• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two's CEO (2K/Rockstar) weighs in on VR, doesn't sound very impressed

Krejlooc

Banned
Interesting, thanks for the stats. Do you happen to know about the majority of the ones on the Oculus store and for PSVR? Cause I doubt the majority of them will be room scale; standing experiences, I can totally see though.

Oculus Home has a tiny number of games, with a majority of the store's games also being on steam in the first place. Steam has way, way more VR titles than Oculus Home.

PSVR's store isn't launched.

AMD just did their part in bringing down the entry price for VR. Now every other manufacturer needs to follow suit if they want VR to hit mainstream. Sony is in the best position to do this.

Good thing we have PSVR a $300 system that works with seated experiences and doesn't need big rooms to work with...

Sounds like this guy is only talking about PC VR, not in general.

Good thing we have PSVR a $300 system that works with seated experiences and doesn't need big rooms to work with...

Yep. Sounds like he talking about the Vive specifically which is the pinnacle of VR tech now.

IvanJ

Banned
Care to provide more details on this? Sales data? Pictures of them sitting on shelves? Big discounts?

All I know is what I've read. Poor shipments, plenty of backorders, people not getting their devices.
Of course I don't have sales data, but what is expected? 10 thousand devices, 100 thousand? Somehow, from all I've read, I have a tough time believing it's a million. Across both devices.

So, what is 2K's interest? Create a game to sell 10K copies total? Spend money and resources on such a niche market?

That's why I think that VR so far has failed, and that Sony is the last chance for its survival.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Room scale VR has always been a non-starter. Headset only VR will be just fine as more software releases.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
All I know is what I've read. Poor shipments, plenty of backorders, people not getting their devices.
Of course I don't have sales data, but what is expected? 10 thousand devices, 100 thousand? Somehow, from all I've read, I have a tough time believing it's a million. Across both devices.

So you don't know what was expected and you don't know what they sold. You don't know that they are not yet out at retail or what is out is already sold out.
And yet you stated they flamed out. Without any kind of doubt. Maybe you didn't want to say flame out? Maybe you have no idea what you're talking about?

newsguy

I sent back my Vive. My thoughts are that the tech has a future and the feeling of presence needs to be experienced to understand how amazing the tech is. Unfortunately right now the software isn't there and there are very few games worth playing. That will probably be the case for some years IMO. Until execs like the one in the OP really get behind these headsets, we won't get the AAA games that will bring users in.

I sent back my Vive. My thoughts are that the tech has a future and the feeling of presence needs to be experienced to understand how amazing the tech is. Unfortunately right now the software isn't there and there are very few games worth playing. That will probably be the case for some years IMO. Until execs like the one in the OP really get behind these headsets, we won't get the AAA games that will bring users in.

What people don't realize is that the Vive supports seated games as well. But why do seated when you have the roomscale.

I believe the minimum for Vive room scale is 6.5'x5'.

It is. I have the minimum space and my vive works brilliantly.

spekkeh

Banned

So, what is 2K's interest? Create a game to sell 10K copies total? Spend money and resources on such a niche market?

That's why I think that VR so far has failed, and that Sony is the last chance for its survival.

I don't know how accurate Steam Charts is, but the most popular Steam VR game seems to be The Lab, at an average of 135 concurrent players. Considering it's the main pack in that would put the total amount of Vives somewhere in the mid thousands I reckon? Together with Oculus Rift CV, I'm guessing some 10k userbase? If one third of those buy your game, that would mean you could invest, oh I don't know, one man month in a game?

I don't know how accurate Steam Charts is, but the most popular Steam VR game seems to be The Lab, at an average of 135 concurrent players. Considering it's the main pack in that would put the total amount of Vives somewhere in the mid thousands I reckon? Together with Oculus Rift CV, I'm guessing some 10k userbase? If one third of those buy your game, that would mean you could invest, oh I don't know, one man month in a game?

Nope. Vive is approaching 70K users and the pack-ins are Tilt Brush, job Simulator, and fantastic contraption. Look up how many people total have played the game to date.

newsguy

What people don't realize is that the Vive supports seated games as well. But why do seated when you have the roomscale.

I learned quickly via project cars that seated is not for me. Cold sweats and nausea hours after taking the headset off. No standing experience made me even remotely sick.

Krejlooc

Banned

The lab has 135k owners with 78k players total

Space Pirate trainer has 45k owners with 30k players total

tilt brush has 75k owners and 50k players total

Fantastic Contraption has 70k owners and 43k players total

your estimates are way, way off.

spekkeh

Banned
Nope. Vive is approaching 70K users and the pack-ins are Tilt Brush, job Simulator, and fantastic contraption. Look up how many people total have played the game to date.

Now that you mention it, they did say that they sold 15k in the beginning, so I'm probably way off (on the other hand, it's not clear how many of those are sold to companies).
Actually it says 140k owners on SteamSpy? That would be pretty good.

edit ^ yeah I noticed.

I thought it was that low because I remember looking at the Hover Junkers stats a few days after it released and going yeesh.

Krejlooc

Banned
Now that you mention it, they did say that they sold 15k in the beginning, so I'm probably way off (on the other hand, it's not clear how many of those are sold to companies).
Actually it says 140k owners on SteamSpy? That would be pretty good.

edit ^ yeah I noticed.

If you want to monitor how quickly new VR software uptake is, keep an eye on the steam spy figures for Pool Nation VR, since it just launched a few hours ago.

poodaddy

Can't say I disagree. The tech is interesting, but... A lot of it just doesn't make sense.
Yeah this is me. It's cool tech, but my apartment isn't even big enough to use vr, and I've got a pretty decent size two bedroom that's more than big enough for my wife and daughter. The space and price constraints are just too much right now. I don't think it's stupid, and I don't think it's a waste of money, I just think it's unfeasible for the vast majority of the populace.

Yeah this is me. It's cool tech, but my apartment isn't even big enough to use vr, and I've got a pretty decent size two bedroom that's more than big enough for my wife and daughter. The space and price constraints are just too much right now. I don't think it's stupid, and I don't think it's a waste of money, I just think it's unfeasible for the vast majority of the populace.

I live in a tiny, and I mean tiny New York City apt and I made it work. Where there's a will there's a way. But yeah this isn't for everyone... yet.

Zalusithix

As someone who owns an Oculus Rift he is completely right, it made me realize we are still years away from VR being awesome. We need

1. extremely lightweight headset, preferably something along the lines of contacts
2. wireless implementation, this giant cable is awful
3. much better display tech, a jump from 1440p to 16k per eye

All of this is going to require a decade or more worth of advances in GPU, materials, and computing unfortunately.

Its fun at the hobbyist level but its still at that "but... why?" level.

I just hope there aren't a ton of game studios working hard on their VR only games and betting on huge sales.

Contacts? 16k per eye? Seriously, we don't need anything close to those things for it to be awesome or mass market successful. By those levels of exaggeration, TV wouldn't have been worth it for decades. "You know, this whole TV thing needs to be nearly invisible on my wall, with image quality indistinguishable from real life before it's worth getting one for my home." Computers would have never taken off because they were big, bulky and slow. Hell, cellphones still shouldn't be mainstream because they can't go months between charges.

There are things that need to happen before VR is ready for the mass market. Getting to the point where it is indistinguishable from reality with no inconveniences is not one of them.

Arulan

I guess I am with 2K people.
VR still has Sony to try and make it popular, after the first two devices flamed out spectacularly in a short period.

But I predicted a long time ago that this VR fad will die out quickly. It's already with one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel, in 2018 this experiment will already be forgotten.

What a lot of nonsense and unsubstantiated statements. Flamed out? Both the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift have been on back-order since release, and the minute it was available on Best Buy they sold out instantly. The demand is clearly there. What do shipment problems have to do with the viability of VR, or the success of either platform long-term?

As for early units sold, it's still an enthusiast product, but here is some data to go by (as far as SteamVR is concerned):

Steamspy data:

Audioshield owners: 45,510 ± 5,123
The Lab owners (Free): 141,520 ± 9,034
Fantastic Contraption owners (pack-in): 69,702 ± 6,341

I'd say that's a very healthy start for just one of the two expensive devices, at two months in, and despite back-orders.

As for PSVR being the savior of VR, I can't help but laugh at the idea that a VR headset on a closed-platform, a console of all things, is going to determine the success of VR.

IvanJ

Banned
So you don't know what was expected and you don't know what they sold. You don't know that they are not yet out at retail or what is out is already sold out.
And yet you stated they flamed out. Without any kind of doubt. Maybe you didn't want to say flame out? Maybe you have no idea what you're talking about?
It is all a possibility, one way or the other. Maybe it's a success, maybe it's a flameout. I have no idea.
And when that's the case, I tend to agree with a named executive of a multibillion company, and not with some random forum user.

I played several Lab games at a party recently. Stopped by the Windows Store for their Vive demo as well.

Walked away unimpressed. Just a different way to experience the same old games. Wasn't that different from 90s VR either, save the paint demo.

qcf x2

I mean, that's how a CEO of a company that makes billions(?) thinks... companies like Take Two and EA are probably going to be taking the wait and see approach, since everything they do has to get approved by suits and said suits are not going to want to take risks on emergent technology / something that could potentially limit their customer base.

Once the tech is in consumer hands by the millions, watch how quickly their tune changes.

neerg

I live in a tiny, and I mean tiny New York City apt and I made it work. Where there's a will there's a way. But yeah this isn't for everyone... yet.

On the flip side I live in a house in the uk, and I don't have the room for minimum requirements. I'd like to have, it's not a cost issue or a not want issue, purely it's not practical.

Rainer70

How is VR a 'gimmick'? It's a genuinely enabling new medium that has applications across all walks of life. You can achieve meaningful experiences and QOL enhancements using VR in ways that are impossible or tenuous with the devices VR is commonly compared to on this forum. It seems to me as though you're looking at VR from the exact same limited perspective I already pointed out - that it's a video game device, for video games. VR can be so much more than that and just handwaving it away as a 'gimmick' says to me that you don't understand VR and moreover that you don't even want to. Fair enough, but gimmick sure as hell isn't the word for what VR is.

Move and Kinect, as dedicated 360 and PS3 peripherals, were destined to be gaming-centric devices from day one, and were marketed as devices through which you'd change the way you controlled games. VR is not simply 'for games' in the same vein that those devices were.

This guy gets it.

I cringe when I hear/see people compare VR to 3D TVs, PS Move, Kinect. The way VR has excited multiple industries (automobile, space, medicine, more) pretty much goes against the notion that VR is "just another gaming gimmick" (Not quoting anyone specific, just an example of what I've seen presented).

Interfectum

As for PSVR being the savior of VR, I can't help but laugh at the idea that a VR headset on a closed-platform, a console of all things, is going to determine the success of VR.

You don't think a console can help determine the success of VR but a gaming PC will?

IMO, neither will determine VR's success. It'll be a device that's not dependent on either.

Arulan

You don't think a console can help determine the success of VR but a gaming PC will?

IMO, neither will determine VR's success. It'll be a device that's not dependent on either.

I didn't say PSVR wouldn't help, especially with some early adoption from console users, but the VR industry's fate isn't going to be saved by a VR headset on a closed-platform console. VR will thrive, a lot of which is beyond even gaming, on open-platforms that have use-cases throughout several industries, and this will be done on PC and Mobile.

People still use coffee tables?

It's almost as if there was no market place outside of the US. Or people with more than 300 dollars. Wait how are Ferrari still in business?

Does he know that if no one buys it then it will never evolve... Jinkies.

so what you're saying is they should make a game that will turn a profit at ... ~10k units? so, a $15,000 game?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I see his point. I hope Valve comes out with something that makes VR a must have. After watching GiantBomb go through a lot of the games, there's nothing right now that's convincing me to take the plunge.

Calm Mind

vr-fall.gif

Comedy gold.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It is all a possibility, one way or the other. Maybe it's a success, maybe it's a flameout. I have no idea.
And when that's the case, I tend to agree with a named executive of a multibillion company, and not with some random forum user.

It's not about VR being successful or not on the long run. That remains to be seen. It's about you making some hyperbolic statement with no base in reality.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
A $2000 entertainment device and a room dedicated to it, is pretty close to hyperbole, and I would expect better from the CEO of a major game publisher.

You don't need a $2000 entertainment device. You need a relatively expensive PC but that cost of entry is already dropping with $200 GPUs. And you can use those PCs for other things too.

And you don't in any way need a room dedicated to it. You need a few square metres of clear space but again, you can use those rooms for other things too. Guest bedroom with a foldaway bed? Slide the coffee table to the side of the room, you can swing your arms over the sofa area. Lots of ways to make the limited space you need

diaspora

Tethered VR isn't going to be a mass market thing, it just won't. Mobile VR and generally untethered VR is probably where the industry needs to go.

Do you want to point to the part in the OP where Zelnick calls it a "flameout"? Can you define "flameout"?

Top Bottom