• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Pro controller takes the throne for me in terms of controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomeru

DS4 is king. Size is perfect. Button placement is perfect. D-pad is perfect. Responsiveness is perfect. Battery could be better lol, but it doesn't bother me one bit.

If you break it then you did something wrong. It doesn't mean its built badly (that would make it break for eveyone, which it obviously didn't), yet they still made it better with the latest revision.

It's also the easiest controller to work on out of all of these, if you need to fix or replace something. The xones' is a nightmare to work on...

I think I would agree. Xbox One was the champ but I've had so many fucking disconnections on Xbox One that are ten times more common for me on PC; I'm sick of it. I can't even get through an hour of PC gaming without the Xbone controller losing connection 3-4 times. And this is with a USB cable.

Thinking of switching to my Switch Pro for PC.

Are you sure it's not the USB cable at fault?

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
All this priase of teh Pro controller is going to push me over the edge to get one. Not gonna lie, I was inthe skeptic boat on the controller based on 1 or 2 ealry impressions... but after hearing dozens of hands on experiences I am becoming a believer.

Plus teh idea of leaving Joycons on the switch when docking seems nice.
Do your self a favor. Buy it. Like right now.

PrimeBeef

Are the triggers analog? Or just on/off. Because if it's the latter then the xbone controller is still my favorite. It's definitely a very nice controller though.
I know the difference in analog triggers/buttons but can someone give me an example of where it's used and for what in previous Nintendo games. Maybe I completely missed out, I just never remember needing or using them in the past.

linkboy

All this priase of teh Pro controller is going to push me over the edge to get one. Not gonna lie, I was inthe skeptic boat on the controller based on 1 or 2 ealry impressions... but after hearing dozens of hands on experiences I am becoming a believer.

Plus teh idea of leaving Joycons on the switch when docking seems nice.

I picked one up on launch night (last one my Best Buy had), while having one ship from Amazon.

Couldn't be happier. The minute this thing gets better PC support, I'm going to be super happy.

I know the difference in analog triggers/buttons but can someone give me an example of where it's used and for what in previous Nintendo games. Maybe I completely missed out, I just never remember needing or using them in the past.

The GC, to be honest. The initial Wii Classic Controller had analog triggers, but Nintendo removed them on the Classic Controller Pro

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
It's always funny to me how analog triggers (or the lack thereof) seem to make or break a controller for so many people here.

I get it: they're great for racing games. And if you play a lot of racing games, it makes sense that you would like analog triggers.

But I find them terrible for everything else, especially fighting games, because they're not instantaneous. If I need my button press to be instantaneous, then it has to be digital and low travel. Besides, very few games in history have really made use of them outside of racing games. There's Super Mario Sunshine and... what else, exactly? For emulation and PC gaming in general, I find digital triggers better. Plus, most racing games can be played well with digital triggers anyway.

I can understand why you would want an Xbox One controller though if you don't want to get confused with the ABXY layout in modern games. I use a Wii U Pro controller and a Switch Pro Controller on my PC, and while they're definitely my favorite controller, the button layout can be problematic on games that use Xbox nomenclature for button prompts. That really is my one single gripe with them. Other than that, those Nintendo controllers are the absolute best overall. Between the d-pad, the comfort, the battery life and the layout for emulated games, they're just a no-brainer.

MAX PAYMENT

DS4 is king. Size is perfect. Button placement is perfect. D-pad is perfect. Responsiveness is perfect. Battery could be better lol, but it doesn't bother me one bit.

If you break it then you did something wrong. It doesn't mean its built badly (that would make it break for eveyone, which it obviously didn't), yet they still made it better with the latest revision.

It's also the easiest controller to work on out of all of these, if you need to fix or replace something. The xones' is a nightmare to work on...

Except the controller feels like it cost them 3 dollars to make. Build quality is genuinely bad.

massucci

Banned
The DS4 was never even on the throne to begin with.

I love the pro controller, but I'd give it to the One controller based on the fact it has analog triggers. If the pro did, I'd easily give it the crown.
Opinions. Terrible build but layout still remains my favourite for the most of games.

Can't be the best without analog triggers. Not that Nintendo has any huge racing sims to use them, I guess, but still.
It's damn comfy though, warily my favorite Nintendo controller.

VeeP

Layout is good, but the battery life and overall build quality is weak on the DS4. XO Controller > DS4. Haven't used the pro controller but it seems high quality.

Twookie

yeah the pro controller is really good. I still like the Xbox One Elite controller better though

for me: XO Elite> Switch Pro > DS4 > Regular XO controller > rest

TheFatMan

The Pro controller pricing is ridiculous in my opinion. Not sure why the hell it cost so much, other than that I think it's up there with the DS4 in terms of comfort.

Kudo

The Pro controller pricing is ridiculous in my opinion. Not sure why the hell it cost so much, other than that I think it's up there with the DS4 in terms of comfort.

It's almost the same as Dualshock 4 in my country, and it comes with USB-C cable that adds to the price.
US prices will probably go down with time, DS4 wasn't 45$ when it launched iirc.

Gwyn

It's always funny to me how analog triggers (or the lack thereof) seem to make or break a controller for so many people here.

I get it: they're great for racing games. And if you play a lot of racing games, it makes sense that you would like analog triggers.

But I find them terrible for everything else, especially fighting games, because they're not instantaneous. If I need my button press to be instantaneous, then it has to be digital and low travel. Besides, very few games in history have really made use of them outside of racing games. There's Super Mario Sunshine and... what else, exactly? For emulation and PC gaming in general, I find digital triggers better. Plus, most racing games can be played well with digital triggers anyway.

I can understand why you would want an Xbox One controller though if you don't want to get confused with the ABXY layout in modern games. I use a Wii U Pro controller and a Switch Pro Controller on my PC, and while they're definitely my favorite controller, the button layout can be problematic on games that use Xbox nomenclature for button prompts. That really is my one single gripe with them. Other than that, those Nintendo controllers are the absolute best overall. Between the d-pad, the comfort, the battery life and the layout for emulated games, they're just a no-brainer.

You can customize the triggers in elite not sure about regular Xone controller though

sd6KdHP.png

magnetic

I've been going back and forth in my head - 330 for the the Switch alone falls kinda into "I deserve a treat!" - territory, but with Zelda and the Pro it's another 130€ on top, and I just know if I didn't buy the Pro directly, my hands would regret it.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

$10 more than other controllers when new hardware launches.
The reasons for that are:
- margins (obviously, let's not kid ourselves)
- HD rumble
- Gyroscope
- NFC
- 40-hour battery life

Not saying $70 is cheap by any means, but let's not pretend controllers haven't been priced in that ballpark at launch for generations now. They're always around $60, so $10 more isn't outrageous considering the quality of the design and the technology inside.

Outrun

The Elite has trigger locks for FPS, or games where you need a quicker response.

Also the Elite is mappable and has paddles.

My order would be XB1 Elite -> Switch Pro -> XB1 Standard -> DS4 although I'm not sure if it's fair to compare the elite to what are standard controllers for other consoles. As others have said if the Pro had analog triggers it would be neck and neck with the elite in my opinion, even with the much smaller price tag.

ggx2ac

The Wii U Pro Controller was good but, the Switch Pro Controller is even better. It's very comfortable and the stick/button placement is good which are also both bigger than the ones used in the Joy-Cons.

I have no problems using the Joy-Cons but the Pro Controller is that good that I can't help but use it.

Oh, and I don't use the Joy-Con Grip. It was hilarious how small the Joy-Cons attached to the grip felt that I chose to just use the Joy-Cons separately.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
The Elite has trigger locks for FPS, or games where you need a quicker response.

Also the Elite is mappable and has paddles.

Fair enough. In absolute terms, the Elite has a bunch of additional features that no other controller has that might be cool. I can understand why you'd like it over other solutions.

But the thing literally costs twice as much as the Switch Pro controller, and that one is already being lambasted for being a mere $10 more than regular controllers. AND the Elite controller still managed to have hardware problems (I think there's a Crowbcat video about that).

That's like saying the Neo Geo took the crown in terms of hardware back in the 16-bit. I mean, yeah, sure, it's gorgeous and it's literally an arcade machine, but also, nobody could afford one or cared enough to buy one.

The Elite controller is a niche proposition, and for most people, price is a significant factor when trying to assess which controller is the best overall. That's why I'm not including it. By June 2016, it had sold 1 million units. A 5% attach rate is nothing to write home about. Again, it's a niche product.

Besides, I was talking about analog triggers specifically anyway. That's the argument I see all the time when people say Nintendo's Pro controllers are not perfect. That's what I don't get, because that's a plus to me, not a con.

Crayon

I agree. I'm over the analog triggers. For a racing game, I'd rather use the right stick for gas and brake.

Funny enough, the old pressure sensitive buttons on ps2 where more accurate than anything for throttle and brake control but nobody liked them.

buttdiver

No headphone jack is the only issue for me

The stupid ds4 and xb1 lights ruin those controllers for me since they're so distracting and you can't turn them off

Never tried the elite controller

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I agree. I'm over the analog triggers. For a racing game, I'd rather use the right stick for gas and brake.

Funny enough, the old pressure sensitive buttons on ps2 where more accurate than anything for throttle and brake control but nobody liked them.

I don't think most people even noticed that PS2 buttons were pressure-sentitve anyway lol.

Xbone Elite is GOAT. Anyone who disagrees hasn't tried it. And to be honest, after using my Switch Pro, I immediately went back to seperate joycons. DualShock 4 is a step above trash.

Elite looks genuinely great but I've never tried it. For me it'd go XBO then Switch Pro then Wii U Pro then way down the list the PS4. Just not ergonomic and doesn't fit in hands well, awkward stick placement, cheap build quality, bad battery life, terrible placement on share and options buttons, useless touch pad and light. Wish Sony would release an upgraded controller or one that removes the useless features and improves battery and has offset have higher quality sticks. No reason for default position to be the dpad anymore Sony.

Crayon

I don't think most people even noticed that PS2 buttons were pressure-sentitve anyway lol.

No it was an unloved feature. I didn't realise how good they where until tourist trophy forced me to use them by needing independent front and rear brakes as well as an analog axis to shift body weight front and rear. There was nowhere to turn but the pressure buttons and they where actually great.

Analog triggers today are hardly used and just feel floppy most they time. I wish the pressure buttons won.

Coxy100

Banned
Not used the Switch Pro - can't see how people can like it as it looks huge

Personally love the DS4 followed by the 360 controller. The One controller is ok too

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
No it was an unloved feature. I didn't realise how good they where until tourist trophy forced me to use them by needing independent front and rear brakes as well as an analog axis to shift body weight front and rear. There was nowhere to turn but the pressure buttons and they where actually great.

What I mean is that if you're not told about the pressure-sensitive buttons, they don't look or feel like they are pressure sensitive. Analog triggers, on the other hand, are visibly analog: you can feel the travel as you press them.

Analog triggers today are hardly used and just feel floppy most they time. I wish the pressure buttons won.

Amen.

Personally love the DS4 followed by the 360 controller. The One controller is ok too

Rest assured: the Switch Pro looks huge in pics but that's because of the big buttons and chunky form factor. I have one next to me as I type this, and it's actually smaller - though heavier - than the Wii U Pro controller, yet more comfortable, if you can believe that. I think the offset analog stick is what lets it be smaller. And when I say smaller, I mean its height is lower, and its width is shorter.

Arklite

Nintendo's 'pro' pads since at least Wii U seem to get a lot of praise, but I get this slightly annoying feeling of how they keep offering a 'real' controller separate to offset their packed in experiment. This is even worse for the Switch as the joycons don't get you a full D-pad and the accessory pricing is high.

On this Switch Pro pad I like the look of the oversized buttons, though I've read mixed feelings on the D-pad. The stick's larger looking diameter seems comfortable too.

linkboy

The Switch Pro controller is roughly the same size and the 360 controller, the handles are more narrower being the only difference.

DS4 loses out on battery life and durability. I remember the analog stick literally rubbing off in the first year. A problem I've never had in any of my controllers that quickly.

Jury is still out on the pro controller in regards to durability.

XB1 controller is still king to me.

atr0cious

I really wish the wii u gamepad was fully configurable. If you could play your PC game on the screen and have full go with it's abilities, it would be in the running for GoaT.

Fair enough. In absolute terms, the Elite has a bunch of additional features that no other controller has that might be cool. I can understand why you'd like it over other solutions.

But the thing literally costs twice as much as the Switch Pro controller, and that one is already being lambasted for being a mere $10 more than regular controllers. AND the Elite controller still managed to have hardware problems (I think there's a Crowbcat video about that).

I mean, you're not wrong on those points, but Elite's additional features aren't just 'cool', y'know? They enable you to do more in-game than any other controller. Playing Halo 5 with one genuinely feels like cheating at times. I think it's hard to dismiss that just on the basis of its price. I think it makes more sense to just concede that it's one of if not the best controller out there and attach the caveat that it comes at a premium price.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
First reply nailed it.

It's a very good controller, but it's not quite as good as the PS4 or Xbox One controller (though it's close to PS4) and especially not anywhere near the Xbox One Elite, and it isn't even close.

Elite > > Xbox One reg > > PS4 > Switch pro

Vibed

I'm loving the Pro, except the d-pad is a little weird. The whole thing depresses as one button with very little rock, meaning it's way too easy to accidently press up or down as you press left or right, and vice versa. The center shouldn't depress, but instead be raised a bit, so as to prevent this.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I mean, you're not wrong on those points, but Elite's additional features aren't just 'cool', y'know? They enable you to do more in-game than any other controller. Playing Halo 5 with one genuinely feels like cheating at times. I think it's hard to dismiss that just on the basis of its price. I think it makes more sense to just concede that it's one of if not the best controller out there and attach the caveat that it comes at a premium price.

I play FPSes on PC with a keyboard and mouse :p. Also, even though it never had much in the way of FPSes, the Wiimote, to me, was better than traditional controllers anyway. I find traditional controllers all-around terrible for first-person games.

So yeah, the Elite's features clearly aren't for me, especially not at that price.

I play FPSes on PC with a keyboard and mouse :p. Also, even though it never had much in the way of FPSes, the Wiimote, to me, was better than traditional controllers anyway. I find traditional controllers all-around terrible for first-person games.

So yeah, the Elite's features clearly aren't for me, especially not at that price.

You ain't wrong, that's how I play games too. I even picked up a Xim4 specifically for games like Uncharted 4 and Halo 5, specifically because - as long as I'm gonna sit through a campaign I'm gonna enjoy it to it's fullest. And frankly, I can't enjoy a shooter to its fullest with a controller unless that's the only way I can play the game.
With that said, Elite controller is the only way I can play certain games with certain friends of mine, and it's so far beyond any other controller I've ever used in terms of functionality and build quality that I can't in good faith just dismiss it from the running. Especially not on the basis that it's so clearly the best that it's slotted into a different level of product and we shouldn't even bring it up, lol

CO_Andy

i find the Xbox Elite dpad to be utter garbage for Street Fighter, unless the one i own is defective

also the toggle switchs behind the controller are uncomfortable

The Dude

It sort of reminds me a bit of the mechanical keyboard situation.. I been Pc gaming since mod 80s, built machines since the 90s, been in basically all the MMOs that came our way and have always been In the upper echelon of characters for the most part, Pc gaming is my main platform... Ill spend 700 to 1000 on gpus, but I still have really no interest in mechanical keyboard or the need to move Keys around etc... I've done everything on Pc with basic keyboards. It's sort of like the elite controller, all those fancy options I don't see myself using. The xbox one S controller I've used on Pc just fine and it works, there's nothing more I could need from a controller at this point.. It's all about comfort In my hand when using it.

So you have to expensive peripherals that just don't feel worth it to me when I look at what I can do. It's not like Im gaming and I'm hindered.

Now its not to say I won't eventually try to find even a used one around 80 or 90 just to see what the hoopla is, but there's nothing that is drawing me to it.. It as I said reminds me of the way people go on about mechanical keyboards, I personally just don't feel that must own feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom