• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Pro controller takes the throne for me in terms of controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ion Guru

It's definitely a great controller, but the Xbox One Elite is still top dog in my opinion.

Xbox One Elite > Switch Pro Controller > Xbox One S Controller > PS4 Controller > Xbox 360 Controller >>>>> PS3 Controller

Offset sticks for life. The PS4 controller is pretty good overall, but the useless light bar, share button (at least one that replaces the OG select button), and trackpad are just such bizarre design choices in a controller.

Arkam

Do your self a favor. Buy it. Like right now.

Mission accomplished! Feels good in the hand. It is charging right now for BOTW session the evening. Was surprised how hard it was to find (locally). None of the local stores had any. Had to pop one town over to grab one.

Orayn

It is really, really good.

Ergonomics are easily on par with the Xbox One controller, which is otherwise my favorite.

Sticks are perfect.

D-pad is great.

Buttons are great.

Battery life is phenomenal.

Easily one of the best you can get. I'll use it on PC for anything that doesn't need analog triggers as soon as someone makes an Xinput wrapper for it.

ggx2ac

Why the hell does it not have analog triggers?

Because Capcom doesn't make racing sim games.
Not kidding, Nintendo always listen to requests from Capcom like making The Circle Pad Pro for 3DS so that people could play Monster Hunter with more buttons and a second circle pad.

AllenShrz

Is very comfortable controller.

I still prefer the ds4 or the elite. Elite could be perfect but for me, changing the 2 types of dpad for fighting games and none are good at it is annoying. That's the only thing is holding it back.

The Dude

You really owe it to yourself to invest in a reasonably priced mechanical keyboard. Like, going from the joycons to a Pro Controller or Xbox One controller to the Elite Controller is not even close to the jump from any non-mech desktop keyboard to a mechanical keyboard.

The issue is I find no discomfort or issues when using my keyboards. Like a bad feeling controller would lead me to want a new controller, and that's why I'm not quick to get a new keyboard. And there's also the scenario where my Pc gaming now is either done with a controller, or Its alot of crpgs, or adventure gaming. I'm not into MMOs anymore, and that is where I used my boards the most. Id of probably jumped quicker if I still played them. Shooters I mainly do on ps4 since most my other friends are there.

bionic77

I actually think all the consoles have good controllers at this point.

You might have a preference between one over the other but I don't mind using any of them at this point.

Switch Pro controller is nice but my favorite feature is the battery life.

rekameohs

Banned
It is really, really good.

Ergonomics are easily on par with the Xbox One controller, which is otherwise my favorite.

Sticks are perfect.

D-pad is great.

Buttons are great.

Battery life is phenomenal.

Easily one of the best you can get. I'll use it on PC for anything that doesn't need analog triggers as soon as someone makes an Xinput wrapper for it.
Amazingly, Switch Pro Contoller actually natively has DirectInput support on PC.

Fjordson

I like it, but I still think my favourite is the Xbox Elite controller. I use it for PC games and it just feels so good. Maybe a little unfair comparing it to other controllers though with it being $150.

I really dislike the DS4. The light bar is worthless and a battery killer, I've had multiple triggers break, and the rubber on the sticks of my launch controller have disintegrated. Maybe some of those quality issues have been ironed out but mostly I just hate how fast the battery dies.

I agree about the light bar; it's sort of astounding that 3 years in they still haven't given us an option to turn it off.

But I do not understand battery complaints on the DS4. My gaming sessions usually run 2-3 hours, and the DS4 battery doesn't even get down to the halfway mark. How long are y'all playing your PS4s for anyway? The DS3, now that was a controller with a shit battery.

goldenpp72

I agree about the light bar; it's sort of astounding that 3 years in they still haven't given us an option to turn it off.

But I do not understand battery complaints on the DS4. My gaming sessions usually run 2-3 hours, and the DS4 battery doesn't even get down to the halfway mark. How long are y'all playing your PS4s for anyway? The DS3, now that was a controller with a shit battery.

Nicer to plug in once a week, rather than once a day.

I think the Xbox elite control edges it out simply for the customisation of sticks/dpad/button and the mapping but also the grips
The switch pro controller is great but I find it too light

I'd rate it
Xbox elite control >Switch pro>ds4

DS4 is not a good controller, I don't understand why Sony can't get this part right. It's always a slightly worse experience playing with it.

Heh, I actually tried, last night, to get an X1 controller working with Horizon on PS4 but despite the claims of the Brooks adapter people, R3 + L3 didn't trigger the touchpad press. Sigh. PS4 Pro is the best console in the world right now with the best library but the controller frustrates me.

linkboy

Try reading reports of people who use Bluetooth headsets + a Bluetooth gamepad with the Shield tablet. It ain't pretty. Since both joy-cons connect via Bluetooth even when connected to the tablet the interference is likely too high. I wouldn't expect Bluetooth headset support ever, frankly.

I use a Bluetooth transmitter with my Switch, and it works great.

The Dude

But what else makes the elite so great? I mean all those adjustments I wouldn't bother with. So it still would be simply an Xbox controller. My X1S controller I am willing to bet would be pretty similar. I know if I spent 140 on that thing I'd be feeling like it was a waste, but that's just my opinion at this moment.

Ion Guru

But what else makes the elite so great? I mean all those adjustments I wouldn't bother with. So it still would be simply an Xbox controller. My X1S controller I am willing to bet would be pretty similar. I know if I spent 140 on that thing I'd be feeling like it was a waste, but that's just my opinion at this moment.

The paddles are the main functional difference. Other than that it just feels fantastic to hold, but it certainly isn't necessary. It's a luxury item for sure, much like how great mechanical keyboards feel to type on. The standard Xbox One, PS4, and Switch Pro controller are all pretty great though.

IISANDERII

Every. Damn. Time.

For $150 goddamn dollars I'd expect that shot to be the best thing since sliced bread. That's like comparing a BMW versus a Honda Civic.

OP: no headphone jack, digital triggers and non symmetric analog sticks hold back an otherwise great controller. DS4 edges it out.
Yep, and the Honda still has the better build quality and reliability.

TheFatMan

DS4 has shitty battery life....

I have never understood this complaint about the DS4. You would think it has a 3 hour battery life or some shit as much as people bitch and whine about it.

I literally just got done playing Horizon for 8 hours and my DS4 still had charge in it when I put it in rest mode. Like how fucking long are you gaming that 8+ hours of controller usage is "shit".....

Lexxism

I have never understood this complaint about the DS4. You would think it has a 3 hour battery life or some shit as much as people bitch and whine about it.
Funny enough. That's how long my launch DS4 last on Horizon (or pretty much every game I play). The only thing that will last me over 5 hours is the controller that comes with Pro.

Xbox One controller for me all the way. Comfort and decent battery life. The Switch Pro Controller is great though. In terms of battery life though the Wii U Pro controller is absolutely insane with 80 hour. I barely ever have to charge it. It's amazing.

The lack of analogue triggers excludes it from the race for me, Nintendo need to get with the program. The Xbox pads are still king with the Elite being by far the best. I couldn't put a DS4 in a top 10 of all time while keeping a straight face. They improved the ergonomics a lot but it's still a duff controller with major issues.

kubev

The Xbox's ABXY are the ones that are reversed.

I'd argue that Nintendo's button layouts stopped making sense with SNES. Oddly, as much as I dislike the GameCube controller's face button layout, the arrangement of the buttons relative to one another actually makes the most sense for Nintendo games.

Code:
   Y
B     X
   A

It would've allowed for a more sensible layout for NES backwards-compatibility, with the placement of X and Y arguably making more sense, assuming that they were referring to the X and Y axes.

Microsoft gets a pass, because Microsoft was more so copying Sega's Dreamcast controller layout, which was Sega's Genesis/Saturn layout with the two right buttons omitted.

Yoday

What do people hate about dual shocks anyhow? The dpads are good. The buttons are good. The sticks are good. Is it the small size?
The DS4 is fine, but it has too many shortcomings that keep it from being as good as the XBO controller, especially the newest revision. The triggers, while better than the DS3 by a mile, feel cheap and aren't even remotely close to as comfortable as the XBO triggers. The battery life is a complete joke. I fired up my PS4 for the first time in nearly a year, and I was legit shocked at how fast the battery died. I'm used to my XBO controller lasting multiple days of heavy use before a quick and easy battery swap, and the DS4 died on me after one evening of playing Horizon. I also really don't like the sticks specifically because of the material used. They went from a soft rubber at launch that had more grip but wore down and peeled incredibly quickly, and now they use a harder rubber that is more durable but much more slick. My thumbs constantly lose grip on the DS4 sticks because the material is too slick and the shape provides very little grip. I also really don't like the touch pad. It was a novel addition at first, but it's proven to be nothing more than a gigantic button. It's a largely useless addition that feels awkward to use compared to a simple button. Also, while not really a negative, Sony could learn from what MS did with the bumper buttons. Having seamless control of RB and RT with a single finger is amazing. For example, you can easily and comfortably do an area attack (RB+RT) in For Honor with one finger. Or, in Battlefield you can through a grenade or spot an enemy without ever removing your fingers from the triggers. It's fantastic!

All of that said, I love the face buttons, and the share button on the DS4.

Chopini

Neo Member
I love my Switch Pro controller besides little play/wobbly in analog sticks not sure if this is an issue since seems none notice it. It makes controller little less premium for me. All my DS4s there are no play. This is my only complaint though other than that the best controller I ever own.

Halabane

Thinking the OP has not tried the elite. All the PS controllers are below the xbox simply by mechanics of the location of the joysticks...for me. Offset is the only way to go and the weight and feel of the xbox is better. (that light blows,especially since its useless for most of us)
I don't like the weight/balance as much of the Nintendo controller versus any of the xbox controllers but its minor. I would put the Nintendo controller below xbox but I have not tried anything with the HD rumble. Really think the pro controller and the xbone controller are pretty much the same.

The Dude

Although like others have said, I think it'd go without saying that the elite should be the best at that price.. I mean if not then what a piece of shit it'd be.

I am willing to bet the X1S I have is on par with it for the most part, I'm sure they have the overall same feel when holding it

The Dude

My last tidbit here tho is I've made one charge on my pro since the switch dropped, and it's still at max battery... Insane

iHaunter

I really dislike the DS4. The light bar is worthless and a battery killer, I've had multiple triggers break, and the rubber on the sticks of my launch controller have disintegrated. Maybe some of those quality issues have been ironed out but mostly I just hate how fast the battery dies.

New DS4 controller has better battery life...

Nerrel

The lack of analogue triggers excludes it from the race for me, Nintendo need to get with the program.

Unfortunately with the crap digital triggers, this controller simply can't be the king.

I cannot understand the big fucking deal everyone makes about analog triggers. If you're not playing a racing game, they add nothing and make the controls worse. Digital is more precise and responsive when analog input isn't used, which is 95% of the time. I've never even used the analogs on my Steam controller once, and it's been my go-to PC controller since it launched. It's just not a big deal, and I would honestly still choose digital over analog given the choice.

And even if you just really like analog triggers anyway, calling the Switch triggers "crap" is unfair. They feel great, easily the best digital triggers I've ever used.

The Dude

I cannot understand the big fucking deal everyone makes about analog triggers. If you're not playing a racing game, they add nothing and make the controls worse. Digital is more precise and responsive when analog input isn't used, which is 95% of the time. I've never even used the analogs on my Steam controller once, and it's been my go-to PC controller since it launched. It's just not a big deal, and I would honestly still choose digital over analog given the choice.

And even if you just really like analog triggers anyway, calling the Switch triggers "crap" is unfair. They feel great, easily the best digital triggers I've ever used.

Couldn't agree more.

I literally just got done playing Horizon for 8 hours and my DS4 still had charge in it when I put it in rest mode. Like how fucking long are you gaming that 8+ hours of controller usage is "shit".....
It needs to be charged more often which is pretty annoying at times when compared to its predecessor.

If you dont have a dock, it just gets tedious to plug that thing in all the time. I use a cell phone charger next to the couch when needed

My xbone controller lasts me like 2 weeks on rechargeables. My ds4 lasts 2-3 days. It's simply tedious to plug that thing in all the time.

M_A_C

Yeah even in racing games, I just have the trigger pushed all the way in 95% of the time anyways.

Also, yeah this controller is 10/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom