• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP coming to Steam

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
It's up

http://store.steampowered.com/app/204060/

SPECIAL PROMOTION! Offer ends April 23rd
-25%
$5.99
-----

Confirmed: http://vimeo.com/39670641

April 16 for PC

http://www.swordandsworcery.com/news/2012/4/2/point-click.html

/////////////////////////// ANNOUNCING A NEW EDITION OF S:S&S EP

Ladies & gentlemen, old friends & uninitiated participants:

We are genuinely psyched to announce and/or acknowledge the existence of a new edition of S:S&S EP for the electric computer (ie: PC & Mac).

Here are the relevant bullet points:

Play this new edition at the Capy booth at PAX East in Boston in early April.
Point & click on PC via Steam 'before the next dark moon' aka 'very soon'.
This new edition will be made available for Apple computers 'before the summer solstice'.

Last spring around the vernal equinox, the original touchtronic edition of Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP was made available for iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad. Jim Guthrie's full-length companion record Sword & Sworcery LP: The Ballad of the Space Babies was launched alongside. Both have been warmly received by audiences & critics alike. It is our sincere hope that this new edition of the project will connect with a broad audience, people who have access to a computer and who have a fondness for musically-inclined computer-enabled stories of myth & mystery.

Note: This edition is intended to be a faithful representation of the original S:S&S EP experience. It has been minorly adapted to better suit player input via the two-button mouse, and some audiovisual elements have been subtly refined as appropriate by Capy, Jim Guthrie & Superbrothers Inc to better suit the electric computer platform.

To stay in the loop as more information becomes available you may wish to bookmark the S&S project's news feed (ie: swordandsworcery.com/news) and/or Capy's news feed www.capybaragames.com.

Should you wish to receive instantaneous micro-bulletins from Capy, Jim Guthrie & Superbrothers Inc on Twitter or if you'd prefer to be looped in via the Teletex Bulletin, an errative email broadcast from Superbrothers Inc, then please click here.

about this project:

The Sword & Sworcery project is an experimental, idiosyncratic first videogame/record from Superbrothers Inc & composer Jim Guthrie, created in collaboration with the seasoned videogame wizards at Capy in Toronto, Canada.

According to Colbert Report writer Rob Dubbin in his review of the original touchtronic edition of S:S&S EP at Kill Screen Magazine:

Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP is a transportive, cunningly woven adventure game that oozes confident work from every pixelated crenellation.. read full review

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hell yeah. Will double dip.

I've found that I don't really like playing games on my iPad (reading and browsing seem to be my thing), so this is great news for me. I'd much rather play the game on my PC.

I'm pretty sure I've heard of this 2-4 weeks ago in the Steam thread.

EDIT: Or maybe I have been in some kind of time vortex and the news is new. I don't really know.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
I have awoken to some great news. I'm going to hype myself and hope that it's playable at PAX.

Interesting. Sword and Sworcery is a game carefully designed around the capabilities of the iPhone; I'll be curious to see how they rework it for PC.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
PC Gaming is really the way to go for now. Already own it on iOS but I'll double dip. It should look gorgeos on my monitor.

Before building a new pc I'll wait for e3, or did they already shot down the steam box rumors ?

So, is it any good? I played it on iphone a bit, but didnt really understand it. Nice graphics and music, but I didnt encounter any real gameplay.

epmode

I'm pretty sure I've heard of this 2-4 weeks ago in the Steam thread.

EDIT: Or maybe I have been in some kind of time vortex and the news is new. I don't really know.
It's at least a few days old: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/for...rothers-Sword-amp-Sworcery-EP-coming-to-Steam

Is this a point and click-style adventure?

Kinda? Not really? It's almost a non-game. I think it's worth playing for the incredible art and music.

Metal-Geo

They need to make more Sword & Sworcery. EP was a great experience on the iPad, but it was way, way, way too short.

soultron

Banned
Yo, Capy. I love you dudes. I can finally play this. My roommate has had the damned game 4eva and he hasn't even played it yet! I always ask him, "Dude, did you play it yet? How awesome is it? Is it awesome?"

Now I can just play the damned thing myself!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I like this game (or "experience") a lot, it's not for everyone but it's one of those that will stick with you if it clicks. Better to go with no expectations, like with most things. Great OST.

Didn't think they'd port this anywhere to be honest, I always thought their Android abhorrence stem from not wanting do deal with porting, or maybe piracy. I just noticed the answer was changed in their help page too, in the early days it was just a link to a page with a flashing red NO.

WILL YOU MIGRATE THIS PROJECT TO ANDROID?

Sorry, but this will never happen.

Despite what you may have heard, Android is a total dead-end for a complex project & a tiny team like ours. It wouldn't just be unwise, it would be irresponsible.
http://www.swordandsworcery.com/helpemail/

Bento

This game is kind of made for iOS. This might be one of the rare times when a game is much better on iOS than on a PC.
How exactly? It's basically a point and click adventure game in many regards. Can't remember there being any puzzles or combat scenario that felt iOS only.

There was the twitter functionality, the pick-up-and-play aspect of the game and how you turned the iPhone/iPad for different mechanics that felt legitimately cool. I never got into the game as much as others did (never even beat it), but I did feel like it was a game built from the ground up for the platform and that made it seem fresh and exciting. You could recreate all that on a PC but I don't think it would feel as cool as it did on an iOS device.

Atomski

This game is kind of made for iOS. This might be one of the rare times when a game is much better on iOS than on a PC.

I'd rather point and click with a mouse than smudge and block view of the screen with my fingers....

I dont see how they will be any different at all, only thing is you wont need to flip the screen to go into combat.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Great news. I bought this game and my iPod broke a few days later and I never got to play it.

zroid

Banned
oh god, finally. for a while there, I was worried I might actually have to suck it up and buy an apple product just to play this. that's a relief!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Given that the PC has a gazillion more and better tools than iPhone/iPad...

The funny thing is that the people commenting about how the game is designed around the capabilities of iOS are people who have actually played the game, and you presumably have not, since you're missing what they're talking about.

They're not suggesting a gaming PC is not more powerful than an iOS device. They're suggesting that the basic gameplay of the game requires an accelerometer and thus would need to be remapped (whether to a button press or a gesture).

I like this game (or "experience") a lot, it's not for everyone but it's one of those that will stick with you if it clicks. Better to go with no expectations, like with most things. Great OST.

Didn't think they'd port this anywhere to be honest, I always thought their Android abhorrence stem from not wanting do deal with porting, or maybe piracy. I just noticed the answer was changed in their help page too, in the early days it was just a link to a page with a flashing red NO.

http://www.swordandsworcery.com/helpemail/

I'm not even sure I understand what they are trying to say there.

There was the twitter functionality, the pick-up-and-play aspect of the game and how you turned the iPhone/iPad for different mechanics that felt legitimately cool. I never got into the game as much as others did (never even beat it), but I did feel like it was a game built from the ground up for the platform and that made it seem fresh and exciting. You could recreate all that on a PC but I don't think it would feel as cool as it did on an iOS device.

Oh God. That was literally the worst thing in a game ever.

JWong

Banned
The funny thing is that the people commenting about how the game is designed around the capabilities of iOS are people who have actually played the game, and you presumably have not, since you're missing what they're talking about.

They're not suggesting a gaming PC is not more powerful than an iOS device. They're suggesting that the basic gameplay of the game requires an accelerometer and thus would need to be remapped (whether to a button press or a gesture).

I know how it plays, and I know how easy it is to redesign functionality into different control schemes.

My twitter feed on day 1 of this game was incomprehensible, heh. It was kinda annoying at the time but sorta nostalgic when thinking back to it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
A Vita port would have been ideal, but I'll take whatever I can get! The only "must play" game I've seen from iOS and I have been thirsty since its release.

Top Bottom