• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

Jaeger

Gen III and Gen IV changed a lot of classic Pokemon's design and colors. Charmander is another one that changed. In the case of Mewtwo, his head shrunk and he got skinnier, his facial features also changed. The same thing happened to Red. He use to have a 'red' coat but now it's more pinkish and his hair is kind of a worn out color now. They actually were changed instead of just his shapes changing, as Red is wearing a different outfit all together.

700lNft.jpg

ltOm3xj.png

Yea, his design has changed alot. I wouldn't call it bad (although I like both). I'm speaking a bit more on his art-style being different.

Like most Japanese artist (especially manga), overtime the uses thinner lines, and the better colors (although he got the pinks mixed up with red for Red). He also has thinned out as you pointed out most if not all of his bodies, for both humans and Pokemon, alike. Pikachu is a well known and notable example (although in anime and films, Pikachu has always been thinner than Sugimori's original art design).

emb

I want all 35 from Brawl back, save Lucario and Snake. Can't think of anyone else that seems especially useless or unlikely. 33

I want Mewtwo back. 34

So far we've seen 4 newcomers already. So 38.

I'm hoping for 42-45 total.

I'm hoping for over 50 because we don't have the SSE this time and in reality, all we really need from a new Smash game is more characters and stages, on top of the "easy" stuff like new items, assist trophies, costumes, etc.

Let's not forget that there's already a solid foundation of movesets for many existing characters that shouldn't be too crazy to balance.

Village

^^
That's some truth right there

On a serious note, I would enjoy the prospect that due to smash's hypeness, it completely took over FGC tournaments. Just to see outrage.

^^
That's some truth right there

On a serious note, I would enjoy the prospect that due to smash's hypeness, it completely took over FGC tournaments. Just to see outrage.

well if you took out Capcom games, Melee had the highest numbers at Evo
chansub-global-emoticon-ddc6e3a8732cb50f-25x28.png

If Sakurai really wants to make people flip their shit, he should reveal the total number of characters in the roster, and then not change the character reveal schedule at all.

"slots still don't exist"-half of SmashGAF after that annoucement

I say they go for 700+ and include every pokemon ever made.

On a more serious level i would fucking love if they went somewhere around 50. They barely need to change the established roster and this gen is a huge jump. Hopefully they go crazy with the amount of content.

Mit-

I don't think the lack of SSE means more time to develop more content.

It means they have less time, a 3DS version to create, and can't include as much content as Brawl.

If I could choose I'd take Lyn, but Anna is the only character who has been in every Fire Emblem game and IntSys highlighted that fact when promoting Awakening. I think Anna has the best odds of any Fire Emblem newcomer for that reason. She would be an evergreen choice, someone who could represent the franchise past, present, and into the future.

This is exactly how I feel about Fire Emblem representation and who should appear on the roster since Ike is now disregarded as a "flavour of the month" character. I've only played Awakening but think Anna has enough charm and legacy behind her to represent FE solidly. She's playable, but also highly visible elsewhere in the game, and I'd imagine they could have some fun designing her moveset as well.

I wouldn't bet on her appearing, but it'd be nice, since I, and a lot of people, generally think Chrom is solid, albeit boring choice.

Oh, and by the way Zelda looks fabulous, and I'm anxious in regards of the Guard and his role in the game. I was happy with Zelda's fine tuning in Brawl, and I don't really want to see her moveset change. I think at this point Sheik is a Smash staple and we won't be seeing her going anywhere soon, but it would be nice to see that moveset go to Impa eventually if push came to shove. Because of the implementation of TP designs I don't see that happening this time around though.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Obviously the Duck Hunt Dog is summoning Phantom. It couldn't be any more obvious.

Berordn

It means they have less time, a 3DS version to create, and can't include as much content as Brawl.

They can already use Brawl's assets as a base and all those characters are finished conceptually, so why can't they have as much content as Brawl?

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Sakurai has added two female newcomers so far, that could be all he means by "look at all the female characters"

It could also mean that everyone has a Lucina alt.

SmithnCo

They can already use Brawl's assets as a base and all those characters are finished conceptually, so why can't they have as much content as Brawl?

They also have the Namco team helping out. I really think we'll see almost all of Brawl's characters return plus a healthy amount of newbies.

Caladrius

To add to this, they'd be much more likely to just get rid of the superfluous features (such as masterpieces and the trophy shooting minigame) than strip down the core game, and the reduction in the amount of cutscenes frees up quite a bit of resources as far time goes. Brawl also met a lot of hiccups in its early and late phases.(Brawl didn't have a full development team at the beginning and had Sonic put in at the last minute.)

DaBoss

They do seem to be re-using the Brawl assets for the 3DS version and making the colors a lot more brighter.

Also, just found this, not sure if it is old: http://wallpaper-games-maker.com/background/super-smash-bros-wiiu

You can make your own wallpaper for the game. They don't have the logo for the 3DS version and both of them together though. =/
I can't say I've ever thought about this, but it seems silly. No reason to make you focus on something else just for a name if you don't know who a character is.
Yea, I know it is silly lol. It's just that the text looks so bad stretched/squished trying to fit character names.

It also turns out the text was on top lol.

Mit-

They also have the Namco team helping out. I really think we'll see almost all of Brawl's characters return plus a healthy amount of newbies.
I'm just saying they aren't removing SSE so they can include more. They're cutting it so they can get everything else that they would normally include done.

Although I think we're also going to see more things cut, such as the sheer amount of new music created, hundreds of stickers and trophies, and other fun content like the retro games and demos. We'll likely still get trophies but I just can't see this game being the treasure trove of content that Brawl was.

Also I'm not too hopeful for more than 40 characters but it would certainly be nice.

I'm just saying they aren't removing SSE so they can include more. They're cutting it so they can get everything else that they would normally include done.

Although I think we're also going to see more things cut, such as the sheer amount of new music created, hundreds of stickers and trophies, and other fun content like the retro games and demos. We'll likely still get trophies but I just can't see this game being the treasure trove of content that Brawl was.

Also I'm not too hopeful for more than 40 characters but it would certainly be nice.

I don't think they need to create as much new music, they already have so many great songs to work with.

Berordn

Considering we've yet to even see most of the features the game has to offer it seems far too early to say this. SSE wasn't well received, so it's no surprise that it's gone. But they now have multiple studios and teams contributing and a big asset house in Namco, plus two other games that they can pull from for assets and concepts. It seems premature to say that they're in such a rush that they're not going to match or surpass.

Mit-

I don't think they need to create as much new music, they already have so many great songs to work with.
Except gathering video game composers from throughout the industry to remix tons of well known Nintendo tracks was an incredibly cool addition. Considering they haven't said anything about that yet (it was announced fairly early for Brawl) I have a feeling they won't be doing this for Smash 4, which is disappointing.

You're right, it'll have even more content.
I think some people severely underestimate the amount of content created for SSE in Brawl. Dozens of cut scenes, several DOZEN levels that were all larger than typical Smash stages, tons of original music tracks, and several boss battles. We're moving back to Smash 64 levels when it comes to the single player experience. There isn't even an adventure mode like Melee had.

Did they not mention all of this months ago? Citing the 3DS version as a significant increase to their production load?

SSE was pure garbage anyway. Race to the finish, board the platforms and break the targets provided me with endless amounts of fun. SSE i could barely bring myself to finish. Glad it got scrapped.

Except gathering video game composers from throughout the industry to remix tons of well known Nintendo tracks was an incredibly cool addition. Considering they haven't said anything about that yet (it was announced fairly early for Brawl) I have a feeling they won't be doing this for Smash 4, which is disappointing.

Who knows at this point. In all honesty i enjoy the original music as much as the remixed stuff anyway so it doesn't bother me. I'm just saying they already have a lot of music created so they won't need to make as much.

I think some people severely underestimate the amount of content created for SSE in Brawl. Dozens of cut scenes, several DOZEN levels that were all larger than typical Smash stages, tons of original music tracks, and several boss battles. We're moving back to Smash 64 levels when it comes to the single player experience. There isn't even an adventure mode like Melee had.

SSE and adventure mode were boring to me so this isn't a bad thing imo.

DaBoss

Race to the finish was boring, imo. The other two (and not the Brawl version of break the targets) are a lot more fun.
We're moving back to Smash 64 levels when it comes to the single player experience. There isn't even an adventure mode like Melee had.
Except this was never said. They only said they wouldn't do something like SSE again and something about no CGI cutscenes outside of the newcomer ones.

SmithnCo

A lot of that stuff was already created when it was put in Brawl. A lot of the trophies were assets ripped from their own games and the stickers were just a bunch of official art. New music, maybe, but they have a lot of good stuff to work with there too.

Berordn

We have no confirmation of this anywhere and even still we've seen footage (on the 3DS version, of all things) that seem to hint at an adventure mode of some sort since the stage being shown doesn't relate to any series at all, nor has it appeared in any daily images.

Mit-

Sorry, some of that was conclusions I had drawn previously when Sakurai said there wouldn't be a story mode due to people uploading cutscenes to YouTube, which is quite obviously bullshit.

He said there'd be some form of single player mode but if not Story that leads me to believe classic/arcade mode.

I'M FINISHED!

Remixes can be fun and all, but I would prefer a bunch of originals over a handful of remixes. The remixes are never as good to me as the original anyway, so I would rather have Brawl's music menu and CD gathering.

I suspect that I'm outnumbered on this.

Azure J

I'd rather they have fewer, more polished features than try to do everything like in Brawl.

This is all I really want:
-Classic mode (random)
-All-Star mode (random)
-Break the Targets (every character has unique stage)
-Board the Platforms (every character has unique stage)
-Events
-Home-Run Contest
-Multi-Man Melee
-Trophies (just bring back the lottery from Melee, no stupid minigame)
-Challenges
-Stage-Builder (only if they're going to put some effort into it this time)
-Training

Adventure mode I can take or leave.

I can agree to this. Also, I'm #Team45to50 roster wise. Dare to dream with me.

Caladrius

I'd rather they have fewer, more polished features than try to do everything like in Brawl.

This is all I really want:
-Classic mode (random)
-All-Star mode (random)
-Break the Targets (every character has unique stage)
-Board the Platforms (every character has unique stage)
-Events
-Home-Run Contest
-Multi-Man Melee
-Trophies (just bring back the lottery from Melee, no stupid minigame)
-Challenges
-Stage-Builder (only if they're going to put some effort into it this time)
-Training

Adventure mode I can take or leave.

Basically my thoughts (except I want My Music and Adventure mode back)

It's kind of funny that I basically want a Melee 2.0 despite preferring Brawl. It has many faults and a rather severe case of feature bloat, but I love most of the character and stage additions they made and don't really go back to Melee for that reason.

Except Toon Link.

He is disposable.

And by disposable I mean that I fantasize about throwing him in a furnace.

Mit-

Remixes can be fun and all, but I would prefer a bunch of originals over a handful of remixes. The remixes are never as good to me as the original anyway, so I would rather have Brawl's music menu and CD gathering.

I suspect that I'm outnumbered on this.
At least 50% of Brawl's soundtrack (after you unlocked all of it) was actually originals.

I'd rather have both, like Brawl, as opposed to either or.

Outsourcing remixes to tons of venerable composers was a great way of including a lot of new, interesting remixes (some of which are honestly incredible and I can't believe anyone would think originals are better than some of Brawl's new tracks) as opposed to making them all in house.

I'M FINISHED!

At least 50% of Brawl's soundtrack (after you unlocked all of it) was actually originals.

I'd rather have both, like Brawl, as opposed to either or.

Outsourcing remixes to tons of venerable composers was a great way of including a lot of new, interesting remixes (some of which are honestly incredible and I can't believe anyone would think originals are better than some of Brawl's new tracks) as opposed to making them all in house.

I don't know what the exact ratios are, so I will just trust your number, but I wouldn't really care if the only new songs were for stages like Battlefield and Final Destination.

qq more

Yeah, I didn't care for those at all. What made them especially annoying was you couldn't turn them off with items on.

It kind of hurt fun matches where you'd want only a specific item turned on along with containers and half of the times you'd get nothing but stupid stickers from said containers. ugh Hated that so much. Worst part is that stickers are completely pointless outside of SSE.

I wish there was a code to disable stickers entirely.

i am still sticking to 28 so i dont overhype myself :p

28 as in the final roster count? That's... really really setting the bar low if so. lol

I'M FINISHED!

The stickers can go, but the CD's should stay. Without the SSE the stickers have no purpose now anyway unless you can use them in the adventure mode.

I'm gonna be so bummed if the music is one aspect they cut back on relative to Brawl. Its soundtrack is probably my favorite part of the game, both the original music and remixes.

I didn't mind CDs because I pretty much immediately made a Stage Builder stage to farm CDs and then just didn't need to worry about it after that. For some goofy reason I preferred the surprise associated with CDs and not knowing what music you'd get until you picked it up, so I suppose I'd rather the music need to be unlocked in some capacity than have it all from the get-go.

Top Bottom