• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Swordman attacks people at school in Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ullus

Yes. Well, it's not the sole motivator and no one said it was, but since the attacker appears to be not only a racist shitheel but also appears to be a Gamergater at the same time I think that's worth bringing up.

I don't see the relevance.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
9eTzVxM.jpg

e: oop beaten on last page.

peakish

Seems like a psychopath, but I don't see why we need to speculate further about the motives until the police knows more.

I hope the other victims make it through.

Dio

Banned
I don't see the relevance.
If you want to know why someone did what they did, isn't learning about what frames their worldview relevant? There's tons of documentaries about 'Behind the Killer' and stuff like that for a reason, people generally want to know what shapes someone into the kind of person that does something like this.

vityaz

A man has been arrested by the police near a school in northern Sweden (Hortlax, Piteå). Apparently he was bicycling near/towards a school, swinging an axe.

source

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
What is that sword supposed to be? Is there a wire coming out of it? And it had a trigger or something?

Ullus

If you want to know why someone did what they did, isn't learning about what frames their worldview relevant? There's tons of documentaries about 'Behind the Killer' and stuff like that for a reason, people generally want to know what shapes someone into the kind of person that does something like this.

Why not bring up the music he listens to and all the WW2 stuff then? Seems more relevant to the case.

Dio

Banned
Why not bring up the music he listens to and all the WW2 stuff then? Seems more relevant to the case.

Okay then, I will:
More liked:

WWII "Nazi Mega Weapons" videos
HITLER'S SECRET WEAPONS

Actually, there are like 10 times more videos about videogames, feminism, prank calls, and atheism than there are about WW2. It's kind of hard to find anything like that amidst it all.

Other than that, there's a few bands like Amon Amarth, Tyr and Rammstein.

chalex010

Banned

He also appears to be atheist, but if anyone claimed that what he did was due to a lack of moral guidance through the one true lord and savior Jesus Christ they would rightly be treated like a fucking idiot.

Let's not make assumptions about what drives people to do depraved things in the moment, information will come out in time. The only concern should be how to stop it from happening in the future.

Volimar

We should stop giving these assholes notoriety. We should all give details but no identifying information.

There was a fake news site where Obama signed a law prohibiting media from using a shooter's name. I thought it was a good idea, but the first amendment would make such a law somewhat unenforceable.

I'll agree that the Gamergate stuff in isolation is irrelevant.

But, in Sweden, the big boogieman for the nationalist crowd also happens to be the feminist left. The feminist party campaigned on the slogan "out with the racists, in with the feminists". The more established left-wing parties and pro-immigration movement is also overwhelmingly feminist. The people who like to spew hatred towards immigrants tend to be the ones who do the same towards feminists.

However, I don't think we should read too much into the identity yet. It hasn't been confirmed from any reputable news source yet.

Before we all start condemning this man we're linking facebook and youtube-accounts to, remember Boston Marathon Bombing. Chill with the accusations until we have the facts.

lazygecko

The YouTube history overall just paints him as a stereotypical edgelord cynic whose world view revolves around hating things. I mean, it's right there in his username. Hatred is an intoxicating mindset which certain people are extra receptable to, and it's especially prevalent in the modern zeitgeist what with all the shit going on whether that be gamergate, school shootings, or raging anti-immigrant sentiments.

That's horrible, my condolences to those effected.

Also, that's very bizarre that people were posing with him before the attack happened.

Dio

Banned
Before we all start condemning this man we're linking facebook and youtube-accounts to, remember Boston Marathon Bombing. Chill with the accusations until we have the facts.

Fair enough. It seems likely but it's totally possible it's not the attacker's youtube page. We're just making assumptions based on available information.

obin_gam

As a teacher in Sweden this is horrifying. Would have never thought anything like this could happen.
Ta hand om er SweGaf!

What in the actual fuck?

One of the pupils said he had a "Star Wars" mask on. Don't tell me he was some psycho and this was regarding the upcoming movie....

Poor families of the victims....

Walpurgis

Banned
I'll agree that the Gamergate stuff in isolation is irrelevant.

But, in Sweden, the big boogieman for the nationalist crowd also happens to be the feminist left. The feminist party campaigned on the slogan "out with the racists, in with the feminists". The more established left-wing parties and pro-immigration movement is also overwhelmingly feminist. The people who like to spew hatred towards immigrants tend to be the ones who do the same towards feminists.

However, I don't think we should read too much into the identity yet. It hasn't been confirmed from any reputable news source yet.
I went on KotakuInAction yesterday and saw exactly what you are talking about in the comments. Some Swedish gator was going on about feminists, immigrants and being accused of racism.

So goddamn bizarre. What kinda sword was it?

GAF unwritten rule #494: Any thread that has nothing to do with the US will eventually be about the US.

Well technically US almost has a monopoly on someone going nuts in school and killing kids. So you cant really blame people when it comes up. Its like getting mad at people mentioning Alien when talking about some other sci fi horror film.

NEO0MJ

it's probably before, witness said people thought it was a joke/prank and wanted to take pictures with him.

According to the translated story next below it:

Sara, not her real name, left the classroom to get a pen. Out in the corridor she met 2 schoolmates standing next to a man who had a mask on, and holding a bloody knife.

Unless he painted his weapons before going in then it looks like he took the time to pose for a photo between stabbings.

TheJoRu

it's probably before, witness said people thought it was a joke/prank and wanted to take pictures with him.

According to police at the recent press conference an adult was found stabbed just outside the main entrance, and a witness said that he had a bloody knife when they met him in the corridors. So he had probably already begun the attack when he entered the school.

vityaz

Unless he painted his weapons before going in then it looks like he took the time to pose for a photo between stabbings.

I heard on the livestream on Aftonbladet (newspaper) that he first attacked a teacher outside the school, so he might indeed have taken the time to pose for photos.

I checked that profile.

Quick summary of videos 'liked' -

Pro-Gamergate videos
The Amazing Atheist anti-Anita videos and various stuff about feminism, religion and stuff
Five Nights at Freddy's
Lots of prank calls about videogames (including Duke Nukem and GTA soundboards)
Family Guy
South Park clips

The "Balls of Steel" vid? I remember those. 4 Strength 4 Stam Leather Belt is my favorite.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I live pretty close to Trollhättan, about 50 km away from it.

This is fucking depressing, who would do something like this to small kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom