• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP coming to Steam

jett

D-Member
The visuals are amazing, and the music in incredible. Some repetition aside, I'm really enjoying it. Really cool vibe.

teeny

Windowed mode would crash the game. And yeah I think that's what allowed it to actually run. I'm not overclocked on the gpu and not using any weird tools either.

I found a solution for me - I used RadeonPro and set up a profile that disabled the Catalyst AI from there. Hurrah, no more graphical problems. Thought you would like to know.

I found a solution for me - I used RadeonPro and set up a profile that disabled the Catalyst AI from there. Hurrah, no more graphical problems. Thought you would like to know.

Yup - the few people having graphical issues always have it go away when Catalyst AI disabled. We're trying to get answers from ATI directly on this one, but I'm happy theres a workaround.

YAY PC HARDWARE.

Blizzard

Banned
I've bought the game for myself on Steam, gifted to two other people, and plan to gift it to two more people (already picked who, sorry guys :p) later in the week, so I'm doing my part. :)

graywolf323

stupid appendectomy causing me to miss work :( I cannot afford this even at only $6 until I can get back to work and get paid again

Gvaz

Banned
Yup - the few people having graphical issues always have it go away when Catalyst AI disabled. We're trying to get answers from ATI directly on this one, but I'm happy theres a workaround.

YAY PC HARDWARE.
To be fair, Catalyst AI hurts more than it hinders most of the time.

I'm really impressed at all the little touches. Like the birds you
have to find
, they stick around on the trees near where you found them later on. The little amounts of pixel movement near your character, the way the music and the game meshes together, etc

Is anybody else really put off by the devs trying to get free advertising by outright begging people to "Tweet this" in the game?
Uh, it was something that happened in the iOS game as well, I don't really see the problem. You're not forced to at all.

chiablo

Is anybody else really put off by the devs trying to get free advertising by outright begging people to "Tweet this" in the game?

edit: That came across a little harsh... I hate Twitter, and don't like it invading my personal space. :p

teeny

edit: That came across a little harsh... I hate Twitter, and don't like it invading my personal space. :p

Well, you only have to say no once, so it isnt extremely invasive.

My thought behind it is that it was developed not only as an audio/visual experience, but also as a social experiment. Like when I used to compare Zelda maps with friends at school, and share the cool scenarios we experienced, except for a social-networking focussed age.

YAY PC HARDWARE.

Yeah, the only problem is that I couldnt disable the bloody thing through the Catalyst Control Center for some reason, and it took me ages to find a solution. Well worth it, though. Ive wanted to play this game since it first came out, but dont own an iDevice. I actually seriously considered buying an iPad in part because of this game, so I am happy you decided to release it on PC.

Thanks!

Gvaz

Banned
So I was super excited to play this.

Then I started playing and didn't really enjoy it.

I kept at it anyways, and by the end I really enjoyed it again.

Glad this was on the PC, all the art would have been lost to me had I played it on my ipod touch.

That did come across a little harsh, but our skin is thick and our intent is true. The good thing is, you don't have to use it. At all, ever.

My thought behind it is that it was developed not only as an audio/visual experience, but also as a social experiment. Like when I used to compare Zelda maps with friends at school, and share the cool scenarios we experienced, except for a social-networking focussed age.

That's exactly what the intent was - plus we wanted to give people the chance to share any piece of writing they felt spoke to them.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Finished the game, and after a bit of an iffy start (something seems terribly bugged with dragging the bird statues) I really enjoyed it by the end. As a package, the game is operating at its absolute best when the music and visuals are joined as one. Certain jaunts through the forest to building music, and the epic sounds of the Triangle battles are some powerful stuff.

That said, theres so many weird 'off' design decisions about the game. The game does a terrible job of teaching you its control mechanisms all across the board. I don't like the clashing flash looking artwork of the spirit chappies and the record and the really amateurish looking lightning effects taking away from the superb pixel artwork. The writing was also trying waaaaaay too hard to be clever, and took the edge off an otherwise lovely ambient experience.

Didn't enjoy the game as much as I thought I would, but it was still a nice and novel experience.

Logfella was voiced by Robert Ashley right? I quite enjoyed that.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
This game is awesome. But I found a typo! "Andre the giant ASSEMBED a posse..."
That's been in the iOS version since the beginning as well. :p

"Last year before the yuletide Andre The Giant assembed a posse & we set out to re-assemble The Trigon Trifecta." #sworcery"

WTB iPad retina support

jvalioli

Really great game. Enjoying the experience (about 70% in)

Well, you only have to say no once, so it isnt extremely invasive.

They ask you whether you want to tweet at the beginning of the game but "tweet this?" pops up a little bit on stuff and dialogue mentions the "social experiment" a few times. It is kinda annoying.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
That's been in the iOS version since the beginning as well. :p

"Last year before the yuletide Andre The Giant assembed a posse & we set out to re-assemble The Trigon Trifecta." #sworcery"

WTB iPad retina support

I figured I couldn't be the only one to notice. Is it not cost effective to release a patch to add one letter to a word in a game?

shiiitttttt typo. there's a whole lotta text in the game so we were bound to miss one or two (right? right?)

thanks for noting it. we'll get'er fixed next patch.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
shiiitttttt typo. there's a whole lotta text in the game so we were bound to miss one or two (right? right?)

thanks for noting it. we'll get'er fixed next patch.

I can't believe no one told you about it before if it was in the iOS version, too! Does that make me the most pedantic man on the internet? I will wear it with pride.

Blizzard

Banned
Has anyone seen a case where in an early on boss fight
when the black shadow rushes you next to a statue
, you don't have a shield? They say they only see the sword I guess, but they used the shield in an earlier fight
with the wolf
?

I don't know if it's a bug or what, but it makes me feel kind of bad since I gifted the game to them and I want them to be able to actually play it. XD

Has anyone seen a case where in an early on boss fight
when the black shadow rushes you next to a statue
, you don't have a shield? They say they only see the sword I guess, but they used the shield in an earlier fight
with the wolf
?

I don't know if it's a bug or what, but it makes me feel kind of bad since I gifted the game to them and I want them to be able to actually play it. XD

If this is right after getting the megatome the boss can not be defeated, the player has to run back to the hut and once the player gets to the gate the boss will stop following the player. The boss will initiate combat if it touches the player and a faded out sword icon will appear that will do nothing when click because the characters sword is sheath; the player has to right click to unsheathe the sword after doing so a new screen should appear with a the shield and sword icon. If they have already done this then it must be a bug.

Blizzard

Banned
If this is right after getting the megatome the boss can not be defeated, the player has to run back to the hut and once the player gets to the gate the boss will stop following the player. The boss will initiate combat if it touches the player and a faded out sword icon will appear that will do nothing when click because the characters sword is sheath; the player has to right click to unsheathe the sword after doing so a new screen should appear with a the shield and sword icon. If they have already done this then it must be a bug.
Yeah, it's
when they are in the hallway, when you get to the statue that didn't do anything, the boss appears and forces you to fight. Maybe they didn't try pressing right click again, I dunno.

Jharp

So, uh, I hate to be a dissenter, but this isn't a very good "game".

It's hyper linear, terrible at explaining its mechanics, without adequately incentivizing the player to discover those mechanics on their own (such as, say, Demon's/Dark Souls), and immensely repetitive.

That said, I love the artstyle, writing, and music. I just hate the part where I have to play it.

If it makes any difference, I've only played the first two Sessions, but I have no interesting in playing the rest. It's just not good. Like, at all. As a game.

Would have been a great two-three hours pixel-animation movie or something.

Unfortunate that the game's sincere shortcomings have been overlooked in the face of its "indie cred." Especially considering there are tons of games that nail both excellent visual/audio styles AND gameplay, such as Meat Boy, Bastion, Fez, Outland, etc.

epmode

Non-games or almost-games can be fun too. I guess you're not into visual novels or adventure games or anything like that.

Dascu

So, uh, I hate to be a dissenter, but this isn't a very good "game".

It's hyper linear, terrible at explaining its mechanics, without adequately incentivizing the player to discover those mechanics on their own (such as, say, Demon's/Dark Souls), and immensely repetitive.

That said, I love the artstyle, writing, and music. I just hate the part where I have to play it.

If it makes any difference, I've only played the first two Sessions, but I have no interesting in playing the rest. It's just not good. Like, at all. As a game.

Would have been a great two-three hours pixel-animation movie or something.

Unfortunate that the game's sincere shortcomings have been overlooked in the face of its "indie cred." Especially considering there are tons of games that nail both excellent visual/audio styles AND gameplay, such as Meat Boy, Bastion, Fez, Outland, etc.
Curious thing: I think this game is way more enjoyable to play than Bastion. Opinions and all that.

Jharp

Non-games or almost-games can be fun too. I guess you're not into visual novels or anything like that.

I'm not sure that's it. It's just... frustrating. For example, the fourth puzzle involving the sprite things that you have to summon to sooth the storm, the game does nothing (unless I missed something) to indicate the solution to you. Instead, I just ended up clicking on every last thing in the environment, till i got a sound out of the trees that... looked like the trees in every other section of the game, where they served as background decoration. That's like annoying 90's point and click adventure game stuff, but just super simplistic. That and the boss fight in Session II were enough to make me look at the game and just say to myself "wow this looks and sounds amazing. If only it were fun."

I just played Ico for the first time recently a couple months ago, and it instantly became my favorite game of all time because it actually changed how I view games. I used to enjoy big open action/adventure games (your Skyrims, D- Souls, Risens, Zeldas, etc.) and Ico made me realize that adventure and discovery were really the parts of those games I enjoyed most. Since then I've gone into stuff like Journey, a game I never thought I'd ever care about before I played Ico, and found one of the most intensely unique and emotional games of discovery and adventure I've ever played (in spite of its own linearity and repetition), which is roughly what I expected out of Sword and Sworcery.

Instead I got a game that feels like it was made by people who don't know how to make games.

Maybe it's just me. I mean, i really appreciate it as a product, and like I said, game looks amazing and sounds even better. It's just not clicking with me in the way that I feel like it wants to. It's hard to have a fluid sense of adventure in a game that seems to purposely want to impede that very sense of adventure by being so poor at communicating itself to the player.

I'm always willing to entertain the possibility that it's simply just me, but i really don't think I can be the only person who feels this way. Or am I?

I'm not sure that's it. It's just... frustrating. For example, the fourth puzzle involving the sprite things that you have to summon to sooth the storm, the game does nothing (unless I missed something) to indicate the solution to you. Instead, I just ended up clicking on every last thing in the environment, till i got a sound out of the trees that... looked like the trees in every other section of the game, where they served as background decoration. That's like annoying 90's point and click adventure game stuff, but just super simplistic. That and the boss fight in Session II were enough to make me look at the game and just say to myself "wow this looks and sounds amazing. If only it were fun."

I just played Ico for the first time recently a couple months ago, and it instantly became my favorite game of all time because it actually changed how I view games. I used to enjoy big open action/adventure games (your Skyrims, D- Souls, Risens, Zeldas, etc.) and Ico made me realize that adventure and discovery were really the parts of those games I enjoyed most. Since then I've gone into stuff like Journey, a game I never thought I'd ever care about before I played Ico, and found one of the most intensely unique and emotional games of discovery and adventure I've ever played (in spite of its own linearity and repetition), which is roughly what I expected out of Sword and Sworcery.

Instead I got a game that feels like it was made by people who don't know how to make games.

Maybe it's just me. I mean, i really appreciate it as a product, and like I said, game looks amazing and sounds even better. It's just not clicking with me in the way that I feel like it wants to. It's hard to have a fluid sense of adventure in a game that seems to purposely want to impede that very sense of adventure by being so poor at communicating itself to the player.

I'm always willing to entertain the possibility that it's simply just me, but i really don't think I can be the only person who feels this way. Or am I?

Have you ever played other point-and-click adventures? Monkey Island, King's Quest, Broken Sword?

Jharp

Curious thing: I think this game is way more enjoyable to play than Bastion. Opinions and all that.

I'm certainly not going to begrudge anyone their opinion, and I'm totally fine with people who don't like Bastion, or may like a game like this more than Bastion. But in terms of pure game mechanics (as in, apart from the visual and sound styles), don't you think Bastion is simply more competent at understanding that it is both a game and that there is in fact a player who is at the driver seat the entire time?

I really hope that doesn't sound as pretentious or argumentative as it does when I reread it- I'm not trying to tell you you're wrong. I'm inquiring how you view both Bastion and S&S view themselves and their relationships with the player.

Jharp

Have you ever played other point-and-click adventures? Monkey Island, King's Quest, Broken Sword?

Yeah, and while admittedly not a huge fan of them, those games tend to communicate with the player relatively well. I mean, i know the genre is known for it's dumb puzzles and pixel hunting nature, but aren't those for the most part seen as annoying relics of the past, and cardinal sins for modern games to repeat? The difference between old 90's adventure games and S&S is that S&S has two decades of old adventure game mechanics to inform its design, and it doesn't seem to be taking those cues.

Like I said, the trees in that puzzle look exactly like the trees in every other scene of that "area" in the game- there is simply no indication or hint that the solution to the song involved in that puzzle would be those trees. You just have to click on shit till you get a reaction out of something. Am I the only one that sees a problem with this?

Yeah, and while admittedly not a huge fan of them, those games tend to communicate with the player relatively well. I mean, i know the genre is known for it's dumb puzzles and pixel hunting nature, but aren't those for the most part seen as annoying relics of the past, and cardinal sins for modern games to repeat? The difference between old 90's adventure games and S&S is that S&S has two decades of old adventure game mechanics to inform its design, and it doesn't seem to be taking those cues.

Like I said, the trees in that puzzle look exactly like the trees in every other scene of that "area" in the game- there is simply no indication or hint that the solution to the song involved in that puzzle would be those trees. You just have to click on shit till you get a reaction out of something. Am I the only one that sees a problem with this?

Some people see them as annoying relics. Myself, I have no problems with them. Part of the charm, for me, about Sword & Sworcery is how as an adventure game it felt like playing something from back when adventures took off. I can definitely see how it's a turn off for some and the game is definitely not for everyone.

Also, even though it's technically a point-and-click adventure game, I keep thinking of it as an "experience" game along the lines of something like Journey.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I liked that sense of discovery, myself. When you realize what it is you need to do. I'd love to see a more complex version of those puzzles.

Nimajneb

Non-games or almost-games can be fun too. I guess you're not into visual novels or adventure games or anything like that.

I love adventures games, and a few visual novels, but I also found this game to be quite bad. When I got to the third guess what order to touch these objects "puzzle" within the first hour of the game, I called it quits. Finding the puzzles is actually much harder than the puzzles themselves, you have to run around tapping everything with no indication what to do.

This is nothing like those games. It's 100% pixel hunting and trial and error with little feedback, none of the logic.

This is nothing like those games. It's 100% pixel hunting and trial and error with little feedback, none of the logic.

I know, but I was curious if this was just a completely new genre for him/her. Again, some people like the pixel hunting and trial and error. It's not for everyone. I love hidden object games which are a subgenre of adventures.

ArjanN

I agree about the tree thing. That was as random as any oldschool "Honey on the cat hair makes a moustache" puzzle.

Nimajneb

I know, but I was curious if this was just a completely new genre for him/her. Again, some people like the pixel hunting and trial and error. It's not for everyone. I love hidden object games which are a subgenre of adventures.

I really enjoy trial and error when each attempt gives you insight into the logic behind it, and you eventual learn what you have to do. Recently, I found games like Braid, Limbo, and Hitman: BM to be very rewarding precisely because they don't tell you what to do, it's up to you to figure it out. In S&S however, you just run through each possible combination. There's no thought behind it at all.

Cranzor

I'm sorry if this has been asked, I skimmed through the thread and couldn't find anything about it. I just bought the game and the actual game looks fine, but the menu and text are completely blurry. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Dascu

I'm certainly not going to begrudge anyone their opinion, and I'm totally fine with people who don't like Bastion, or may like a game like this more than Bastion. But in terms of pure game mechanics (as in, apart from the visual and sound styles), don't you think Bastion is simply more competent at understanding that it is both a game and that there is in fact a player who is at the driver seat the entire time?

I really hope that doesn't sound as pretentious or argumentative as it does when I reread it- I'm not trying to tell you you're wrong. I'm inquiring how you view both Bastion and S&S view themselves and their relationships with the player.

Here's the thing, I think S&S has better gameplay and is more fun to play than Bastion. Even if you'd strip away the visuals, music and all that superficial presentation, I think I would rather try S&S again. I fully understand your point and I agree that core gameplay goes above all, but I also find that the appreciation of this core gameplay itself is already very subjective.

Misguided

Banned
I just finished this. I enjoyed what I played, but I feel like the puzzles should have been deeper, and harder than just trial-and-error style. The combat was relatively enjoyable too. The presentation is really great, and so too is the humor, but I felt like these things were pushing the game a little too heavily; there should have been more interesting and challenging gameplay at the helm, IMO. As well, when I finished it, I just didn't feel like it should have been over. The game kind of just ends right where you expect it to, on the top of the mountain.

Top Bottom