• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch at 4.7 million | ARMS: 1.18 Million, Zelda: 3.92M, Mario Kart 3.54M

wrowa

I don't understand how ARMS has sold that much given the figures we know.

For June NPD it sold about 250k including digital.

Japan physical was around 150k last time I checked?

UK it sold less than 15k in June. France it debuted at number 1 but quickly slipped below Zelda and MK8. Germany it didn't set the charts alight.

Where are all these extra copies coming from to get over a million in two weeks?

These numbers are shipment + digital, so they also include a) stock still sitting on shelves and b) untracked eShop sales.

Zelda and Mario Kart with huge attach rate and the new IP ARMS already at 1 million plus during the summer season? Oh man I'm afraid and excited to see Odyssey's LTD sale.

Eolz

13.6M total softeare
-3.92M Zelda
-3.54M MK8
-1.22 1-2 Switch.
-1.18M ARMS

That's ~ 3-3.5M of third party software for 4.7M consoles.

Not really good this part...

There's no big third party game on Switch yet tbh. Either old ports, indies, Bomberman or similar mid tier games.
Edit: nothing similar to what was on 3DS yet too.

HeroR

Street Fighter is kind of a bad example as SFV completely failed to make a dent outside of that fighting game bubble.

I was talking about Street Fighter as a franchise, not just Street Fighter V, which has issues which is why it failed to chart. If you want a recent example, used Tekken.

Fukuzatsu

13.6M total softeare
-3.92M Zelda
-3.54M MK8
-1.22 1-2 Switch.
-1.18M ARMS

Not a great sign for it no--consider that with these 4 games alone, 72.5% of all software sales are tied up by Nintendo-exclusive games. Kinda goes without saying but this is not the case for any other platform. Uncharted or Halo will always sell a cool few million or more, but the best selling games (let alone a majority of all software sold) aren't exclusives.

Point being here, and what may prove problematic later on, is what happens if there are Nintendo droughts or if games like Rabbids or FE Warriors don't review/do well. It's one thing when you have ace after ace like with BotW and Splatoon, and eventually Mario Odyssey, but we'll see if they can maintain momentum into December.

Zedark

Can I ask you why? All sales indication tell us it'LL be massive, and in Japan alone it sold 671k in 3 days, which is over half of ARMS' sales for two weeks already.
Waiting on US numbers.
The original game sold massively over there as well. We don't have Splatoon 2 numbers for US, and won't until halfway througg August at the earliest, but amazon US ranking shows it as the 18th best selling gaming product of the year, a massive achievement for any game. It's really not going to bomb there.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
13.6M total softeare
-3.92M Zelda
-3.54M MK8
-1.22 1-2 Switch.
-1.18M ARMS

You cant buy or sell what doesn't exist. Unless I'm missing some big games that Capcom, SE, EA, Activision or Ubi have launched on Switch.

jts

...hate me...
I don't like the market encouraging cheap, lazy sequels.
It's not a sequel, and it's definitely not lazy.

They took the best Mario Kart to date, polished the hell out of it, fixed the shortcomings, added content and made it better. Hell, I wish that would happen to so many games I love.

Now, unfortunately it's also not cheap. That's my main complain about it. Clearly it panned out for them but as a MK8 owner on Wii U, the single player experience for MK8D was definitely not as enjoyable as any other Mario Kart, because I knew all of the tracks already. For that, I feel a bit burned for paying full price (in all fairness, it was a bit cheaper by getting it from Amazon.jp eShop code).

Mediking

Not a great sign for it no--consider that with these 4 games alone, 72.5% of all software sales are tied up by Nintendo-exclusive games. Kinda goes without saying but this is not the case for any other platform. Uncharted or Halo will always sell a cool few million or more, but the best selling games (let alone a majority of all software sold) aren't exclusives.

Point being here, and what may prove problematic later on, is what happens if there are Nintendo droughts or if games like Rabbids or FE Warriors don't review/do well. It's one thing when you have ace after ace like with BotW and Splatoon, and eventually Mario Odyssey, but we'll see if they can maintain momentum into December.

Mario Rabbids is selling a million... easily. It looks like a very high quality game.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Nintendo handhelds have been pretty much healthy third party destination's.
In recent years? The only thing I can think of 3DS getting in the last couple years that mattered was Monster Hunter.

As it stands, no third party games out on the Switch right now were going to draw in a massive crowd. Even Minecraft's audience is limited on the system.

Majora

These numbers are shipment + digital, so they also include a) stock still sitting on shelves and b) untracked eShop sales.

Oh ok, the numbers are shipped?

In that case people might want to hold off calling ARMS a big success just yet because the figures we actually know don't support it being close to that 1.18 million number just yet (and remember that the US 250k number DOES include digital).

HeroR

The PS4 is a beast. But Switch might have been on the same pace without supply constraints, which is crazy.

Didn't PS4 launch during November so it also had Holiday sells, while the Switch launch n March which is a low period for console sells?

Fukuzatsu

If you're only playing exclusives maybe? But I have Bomberman, Cave Story, and Disgaea as well. I'd also have Puyo Tetris if they actually included Japanese voices.

Anyway. Good on Nintendo. I wanna see all of the console manufacturers do fairly solid tbh.

Judging from the proportion of sold software made up of exclusives, this doesn't seem to be the case for the larger market. The best-selling third party game on this system is Bomberman, a game that released with god awful performance and so-so reviews.

Shiggy

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 3.54m
ARMS - 1.18m
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 1.16m (3.92m LTD)
Switch software sales this quarter - 8.14m (three titles above represent 72.2% of all sales)

It's a Nintendo machine again :D

Fukuzatsu

Didn't PS4 launch during November so it also had Holiday sells, while the Switch launch n March which is a low period for console sells?

Important to remember that PS4 didn't launch at the same time in all territories. In Japan it launched in February 2014, for example.

random25

I'd say Minecraft is the biggest third party game released on the Switch by far.

As for sales.. didnt Bomberman surpass half a million in sales?

I'm just kidding about Bomberman R. Just saying there's really not much noteworthy 3rd party games released so far other than the few mentioned.

We still have to wait for the other games to get released before we can see a much clearer picture about 3rd party sales on the Switch.

Looking at the 3DS and Wii U software lists now, it looks like Super Mario 3D Land and World could overtake NSMB2 and NSMBU. That would be the first time that 3D Mario has ever outsold 2D Mario.

Pokemon SuMo still steaming along too. Will likely be the best selling Pokemon game since GS nearly 2 decades ago.

Switch 1st party software is doing pretty good without a holiday season yet. ARMS at 1.1m after two weeks, it should clear 2-3m by the end of the fiscal year pretty easily. Breath of the Wild could be the best selling Zelda game ever after the holidays.

Mario Kart 8 has now moved 11.89m units. You may recognize this number as about 10x what Polygon predicted in their infamous article.

Those are Switch only Zelda sales btw.

The Wii U version should put it over 5 million. Already outsold Wind Waker, Majora's Mask and Skyward Sword.

Top Bottom