep, all dem dead falcons

Wario is pretty much the most standout character in the whole series. It was especially true in Brawl where everything was gritty except for him, and somehow it's still true in Smash 4.

He just leaves an impression on you.

Dimmle

I just went through Moonside for the first time last night though. Definitely a high point of Earthbound so far.

Oh man, I'm envious, your first time through Moonside. It still holds up as a highlight of the game.

Lunar is playing an 8 Isaac game on Venus Lighthouse right now, I know it.

Azure J

This is AMAZING. :lol

Hatchtag

Banned
My indoor cats were really timid the few times they were out there (under our close supervision), so I'd doubt your cat has gone far. She's probably just jumping when you approach because she's already frazzled by the stimulus overload that is outside. Humane traps would probably be a good idea.

She hasn't gone too far, I think the farthest she was spotted was about 3 blocks away. Annoying, there's a creek with a lot of shrubbery and trees around it, so that's an incredibly good place for her to be hiding, and I'm certain she is hiding there.

Ah! That's comforting. General rule of cats is never to approach but let them come to you :3
We used to call ours in by shaking a box of cat biscuits :p

Yeah, she's ran away every time we've tried to catch her. At the same time, I donno how well letting her come to me is going to go. If I see her she generally gets startled by the noise of me coming outside and wants to run anyways. So it's definitely difficult catching her.
Somewhat humorously, I saw a cat in the dark that I tried to catch that ended up not being her, and that cat begged me to pet it. Cats are so friendly when they're not trying to hide outside.

Hatchtag, good luck with finding your cat.
Thanks Heath.

Ryce

I don't dislike Splatoon or anything, but I think the game should have some time to find it's audience first. Plus it would feel too promotional if Inkling was a DLC character just before or just after Splatoon launches.
I’d typically be against representing a brand new IP in Smash Bros. before the IP has had time to “prove” itself, but Splatoon is one of those rare special cases in that EAD properties tend to live on in some capacity for a long time. I really do feel like Splatoon will be woven into the fabric of Nintendo’s identity over the next few years regardless of how well it sells (be it a sequel or cameos in other games), and that alone will warrant Inkling’s presence in Smash Bros.

I always think back to the original Pikmin in 2001 — even then I had a gut feeling that Nintendo would continue supporting it regardless of how it fared at retailers. Miyamoto came up with the concept and EAD developed it; that sort of pedigree is typically perfect Smash Bros. material. If Olimar was included in Melee I don’t think anyone would have complained about it feeling too promotional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom