• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

I think i finally realized why I prefer SS Link over TP Link: His default expressions isn't "totally pissed." Worse yet that scowl translates horribly into his new model. He's seriously hard to look at :(

Berordn

My thought process is - it's a new Down B. Sheik has either been split off into her own character (possible) or shifted to a Taunt change. Assuming that's true, it gives a LOT of credit to Toon Zelda as a one-to-one clone of Zelda, but without a Sheik transformation.

If that's the case, they could just spin off Shiek's moveset into Tetra.

It won't happen, but it's nice to dream.

Mit-

We've also seen a redesigned Pikachu and Marth, so I'm not really sure what else you'd want to see in these characters - they're a low key affair because they're known quantities. Any changes they make to them are interesting but not worth stealing the spotlight from new ones.
Visual changes aren't necessary for everyone, I guess I'm only really salty about Link/Zelda. I'm very happy about Marth.

Edit: and Fox. I'm very salty about Fox. He got a new, original costume for Brawl, and they didn't change it at all in this game. This is essentially Fox's only game series now. Show him some love :(

It's mostly movesets. Many characters have had new games that could have inspired new moves for many characters, yet we've seen hardly any. I mean, FLUDD? Seriously? HOW MANY MARIO GAMES HAVE THERE BEEN SINCE SUNSHINE?

Village

Paper Mario and WarioWare are more or less spin-off franchises and can be represented by trophies, assist trophies, stickers, stamps, i don't know.

Wario ware has kind of taken over what wario does. And is a completely unique experience from what it came from.

I suppose its a spin off in the sense of wario coming from mario. But it has gone so far of the rails and separated itself so much from mario that wario is its own thing now.

zelda_avatar_1_by_neoriceisgood-d6zg9gi.png
zelda_avatar_2_by_neoriceisgood-d6zg9gk.png

Not sure who called the Zelda avatar, but it has been made.

Poor Zelda, nobody claimed you.

Berordn

1 is enough.

Even butt stomp is 10x more relevant at this point.

Why does he need to be "relevant"? He's clearly Mario, doing things that Mario has done. Shouldn't we remove the cape because Super Mario World is 23 years old now, and not at all relevant?

I actually like FLUDD. It sucked in Brawl, but it has potential to be something.

Berordn

Mario should honestly have his buttstomp, though.

It's one of his most normal moves

It's an ability that was introduced in Yoshi's Island, and he has it. I mean, I get that Mario's used it more by this point, but having three characters with a near identical stomp move doesn't sound that interesting to me.

Mit-

Why does he need to be "relevant"? He's clearly Mario, doing things that Mario has done. Shouldn't we remove the cape because Super Mario World is 23 years old now, and not at all relevant?

I actually like FLUDD. It sucked in Brawl, but it has potential to be something.
Why shouldn't he be relevant? They updated Bowser, but they can't update their mascot? He's a copy and paste from Brawl. Brawl switched him up a bit and gave him FLUDD, an item from his, at the time, most recent platformer.

There's been what, at least 7 major platformers released since Brawl? They couldn't look at a single one of those and create a new move to replace FLUDD?

Kids these days don't even know where FLUDD came from.

And yes they could replace Cape and I don't think it'd be the end of the world. They could even replace his up-B, which is just a Mario version of a shoryuken.

I agree with this. I'm happy that Mario still has FLUDD in this game. I don't want games like Mario Sunshine to be ignored just because they're not retro or recent. Smash Bros. is supposed to be a celebration of Nintendo's entire history. Sure, the move sucked in Brawl, but they can always make it better.

Berordn

There's been what, at least 7 major platformers released since Brawl? They couldn't look at a single one of those and create a new move to replace FLUDD?

There's been Galaxy 1 and 2 which gave him the spin but removed any other melee capability he had, NSMB Wii, 2 and U which gave him nothing but powerups, and 3D Land and 3D World which did the same (and actually removed abilities).

Sure, they could take something from those, but that's just arbitrary change for a character who's largely consistent in all his outings. FLUDD is notable and was the biggest departure the character's seen in a long time.

Bowser was changed to finally portray how he looks and acts in games since Sunshine. Mario already did this.

WFT doesn't blush. She tells you outright what she feels.
waifu connoisseur?

"i-it's not like i wanted to help you lose weight or anything, b-baka..."

What special is Peach's Toad thing? Is that Down B or Neutral B? Maybe Zelda summons the Phantom as a shield of sorts.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get what you'd give Mario aside from FLUDD. Rosalina represents all of Mario's mechanics from the Super Mario Galaxy subseries, and given Mario seems to only take abilities from the 'mainline' 2D and 3D games, Sunshine is still pretty relevant. What would replace it?

It wouldn't be that surprising if Sheik was cut. "He" was only in one game.
Although he has a lot of fans, he's only interesting in Smash Bros as part of Zelda moveset. If the Phantom is really Zelda's Down Special, I don't think Sheik will be in the game.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Get rid of Sheik and instead have Impa as a character. /truth

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Although he has a lot of fans, he's only interesting in Smash Bros as part of Zelda moveset. If the Phantom is really Zelda's Down Special, I don't think Sheik will be in the game.

I guess Impa might happens if that happened.

Makai

It's more like Zelda is a part of Sheik's moveset.

qq more

cutting out a character entirely because of one change of a moveset is a really stupid idea

I guess Impa might happens if that happened.

It's more like Zelda is a part of Sheik's moveset.

Melee and Brawl themselves clearly count too, otherwise Ganondorf wouldn't have kept the Falcon inspired moveset in Brawl.

cutting out a character entirely because of one change of a moveset is a really stupid idea

I'm still thinking it's an assist trophy though

Mit-

It would be weird seeing SS Impa sitting next to the generic Link and Zelda models. I have a feeling we won't be seeing any SS characters, but I hope I'm wrong because I'd love to see Ghirahim.

On a new down-B for Mario, I shouldn't have to come up with something new to argue FLUDD's relevance. They could come up with something. Pick any number of powerups and turn them into an attack, just like cape and fireball. Give him a spin attack back and put his butt stomp on down-air. Anything. It wouldn't be the most difficult thing in the world.

On the flip side, Luigi SHOULD have Poltergust 3000, especially since he just got a new Luigi's Mansion game. So far he is unfortunately another Brawl copypasta.

Kokonoe

Banned
Sheik "He"

Sheik is actually female. This is from Aonuma.

http://kotaku.com/5412635/zelda-developer-was-stumped-by-new-zelda-games-puzzles

"We recently received information from a survey conducted in the US that indicated that, among our female characters, users had a preference for those that were more on the independent side, such as Shiek and Tetra," he wrote. He was referring to the Zelda-in-disguise incarnations of Princess Zelda in The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. "Making Zelda a more integral part of the game was also a goal for our Director, Mr. [Daiki] Iwamoto, so we set out with this element in mind when we started making the game."

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm still thinking it's an assist trophy though

Did you see my stance about it being assist trophy. I'm trying to think of few possibilities since it's more fun to speculating.

It would be weird seeing SS Impa sitting next to the generic Link and Zelda models. I have a feeling we won't be seeing any SS characters, but I hope I'm wrong because I'd love to see Ghirahim.

On the flip side, Luigi SHOULD have Poltergust 3000, especially since he just got a new Luigi's Mansion game. So far he is unfortunately another Brawl copypasta.

I agreed with you on Luigi and Poltergust 3000.

Also they changed Sheik's design into Twilight Princess-ish, so I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to do same thing with Impa.

Top Bottom