• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Swordman attacks people at school in Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolOff

Info still a bit muddled.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34602621

A masked man with a sword has been shot by police at a school in Sweden after injuring an adult and four students, according to reports.

One of the victims was seriously injured, a hospital spokesperson said.
The condition of the attacker is not known.

Police told the Swedish news agency TT that there was "considerable confusion" at the school, in the western city of Trollhattan.

"We have a number of people injured," said Stefan Gustafsson from the regional police force.

Mr Gustafsson confirmed that officers had shot a man on the premises.
"His condition is unknown," he said.

Police said the attack took place in the cafe area of the Kronan school, which has 400 students. Students were seen fleeing the building

Trollhattan is near Gothenburg, Sweden's second-largest city.

Swedish media are saying one dead at the moment, and the assailant being in "serious condition".

Volimar

You don't see many crazed swordsmen these days. Wonder what this was all about. RIP to the victim and hope the others recover.

Razmos

If swords had been banned he would have just gotten one off the black market anyway.
If only they had swords to protect themselves with, ect ect.

All that aside, I wonder what his motive was? or why a sword of all things.

Africanus

I find it sad I couldn't muster up feelings of shock or disappointment after only reading injuries all around and one death. Condolences for the dead child, what potential lost!

Anyways, I'm assuming he had some sort of motive or was mentally ill, with more leaning towards the latter regarding his sword use.

CoolOff

The assailant is around 20 yo (the school is for kids 7-15). He apparently had a few different "knife-like" weapons.

11 years old and killed by a crazed swordsman... I can't even begin to find words.

The person confirmed dead is a teacher in his 40s.

Chariot

If swords had been banned he would have just gotten one off the black market anyway.
If only they had swords to protect themselves with, ect ect.

All that aside, I wonder what his motive was? or why a sword of all things.
My guess is that he actually had a sword because he couldn't get a gun. But just imagine how much more kids he could've hurt and killed with a gun. I guess it also made it easier for the police to take him down. They apparently managed without killing him.

But then again, I wonder about the mask. Maybe he was really a crazy roleplayer or something like that.

Liljagare

Gold Member
My guess is that he actually had a sword because he couldn't get a gun. But just imagine how much more kids he could've hurt and killed with a gun. I guess it also made it easier for the police to take him down. They apparently managed without killing him.

But then again, I wonder about the mask. Maybe he was really a crazy roleplayer or something like that.

Yepp, luckily, the crazies here have a hard time getting guns. Serious criminals can always find them, but I doubt they'd be anywhere near being involved in things..

So screwed up, hope the kids are ok.

Fuck, one victim dead. We don't get these kinds of massacres often here in Sweden. It's always felt like something that only happens in America, not here in peaceful Sweden. I guess we should be happy the perpetrator didn't have a gun

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Nobody's safe anymore, not even in this country that has traditionally been very spared of these things. "Luckily" we only have one dead so far, had this been America you can bet guns would have been used and it would have been 10+ instead. Here regular crazies don't really have access to guns, it's something only hunters and serious criminals have.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
One of the teachers was killed. 11 and 15 year old kids seriously injured, currently undergoing surgery.

R.I.P. :(

Pennywise

Fuck, one victim dead. We don't get these kinds of massacres often here in Sweden. It's always felt like something that only happens in America, not here in peaceful Sweden. I guess we should be happy the perpetrator didn't have a gun

Nobody's safe anymore, not even in this country that has traditionally been very spared of these things. "Luckily" we only have one dead so far, had this been America you can bet guns would have been used and it would have been 10+ instead. Here regular crazies don't really have access to guns, it's something only hunters and serious criminals have.

Stuff like this always happens and will always happen.
Allthough it's certainly a rare occassion luckily.

Hope the injured kids will make it :(

mellz

Seems like it was a knife, not a sword.

EDIT: Many different "knife looking objects" according to police.

mellz

From a student: – När vi såg honom först trodde vi det var ett skämt. Han hade mask och svarta kläder och ett långt svärd. Det var elever som ville ta kort med honom och känna på svärdet, säger Laith.

My translation: We thought it was a joke when we saw him first. He had a mask and black clothing and a long sword. Some students wanted to take pictures with him and feel the sword, says Laith.

source: http://www.svt.se/nyheter/regionalt/vast/laith-14-sag-svardmannen-pa-skolan

Fucking bizarre.

Chariot

From a student: – När vi såg honom först trodde vi det var ett skämt. Han hade mask och svarta kläder och ett långt svärd. Det var elever som ville ta kort med honom och känna på svärdet, säger Laith.

My translation: We thought it was a joke when we saw him first. He had a mask and black clothing and a long sword. Some students wanted to take pictures with him and feel the sword, says Laith.

source: http://www.svt.se/nyheter/regionalt/vast/laith-14-sag-svardmannen-pa-skolan

Fucking bizarre.
Ah, shit. But yeah, who is going to think that somebody runs amok with a sword.

dity

Fucking bizarre.

That's so damn weird. So basically they just thought he was a cosplayer?

Funnily enough, I kinda don't blame them. Swords are so rare to see these days they all probably thought it was a prop - I know I would have.

Jokab

Ah, shit. But yeah, who is going to think that somebody runs amok with a sword.

That's so damn weird. So basically they just thought he was a cosplayer?

Funnily enough, I kinda don't blame them. Swords are so rare to see these days they all probably thought it was a prop - I know I would have.

Apparently some other kid also saw that it was in fact a real sword and fled for his life.

Chariot

Apparently some other kid also saw that it was in fact a real sword and fled for his life.
I hope he called for help at least.

GAF unwritten rule #494: Any thread that has nothing to do with the US will eventually be about the US.
The USA is leader in the first world when it comes to people going bonkers and attacking schools and most Gaffers are american. Of course they are important to mention.

mellz

11 year old boy in very critical condition. Attacker was shot in the chest by Police. Police now knows who the attacker was and is searching his apartment.

Keasar

Hopefully the injured kids makes through this.

Vila i fred to the dead teacher. :(

Edit:
Prime minister Stefan Löfven have released a statement on Regeringen.se.
– Det här är en svart dag för Sverige. Jag tänker på offren och deras familjer, elever och personal, och hela det drabbade samhället. Inga ord kan beskriva vad de går igenom just nu. Vi känner med dem, och vi ska se till att de får allt stöd de behöver.
– This is a dark day for Sweden. I'm thinking of the victims and their families, students and faculty, and the entire affected community. No words can describe what they are going through now. We feel with them, and we will make sure they receive all the support they need.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
PNRrSzT.png

Possibly fake.

zon

Most likely it's the 11 year old who didn't make it since the teen was in stable condition.

Rest in peace kid..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom