• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch at 4.7 million | ARMS: 1.18 Million, Zelda: 3.92M, Mario Kart 3.54M

AniHawk

Fair point, I don't know if saturation is hit for launches regardless of time or not. I guess stock is what's holding them back.

well i remember the psp was hard to find in america for a while - not until july, but i remember working at gamestop and taking preorders for the second and possibly third shipments into april/may because it was a pretty hot-ticket item. 360 is an example of a system that wasn't that hot but was difficult to find during its launch more or less because of the holiday season. nintendo didn't have a problem with 3ds's demand, nor wii u, or even gamecube.

ds was sold out for the holiday in which it launched - especially the week and days before christmas. i think ps4 and xb1 were difficult to find later in december as well, but became easier to find in the new year. it generally seems that unless you have a bomb or a lower-tier seller like xbox or gamecube, systems generally are hard to find near launch thanks to the holidays. if you launch outside of the holidays, then it's up to the popularity of the platform to tell the story. in this case, the switch selling out at this time of the year puts it closer to psp and gba than it would vita or 3ds for example.

z0m3le

Banned
well i remember the psp was hard to find in america for a while - not until july, but i remember working at gamestop and taking preorders for the second and possibly third shipments into april/may because it was a pretty hot-ticket item. 360 is an example of a system that wasn't that hot but was difficult to find during its launch more or less because of the holiday season. nintendo didn't have a problem with 3ds's demand, nor wii u, or even gamecube.

ds was sold out for the holiday in which it launched - especially the week and days before christmas. i think ps4 and xb1 were difficult to find later in december as well, but became easier to find in the new year. it generally seems that unless you have a bomb or a lower-tier seller like xbox or gamecube, systems generally are hard to find near launch thanks to the holidays. if you launch outside of the holidays, then it's up to the popularity of the platform to tell the story. in this case, the switch selling out at this time of the year puts it closer to psp and gba than it would vita or 3ds for example.

I mostly agree with this, but it is important to point out that Switch sells out within hours of a restock, that is a different beast to just being hard to find like other consoles.

RRockman

Banned
Yeah boiiii! ARMS is going great! Reminds me of Sega's dreamcast glory days. It's honestly one of my favorite games of the year. I was never worried about the Switch beating the crap out of the Wii U either honestly. Anyone who doubts it at this point is simply in denial.

Neith

Banned
Okay so people are thinking 15 million by January? I guess Nintendo will have a lot of stock ready then. I guess I have no idea.

Mafro

And some people on here were falling over themselves saying ARMS was a bomb after its performance in the UK charts.

Velcro Fly

I was skeptical in March but this looks like it is working. Turns out when you deliver tech people want and can deliver games in short order that you will have success. Now on to the heavy hitters later in the year.

RRockman

Banned
And some people on her were falling over themselves saying ARMS was a bomb after it's performance in the UK charts.

It's like if something is different and or includes motion controls it must suck right? The hardcore needs to chill and try something new.

BlazinAm

Okay so people are thinking 15 million by January? I guess Nintendo will have a lot of stock ready then. I guess I have no idea.
They should increase production by September for fall/winter demand. They should be able to hit at least 16 million.

Owensboro

It's not like he's wrong. At retail the only other games you've got to play are ports and multi platform releases. (Lego City, Binding of Isaac, Disgaea, Puyo Tetris, Cave Story, Cars, etc.)

The only other notable releases are Bomberman and 12 Switch, and I doubt folks are snapping up systems to play either of those.

Except with the multi-platforms and indies there are indeed many things to play on the system? I mean, I don't know about you but I've loved playing Puyo, Thumper, and Neo-Turf Masters on the go. Shovel Knight, Cave Story, and Blaster Master have been great "retro" additions. SnipperClips and now Overcooked are great local multi-player games . Like, honestly, this "no-games" narrative with super arbitrary rules is a little tiring after a while.

That's not how you write Twintelle

DB3UTExV0AAik9u.jpg

Wtf is that official art? That's horrid if she has actual hands growing out of her hair.

jts

...hate me...
That's not possible if they can't solve the current production issues. But even with those, assuming production stays at least at the current baseline, 15M is reached sometime within 2018.

My point was that sales don't grow fast until they reach 10M and then just fall off a cliff. There's enough data to suggest that critical mass + momentum are decisive for the sales expectancy of a console.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Well deserved. I'm really happy with my switch right now.
I'm not, there is too many multiplayer games I can't beat all these noobs at everything, there isn't enough hours in the day!

MTC100

Banned
Switch has yet to face its first holiday season, hopefully it takes off even more.

Not with Nintendos manufacturing issues. They are only getting what they ordered, which is far less than the global demand. Japan is especially going nuts for the Switch, they could sell 5m there alone by the end of the year, judging by demand... People are still lining up there to get one like it has launched this very week xD

MTC100

Banned
Does MK and Zelda's attach rate mean it's still mainly Nintendo's core audience picking up the console?!

I think it means people want to play the best game of all time and some Mario Kart. It also means most people didn't buy a WiiU which is understandable.

Zedark

Does MK and Zelda's attach rate mean it's still mainly Nintendo's core audience picking up the console?!
Not necessarily, no. The generally strong sales of third party games like Bomberman, Disgaea 5, NBA Play ground and others would suggest that the audience here has a broader interest than just Nintendo games.

ksamedi

So just under 700K a month? I guess if they keep that up they will just hit 10 million by FYE when you factor in Christmas (Assuming there is stock). Yeah a 50 million over 5 year gen, whilst not sad is probably not what they wanted, especially if it's replacing the 3DS AND home console.

Fair point, I don't know if saturation is hit for launches regardless of time or not. I guess stock is what's holding them back.

I dont think it will peak at 10 million a year. That would be desastreus. You will see a growth in sales in second and third year especially. Depending on what new things they come up with, you could see steady shipments of 18 million a year for 3 years straight. Wii numbers is really not out of reach, especially if you consider how the hardware quality is just way above what Nintendo did in the past, and they also have a solid lineup for the upcoming years.

Just look at those attach rate and software ratio holy shit... All first-party too... It could've been the next Wii but Nintendo fucked up big time with the production.

4.7 million seems low compared to software.

Feltrol

Banned
Just got my Switch and I'm in love with it! Well deserved success.

Though I'd like to see the issues with the screen, dock and joycons fixed.

TannerDemoz

Really impressive. Nice one Nintendo – and with Mario still to come!

How does this line up alongside PS4 and XB1 for comparison?

Yeah boiiii! ARMS is going great! Reminds me of Sega's dreamcast glory days. It's honestly one of my favorite games of the year. I was never worried about the Switch beating the crap out of the Wii U either honestly. Anyone who doubts it at this point is simply in denial.

That's good call. It does remind me of Dreamcast, mostly because it feels like a pure, awesome arcade experience.

Zedark

Insane that ARMS is in more than 1/4 of every Switch owners hands.
Well, not quite in 1 in 4 Swicth owners' hands since these numbers are shipped not sold to consumers, and they will have shippe units to provide for demand in July. Could very well be close to every 1 in 5, though.

Malakai

What does this even mean? Those 2 titles are the basically the only major titles on the Switch during the time period. A third party(ies) need to release something if they want sales. Releasing nothing guarantees zero sales.

ARMS already a million seller and the Switch almost at 5 million without a holiday season... Gaf predictions never fail, the Switch is going to be insane. Congrats Ninty.

Looking at those immediate February (or whenever that presentation was) reactions to the Switch is goddamn embarrassing now.

Also I predict that Skyrim Switch will sell absolutely stupid numbers for a 2011 game.

Nintendo is killing it and well deserved. Zelda, MK8DX, Arms, Splatoon 2 AND Mario during the first 8 months after its release is an insanely good line up. I hope I find the time to give some of the indies my support between those.

My PS4 was collecting dust until MGS5 came out and then again until Bloodbourne. And the platform being as strong as it is in 2017 has nothing to do with Sonys first party effort, which is lacking compared to PS3 imo, and all thanks to the stellar japanese 3rd party output. That's a matter of personal taste though of course.

Looking at those immediate February (or whenever that presentation was) reactions to the Switch is goddamn embarrassing now.

Also I predict that Skyrim Switch will sell absolutely stupid numbers for a 2011 game.

I have faith too, but it's looking like a stealth release and that's going to hurt its performance.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Dude, I love Metroid but its not selling 5 million units. Prime sold 2.78 million, and it's the best-selling Metroid ever.
Both of you are wrong... We don't know how well Prime 4 will do since we don't know what kind of game it will be and how strong of a push it will get.

Prime 1 launched over 15 year ago and Prime 3 will be 10 years old this year. You can't compare the Switch to the Cube or Wii because of multiple reasons.

I think the hype for Prime 4 will be higher than for previous games and if... That's a big If they can deliver a game that really pushes the genre and gets great scores it could outsell the Prime. The market has grown quite a bit for these type of games.

5mbis probably a but much though... lol.

Servbot24

Banned

What else would anyone buy?

The supply restraint on the other hand might mean that only hardcore fans are picking it up so far since you have to be somewhat vigilant to get one.

Servbot24

Banned

That presentation was absolutely horrible and cast a very bad light on the future of Switch. Just because Switch has sold well doesn't mean everything Nintendo does is perfect and inspiring. And just because a product legitimately forecasts poorly doesn't mean it can't have a turnaround.

Considering Nintendo's trajectory combined with the depressing conference, predicting mediocre Switch sales was the correct prediction. Sometimes the correct prediction does not turn out to be the actual result.

Top Bottom