• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two's CEO (2K/Rockstar) weighs in on VR, doesn't sound very impressed

Mihos

Gold Member
I live in America and I have all those things he says I don't have.

But honestly, I have never cared if something was mainstream or not.

There's more to VR than room-scale experiences backed by intense visuals. I can't wait to be able to slip on a headset and surround myself with a virtual desktop, which will make the work I do on PC that much easier.

This seems to exactly be what hololens is trying to help with. And although I see that use case being more AR than VR, VR could be able to help there, too (especially as the two techs converge).

gamz

People still use coffee tables?

It's almost as if there was no market place outside of the US. Or people with more than 300 dollars. Wait how are Ferrari still in business?

Does he know that if no one buys it then it will never evolve... Jinkies.

Where else would you put your feet?

Onemic

Another thread for VR doom and gloom people to come in and talk about how theyre so right that VR will never take off.

Another thread to add to my growing collection when it does. He's not saying anything that proponents of VR havent said already. (minus the room thing)

-Horizon-

VR is not simply an addon for a game machine.

I'd say its something that blurs the line between add on and actual console (at least with what's out so far). Yes, you need a VR device to play VR games just like a regular console where you need the console to play the games. But you also need to connect the VR device to another system. Its not singular like a console is in that it can work alone. Unless of course its something like VR for phones.

Interfectum

Another thread for VR doom and gloom people to come in and talk about how theyre so right that VR will never take off.

Another thread to add to my growing collection when it does.

VR as it is today will not take off.

Some kind of VR/AR/MR hybrid in the future? Of course it will, but right now there's little reason for companies like T2 to jump on the VR train. They will be there when there's a viable mainstream device for sale.

Z..

It's misleading to say he's "unimpressed" just because he realizes how restrictive the fees and conditions for access are when one considers the mass market appeal of VR.

ghibli99

Good thing they don't cost $2000.
The space thing I think is an imaginary complaint. It's not that big of a hurdle to work around if you want to.
What does a VR-capable PC cost in addition to the $600-800 HMD? The headsets alone are expensive to many consumers.

The space thing is a huge limiting factor for a lot of people. Saying it's not just because it's not an issue for you is ignorant.

I'd say its something that blurs the line between add on and actual console (at least with what's out so far). Yes, you need a VR device to play VR games just like a regular console where you need the console to play the games. But you also need to connect the VR device to another system. Its not singular like a console is in that it can work alone. Unless of course its something like VR for phones.

It's just, I know we're on NeoGAF, a gaming centric forum, but when we have these discussions about VR and they consistently boil down to discussing VR's viability for gaming and comparing VR to gaming peripherals, I feel like we're missing the point entirely. VR's potential and ability to generate excitement is thanks to so much more than just what you can do with video gaming in a virtual reality.

Interfectum

It's just, I know we're on NeoGAF, a gaming centric forum, but when we have these discussions about VR and they consistently boil down to discussing VR's viability for gaming and comparing VR to gaming peripherals, I feel like we're missing the point entirely. VR's potential and ability to generate excitement is thanks to so much more than just what you can do with video gaming in a virtual reality.

I could see AR/VR taking off in the IT world where instead of having 10 monitors at your station you can just put on a helmet and have them all virtually. Same goes for security guards with video feeds and whatnot.

Onemic

Some kind of VR/AR/MR hybrid in the future? Of course it will, but right now there's little reason for companies like T2 to jump on the VR train. They will be there when there's a viable mainstream device for sale.

Gen 1 VR? Of course. Pretty much everyone that has bought into VR has said this. To me, it will take at the very least another 2 generations of hardware revisions before it's truly ready for the mass market(That is assuming that by gen 3 the cost has been slashed in half and the headsets are wireless). VR is a new platform and thus it will grow slowly over time, not right away.

The man is so right and so down to earth, in my case they fooled me twice with Playstation Move and Kinect. Not again sir, no way.

Well, you got duped. Those were clear gimmicks. VR isnt.

CHC

People still use coffee tables?

Uhhh yes.

It's almost as if there was no market place outside of the US.

If there was a country where it would be common to have an entire spare room in your house to dedicate to a hobby, it would probably be the US.

Or people with more than 300 dollars. Wait how are Ferrari still in business?

Does he know that if no one buys it then it will never evolve... Jinkies.

Ferrari are still in business because they are a niche company. Zelnick certainly didn't say that VR can't exist, period - he's just being realistic about how common it will be. He's also not telling "no one to buy it," he's just predicting an outcome and he's most likely going to be pretty accurate.

No tech as it is in its first consumer appearence ever took off.

Not even cars.

Disruptive tech takes time. But it eventually changes everything, for better or worse.

And this thread is already entertaining. Let's see what we get. For now we have "gimmick", "VR = Kinect" and other great contributions.

Can't wait for the inevitable "VR = 3D tv". Or something else.

spekkeh

Banned
"must not have tried it"
Nice.

I love my Vive, but this should be bloody obvious to everyone.

Still, as someone who was pretty pessimistic on VR when it started out (I'm sure I'm on at least ten crow eating lists that VR minded gaffers have compiled for when it does blow up), I have to say I'm very impressed with the support it already is getting even though there is as of yet no market for it. Very similar to Wii levels, and that was actually good for you.

Jacqli

And that is why I would love to see a renaissance of the arcades. I can't spend so much money on VR or I also lack of the space for the foreseeable future. But I would love to go to a mall and play some VR arcade machines. Or play in a roomspace with VR.

I liked what I have tried it out, but I still think it is not enough to purchase a headset AND upgrade my computer.

As someone who owns an Oculus Rift he is completely right, it made me realize we are still years away from VR being awesome. We need

1. extremely lightweight headset, preferably something along the lines of contacts
2. wireless implementation, this giant cable is awful
3. much better display tech, a jump from 1440p to 16k per eye

All of this is going to require a decade or more worth of advances in GPU, materials, and computing unfortunately.

Its fun at the hobbyist level but its still at that "but... why?" level.

I just hope there aren't a ton of game studios working hard on their VR only games and betting on huge sales.

Uhyve

Why do people keep acting like nobody already owns a gaming PC? It's completely a completely disingenuous argument against VR, nevermind the fact mobile VR exists and PSVR is releasing this year.

He's acting like VR doesn't work seated aswell, Oculus doesn't even have room scale tracking yet...

Dude just sounds overly cynical.

I am genuinely curious of where Room Scale ends up in the overall VR picture. It's the experience that most immerses you in the experience yet it's the most difficult to attain for a lot of people due to physical space restrictions. You can't ask people to move furniture every time they want to play a video game. It's just not realistic. You want to jump in and play. The barrier from deciding you want to play a game to actually playing is a huge thing that companies should be looking at. The amount of time it actually takes to getting to gameplay can be an important factor for a lot of people.

Taker666

The whole "walking around" with a VR headset on doesn't appeal to me (AR seems to be better for that type of thing as you can still see the real world at the same time).

Personally, I'd like the majority of VR games to be vehicle based. It's pretty easy for anyone to find a chair to sit in to simulate a seat in a car, spacecraft, boat or other vehicle.

Interfectum

TBH, I see VR disruption getting disrupted by AR devices like Hololens or what Magic Leap is working on. I honestly think that is where the 'future' is in terms of mainstream devices on people's faces.

It sucks that 3rd person VR experiences are getting over looked. BlazeRush, Lucky's Tale and Chronos have all been good to great.

Jb

Why do people keep acting like nobody already owns a gaming PC? It's completely a completely disingenuous argument against VR, nevermind the fact mobile VR exists and PSVR is releasing this year.

He's acting like VR doesn't work seated aswell, Oculus doesn't even have room scale tracking yet...

Dude just sounds overly cynical.

I don't think he's being cynical as much as he's saying making games for VR is probably not a good business decision right now. At least not if you're a company like Take Two.

The market is just too small and there are a number of issues (including the ones he pointed out in the interview) that will make it difficult for VR to be truly mainstream. At some point if the number of VR owners doesn't reach a certain threshold it's going to be hard for companies to keep sinking money into this. Even Facebook is going to expect to see some return on investment eventually.

TBH, I see VR disruption getting disrupted by AR devices like Hololens or what Magic Leap is working on. I honestly think that is where the 'future' is in terms of mainstream devices on people's faces.

It is. I've said it before, but one day your AR and VR device will be one in the same. That said, AR is still significantly further out there than VR and the two are going to have strengths and weaknesses that the other doesn't until they mature to that point of convergence (which will be a long while out).

Arulan

"We have like $300 to spend on an entertainment device and we do not have a dedicated room. We have a room for a screen, a couch, and controllers," he added. "We don't have something where you stand in a big open space and hold two controllers with something on your head--and not crash into the coffee table. We don't have that."

"We" aren't all console users and who can't be bothered to invest more than $300 or make the space for a groundbreaking experience.

VR will have to become more affordable to reach market saturation, but that's true for all new technology. That doesn't stop people from crying "not mainstream" though as some kind of valid argument. As for room-scale, it's not part of all VR yet, but it's so incredible of an experience that it probably will be soon enough. People dedicate floor space and specialized setups for speakers, gym equipment, TV, etc. For such a compelling and awing experience, why not do the same for VR? Not to mention the minimum space should be obtainable by most people.

It's one thing to be skeptical as a CEO of a company which largely focuses on mainstream console titles, but these arguments against it are unsubstantial. It's just another voice to the cry of "it's not mainstream-friendly".

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
He would prefer those $300 to go for the 5 different versions of GTA, of course. And the market (that they target) will be too small for the kind of games Take-Two makes for at least another 3-4 years, but we'll see if after that he will change his opinion.

Interfectum

It is. I've said it before, but one day your AR and VR device will be one in the same. That said, AR is still significantly further out there than VR and the two are going to have strengths and weaknesses that the other doesn't until they mature to that point of convergence (which will be a long while out).

I agree completely. Though I do think there will be an AR acceleration in the next 3-4 years that could surpass VR's momentum for mainstream dominance.

But yeah, sometime in the future they'll be one in the same.

Briarios

He's not wrong, but the most likely to hit mainstream adoption - PSVR - avoids most of the issues he's talking about, like price and space.

I can sit right on my couch and play the new Ace Combat game or watch a movie like it's in IMAX.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
3D, VR, AR and co. mainly sell hardware - there will be 1-2 or software must haves but the market is quite limited for any AAA publisher to go in hard. Not much diffrent than new Nintendo system that rely on Gimmicks to sell hardware, 3rd Partys wont support them either unless the userbase is big enough and willing to spend money on 3rd Party games.

IvanJ

Banned
I guess I am with 2K people.
VR still has Sony to try and make it popular, after the first two devices flamed out spectacularly in a short period.

But I predicted a long time ago that this VR fad will die out quickly. It's already with one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel, in 2018 this experiment will already be forgotten.

pj

Banned
He's not wrong, but the most likely to hit mainstream adoption - PSVR - avoids most of the issues he's talking about, like price and space.

I can sit right on my couch and play the new Ace Combat game or watch a movie like it's in IMAX.

If imax played 480p youtube videos

Cipherr

Nothing he says is wrong. People don't generally have rooms with space needed for something like that currently. Might change in the future, but not yet.

There's plenty of large barriers to VR. They won't remain so large over time.

And when that time comes, nothing in this says that he would be against it, but he isn't being unrealistic here.

The Kinect sold like 25m+.
If that's the case, then VR will do fine.

I mean, last gen consoles did what, ~260million. Handhelds? DS did 150million PSP like 82 million and then toss in PC gaming which isn't as easily measured.

Versus 25 million.

It's not inaccurate to say right now in the face of even a large drop from last gen that those 25 million would be considered rather small in the face of traditional gaming. That doesn't mean it can't grow, and that doesn't mean its not "okay" as you described. But its definitely small/niche and unlikely to springboard into massive numbers in the course of this console generation for example. Theres not alot of reason for Rockstar to look at it versus PC/Consoles/Handhelds right now unless they personally wanted to.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I agree that initially there will be some issue. I think that his and riccitiello doubts are fair

Stevey

$300? Not everyone has that kind of financial constraint.
No market for it? That's why they sold out instantly.
Sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Sounds like he's referring to the Vive rather than VR in general.
Yup. Full room scale vr vs seated Oculus/PSVR experiences which are also available on the Vive lol. You can't really use the space excuse when talking about the latter experiences which will be the majority of VR experiences initially imo.

BibiMaghoo

I got to have a good spin on a retail OR today, and while the experience is fantastic, and a real improvement on DK2, he is spot on. For this to take off it has to not be expensive, and that means cheaper units coming down the line, which in turn can only happen if enough interest is maintained until then.

Krejlooc

Banned
Yup. Full room scale vr vs seated Oculus/PSVR experiences which are also available on the Vive lol. You can't really use the space excuse when talking about the latter experiences which will be the majority of VR experiences initially imo.

There are more roomscale and standing VR games on steam than seated. 194 to 169.

Briarios

Care to provide more details on this? Sales data? Pictures of them sitting on shelves? Big discounts?

I would go with very low expectations in regards to that.

It's hyperbole, I'm just talking about the cinematic mode for use with Netflix and stuff :) I'm quite aware it won't compare to IMAX projections, but it'll be better than the gaming TV I use ... and, I think it's a feature a lot of people will appreciate that doesn't require an open room.

Sjefen

vr-fall.gif

Sky Chief

I have those things. Also you don't need a dedicated room, I think most people have enough space somewhere in their house or apartment without having to move anything or just slightly rearrange furniture. Furthermore, a lot of avid gamers already have PCs that area capable of VR.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
There are more roomscale and standing VR games on steam than seated. 194 to 169.
Interesting, thanks for the stats. Do you happen to know about the majority of the ones on the Oculus store and for PSVR? Cause I doubt the majority of them will be room scale; standing experiences, I can totally see though.

Top Bottom