• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP coming to Steam

Thoraxes

Oh awesome. Will double-dip.

This will be like 10000x better with a great soundsystem too instead of with some headphones on a tiny screen. I wonder how they'll do the combat though, cause I really liked how they did it on iOS with the accelerometer.

I am p. confident this ain't no April Fool's, given what the Capy lads at GDC mentioned to me offhandedly. Buying this the second it lands.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Fix (remove) the moon based puzzle and I'm buying this again.

Taken from http://www.swordandsworcery.com

spacebabymousecursorsmaller.png

Seems like they will be showing it at PAX at the Indie Megabooth.

zroid

Banned
A Vita port would have been ideal, but I'll take whatever I can get! The only "must play" game I've seen from iOS and I have been thirsty since its release.

would LOVE a vita port. that system really needs to hurry up and get popular so devs will jump on the bandwagon. if sworcery is announced, it's a done deal, i'm getting a vita.

Mzo

The text in this game tries just way too hard to be irreverent and hip. It's ok I guess.

Played it once through and actually waited through the moon cycles irl. Can't see myself playing again. It was pretty charming.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Confirmed: http://vimeo.com/39670641

April 16 for PC

http://www.swordandsworcery.com/news/2012/4/2/point-click.html

/////////////////////////// ANNOUNCING A NEW EDITION OF S:S&S EP

Ladies & gentlemen, old friends & uninitiated participants:

We are genuinely psyched to announce and/or acknowledge the existence of a new edition of S:S&S EP for the electric computer (ie: PC & Mac).

Here are the relevant bullet points:

Play this new edition at the Capy booth at PAX East in Boston in early April.
Point & click on PC via Steam 'before the next dark moon' aka 'very soon'.
This new edition will be made available for Apple computers 'before the summer solstice'.

Last spring around the vernal equinox, the original touchtronic edition of Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP was made available for iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad. Jim Guthrie's full-length companion record Sword & Sworcery LP: The Ballad of the Space Babies was launched alongside. Both have been warmly received by audiences & critics alike. It is our sincere hope that this new edition of the project will connect with a broad audience, people who have access to a computer and who have a fondness for musically-inclined computer-enabled stories of myth & mystery.

Note: This edition is intended to be a faithful representation of the original S:S&S EP experience. It has been minorly adapted to better suit player input via the two-button mouse, and some audiovisual elements have been subtly refined as appropriate by Capy, Jim Guthrie & Superbrothers Inc to better suit the electric computer platform.

To stay in the loop as more information becomes available you may wish to bookmark the S&S project's news feed (ie: swordandsworcery.com/news) and/or Capy's news feed www.capybaragames.com.

Should you wish to receive instantaneous micro-bulletins from Capy, Jim Guthrie & Superbrothers Inc on Twitter or if you'd prefer to be looped in via the Teletex Bulletin, an errative email broadcast from Superbrothers Inc, then please click here.

about this project:

The Sword & Sworcery project is an experimental, idiosyncratic first videogame/record from Superbrothers Inc & composer Jim Guthrie, created in collaboration with the seasoned videogame wizards at Capy in Toronto, Canada.

According to Colbert Report writer Rob Dubbin in his review of the original touchtronic edition of S:S&S EP at Kill Screen Magazine:

Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP is a transportive, cunningly woven adventure game that oozes confident work from every pixelated crenellation.. read full review

Yoshiya

I'm ready to double dip, fantastic game. I'm in the mood for this sort of thing again after Journey.

All those who love the soundtrack should give Jim Guthrie's new release Children of the Clone a listen. Particularly the standout track, Room Full of Empty People.

LProtag

I don't have an iOS device so I was never able to play this, which saddened me.

I'm no longer sad. Also I might pick up the vinyl edition of the soundtrack.

Cartman86

Banned
I like this game (or "experience") a lot, it's not for everyone but it's one of those that will stick with you if it clicks. Better to go with no expectations, like with most things. Great OST.

Didn't think they'd port this anywhere to be honest, I always thought their Android abhorrence stem from not wanting do deal with porting, or maybe piracy. I just noticed the answer was changed in their help page too, in the early days it was just a link to a page with a flashing red NO.

http://www.swordandsworcery.com/helpemail/

I'm not even sure I understand what they are trying to say there.

Oh God. That was literally the worst thing in a game ever.

I'm assuming they are saying that with the large variety of Android devices out there that a small team such as them can't port it to all those devices, and porting to just a few isn't worth it to them.

I'd like to see someone like the Osmos team speak to this considering they used a third party tool to port it over. Also how different is it compared to how PC games work? Yeah you only have two GPU architectures on good PC's, but is there really that much more on Android? Is there anything wrong with targeting the major phones?

Cool, but I'm dying for them to update the iPad version to support Retina; as that will assuredly be the definitive S&S experience.

I wonder if this port is slowing things down on that front. :(

epmode

Cool, but I'm dying for them to update the iPad version to support Retina; as that will assuredly be the definitive S&S experience.
It'll be nice and all but the art style is all about giant chunky pixels. Retina will make the text look nicer I guess.

I wonder if this port is slowing things down on that front. :(

funny enough, iphone was the lead platform. Stuff happened which led to the ipad version to come out first.

epmode

HI CAPY

Make Clash of Heroes 2 for every platform please! But especially PC! I bought the first one three times so I deserve it!

Zia

iOS and PC version but no Android.

:(

And Mac.

Go Capy! Superbrothers: S&S EP is a game I like to revisit every quarter. It was something I looked forward to for a long time, and a handful of things let me down, most notably the dialog and Twitter system. The game could have been a classic if it had taken itself seriously. However, each time I play through I find myself enjoying the game more, and with each new platform I experience it on, further separated from that initial nitpicking disappointment of the game's (glaring) flaws, I fall deeper under its spell. Can't wait to play it on Steam.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
you don't HAVE to wait for the moon to change IRL. there's another way to do it.
Another
two ways
even, hinted in the in-game text.
Messing with the internal clock (seeing as a "cheat" by the game) or using the magic cave to make the phases change (the "correct" solution).

LaneDS

I don't have an iOS device so I was never able to play this, which saddened me.

I'm no longer sad. Also I might pick up the vinyl edition of the soundtrack.

It's been long since sold out, unfortunately. A re-print for the Steam release would be very appreciated, as I've been looking for alternate means to obtain a copy for a while now.

Oppo

fuck. i knew I should have bought an electric computer.

*glares at organic computer*

I saw Jim Guthrie play this soundtrack live at the Bell Lightbox in Toronto with an army of musicians on-stage and it was great :)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
What sort of game is this? Adventure game? The video from the announcement told me nothing.

The game has been out for like a year now. Have you tried using the internet to find out?

It's been long since sold out, unfortunately. A re-print for the Steam release would be very appreciated, as I've been looking for alternate means to obtain a copy for a while now.

The vinyl soundtrack has been reprinted and is still in stock. The soundtrack is also available on cassette. Also, the current vinyl comes with a special piece of art by Pendleton Ward.

EXGN

Hahaha man, Twitter integration. I dunno what did it worse, Uncharted 2 or Sword and Sworcery. #UnchartedUnfollow was epic though.

LaneDS

The vinyl soundtrack has been reprinted and is still in stock. The soundtrack is also available on cassette. Also, the current vinyl comes with a special piece of art by Pendleton Ward.

You have made my day! The Pendleton Ward thing only makes it better! Nearly $50 after shipping is a lot, but I've looked unsuccessfully for many months so this was a very nice surprise.

Top Bottom